• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Island X: A Super Smash Flash 2 Tournament

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

The Super Smash Flash 2 scene is a very unique one compared to many of the other Smash games and fan games. While they've had live events and even had some well known players like Hungrybox stream the game, the game still has a small but steadily growing tight knit community that mostly plays online. Just like live scenes the Super Smash Flash 2 scene has had tournaments series of its own, and two of the largest ones, Smash Island and the X Tournament Series are combining together to host a mega tournament: Smash Island X.

Smash Island was originally created to be an online Smash 64 tournament and eventually became a multi-purpose tournament instead with events for Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and PM. Entrants started to decline for the event slowly, and Smash Island IV the biggest event was the Super Smash Flash 2 side-tournament. At that point, the tournament became a Super Smash Flash 2 exclusive event. One of the regulars at the Smash Island events, DoqtorKirby, started the X Series last December doing a few things differently and also finding success. There have been around 100 players approximately who have signed up for one of those events with twenty to thirty regulars who have came to many of the tournaments in both series, creating their own rivalries, stories, and top players just like every other Smash scene.

See What Some Of The Best In Super Smash Flash 2 Can Do

For most of the past year, Kyoz was seen as the undisputed "King of Flash" His Marth and Zero Suit Samus helped him sweep almost every Smash Island event, and very few people have beaten him, let alone hold a positive record against him. However, Lunary has been able to defeat Kyoz in many of their recent encounters with his Meta Knight, Marth, and Lloyd. Another epic rivalry to watch out for is RemPrower and Sekanor. RemPrower is currently the best Tails player in the game, whose least favorite matchup to play is Samus. Sekanor is a pure Samus player, who has proven to be one of the best players in the game. Their matches have been intense, almost always going down to a final game, final stock situation.

With these four and many more strong names clashing together as two tournaments collide there is bound be nothing but pure excitement! Smash Island X is happening today March 28th. You can watch it streamed live on DoqtorKirby's Twitch channel.

SmashCapps considered entering to show off Black Mage but was pretty sure he'd get beaten badly. Follow him on Twitter and let him know if he should enter the next tournament.

Last edited:

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
It's incredible to think that a flash-based fangame could get this big. The Smash community sure is unique (in a good way) and accepting!

Myself, I've never tried out SSF2 much. If you download it can you use a USB controller?

DarthTaco

Smash Rookie
It's incredible to think that a flash-based fangame could get this big. The Smash community sure is unique (in a good way) and accepting!

Myself, I've never tried out SSF2 much. If you download it can you use a USB controller?
You can, but it takes some working around with joy2key or some such program.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Good to see Flash 2 getting this much attention, and I hope it keeps growing. It sure is a fantastic fan game.

Last edited:

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Wow I played this game like 3 years ago back when Black Mage had just come out as an unlockable. It's really come a long way. They sure added a lot of characters.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

It takes a bit of setup, but yes it's totally possible.

Mr.Z

Smash Rookie
Kyoz may be the King of tourneys, but there is no real king of SSF2.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
I use Joy2Key+the Mayflash USB adapter to play it. There is very little lag. It takes a little effort to get it working though :/

Doq

Smash Lord
Hey guys it's Doq and we're live right now. It's intermission from when this post was made but stick around for some matches, top 8, and our own "salty suite"

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Ok I loved the video. Glad to see that Falcon can be HYPE in any smash game he is in.
But seeing the other characters have some cool highlights really makes me want to try this out

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Finally, the SSF2 scene's getting some recognition.

The meta'll never grow if there's no tournaments, after all.

Mr.Z

Smash Rookie
I recommend you visiting JammyHamsta channel, the creator of SSF2's Flasback series, for there are 5 Combo videos in total.

Last edited:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Anybody here remember when SSF2 had like less than 10 characters to choose from and only 4-5 stages?

Just me? Dang I feel old.

Anyway....its crazy how far a simple fan made flash game has come in the last 7 or so years!

Mr. Blue Sky

Smash Cadet
Anybody here remember when SSF2 had like less than 10 characters to choose from and only 4-5 stages?

Just me? Dang I feel old.

Anyway....its crazy how far a simple fan made flash game has come in the last 7 or so years!
Remember Super Smash Flash 1? God, that game hasn't aged well.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Really surprised this has gotten a competitive following but the game is fun, so it isn't something I'm against. I might tune into this.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Can we have a Super Smash Flash 2 Section? It's more popular than the 3DS Version at this point.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Do we really need one though? We have the MG forums, is there any point in setting up a section here too?
I mean, I'd be pretty honored if I had my game was on here next to Melee and Smash 4. Plus I think more people would notice it more if it was on here as a listed game

HOO HAH

Smash Rookie
I feel like a brat as I just can't stand the graphics. Despite growing up as kid playing PKMN Blue all day.

Top Bottom