• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 3DS Sells Over 1 Million in Japan

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Yesterday, Nintendo announced that Smash Bros for 3DS has sold over 1 million copies only four days after its release. Smash Bros. is arguably Nintendo's biggest franchise so the title was expected to sell well, but selling so well in the smaller Japanese market shows how big of a hit this game really is. Earlier this morning, Nintendo's official Super Smash Bros. Facebook page posted this image:

For reference, Super Smash Bros. Melee sold 1.3 million in Japan total, and 7.07 million globally. Super Smash Bros. Brawl sold 2.57 million in Japan and 12.06 million globally.

How many copies do you think the new Smash Bros. will sell? Can it outdo the amazing numbers Brawl put up? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is proud to be one in a million, even if it's doesn't mean what it normally does. Chat with him on Twitter about how excited he is for Theatrythm to show up on his doorstep at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

Farorae

Smash Ace
Damn! That's great! Hopefully the Wii U will sell well too, obviously it won't sell this well, but well enough to help out the system perhaps.

Last edited:

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think this Smash will.... smash the record. I'm personally buying more copies just for me than I did before (between the Wii U and 3DS).

Duskinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshibrothers505
This goes to show that no matter who you are or what your opinion is, you're getting this game regardless.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
how wonder many many thousand of those sold in japan are actually just out of country people who wanted to get the game early

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
Probably woulda sold more if Ice Climbers were in it. :troll:

WAIT.

PIt Villager PiKaChu Mario LinK KiRby Samus Rosetta and Chiko.

Ice Climbers confirmed for DLC!!
KK Rool for DLC!

Leo Paris

Smash Rookie
I'm guessing at least 15 mil globaly. The WiiU better have some redeeming features.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
"Arguably Nintendo's biggest franchise"? I highly doubt that. In terms of volume, maybe, but not in terms of sales.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Can't wait to see the Wii U version sales after 4 days in comparison to the 3DS version.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Given the improvements over Brawl (a game that sold 12.6 million), I would think it can sell just as much, if not outdo its previous entry. Of course, this is also dependent on Wii U sales as well, which - last I checked - isn't doing so hot.

As for the 3DS version... well, it's the 3DS, so I guess that can outsell Brawl, and goodness knows that combining sales between versions will aid the game in doing well enough.

Last edited:

Zeppelin

Smash Cadet
It could be because a lot of people in other countries, like the U.S, have Japanese 3ds', but i don't think that will stop them from getting the English version of the game. Ether way I'm not surprised that it sold that much, even if it was in Japan and only a handful of days after the release.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Now we know that a million Japanese citizens are pointing their finger over the Pacific and laughing.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Well with it being on two different consoles we can only hope the combined sales are more than brawl to keep showing support for Smash.

Personally I don't plan on getting Wii U, but I'm buying two copies of Smash 3DS so I guess there's that?

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
If they go with DLC, the sales continue to climb. Same thing happened to COD

D

Deleted member

If they go with DLC, the sales continue to climb. Same thing happened to COD
They're probably going into the same direction as MK8 DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
One thing is for sure: We probably wont get dlc characters as Sakurai said on a miiverse post a while back.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
That means 1 out of 127 people in Japan have Super Smash Bros. 3DS.
In the first week.
Wow. That's nice.
(Obviously not counting importers, but I don't expect many of them really)

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!! 0_0 What's so impressive about these numbers is that it's 1 million copies sold in three days within Japan alone, for the most part of course. That's Monster Hunter levels of hype, which you do not see very often in Japan. Once the game comes out worldwide in October, I guarantee that number will rise exponentially. You could say the sales are quite.....SMASHING!!! :laugh:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Should this really be a surprise? It's Smash Bros. Of course it's gonna sell like ****ing crazy!

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I'm guessing at least 15 mil globaly. The WiiU better have some redeeming features.
Well, Pokemon X and Y only sold like 4-5 million copies so 15 million would only be Sakurai's dream. I'd assume it will sell around the same amount as pokemon, but slightly more.
its gonna outsell GTA
I REALLY, REALLY HOPE SO!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom