• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Analysis from a guy who loves camping

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I got my chance to play Smash 4 this Wednesday with some other competitive smashers and got see into a small window of what the game currently represents. For those of you who don't know me, I have a fairly unique perspective. I thought I'd share it with you!

I've been playing since Smash 64 and have been part of the Melee community since near the start; I was an okay player (top 32 to top 8), but never dominant. I mostly did things like creating video guides; they're so old they were used by PPMD to learn Falco!

I moved onto Brawl and enjoyed it just as much as Melee. Much to my opponent's chagrin in both games, my preferred strategy was run away and camp. When I started Melee I lacked the technical expertise to just "out tech" people, so I focused on learning unique stages and abusing character mobility. I had 8 minutes on the timer and I used it.

Here's an example from Melee in a goofy friendly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrZ4-C5Ad0I

An infamous match from the beginning of Brawl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxgOkRyG3ho

To save yourself some time, a 'combo' video of Brawl showcasing how I typically played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZlLImDgQMo

I used "scrooging" and 'planking" with Meta Knight before there were terms for the activities and I timed people out with Fox before Jigglypuff was even considered a top character. I did it all to win in the easiest way possible and didn't care about being "flashy" or "cool". I'd time people out, camp, chain grab, laser spam, etc., and it'd be a ton of fun for me. Winning is fun.

So what about Smash 4?

Planking, edgehogging
Near impossible to do. Not only can you attack people on the ledge fairly quickly, but you can steal the ledge from them even while they are invincible. This works as long as you aren't in a free-fall animation. This is a large change! When you edgehog, they simply take the ledge from you and then YOU are off stage. You don't want this to happen to you.

Which means you WANT it to happen to your opponent. On more than one occasion I was able to jump above the ledge, then use my double jump before my opponent up+b'd and fast fall quickly to grab the ledge from them. This forces them to kind of hop backwards off the stage. I wasn't able to effectively edgeguard in this manner without more time to practice, but it seems like it will be an incredibly effective way of edgeguarding. You don't have to prevent them from getting to the ledge... you punish them for grabbing it!

What does that mean?

It means that what makes a recovery "good" is different. In Melee, it was "can you get back to the ledge effectively" and "can you stall off stage and/or mixup between going for the stage/ledge" to prevent a player from simply grabbing the edge and rolling. In Brawl it was "can you prevent an offstage edgeguard" and "can you get back after the offstage edgeguard"; most could get back to the stage, but the real trick was can you ultimately prevent an offstage edgeguard. Characters like Snake suffered tremendously because they got hit multiple times when recovering, but the recovery was ultimately fine because you had many attempts to make it back. Lucario or Ness and the like were easily edgeguarded while characters like Meta Knight could typically avoid being hit in the first place.

In Smash 4, due to the new ledge mechanics, there's now 3 specific aspects of recovery.

1. Can you get to the ledge even if hit
  2. If you do grab the ledge, are you able to get back on stage without much invincibility
  3. Can you bypass the ledge altogether and get on the stage (without a ton of lag)
What's going to happen to many characters is they will take the typical recovery of go low and "sweetspot" the ledge. The ledge will immediately be taken by the opponent before you can get off the ledge. This bumps you off, and you'll almost certainly be hit. Can you make it back at this point?

If you get the ledge and they don't take it from you, but instead wait by the ledge for you to act, can you make it back before Marth d-tilts you? This is most commonly the kind of edgeguarding that occurred in Brawl. It could be frustrating at times, but certain characters (like Meta Knight, again) had abilities like tornado that allowed you to bypass unprepared opponents almost instantly.

But more importantly, are you a character like Villager who can over-b a great distance, thus removing the ledge from the equation altogether? Those will be the best recoveries.

Ask those three questions when picking your smash mains. Characters like Bowser and DK are going to have bad recoveries. Characters like Marth and Megaman will have some definite ability to grab the ledge, but have difficulty safely bypassing it. Characters like Villager will have superb recoveries with his over-b and up+b options. (assuming no changes)

Chaingrabs, jab-locks, infinites, and annoying chains

These were always really boring to watch.

