• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Panel at PAX 2014

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Are you attending PAX Prime 2014 in Seattle, Washington? If you are, make sure to check out a special panel on the Super Smash Brothers community tonight, Saturday, August 30th in the Wyvern Theater at 9:30PM. The panel will feature four special guests who know the community and it's history inside and out. Join them as they discuss the Smash communities development, history, and the changing scene of Smash on the eve gamings' biggest launch of the year.

Panelists
  • Chris 'AlphaZealot' Brown - Smashboards owner
  • D'Ron 'D1' Maingrette - Commentator [EVO, Apex, MLG, Nintendo Invitational]
  • Travis 'Samox' Beauchamp - Producer of The Smash Brothers documentary
  • Juan 'Hungrybox' Debiedma - Professional Smasher, Team Curse

Panel Description
"The Smash Brothers" documentary took the gaming and eSports world by surprise in 2013 - for the first time many learned about the passionate, deep history of the Smash Brothers community. Where did it all start? How did this grassroots community become one of the most powerful voices in gaming? What does the future have in store? Learn about the history and development of the community from it's key players. Interested in becoming a Smasher? We'll also let you know how to get involved.
Click here to see the full PAX Prime 2014 Schedule!

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Before you all get excited, the lack of a Nintendo rep on the panel means that we are VERY unlikely to see a character there.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Ah, all melee players but one. How FAIR. How UNBIASED. How DIVERSE.

I'm so sick of this garbage.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I want a reveal, but we got Shulk, and that's hype as is.

Those who expect a character reveal like SDCC are probably gonna be disappointed.

Bazkip

Smash Master

Well with Melee being the much bigger game currently, that's...actually representative of the current state of competitive Smash.

Tero.

Smash Champion

Are you stupid?

samox isn't a player
D1 plays Melee, Brawl, PM
AZ is more of a Pokemon player but he played both Melee and Brawl
hbox is the only actual Melee only player

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I hope Samox finally drops the Armada video.

Or maybe he'll blow us away with a part 2 that's focused on pm

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
i know the feel :substitute: . I have never been in an Nintendo official event. But hey, maybe we have some news about smash.:4pacman:
The only Nintendo event I've been to is Smash-Fest I believe.
Also, just wanted to say this, seeing how we JUST got a reveal yesterday I'm not sure we'll get another one today. We might though.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Warning Received
Smash 4 will be the end of Melee's dictatorship of the scene. I can't wait...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

You do realize that Melee gets all the views, all the big name sponsors, all the entrants, all the hype, all the focus, and a central part of this is the documentary about the Melee competitive scene right=???

You call be butthurt, but the fact of the matter is Melee brings in more entrants, more viewers, more eyes, and more positive reception than any other smash game.

Melee has had I think at least one 50 entrant tournament every week this year, and has clearly become the main event game.

Besides by the sounds of it, you aren't a competitive player or into the competitive scene, so this shouldn't concern you in the first place.

Melee grows because the scene is organized in a fantastic way, the players advertise themselves well, the streams are of high quality, and it excites viewers. It's that simple.

Edit: why is there complains about an article about a video of the Melee competitive scene? This is Smash World Forums "the home of competitive smash". If the mods had guts, they'd infracting this troll and all the morons who liked his post.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Smash 4 will be the end of Melee's dictatorship of the scene. I can't wait...
Why do we got people hating on smash games and communities=???

Posts like these should get infractions.

Regardless, of you don't like it, don't pay it any attention or at least don't come to a clearly Melee-centric post and diss the game and the scene.

Tl;dr grow up.

Gef

Smash Cadet
Before you all get excited, the lack of a Nintendo rep on the panel means that we are VERY unlikely to see a character there.
Umm I don't think anyone thought there would be...
Edit: Actually seems like there was a few. Still that's a really stupid thing to think.

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer

Please, enlighten us with a player from another official Smash game that is well known to the general gaming public.

Oh, there aren't any? How about that.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Not sure what's funnier, Xyro complaining about biased representation, or that someone thinks Xyro isn't competitive.

shapular

Smash Ace
Top Bottom