• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros on Oculus Rift: Could this be the future?

AkashicSword

Yokai
A few weeks ago, a Youtube user, Fred Wood, posted a video of himself playing a custom build Super Smash Bros Brawl using the Oculus Rift. While gameplay was not at full speed, the custom build of Brawl allowed Fred to play effectively with the device with impressive results.

Using the Rift, Fred could view the battle from whatever angle he wanted. He could even stand up and walk away, and so would the view of battle, so to speak. It may not be practical, but to quote Fred directly. "It's pretty awesome." You can watch the awesome video below.

If such technology can be used on a seven year old game to great effect, the possibilities of what the future could hold seem to be endless. Do you think Nintendo will invest in Oculus Rift or similar technology in the future? Would you like to see an Oculus Rift based Smash game? Talk about it below!

AkashicSword would definitely like to see what the future has in store for smash, and really wants to get his hands on this build of Brawl. Discuss it with him at @akashicgaming.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
This would be so cool...but kind of difficult to adjust to.
I'm all for this change...I'd need a bit of time to get used to it though.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
> Dash Dances

> Gets vertigo

Last edited:

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Sakurai did say in an interview that he is interested in VR, so there is always a possibility.

Last edited:

Farorae

Smash Ace
Looks like a headache...also not the type of game I'd use it for, it would be way cooler to use in say Skyrim, imo. And even then I think it would be nauseating after a short period of time.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I can't see the Oculus being the future. Call me old, but I like my games played on tv's

Last edited:

Legaci

Smash Cadet
Pretty innovative, though I can see this becoming a strain in the eyes after some time. But, still cool nonetheless.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Future of Erotic Gaming!!

Guess that is a type of first person shooter....

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Hm, this works for any GCN or Wii game, you say? Seems like this technology would be good for Elebits, Mario Kart (if the camera stayed behind the driver but could rotate as you turned your head), Chibi Robo... Intriguing.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Still waiting to see someone use Oculus Rift on F-Zero GX.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Eh, I have my doubts for Oculus Smash. Being the virtual reality revolution that the Rift is turning into it's just not applicable enough in a fighter game like Smash. The Oculus Rift is best suited for highly immersive first-person games like Skyrim, Myst or Portal; games that more or less put you, the player into the primary role.
Hell, KenboCalrissian is right to suggest that Mario Kart would benefit most from the Rift, but not Smash, not without physical movement controls. As it is right now it's just a Wimbledon box-seat view of a third-person fight, I'll be impressed when I can be Marth in a fight.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Kinda makes me want some gyro control on the camera in SSB4. Watching replays like this would be so cooool...

Oh! Oh! Custom Robo! That'd be fun to play with gyro/OR.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Horrible, doesn't suit a game like smash at all... Smash is best played with a couple of friends in the same room, the oculus rift just separates? someone, it would just feel like four players in a room playing alone...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The angle of the camera is wrong. I think there would be a lot more value placing the camera in the characters perspective. Fight head to head is the real use of this.

Top Bottom