I didn't have an opportunity to test grab releases, chaingrabs, or grab release infinites with a doubles partner. If someone else wants to confirm, go for it. I could follow up from a few grabs with hits, but never another grab. That said footstool out of throw exists as a doubles concept, so at the very least that'll be the new 2v1 infinite unless i'm missing something huge (I only saw one iteration of this occur).

Jab-locks seem to be in, to what regard I don't know. All I know is that if you hit the ground without a tech you can be hit more than once in succession, similar to jab-locks. Other reports seem to confirm this.

Infinites seem to be possible, but I know of none to be discovered yet other than grab -> footstool 2v1 infinites that I know that seem to exist.

Annoying chains, now THOSE I saw a lot of. Fox's U-tilt x5 combo was showcased by PPMD during the invitational; fast fall unfinished dair to u-tilt a bunch. Instant combo.

The biggest indicator that these might be a 'problem' for some people wasn't on the Wii U at all, but rather the 3DS only: Sheik!

Sheik could f-tilt most characters repeatedly at 0%. Due to an apparent lack of Smash DI, I could f-tilt to around 30%, short hop fair, dash attack as they hit the ground, and then hit them with another fair. It felt a lot like Melee sheik but with way more "repeat the same move" over again. What's crazy is that you can do this AGAIN after you've done it the first time! Fair and f-tilt have such low knockback that you can do the same combo immediately afterwards. It was a true "bread-and-butter" combo.

What does this mean?

It means that a lot of early % combos are going to occur out of low-knockback moves. If someone said "pick a character this is going to win", I'd pick someone with a low knockback tilt and just spam it on them when they were at low %.

This will be annoying to watch for most people and at the very beginning of Smash 4 the majority of "winning strategies" is going to be "roll + tilt" or dash-away pivot tilt, mark my words. This will be G&W spamming his turtle all over again. It won't be "good", but people will do it because the reward seems to consistently be about 50%, much higher than anything else I saw.

Port Priority

Unknown, but we did see a simultaneous death that appeared to "give it" to player 4. Watch for this!

Ultimately, the game will test mostly the same skills Brawl had. Zoning and Feinting (that's staying just out of your opponents range, using attacks the appear to leave you vulnerable and punishing their attempts to punish) are going to be huge. If you were good at Brawl, you'll prolly be good at Smash 4. If you couldn't get the hang of it, it might take some getting used to. Hitting shields is a bad thing, although you can break shields pretty easy in this game.

Speaking of, thoughts on characters:

Bowser
He'll be fun, but not particularly good I don't think. His shield break properties rivaled Smash 4. You can break a fully charged shield with one down+b! His down-air is an amazing spike, so expect the Bowsercide to be a thing. He can kill at surprisingly low % with an edgeguard, but isn't very comfortable off stage.

DK
DK could actually be really good. He killed Rosalina at 80% with a back-air from on-stage! He has some serious combos, surprisingly enough. Dair -> u-tilt -> u-air was legitimate at lower percentages, as was fast fall weak bair to u-tilt. His aerials had a surprisingly small amount of lag if they didn't auto-cancel and his KO power on stage will make him a threat early in the games life. His recovery is pretty bad.

Megaman
Megaman might be a good trap character in 1v1, but he has serious zoning issues. He can't play keep-away particularly well due to his awful dair and low-knockback fair being almost entirely unthreatening. Hitting someone with over-b and comboing off it was fun, but it pretty quickly became a game of "keep away from the sticky bomb" due to it being possible to put it back on megaman. His leaf shield is great except you can't do anything but throw it, meaning the counter has been known since Megaman 2. Jump over, punish during lag.

Without the ability to properly zone, I can't forsee Megaman being a serious threat in the long term unless people discover some radical ways to play him.

Marth

He's Marth. Unfortunately there was no "dancing blade mixup" that I saw, as you had more vulnerability by stopping the dancing blade than using the whole thing. Fair seemed bad, nair seemed good. I see Marth's back-air being his new love, especially off stage. Marth is a toss-up.

Sheik

She gonna be good. Real good. Her new "bomb" move? It drags the enemy TOWARDS sheik. This means that Sheik can throw a bomb and f-tilt chain you out of the ensuing explosion, starting her annoying combo.

Greninja
His counter actually works as a KO move. That's pretty big in of itself, but added to it is his ability to fast-fall with his dair, making it difficult to effectively chase Greninja aerially. I had trouble controlling Greninja, but he seemed solid enough. His smash attacks seemed about as easy to land as Lucario's in Brawl, which is to say "not particularly easy", but his bair was amazing.

