• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Team Spotlight: Detonate

Ever wonder what it's like to be a sponsored Smash player? Had conversations on what it might be like to be on a team or in a serious crew? Well we're here to dispel some of the mystery while highlighting some of the teams in Smash! This Team Highlight features Detonate, a recently re-branded eSports organization that has a solid group of Smashers under its banner. I sat down to talk with John "Lupo" Grande, co-owner and head of marketing as well as Winston "SpookyRaver" Fitzgerald, the game manger for Detonate Smash, as well as the players for the team to talk about Detonate and what it does in Smash.

---​

SmashCapps: So SpookyRaver, what does being the manager for Smash entail?

SpookyRaver: I'm in charge of making sure everything smash related runs smoothly, make sure our players are happy, recruit players and streamers, and help build and maintain healthy and happy bonds with players, fans, and other personnel.

SmashCapps: What inspired a small growing organization like yours to get into Smash? A lot of larger orgs consider Smash players a "luxury sign" so I'm very curious.

Lupo: I think Smash is one of the games with the strongest senses of community. Most orgs take it as a luxury because there aren't big prize pools or developer support to make it profitable, but that isn't what we're looking for from our Smash team. We want to help the smash scene grow and find our fans from what I consider an extremely loyal group of people.

SmashCapps: I like that as a goal! So who is the current full smash roster?

SpookyRaver: Our current roster consists of three players. First there's Darkflame from MD/VA. He's a very well known captain falcon player in every game except for Brawl where he was the best Ice Climbers player in that region. Then there is 1neon1 who is a New Hampshire 4th ranked player on their power rankings. Last but not least Crispy Tacoz a NorCal Shulk player who is constantly tinkering with Shulk and was widely considered one of the best Felicia players in UMVC3.

By getting sponsored by detonate, my passion, competitive drive, and heart for Smash reignited again. I'm ready to explode in my gameplay and on the competitive Smash scene. - Darkflame
SmashCapps: Why did you reach out to these players in particular?

SpookyRaver: When I contact players or when they contact me the first thing I look for is personality. I want to grow the Smash department with the most friendliest people and most loyal people. I reached out to Darkflame because of how personable he was as a player and how humble of a guy he is. When I first started exploring Twitch I ran into 1neon1's stream and the very first thing that stood out to me was how friendly and humble he was to everyone in his stream. I first found out about Crispy Tacoz because of his name but then started to talk to him and everyone in the NorCal Smash scene and discovered how closely bonded they are. Tacoz is another friendly funny guy and is also humble. I want to grow detonates Smash scene with our fans first. We wouldn't be anything without the bomb squad.

Lupo: I couldn't ask for a better group of players. Each and everyone of our players has the potential to grow not only as people but as serious contenders in the overall scene

SmashCapps: What does the team offer the players competing?

Lupo: All of our players are still early into their career and aren't looking for a salary or anything like that. What we give them in terms of cash is solely based on what they need to go to. For any majors that they can go to, we let them know we will get them there. It's not a very legal thing really, but we have a lot of trust built with our people because of it. If and when our players do grow to a stage that they deserve a salary, we're absolutely ready to give them that. Of course, we'll also be providing them with apparel when it's made, but that's honestly a bigger benefit to us rather than them.

SmashCapps: So for the team, where is the next place we'll be able to see all of these players competing? Will they be at any big upcoming events?

SpookyRaver: The next major event that we have plans on getting everyone out to is Apex if its announced. I know Tacoz is going to be at Genesis 3. Big house and MLG we won't have anybody competing at unfortunately. Tacoz competes weekly at Smash the Foundry. Darkflame can be seen on VGBootcamp's weekly stream of the Xanadu weekly quite regularly, and 1neon1 attends any of his regions weeklies. They don't have a big name tournament like Xanadu or Smash the Foundry but 1neon1 has attended Winter Brawl and other tristate tournaments in the past.

Its weird going from playing this game for fun with friends growing up to now joining a team and playing for money at tournaments. Its more like joining a family then joining a sponsorship and organization. - 1neon1

SmashCapps: For players out there who might be interested in finding sponsorships in general, what kinds of tips can you give them to make them look more attractive to said sponsors?

Lupo: Well the obvious part is getting good results. What I recommend everyone who contacts us is to be active on social media, primarily twitter because its what almost every sponsor likes. Secondly, if there are locals that are streamed, make it your priority to get there and make a name for yourself on camera. Be yourself, but be confident and friendly. Finally, make sure that you don't just jump at a sponsorship because you think it's the next step. Plenty of people have horror stories from other companies, myself included. Nobody needs a sponsor, so make sure you find a good deal, but also good people that will follow through with promises and support your game, not just use you as a promotional aspect.

---

To those interested in seeing more of Team Detonate be sure check out their Twitch channel, visit their website, follow them on Twitter, or like their team page on Facebook. Team Detonate also recently started a Smash and Smite podcast which features 1neon1, Lup, and the Smite production manager for the team. It is streamed every Tuesday at 8pm EST and I will be joining them on tonight's episode to talk more about the team and Smash in general. Consider tuning in and don't forget to leave a comment below with suggestions for a Smash crew, team, or organization for us to highlight in a future article!

Last edited:

Comments

Neon's a cool dude! He's part of the New Hampshire crew, and he makes matches HYPE. With a few more tournament results, he'll soon be #3 in NH behind Kuma and I.

Detonate's Smash 4 podcasts are cool, and I wouldn't mind guesting in one down the line if I'm relevant to the topic <3

Top Bottom