• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Melee added to MLG Anaheim 2014, $15,000 prize purse

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Update: MLG has confirmed that Brawl will not be at the Anaheim tournament. They have also announced a $15,000 prize purse - the largest for Melee since MLG Vegas in 2006 offered $36,000 between singles and doubles. Brawl at MLG Dallas in 2010 had a $35,000 prize purse.

Major League Gaming, via Solid Jake, has confirmed that Super Smash Brothers Melee will be a part of their Anaheim event, to be held June 20-22, 2014. The news comes just after EVO organizers announced that Melee will join their event officially. That both organizations announce on the same day means positive word must have come from Nintendo and the events were green lighted. MLG will be joining an already crowded summer tournament season, with CEO 2014 in June featuring Melee and Project M, and EVO in July. Rules and other information has yet to be released. Players will be paying close attention to potential prize money - Brawl in 2010 had $7,500 guaranteed in prize money at the four regular season tournaments and $35,000 at the 2010 MLG Dallas Championship.

Information on whether Super Smash Brothers Brawl will also be included has yet to be released.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
<- still ahead of the info curve.
I cannot die until I've seen this and EVO!

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
It's times like this when I wish I could play Melee better.

And y'know, live near these tournaments.

Spröcket22

Smash Rookie
This is going to be one of the biggest years for smash, I am unbelievably hyped! Thank you Nintendo for giving MLG the OK

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Great summer tournaments, E3 2014... June and July are gonna rock.

Hopefully this will mean support for any game that the competitive community decides should be at this types of tournaments.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
First EVO 2014 and now this? I'm sure a lot of people will be hyped to watch the pros this summer! Along with a new Smash on the way, so will a new tournament scene be born! Oh, and what about those streams Mew2King said he'll be doing once the game releases?

On the other hand, as someone who enjoys competitive Brawl, quite disappointing that Brawl hasn't been appearing at any other tourneys besides Apex.

PandaJaws

Smash Rookie
yes... Yes!... YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Whooooa, I don't play Melee but I sure as hell like watching it a ton more than Brawl, so consider me very excited for some livestreams from this baby
I really like watching Brawl. Brawl has this really appealing movement/animation to it. This was inherent from Brawl's first trailer. I don't know how to describe it, but Smash 4 has it too.

But on the other hand Melee matches are more intense. Anything could happen at any moment due to the speed, due to the air movement, and due to the "knees" "wobbles" and "rests." Looks like Smash 4 is bringing back that frantic gameplay.

Another one I like watching is 64 because I'm a Nintendo fan first, Smash fan second, and it's the only one that got the Nintendo aesthetic completely right. Its the only one that feels purely Nintendo. Melee and Brawl took too many liberties in a lot of aspects, but 64 Is so vibrant, so simple and so Nintendo! I'm so happy that Smash 4 looks to be following the same path.

I wish we could get a combination of all three games' strengths... That would be a dream come true. Oh wait... We are getting that. Forget nostalgia, forget memories, and forget skepticism for the unknown, Smash 4 will be the best game in the series.

Last edited:

K.Louis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0421-0500
Hype!

But can someone clarify what prize purse means? Is that the total pot pool of the tournament or is that the beginning pool before entry fees and whatnot?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
lol brawl's dying
You know, I almost thought we could go a whole thread without some kind of Brawl bashing. After seeing everyone just happy to see Smash Bros. being represented and played at a higher level of awareness, you gotta come in and be a **** about it.

--

On that note, WOOHOO TO MLG AND EVO REP FOR SMASH! If I played more and brushed up on my Sheik skills more, I'd compete more.

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
You know, I almost thought we could go a whole thread without some kind of Brawl bashing. After seeing everyone just happy to see Smash Bros. being represented and played at a higher level of awareness, you gotta come in and be a **** about it.

--

On that note, WOOHOO TO MLG AND EVO REP FOR SMASH! If I played more and brushed up on my Sheik skills more, I'd compete more.
You are really awesome. Nice to see real supporters of the community, not just the games.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
I'm with you.. where the hell is smash 4? Melee and brawl are old news. quote="Jarbinks9/11, post: 16472598, member: 236921"]No smash 4...?[/quote]
I

Top Bottom