• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SilentDoom: The Future of Shulk in Smash 4 + Clearing the Misconceptions

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

There has been much talk about the potential of Shulk in Smash 4 and many misconceptions spread on just exactly how his Monado Arts work. Smasher and Project M developer SilentDoom has put over one-hundred hours into Shulk in Smash 4, and put some of his thoughts on the character into a video.

Whether folks agree or disagree on his thoughts, hopefully at a minimum this will let players know how the Monado Arts work and push forward discussion on Shulk with Smash 4.

SmashCapps found the video thought provoking and informative. To keep up with him and all things Smash follow him on Twitter and check out SilentDoom on Twitter as well.

D

Deleted member

Maybe commentators will finally stop saying that Jump's drawback is taking much more knockback ala Smash months into the game's lifespan :glare:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

Shulk is too sluggish for me to play for some odd reason.

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
I am really not feeling this, cause i don't really feel things, why could i feel things like this? i don't feel an answer coming, cause Bandicoots doesn't really feel, i'm a Bandicoot, and i don't really feel it, i think you cannot really feel that Bandicoots cannot really feel things like really feeling things... Whow i really did feel that, not?

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
I definitely think shulk is the best character with a sword, but he is definitely terrible due to his frame data alone. His moves are just too damn slow for him to be that good.

Cr@zy &nger

Smash Rookie
NNID
crazydylan123
3DS FC
1332-8755-9018
How is Shulk broken, I think he's a good and balanced character, he's my third main.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Hmm, most Shulks I go against just spam smash attacks and skip the Monado Arts entirely. Others just can't use the Arts effectively.

Then there are the few who make my Bowser walk in the other direction and right off the edge into oblivion because my poor heart just can't take the salt. I pray they aren't the ones viewing this video (of course they are). With that being said Shulk definately doesn't need a nerf. #StopTheNerfs.

Seriously, if anything Nintendo needs to undo certain nerfs and let us play the game a full year and decide for ourselves what we think needs balancing. The nerfs have gotten ridiculous.

Also, yeah, go Shulk.....you Monado wielding Mongrel.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Seriously, if anything Nintendo needs to undo certain nerfs and let us play the game a full year and decide for ourselves what we think needs balancing. The nerfs have gotten ridiculous.
Sooooo much of this. Barring things like Diddy's hoo-ha, of course, but even that could've been let alone until we actually figure ourselves out.

Unfortunately, Ninendo bases their opinions on the opinions of the majority rather than those of the experienced- something I don't really blame them for as they want please as many people as possible, but that I still find less than optimal.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I tried Shulk and couldn't make use of his amazing spacing tool or Monados. I have fought people who do both of those well and they are just terrifying opponents.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
When you have to go down to the frame data to analyze a character, you're both too competitive and are overthinking a party game.

As a Shulk main myself, I think I'll stick to playing my strengths rather than try this guy's strategy.

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
Shulk, when played well, is pretty awesome.

Shulk Kirby, on the other hand...
I know it's old but still

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I always thought he has bad frame data to balance the Monado's range.
You just need to avoid using Shulk against characters with a lot of quick moves like Fox or Sheik, because of things like this secondaries are always useful.

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
i like playing shulk but when it comes to playing against more advanced players I find myself switching to my other main Mario. shulk's frame data is pretty bad and that really sucks. even though I main shulk along with Mario, I feel like I should've mained a different character that's better but I cant because I don't feel like putting in a lot of time in another character like I did with shulk and Mario. im just stuck with shulk so I might as well try and improve my play style with him. it would be nice if Nintendo came out with a patch that would slightly decrease the cool down of his moves...and maybe slightly buff some other not that good characters (marth). but yeah that's just what I think.

TheCommonSmasher

Smash Rookie
welp. Is this the day i thought id see Shulk mai boi as a mid tier? we will only see how he fairs with customs and doubles.

Eureka

Smash Ace
I was thinking the exact same thing regarding the similarities to Brawl Ike going into this video. In my opinion Shulk's massive range generally offsets his move's poor start up, what I think kills him are his practically non-existent autocancels. His back air, for instance, doesn't cancel out of a full hop, and his down and up airs barely even cancel out of a double jump! This massively hurts his ability to properly space and keep out his opponents. The odd thing is that he can act out of his air attacks way before they autocancel, maybe landing with nair could get around the bad autocancels?

Eureka

Smash Ace
When you have to go down to the frame data to analyze a character, you're both too competitive and are overthinking a party game.

