• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skyloft: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I figured I'd tackle the other big "pretty good travelling stage" out there and cover Skyloft. Turns out...yeah, it's pretty similar to Wuhu Island but even less hazardous, which is saying something since Wuhu Island isn't very hazardous either for the most part.

Also you can have Ballad of the Goddess as one of the BGMs, which is pretty cool.

Previously Covered
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Like Wuhu Island, Skyloft begins on a completely inoffensive platform setup floating out with a good view of the area. (I'm going to be making a lot of comparisons to Wuhu Island...) The platform carries players around and sets them off at one of, count 'em, 11 different locations. Luckily for the astute player, it's not completely random. After a short time on the ground, a different platform setup rises up to carry the players away somewhere else. In all cases, the primary platform has grabbable ledges and can be jumped through from below, while all secondary platforms above are completely standard.

Players 1 and 2 start about halfway between the primary platform's middle and edge. Players 3 and 4 start in between the two. The Omega form floats over a void.

Only one transformation has a hazard, although it doesn't do any damage. Skyloft itself also presents a danger as the platform moves around.

Main Platform
Just like Wuhu Island, there are a total of 4 different platform setups that carry the players around Skyloft. The primary platform has grabbable ledges in all cases and can be jumped through from below.

Name|Picture|Notes
Platform 1|
|Starting platform setup, carries players to the first location. Also appears after the fourth location to come back to the start before beginning another tour.
Platform 2|
|Carries players from the first location to the second.
Platform 3|
|Carries players from the second location to the third.
Platform 4|
|Carries players from the third location to the fourth.
As the platform moves around, it sometimes comes close to the sides and bottom of Skyloft itself, as well as other features such as the stone wall around the Isle of the Goddess. Players who touch the island while the stage is in motion take 12% damage.

@ Krysco Krysco has made a video demonstrating a great many such locations where Skyloft can hurt players, along with other oddities such as players sometimes ending up inside stage geometry and even some safe spots that don't seem to hurt players at all.

Points of Interest
There are a total of 11 points of interest where the stage can stop and let people off. Each stop lasts approximately 15 seconds total. After 8-11 seconds, a large sign appears in the background and a 5 count chime sounds as the platform rises from below. Some locations give players an extra second or two if the geometry is too high for the platform to reach in time.

Name|Picture|Notes
Knight Academy|
|Walled sides. Overhangs still let players snap to ledges.
Light Tower|
|Walled sides.
Windmill|
|Walled sides except for rightmost platform. Rightmost platform is not solid. All ledges are grabbable except for inner ledge on rightmost platform.
Bridge|
|Walkoff on both sides.
Plaza|
|Walkoff on left side. Players can jump through dock on right from below.
Residential District|
|Walkoff on upper level right side.
Bazaar|
|Walkoff on both sides. Awning serves as a platform.
Isle of the Goddess|
|Walkoff on both sides. Raised surface in middle forms small walls.
Statue of the Goddess|
|Walled sides.
Small Island|
|Bottom platform has grabbable ledges and can be jumped through from below. Island ledges are also grabbable except for far right ledge.
Waterfall Island|
|All island ledges are grabbable. Open underneath, although the island is shaped somewhat oddly and makes utilizing the space unintuitive. Waterfalls exert downward force on airborne players starting about a third of the way down, increases falling speed and reduces jump height.
Warning Sign|
|Sign that appears to warn players the stage is about to move on.
Skyloft Tour
Also like Wuhu Island, Skyloft does not pick its transformations at random. Each individual tour lasts 4 stops, and while there does not seem to be a pattern over successive tours beyond simply ensuring each transformation gets to appear, each individual stop selects from 2-3 specific possible transformations.

The first stop can be the Knight Academy, the Light Tower, or the Windmill. The Windmill appears to be the rarest of the three, appearing in a 3:3:2 ratio with the other two during testing.

The second stop can be the Bridge, the Plaza, or the Residential District. All appear with equal frequency.

The third stop can be the Bazaar, the Isle of the Goddess, or the Statue of the Goddess. All appear with equal frequency.

The fourth and final stop can be either the Small Island or the Waterfall Island. Both appear with equal frequency.

For reference, here is a recorded list of successive tours. This is not an exhaustive list, merely a list of observations.

1. Knight Academy, Bridge, Statue of the Goddess, Waterfall Island
  2. Light Tower, Residential District, Isle of the Goddess, Small Island
  3. Knight Academy, Plaza, Bazaar, Small Island
  4. Windmill, Residential District, Bazaar, Waterfall Island
  5. Light Tower, Plaza, Statue of the Goddess, Waterfall Island
  6. Knight Academy, Bridge, Isle of the Goddess, Small Island
  7. Windmill, Bridge, Statue of the Goddess, Waterfall Island
  8. Light Tower, Residential District, Isle of the Goddess, Small Island
  9. Knight Academy, Plaza, Bazaar, Small Island
  10. Windmill, Residential District, Bazaar, Waterfall Island

Summary
  • Players start on the first of 4 different platform layouts. See the Main Platform section for details.
  • Each successive platform carries players off to the next transformation in order until looping back to the first.
  • Total of 11 different locations the stage can stop at. See the Points of Interest section for details.
  • First location is Knight Academy, Light Tower, or Windmill
  • Second location is Bridge, Plaza, or Residential District
  • Third location is Bazaar, Isle of the Goddess, or Statue of the Goddess.
  • Fourth location is Small Island or Waterfall Island.
  • Stage does another 4 location tour after returning to start position overlooking Skyloft.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
This is great! But I could've sworn there are like, cliff rocks that can hit you during transformations? I think they're on this stage...

Looking at it like this though, this stage looks great and I should play it more.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
This is great! But I could've sworn there are like, cliff rocks that can hit you during transformations? I think they're on this stage...

Looking at it like this though, this stage looks great and I should play it more.
Seconded and what I mean by that is when during flying sections I think people have been hit by scenery. Was this looked for at all? I'm sure there is actual legit footage of this on youtube.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

Seconded and what I mean by that is when during flying sections I think people have been hit by scenery. Was this looked for at all? I'm sure there is actual legit footage of this on youtube.
You two are right, touching Skyloft itself does 12% damage. I'm still waiting for it to happen again so I can see when it starts killing, it's fairly rare since it depends on what transformation the stage is moving to next, and possibly where it's coming from as well.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
A small update, I get the feeling it will be rare for Skyloft to hurt the players like this. I've been leaving training mode running for the past 10 minutes and I have been able to deliberately jump at it and get hurt exactly once. (That's how I got the 12% figure.)

Baseless speculation leaves me to assume that the knockback is similar to the track on Mario Circuit, but I can't explicitly confirm or deny it at this time. If I narrow it down I'll update the OP, for now I'll use the copout phrase of "appropriate knockback."

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
A small update, I get the feeling it will be rare for Skyloft to hurt the players like this. I've been leaving training mode running for the past 10 minutes and I have been able to deliberately jump at it and get hurt exactly once. (That's how I got the 12% figure.)

Baseless speculation leaves me to assume that the knockback is similar to the track on Mario Circuit, but I can't explicitly confirm or deny it at this time. If I narrow it down I'll update the OP, for now I'll use the copout phrase of "appropriate knockback."
Thanks man :shades:

Uniit

Another random dude
If you want data to test, i got hit by the island between Windmill and Residential District in the upper left of the screen, resulting in a death (120% "stage" spike). Pretty sure a friend got hit 2-3 time in the top of the stage, resulting death (with less % if i remeber, i don't have the replay for this one).

Is the travel the same if you got from and to the same destination ? Are the hazard clock predictable ?

The speak the true, I was pretty disappointed to die after a Shiek F-throw.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
If you want data to test, i got hit by the island between Windmill and Residential District in the upper left of the screen, resulting in a death (120% "stage" spike). Pretty sure a friend got hit 2-3 time in the top of the stage, resulting death (with less % if i remeber, i don't have the replay for this one).

Is the travel the same if you got from and to the same destination ? Are the hazard clock predictable ?

The speak the true, I was pretty disappointed to die after a Shiek F-throw.
As far as I know, as long as the start and end points are the same the stage will always travel along the same path. You can use this to predict which stop is coming up next if you're familiar enough with the stage.

Any contact with Skyloft's geometry while flying around on the platform will do damage, there's a new video floating around of the wall around the Goddess Statue clipping Kirby while on the platform.

Uniit

Another random dude
Actually, it would be a lot of work to figure out on which track you can be hit by the island and where.

I realise that you have to really learn this stage just to not being hit by it.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Skyloft Ceiling Height data is up!

tl;dr version: same ceiling height as BF (when platform is travelling), all stops except the Residential Area and Statue of the Goddess have slightly lower ceilings than when the platform is travelling, the highest (rightmost) platform on the 3rd Moving Platform is very close to the ceiling. Seems like a stage with big blast zones (yet many platforms close to the ceiling).

Will compile images tonight, hope you don't mind if I rip the ones from this thread and edit them.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Skyloft Ceiling Height data is up!

tl;dr version: same ceiling height as BF (when platform is travelling), all stops except the Residential Area and Statue of the Goddess have slightly lower ceilings than when the platform is travelling, the highest (rightmost) platform on the 3rd Moving Platform is very close to the ceiling. Seems like a stage with big blast zones (yet many platforms close to the ceiling).

Will compile images tonight, hope you don't mind if I rip the ones from this thread and edit them.
I don't mind, have at it.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I went and recorded myself jumping into a whole bunch of hazards on this stage. I think I got most of them (didn't get the glitch with Ganon and Mario that was posted above though but got something similar). Got a total of 79 recordings, looking through the first 40 then gonna save the rest for later. When I have all of the useful bits cropped into one video I could either make a post with a link or the video itself, send @ ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone the video so he can add it to the OP or I could make my own thread about it I suppose. I'll leave the decision up to Mister Drone.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I went and recorded myself jumping into a whole bunch of hazards on this stage. I think I got most of them (didn't get the glitch with Ganon and Mario that was posted above though but got something similar). Got a total of 79 recordings, looking through the first 40 then gonna save the rest for later. When I have all of the useful bits cropped into one video I could either make a post with a link or the video itself, send @ ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone the video so he can add it to the OP or I could make my own thread about it I suppose. I'll leave the decision up to Mister Drone.
Once you upload the video, post it in this thread (embedded or linked, either way is fine) and tag me again so I get a notice about it. Then I'll edit the OP.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
When passing the residential district, the windmill is a hitbox that appears in the lower left part of the stage. (I thought I'd just add this while I remembered it so that maybe people could start documenting hazards to help increase stage knowledge). It's pretty obvious and I purposefully got hit by it to test because science... and the fact that it helped my recovery. #stageknowledge

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
I posted this in the patch thread, but I figure this should probably also go here. Some basic research I did about phasing through the ground on 1.08

You can still phase through Skyloft. The residential district is still the easiest to do it on (just hold onto the right ledge of the moving platform).

BUT the platform now halts at this position for about a second or so.

IMAG00038.jpg

It might have always stopped there for the briefest of moments before, but its super noticeable now. In any case, I was able to jump through the ground and escape which was not true before this patch

IMAG00039.jpg

I also managed to phase through the Knight Academy by falling towards it really early. I didn't get a picture, but I could freely recover while phased and managed to escape from under the window below the bell as Falcon.

I couldn't phase through the waterfall island at all, either by holding onto the right ledge or falling to the island early.

The ground in front of the Statue of the Goddess is still a hitbox until its fully in camera view.

So I guess its kinda fixed in a really weird way? Definitely better now, but not perfect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom