• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Controller Lag Comparison

Which Controller Do You Use Most In Smash 4?

• Gamecube

Votes: 596 62.3%
  • Wii U Pro

Votes: 150 15.7%
  • Wii U GamePad

Votes: 74 7.7%
  • Wii Remote/Wii Remote + Nunchuck

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 3DS

Votes: 73 7.6%
  • Wii Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro

Votes: 36 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 1.0%

• Total voters

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Be it Wii Motes, Gamecube Controllers or even Arcade Sticks, players have many preferences on the controllers they want to use in Smash 4. Some however have said that anything in the wireless controller spectrum has more lag than their plug in counterparts. Youtube channel BunchOfMorons, who despite their name made a well thought out video, did some scientific testing to see if this was really the case. See the results by watching the video below!

SmashCapps thought it was cool to try and figure out something like this scientifically once and for all. To keep up with all things smash be sure to follow him on Twitter.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
When it comes to all other games that don't take advantage of the GamePad and/or Wii MotionPlus' technology, the Pro Controller is far-and-away my preferred controller. I even use it for PC gaming over a 360 controller (tricking the system is awesome!).

When it comes to Smash, however, I will always use the GameCube controller. It's just the perfect controller for the series with the way it's designed.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So smash 4 continued with brawl having "potentially" random input lag on every command? Wonderful.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I never bothered getting the GameCube adapter for Smash Wii U, since it wasn't worth the hassle when I already had the Wii U Pro Controller in my arsenal.

I only really used the GameCube Controller for Melee, whereas for Brawl, it was the Wii Classic Controller. As for Smash Wii U, the Wii U Pro Controller is still my primary controller for that game.

In a way, the lack of pressure-sensitive shields in Brawl and Smash Wii U made using the GameCube Controller very inconvenient, since you had to press L or R completely down to perform any button actions.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Wii U Pro is great yeah. But they are incredibly dumb at tournaments because you cant really fully turn them off and people often interfere with games accidently.

The Gamecube controller is standard not just because people are used to it but because its easy to disconnect.

pawndidater2

Smash Journeyman
I use the gamecube controller just because I've been playing smash forever and it's familiar. If I picked up a smash game for the first time today I'd use the pro controler for sure. I'd even argue that that is Nintendo's best controller, and probably better than the xbox and playstation controllers.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
3ds warrior here. Enjoy losing to the superior controller.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Damn, now that is some thorough testing. He even made a little contraption to indicate when he pressed the button so as to eliminate human error as a possible extraneous variable. This guy should be a scientist.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
Wii U Gamepad user here. I do OK with that controller and I've outplayed quite the number of players in For Glory. I wonder if the GameCube controller would help so much it's worth the money and effort getting.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Wii U Pro is great yeah. But they are incredibly dumb at tournaments because you cant really fully turn them off and people often interfere with games accidently.

The Gamecube controller is standard not just because people are used to it but because its easy to disconnect.
Exactly, nothing wrong with Pro controllers or any other wireless controller for that matter. Just please for the love of god DO NOT bring those to a tourney. Nothing turns an entire room against you faster than your Wii-mote connecting to a console you just played on and essentially rendering the console useless.

Last edited:

Smash Ace
I wonder why everyone uses Gamecube controllers...

Last edited:

Lunaticker

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lunaticker
3DS FC
4184-3137-6259
That's not actually true. If you press the sync button on the back of the controller and don't press any other button, it'll disconnect. You have to hold it in your hand or put it down somewhere to make sure no buttons are pressed during matches, but the claim that you can't turn them off is false.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
In a way, the lack of pressure-sensitive shields in Brawl and Smash Wii U made using the GameCube Controller very inconvenient, since you had to press L or R completely down to perform any button actions.
Nope! In Smash 4, the WiiU reads the earliest partial input possible as a full press. So if you were the type of person who removed your Gamecube trigger springs for easier power/perfect shields in earlier titles, you're out of luck in 4!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nope! In Smash 4, the WiiU reads the earliest partial input possible as a full press. So if you were the type of person who removed your Gamecube trigger springs for easier power/perfect shields in earlier titles, you're out of luck in 4!
Really? I wouldn't know, since I lack the GameCube Adapter.