As a Shulk main myself, I think I'll stick to playing my strengths rather than try this guy's strategy.
Frame data forms the very basis of a character and it's strengths and weaknesses. Not going into it would be neglecting a crucial part of what makes Shulk as a character, especially since it's such a glaring flaw of his. So I don't think it's too competitive at all.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
So Shulk is a defensive character who shuts down approach options. No wonder he murders Sonic. =/

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
This is such a tired statement. I and many other players are simply passionate about the game, want to play it at a high level and want to push our characters as far as we can, but (especially with a character like Shulk) that's only going to be done if we know the ins and outs of our characters. It's not "overthinking a party game", it's analysing a game that has competitive value because of the fact that it's not built as a conventional party game. It has the worldwide appeal of a party game, but the depth of a fighting game and that's part of the appeal of Smash as a general.

I'm not saying you can't play the game how you want. By all means go for it. I made this video to address Shulk and how he's perceived at a high/tournament level. But don't criticise how other's view the game because it doesn't correlate to how you play.

Oh and thanks a bunch for this @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill This was certainly a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
This is such a tired statement. I and many other players are simply passionate about the game, want to play it at a high level and want to push our characters as far as we can, but (especially with a character like Shulk) that's only going to be done if we know the ins and outs of our characters. It's not "overthinking a party game", it's analysing a game that has competitive value because of the fact that it's not built as a conventional party game. It has the worldwide appeal of a party game, but the depth of a fighting game and that's part of the appeal of Smash as a general.

I'm not saying you can't play the game how you want. By all means go for it. I made this video to address Shulk and how he's perceived at a high/tournament level. But don't criticise how other's view the game because it doesn't correlate to how you play.

Oh and thanks a bunch for this @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill This was certainly a pleasant surprise.
Except when a community is so divided over the competetive vs. casual that it makes me sick. So sick, in fact, I've made a video on the topic.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Except when a community is so divided over the competetive vs. casual that it makes me sick. So sick, in fact, I've made a video on the topic.
Not really, sure some people are very vocal over there opinion and act like Smash can only be played as a party game or a super competitive fighter and ignore other views. But the vast majority of players respect the other sides opinion. Most of the people who play casually are fine with that, and the same goes for competitive players. It's not like the majority of the smash community actively seeks out people with different preferences just to argue with them. Also isn't calling Smash a party game on a heavy character analysis video causing a division in the first place?

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Not really, sure some people are very vocal over there opinion and act like Smash can only be played as a party game or a super competitive fighter and ignore other views. But the vast majority of players respect the other sides opinion. Most of the people who play casually are fine with that, and the same goes for competitive players. It's not like the majority of the smash community actively seeks out people with different preferences just to argue with them. Also isn't calling Smash a party game on a heavy character analysis video causing a division in the first place?
Considering the original point of my original post (which is blatantly getting ignored, it seems - not that that's a bad thing), I don't think it counts as spam.

RANT TIME

As someone who's suffered time and again at the hand of the bully that is competitive Smash, I feel that Smash's competitive community needs to cease to exist, especially when it's own creator was so fed up with it that he made one game in the series ANTI-competitive.

Plus, I'm still pretty upset at the Melee fans for what they did to Zero at APEX. For those few listeners who subscribe to me on Youtube or listen to Podzilla 1985, I feel that Smash is one of gaming's most disgusting and toxic communities.

It's not a technical strategy game. The fans of the fighting game genre made it that way. Sakurai himself literally said it's a PARTY TITLE.

The whole point of a game is to have fun. When you're so obsessed with making someone else lose, with beating them, then it takes away what the game is there for: FUN.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Considering the original point of my original post (which is blatantly getting ignored, it seems - not that that's a bad thing), I don't think it counts as spam.

RANT TIME

As someone who's suffered time and again at the hand of the bully that is competitive Smash, I feel that Smash's competitive community needs to cease to exist, especially when it's own creator was so fed up with it that he made one game in the series ANTI-competitive.

Plus, I'm still pretty upset at the Melee fans for what they did to Zero at APEX. For those few listeners who subscribe to me on Youtube or listen to Podzilla 1985, I feel that Smash is one of gaming's most disgusting and toxic communities.

It's not a technical strategy game. The fans of the fighting game genre made it that way. Sakurai himself literally said it's a PARTY TITLE.

The whole point of a game is to have fun. When you're so obsessed with making someone else lose, with beating them, then it takes away what the game is there for: FUN.
Smash is a game that has incredible depth and strategy in it. You act like playing smash competitively means it stops being fun, which is completely wrong. Playing anything competitively is fun, the thrill of competition, the excitement of triumphing over your rival, it's amazing. If you don't want to play Smash that way that's fine, but don't come in here and tell us how we're supposed to play our game and act like we're the ones causing a division.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I think your take on Shulk is pretty refreshing, SD. I agree with the video. Thank you for putting it together.

We'll take our monado boy as far as we can. But I hope the fact of the matter doesn't put any Shulk players off.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801

RANT TIME

So you feel your isolated case justifies the severity of your argument? This seems like nothing but an unfair, sweeping generalisation to me from someone with a jaded and closed minded perspective, especially considering all the good things various members of the competitive Smash community have done. Rather than saying how the community could improve (which it definitely could, we're not perfect but no community is), saying "it shouldn't exist" does nothing constructive for anyone and only demonstrates your own prejudice against a different style of play. Fun is a completely subjective statement. Your perception of fun is no right or wrong to anyone else's and as @ E Eureka said the idea of competition, striving to better oneself and delving deep into the intricacies of the game are fun for many players. I wouldn't do what I do within the Smash community if I didn't enjoy it.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Warning Received
So you feel your isolated case justifies the severity of your argument? This seems like nothing but an unfair, sweeping generalisation to me from someone with a jaded and closed minded perspective, especially considering all the good things various members of the competitive Smash community have done. Rather than saying how the community could improve (which it definitely could, we're not perfect but no community is), saying "it shouldn't exist" does nothing constructive for anyone and only demonstrates your own prejudice against a different style of play. Fun is a completely subjective statement. Your perception of fun is no right or wrong to anyone else's and as @ E Eureka said the idea of competition, striving to better oneself and delving deep into the intricacies of the game are fun for many players. I wouldn't do what I do within the Smash community if I didn't enjoy it.
No, because it's not just me that's been bullied. I've watched it happen to others, irl and online, and it makes me sick. Wipe the cheetos dust of your fingers, shave your neckbeards, and take off your fedora, because we're all Smashers. one thing that makes me particularly mad about Smashboards is the inlux of constant competitive posts on the news page when things like casual stuff (see: Amiibo wave 4 yesterday for example) while constantly promoting a competitive scene that Nintendo itself doesn't even want.

Don't constantly shove competitive **** down our throats.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
No, because it's not just me that's been bullied. I've watched it happen to others, irl and online, and it makes me sick. Wipe the cheetos dust of your fingers, shave your neckbeards, and take off your fedora, because we're all Smashers. one thing that makes me particularly mad about Smashboards is the inlux of constant competitive posts on the news page when things like casual stuff (see: Amiibo wave 4 yesterday for example) while constantly promoting a competitive scene that Nintendo itself doesn't even want.

You have to be trolling. You can't throw out a ton of insults like that while claiming to be a victim.

10/10, my jimmies are rustled.

Eureka

Smash Ace

You claim hat you have been "bullied" by the competitive smash community, but at the same time you're throwing around frivolous insults and baseless claims. Yeah there's a lot of talk about competitive Smash on Smashboards, because competitive Smash is incredibly complex and worth talking about. And if Nintendo didn't want this competitive scene then why did they make that opening for EVO Melee top 8? Or hold an invitational tournament for Smash 4? Or make a GameCube adapter for the Wii U? We're not trying to force you to do anything, so stop forcing us to play the way you want us to.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Wipe the cheetos dust of your fingers, shave your neckbeards, and take off your fedora, because we're all Smashers.
You talk alot of **** for someone preaching about how awful competitive players are. Get over yourself. News flash the "bullying" goes both ways. If you can't take it from one side then don't dish it out on yours.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time replying to such a contradictory and hypocritical post because you will probably just talk more **** and act like a victim. Sorry bud but you acting that way doesn't improve anything. In fact the way you talk about competitive gamers is just adding fuel to the fire.

If you have something more constructive to say than by all means but don't talk about the how unhygenic competitive players are and then whine about being "bullied". The fact that you even said that screams ignorance. If you like the casual scene better than more power to you. But don't throw around your highschool mentality of being better than others because you do this or that.

/Rant.

EDIT: And i hate cheetos, i like my beard (although I shave regularly), but don't insult my sexy fedora. My girlfriend (yeah we have those too) happens to dig the way I look so G F***ing G, sir.

Last edited:
Top Bottom