Fox
u-tilt chain was good. Past that I had trouble landing things with him. His recovery was improved, but I dunno about him otherwise.

ZSS
ZSS was good enough to where I think she'll be nerfed prior to release. We've all seen what she can do at this point.

Didn't play others enough to comment.

Will this game be competitively viable?

Yes.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
What about Camping / slow play?

Camping will exist in certain ways. Due to the excessive lag from many aerials and the absurd height of some of the platforms we saw, I can see platform camping be a norm. Think of how you'd play against Ice Climbers in Melee or Brawl.

Camping by the edge likely won't be as prominent anymore. You could, in both Melee and Brawl, stand by the edge and just go for a grab + edgeguard. Due to the changes in shields and ledge mechanics, this seems like it will be much weaker.

Camping by "scrooging" or "air camping" seems to be near non-existent as a possibility. Due to the excessive air dodge lag I saw, any short hop u-air from the ground to force an air dodge will result in a lot of lag. Simply waiting for them to run out of jumps will likely work.

Platform camping, meaning sitting on the top platform and jumping "with" your opponent could be a possibility. Characters like Greninja and Fox have quick jumps and ways to get to the ground quickly, allowing them to escape vertically. There won't be "invincible patterns" or anything of the sort, but stalling in this manner is a possibility. Watch Zero vs. Hungrybox in the finals and you get the idea. (Note: I beat Kirby in Brawl like this many times; he can't deal with platform camping in Brawl very well due to his poor u-air and poor vertical acceleration)

The kind of camping I'd expect to see the most of though is new to Smash 4... the pivot tilt! Many tilts were REALLY GOOD, and in Smash 4 you can easily dash to the right, pivot, and tilt left. This allows you to do retreating tilts. You saw the beginnings of tilt spam being possible with Zero in the invitational using over-b + f-tilt. Stages with large ground areas will probably allow for this as an effective and annoying defensive option against characters that lack disjointed hitboxes or projectiles.

Okay, but what about Spot Dodge / Rolling spam?

I saw it similar as in Brawl. Dominant until we figure out what to do. Spot dodges all seemed good. Many rolls were awesome. I forsee rolling behind your opponent as a viable approach in many situations due to the high aerial lag of many attacks. Characters like Lucario and Kirby used this to their advantage quite a bit in Brawl.

What about other "lame" things, like Dedede standing infinite, Diddy's banana setup (banana in hand, banana in front, shield approach), etc.?

Too early to tell other than the early tilt locks due to no SDI, besides jab lock infinites against walls being a possibility I dunno. I CAN say that bananas act differently; they seem to only trip once and then go "dead", meaning Diddy won't be able to do as crazy a setup anymore.

Last edited:

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Why isn't this getting more attention, it's a beautiful analysis and it has me legit excited about how much the new edge mechanics will change up the game

10/10 would read again

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Best analysis I already taken from this game until now .
Thank you, great job.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
@ Overswarm Overswarm did you feel that Smash 4 had potential for combos beyond simple tilt strings? Are characters able to follow up launchers with aerials? How did you feel about the "hitstun" in general?

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
This is really awesome. You're really awesome. Thank you for writing this. It's probably the most thought out thing anyone has said about the competitive viability of Sm4sh. Good job. 10/10

@ Overswarm Overswarm did you feel that Smash 4 had potential for combos beyond simple tilt strings? Are characters able to follow up launchers with aerials? How did you feel about the "hitstun" in general?
I'd like to know his thoughts on this as well. I got to play yesterday at Best Buy, but only for two minutes. And I spent most of that time trying to get used to how awkward it was pressing some of the buttons on the pro controller. I didn't pay much attention to anything else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

POSITIVE REACTION TO THE CHANGES AND THE GAME BEING DIFFERENT FROM PREVIOUS ENTRIES? TAKE IT AWAY!

Just kidding. This was a great read, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the game especially with these new changes. The tilts thing has me a bit worried, but I'm sure (hopefully) it'll be fixed before release. I can't wait to play (maybe about 1 match) Saturday and see for myself!