I just know that in Brawl, you had to press the L or R button down completely on the GameCube Controller, or else the button action can't be performed. As such, it felt more convenient to use the Wii Classic Controller for that game.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
So...there's deliberate input lag on a wired controller.

1) why
2) why
3) how- sorry why

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
Really? I wouldn't know, since I lack the GameCube Adapter.

I just know that in Brawl, you had to press the L or R button down completely on the GameCube Controller, or else the button action can't be performed. As such, it felt more convenient to use the Wii Classic Controller for that game.
they fixed that thankfully

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
"Which controller do you use the most in Smash 4?"

Oh wow what an obvious question. It's clearly the Wii Remote Gamecube controllers.

You know, i'd honestly be shocked if I've ever seen anyone nowadays use a Wii Remote, casual or competitive.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I have been using the Pro Controller and occasionally the GamePad for Smash Wii U since the game came out.

For Brawl, I used the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, but I switched to Classic Controller.

Despite what anyone tells you, anything aside from the Wii Remote (and Nunchuk) is all personal preference and comes with zero disadvantages. There is no innate disadvantage to using a controller that isn't GameCube, and I have won against very good players that use GameCube controllers despite me using a GamePad, a Pro Controller, or even the New 3DS.

Having familiarity with the SNES button layout allows me to easily switch from the Wii U to the 3DS version and vice versa without having to adapt too much to the control scheme as well.

Last edited:

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
I use the GameCube controller, but it's great to know that th other controllers aren't affected by input lag.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I use the Gamecube controller since I did go out of my way to preorder the game and get the Smash controller and adapter. That being said, I, much like many others, used the 3DS when Smash Wii U wasn't even out and when I'm too lazy to get out of bed I'll use the Wii U Gamepad though from what little I've used it, I can't stand that thing. Too big and something as simple as quitting a match early is a chore.

In Brawl I started off using the Wiimote + Nunchuk, then switched to the Classic, then to the Gamecube controller. For laughs, I used the Wiimote alone a bit and my Classic eventually broke so I got the Classic Pro, tried it and didn't enjoy it as much as the normal Classic or the Gamecube controller.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
As long as the wireless controllers don't cause stupid issues like the PS4 has been doing in recent tournaments then there's no issue. The main problem with wireless controllers recently hasn't been latency since the technology has come a long way, but the fact that syncing and interference issues can be a major concern.

It would be interesting to see this sort of experiment performed in the environment of a major, where lots of people have controllers synced and phones everywhere.

Still though, a wired connection should theoretically always outspeed wireless, so I wouldn't be surprised if the GC adapter has deliberately programmed input delay to keep it consistent with the other controllers. In fact it's interesting that all the controllers are so consistent in their latency, that flat out shouldn't be the case without a deliberate effort to make it so.

I honestly just wish this push towards wireless only would stop, there's a reason why all top quality electrical equipment isn't wireless, and while we're not asking for gold plated connections, please just give us the option. (Although I guess with GC at least they have, but I wish other Wii U controllers could be wired too)

Last edited:

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Most of the time i rock the Game Cube controller, but when the missus is nagging me so she can watch the bachelor or some other lame show, then Gamepad it is, biggest issue i have found is there's not diagnoal guide on the main joystick on the game pad, so playing Zelda quite often has led me to teleport the wrong direction.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Wii U Controller Pro for me, my second would be Classic Controller Pro. More buttons to use and gives me more options. Takes some time to get use to, but I like the payoff.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
Any quick text writeups/TL;DW? I honestly hate having to watch videos instead of a quick text summary.

Top Bottom