• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash stream set-up help please!

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Hey could anyone point me in the direction of a relatively cheap simple starter audio mixer for steaming/recording smash with commentary. I have 2 turtle beach x11 headsets and we use an elgato capture card with splitters to output in Component or composite to the crt. We have been using a blue snowball microphone for our recording and it really hasn't been working the best for us thanks to background noise poor audio quality ect. If you could really help me out it would be MUCH appreciated were really trying our best to make high quality smash content.

Kadano

Magical Express
If you use a full-size PC (ATX or µATX), you can buy a used PCI or PCIe sound card for 10-20$-ish and mix the two microphones (on-board and Xonar) by using them as OBS audio sources.

In fact, you can even do three at the same time if your on-board sound supports simultaneous front and rear microphone inputs.

That’s how I do it at least. I never use laptops so I don’t know how to deal with them. (I use Realtek ALC892 and Asus Xonar DG.)

Last edited:

TheModes

Smash Rookie
Hey could anyone point me in the direction of a relatively cheap simple starter audio mixer for steaming/recording smash with commentary. I have 2 turtle beach x11 headsets and we use an elgato capture card with splitters to output in Component or composite to the crt. We have been using a blue snowball microphone for our recording and it really hasn't been working the best for us thanks to background noise poor audio quality ect. If you could really help me out it would be MUCH appreciated were really trying our best to make high quality smash content.
Did you figure out what to do? I'm in the same stage as you and looking for an external soundcard for my laptop.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Did you figure out what to do? I'm in the same stage as you and looking for an external soundcard for my laptop.
Well we use a desktop computer and we ended up using something as simple as 2 female splitters. I didn't really expect it but it really works perfectly well. We'll probably eventually get an external sound card or audio mixer of some kind but for now this works great. Just see for yourself:

TheModes

Smash Rookie
Well we use a desktop computer and we ended up using something as simple as 2 female splitters. I didn't really expect it but it really works perfectly well. We'll probably eventually get an external sound card or audio mixer of some kind but for now this works great. Just see for yourself:

Yeah, that works really well it seems.

So you used 2 gaming headsets and split it the mic input?

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that works really well it seems.

So you used 2 gaming headsets and split it the mic input?
Yep 2 turtle beach X11 headsets and 2 y splitters (1 for mic input 1 for audio) then record with Xsplit. I was pretty surprised but hey not really guna complain lol

TheModes

Smash Rookie
Yep 2 turtle beach X11 headsets and 2 y splitters (1 for mic input 1 for audio) then record with Xsplit. I was pretty surprised but hey not really guna complain lol
That's awesome! I was literally about to drop $200+ on mixer/amp/wires. Instead I'm going to spend $4.

Kadano

Magical Express
Daisy chaining certainly works, but for easy and cheap channel mixing, using a PC instead of a laptop makes things much easier. The onboard Realtek audio supports separating front mic and back mic, so you can use them as two different sources in OBS. If you have a dedicated sound card, you can use it in conjunction with the Realtek. For example, with my Asus Xonar DG (30€), I have an additional mic input that I can use while the Realtek drivers and inputs are active as well without any problems.

However, dedicated soundcards seem to rarely support separating front mic and back mic. Which is a shame, considering the Xonar cards have considerably higher signal-to-noise ratios than the Realtek drivers.

Top Bottom