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Hitstun and Combos
Tilt strings were, by and large, the most effective combos. In this sense you can't really expect other combos to more prevalent. Why play DK and do dair->u-tilt->u-air when you can just f-tilt several times with Sheik?

That said, the most common (move) -> (attack) combo was almost ALWAYS dash attack -> something. Sonic and Yoshi could both do it really well, Sheik's was super useful as a tech chase. Bowser? Yep! This makes shielding better, which makes grabs better, and there are few grab combos. Think of Melee Falco grabs.

There were a few moves that were obviously combo starts. DK's dair, Sheik's fair (I know, right?!), Bowser's nair when fast falling, etc. It's mostly going to be hitting two-three times and then it turns into a string.

I feel the histun in general is fine. "Strings" are better than "Combos". Combos mean you get a hit and then your opponent can't do anything, you just follow it up. In this game SDI seems to be absent, so combos are easier once you know them. The difficult part will be baiting your opponent without over-committing. If someone wanted combos where they could 0-death without their opponent having a say they could play marvel.

POSITIVE REACTION TO THE CHANGES AND THE GAME BEING DIFFERENT FROM PREVIOUS ENTRIES? TAKE IT AWAY!

Just kidding. This was a great read, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the game especially with these new changes. The tilts thing has me a bit worried, but I'm sure (hopefully) it'll be fixed before release. I can't wait to play (maybe about 1 match) Saturday and see for myself!
Anyone that has consistent "negative reactions" isn't a winner. People can not like something, but most sane people typically say "I don't like this" and stop associating with it. If they're in high school, maybe not, but that's because people are still building their personal identity on what they're not rather than what they are.

A winner looks at a change and says "what does this mean to me". I see tilt chains being a thing so I'm going to do tilt chains all day. If it means they're effective, the game is going to be a dynamic between "how do I land my own tilt chain", "how do I avoid my opponent's tilt chain", and "how do I punish attempts at tilt chains".

If I play Sheik and try to pivot tilt your approach, you already have a lot of options without knowing the game. Walk, don't run, and stay just out of tilt range to force me into something else. If I keep pivot tilting an approach, push me to the edge in this way and wait for me to break.

Is this fun or entertaining? Maybe not. But that's secondary to winning!

My body is ready for the onslaught of Sheik ditto's.
Pivot tilts all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

If tilt chains end up being a thing, it's gonna be interesting how the meta develops.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm just going to say this now but there's actually a fairly deep meta when it comes to spamming tilts due to decay. If decay is in smash4 to equal or greater levels then people will be doing more then just simply tilt strings. Sheik for example in brawl can combo everything from her jabs, to aerial attacks, to smashes from her ftilt.

There had been many times I would be counting my Ftilts, keeping track how many moves I landed since my ftilt string while I tried to bring them into a killing combo percentage. That last part is the hardest as if they are playing smart and you can't easily land more ftilts you have to decide if your going to forgo using certain moves for more damaging ones, pressure them harder for that tilt, or give up and try to go for the kill in a different way.

Landing that Ftilt into usmash true combo is damn near orgasmic though, especially if it's the winning blow.

edit: I just remembered you overswarm, you tried to get meta knight banned. Good to see your still around.

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Based on this post, I'm not looking forward to fighting Sheik since my brother likes playing her. I was hoping Sheik's f-tilt chains would be toned down but it sounds like it's going to be stronger than ever. Great lol.

I'm not complaining mind you. Just noting that I'm probably going to have difficulties dealing with this particular move.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm just going to say this now but there's actually a fairly deep meta when it comes to spamming tilts due to decay. If decay is in smash4 to equal or greater levels then people will be doing more then just simply tilt strings. Sheik for example in brawl can combo everything from her jabs, to aerial attacks, to smashes from her ftilt.

There had been many times I would be counting my Ftilts, keeping track how many moves I landed since my ftilt string while I tried to bring them into a killing combo percentage. That last part is the hardest as if they are playing smart and you can't easily land more ftilts you have to decide if your going to forgo using certain moves for more damaging ones, pressure them harder for that tilt, or give up and try to go for the kill in a different way.

Landing that Ftilt into usmash true combo is damn near orgasmic though, especially if it's the winning blow.
I'm guessing you were a Brawl sheik main. ;)

Judo used to go on and on about that stuff. It may very well be the new meta.

...Seriously?
Yep! I confirmed it today during the 3DS treehouse stream. I did it to Kel's Marth and then the NoA guy did it to a Yoshi.

It's two separate hits, but it doesn't appear to give you the option to do anything inbetween them. It's possible you could spot dodge or roll, but I haven't seen it occur yet.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm guessing you were a Brawl sheik main. ;)

Judo used to go on and on about that stuff. It may very well be the new meta.

Yep! I confirmed it today during the 3DS treehouse stream. I did it to Kel's Marth and then the NoA guy did it to a Yoshi.

It's two separate hits, but it doesn't appear to give you the option to do anything inbetween them. It's possible you could spot dodge or roll, but I haven't seen it occur yet.
Indeed I was, I somewhat help spear head the whole abusing of Sheik Ftilt after Innocentroads made the formula, Rathy Aro gathering all the raw data, and then I step in to organizing that data and making pretty charts to post on the forums.

Judo is amazing, miss talking to him/all sheiks.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Do his other moves also have extra shield damage? Also, how does his fsmash feel, since it's a new move now? Still a strong KO move/shield killer?

You're making sound like he's closer to Project M Bowser now.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Amazing. These reads make me feel better about the game itself. @ Overswarm Overswarm What if the DI is very buggy right now and wasn't implemented yet? Does that affect the f-tilt strings from Shiek?

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
I was playing the Demo at my ridiculously desolate Best Buy, and I can confirm most (if not all) of what you said. The game feels different, but there is a lot of mechanics and changes that feel really good for competitive play. It's a bit slower than Melee, but the game feels very good. If you get your hands on the game after playing a round or two of Brawl, you will absolutely love this game.

This game has competitive value.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Amazing. These reads make me feel better about the game itself. @ Overswarm Overswarm What if the DI is very buggy right now and wasn't implemented yet? Does that affect the f-tilt strings from Shiek?
In Brawl smash DI effected Sheik Ftilt lock very little. I forgot the technical reason behind it but I do remember being told that for some smashes if you smash DI frame perfect you could go half the distance of FD but for Sheik Ftilt you could go barely anywhere at all.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
In Brawl smash DI effected Sheik Ftilt lock very little. I forgot the technical reason behind it but I do remember being told that for some smashes if you smash DI frame perfect you could go half the distance of FD but for Sheik Ftilt you could go barely anywhere at all.
I see. Thank you.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I love this thread. Thanks for posting it.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Great thread! A lot of this information I could see being used to assure competitive folks that this game isn't without competitive quirks, just different. And I'm loving all of your information on Bowser; if I was able to play a decent Bowser in Brawl of all things, sounds like I'm going to have a blast this time around. Thanks again!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Do his other moves also have extra shield damage? Also, how does his fsmash feel, since it's a new move now? Still a strong KO move/shield killer?

You're making sound like he's closer to Project M Bowser now.
F-smash did decent damage to shields, but nothing crazy. He is closer to PM bowser than Brawl bowser though, really.

I didn't like his new F-smash.

It's hard to speculate. In Melee you could DI to avoid attacks out of tilts, in Brawl you often couldn't with Sheik's. It'd depend on how DI really worked. If you could move a bunch, then yeah, you could get out.

Sounds pretty sweet! How are projectiles in general?
Most seem mediocre. Megaman's metal blade seemed almost worthless, it had less stun than a falco laser when I saw it, but I only hit with it once or twice. Pit's arrow has too much lag to be super useful from what I saw. Samus' missile is worthless for knockback, only 9% damage (super variety). Megaman's pellets are good. Fox's laser doesn't cancel. Bowser's flame breath had a TON of startup lag, never hit with it.

Greninja's water shuriken was really good, you could use it and combo out of it when fully charged!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I wonder how tether grabs will play into this ledge game. Will it count as bypassing the ledge, since you can tether while someone is on the ledge?

We also saw the tethers are longer now, ZSS's was huge.

Any thoughts?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Now I feel a bit better about this game. I never thought it was going to be terrible, but I think it eased some of my concerns.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Since this thread comes off as very borderline I shall leave it open for now. But due to the sheer amount of Opinion/Analysis threads that have been popping up the Staff has opted to create these two threads:

Positive Impressions
Negative Impressions

Please do not be surprised if this thread is locked at some point. Until then, I will say that this thread is well written. :)

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
Hitstun and Combos
Tilt strings were, by and large, the most effective combos. In this sense you can't really expect other combos to more prevalent. Why play DK and do dair->u-tilt->u-air when you can just f-tilt several times with Sheik?

That said, the most common (move) -> (attack) combo was almost ALWAYS dash attack -> something. Sonic and Yoshi could both do it really well, Sheik's was super useful as a tech chase. Bowser? Yep! This makes shielding better, which makes grabs better, and there are few grab combos. Think of Melee Falco grabs.

There were a few moves that were obviously combo starts. DK's dair, Sheik's fair (I know, right?!), Bowser's nair when fast falling, etc. It's mostly going to be hitting two-three times and then it turns into a string.

I feel the histun in general is fine. "Strings" are better than "Combos". Combos mean you get a hit and then your opponent can't do anything, you just follow it up. In this game SDI seems to be absent, so combos are easier once you know them. The difficult part will be baiting your opponent without over-committing. If someone wanted combos where they could 0-death without their opponent having a say they could play marvel.
Name a single 0-death in melee that isn't DI dependent. Even Wobbling needs a setup to get to 30% or so from 0%. It's a false choice. You've never been in a situation where you "can't do anything" during a combo.

Psycoms

Smash Rookie
Name a single 0-death in melee that isn't DI dependent. Even Wobbling needs a setup to get to 30% or so from 0%. It's a false choice. You've never been in a situation where you "can't do anything" during a combo.
oh comon please take this to another thread. i dont want this to get locked as this information is fantastically written and is a great source of info. there are many of threads where you can post that and honestly what you said has been said already. i really hope i dont come off as rude if so im very sorry, i just dont want this thread closed =/

and OP....good stuff man, some of this info i tried myself yesterday and came up with some of the same info but you got sooo much more info then i came up with. really great stuff man imma need to mess with the projectiles more to really see how bad they are but from what ive messed with they were pretty meh. i only used greninja once so i didnt really get to test his, but from what ive seen his looks pretty decent. but if you combo off it it sounds like it could be amazing. dont forget tho it has to be charged and you cant keep the charge like samus or shiek

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
This is very interesting and quite a refreshing change of pace from all the knee jerk hate

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
@ Overswarm Overswarm

What can "ZSS do?" She cheesed the first FFAs with her dumb final smash and ZSS vs. Kirby is 7-3 in Brawl for exactly the reasons you saw in the grand final at the invitational.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ah, you're one of those. No thanks, I'm going to play Smash 4.

@ Overswarm Overswarm

What can "ZSS do?" She cheesed the first FFAs with her dumb final smash and ZSS vs. Kirby is 7-3 in Brawl for exactly the reasons you saw in the grand final at the invitational.
@ Supermodel From Paris Supermodel From Paris

ZSS didn't cheese the first FFA, Zero played to win and played a solid ZSS at a surprisingly competent level. Over-b to f-tilt to cover any approach after the over-b? Genius. Platform camping Kirby? Again genius.

ZSS was the best character in the game by far that I played. She was incredibly easy to play and I never had to use her up+b to recover. Her aerials were very easy to connect, save for her u-air which seemed more difficult than ni Brawl. I believe this is because of the increased knockback.

I didn't find any legit combos with her outside of d-smash stuff we already know (really wanted to try d-smash footstool to reverse neutral b), but she didn't really need them. Her fall speed was perfect for following up on people and her u-air and forward air were both great for chasing them as they fell. Her bair was an excellent kill move, albeit hard to land.

You can do a small shot neutral B and follow it up with f-tilt at close range (that's how I won a sudden death!), if you want to count that as a combo.

Her down-air is near unpunishable when people try to chase you in teh air (just down air after they double jump, and do it away from them) and if they don't, down+b away. Very strong defensive play, very good zoning. Not very much shield pressure from what I saw, basically waiting for people to mess up.

Last edited:

Louis Drust

Smash Rookie
This is the most informative thing I've read about the game. Very much appreciated.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Happy to see a gameplay analysis that compares to the other games but doesn't use them as some grading rubric.

Personally this isn't looking like it's everything I want, the absence of Smash DI in particular annoys me, but I'm very excited to see what happens.

Top Bottom