• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Melee joins EVO Roster!

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
EVO organizers announced today that Super Smash Brothers Melee would officially be included on this years game roster. Over a month ago organizers said they were reserving a spot for the game - if Nintendo gave approval. This announcement means that talks with Nintendo have reached a point where organizers are comfortable announcing the game as part of their official 2014 lineup.

In 2013 Super Smash Brothers Melee was briefly canceled at EVO by Nintendo - after the community had raised nearly $95,000 for breast cancer research just to be included in the tournament. Melee stole the show from nearly all other games, including the EVO staple Street Fighter, when it briefly broke and held the record for most watched fighting game ever. Melee had 696 entrants at last years tournament.

Evo 2014 Lineup
  • Super Smash Brothers Melee
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Killer Instinct
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us
  • King of Fighters XIII
  • BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
<- Ahead of the information curve circuit.
I can't wait!!

Last edited:

Surgeon

Smash Rookie
NNID
thefreakysurgeon
I woke up to a snow day today, and then found out about this? Today's just getting better and better

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
#thankyounintendo

I honestly had my doubts that Nintendo would go through with this. But now I can lay my doubts to rest... for this year at least.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Very very glad to see Nintendo being cooperative on this front. Hopefully this is the start of a bump-free future from now on.

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
Awesome to hear that Melee is going to be featured in all these events. I'm hoping Smash 4 will come close to the success of Melee's.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Awesome to hear that Melee is going to be featured in all these events. I'm hoping Smash 4 will come close to the success of Melee's.
At the very least these successes in talking with Nintendo should suggest that if the community supports Smash 4, Nintendo won't get in the way.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I cannot put up enough Yesh videos to explain my happiness.

Top Bottom