• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shuffle V - February 22nd & 23rd, 2014 - Columbus, OH - MLG supported event

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Shuffle V
OSU’s Premiere Smash Tourney Returns for Round 5

Supported by MLG
shffl.org

Registration is now closed.

ESI Background
E-Sports Initiative (formerly OSI) is a nonprofit student organization that partners with companies in the digital media and e-sports industries. We equip entry-level talent with the skills, insight, and experiences that will help them launch their careers in the rapidly-maturing interactive media and video game development space, while connecting companies in the industry to this talent pool. As of fall 2013, E-Sports Initiative is focused on addressing the specific subset of STEM education that relates to the video game industry- computer science and engineering, data analytics, mathematics, and technical design and graphics. We aim to provide certification programs, unique insight into the industry, and networking and leadership development opportunities to future employees in the industry on a national scale through our network.

This will be ESI’s fifth major Smash tournament re-branded under the new, more concise name of Shuffle (inspired by SHFFLing in SSBM). In addition to having a large staff for the event, plenty of entrants, and a great venue, ESI is also working DIRECTLY with MLG on the event. This support includes their event knowledge, attributed hardware, expertise, advertising and streaming the event on MLG.tv. Needless to say, with MLG's advertising and the success of Shuffle 4 we expect this event to be huge.

That means if you bring a Wii/Brawl or Gamecube/Melee you can get your venue fee discounted(if the setup is used for pool play) . There will be 2 TVs per pool as well as several TVs for free play available during the entire tournament. In addition, projector screens will be used so people can keep an eye on the bracket as it is updated. Finally, food and parking is conveniently within and right next to the venue. There is a $5 discount on your venue fee if you bring a Gamecube/Melee and/or Wii/Brawl that is used.

Venue
Royer Student Activities Center at the Ohio State University
85 Curl Dr
Columbus, OH 43210

Google Map View
Click here for general and parking information about Royer!
There is also free parking on side streets off of N. High Street, more detail about this will be added later.

Schedule
February 22nd & 23rd, 2014
Times:

Link to schedule: http://bit.ly/shufflesch

Saturday 10:00AM to 12:00AM
Sunday 10:00AM to 5:00PM

List of Events

Melee 1v1
Melee 2v2
Brawl 1v1
Brawl 2v2
Project M 1v1
Project M 2v2
6 total

Food
Just outside Royer within 10 minutes walking distance is a Jimmy Johns, Subway, several pizza places, and the best gyros in Columbus at Apollo’s.

Money
Venue Fee: $15 ($5 off if your setup for Wii/Brawl or Gamecube/Melee is used for the tournament). This venue fee includes a custom Shuffle V wristband.
Entrance fee for Singles (1v1): $10 per player
Entrance fee for Doubles (2v2): $10 per player ($20 per team)

If entering both singles and doubles, you will have to pay for both (i.e., Two $10 entrance fees plus one $15 venue fee).

Players who sign up for multiple brackets will be responsible for getting their matches played in a timely manner.

Singles Payout
1st place: 50% of respective entry fees
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 11%
4th place: 6%
5th place: 2.5%
6th place: 2.5%
7th place: 1.5%
8th place: 1.5%

TOTAL PAYOUT: 100%

Venue fees will be put towards charity. For more information, see the ESI website.

Doubles Payout
1st place: 50% of respective entry fees
2nd place: 25% of respective entry fees
3rd place: 15% of respective entry fees
4th place: 10% of respective entry fees

TOTAL PAYOUT: 100%

Venue fees will be put towards charity by being donated to Nationwide Children's Hospital. For more information, see the ESI website.

Rules
General Gameplay Rules

Brawl Rules: The tournament will abide by the Apex 2014 Official Rules.
Melee Rules: The tournament will abide by the
Apex 2014 Official Rules. Wobbling is LEGAL. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling, as per Apex 2014 rules.

Project M Rules: The tournament will abide by the Apex 2014 Official Rules.
**Brawl and Melee are supported by MLG, but Project M is solely an ESI event.

These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Operators (Sam Posa, Derek Spinell, Amar Karamali and Brett Hutton) reserve the right to remove you from the venue at their discretion for any reason.

Note: ESI and its members, the Ohio State Student Union and its affiliates, MLG and its affiliates and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event, nor will they be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Tournament Structure
Singles will be run with pools followed by a double elimination bracket. Doubles will be a double elimination bracket.

Pool ties will be broken as follows:
  1. Number of sets won
  2. Winning percentage in games (win/loss ratio)
  3. Head-to-head
In the event of an X-way tie in Singles Pools after all tiebreakers are exhausted, a best-of-1 round robin will be played out between the X players until there is a clear order of placings.
Side Note:
Many people require housing for this event, since it is two days. If you are able to help any of the following people or groups with housing, definitely contact them and let them know!

Last edited:

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
EVENT IS PREREGISTRATION ONLY- NO PARTICIPANTS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER FEBRUARY 14

Hey guys,

We are really excited to announce our partnership with MLG For this event! Nothing is confirmed yet, but MLGAdam hinted at shuffle 5 possibly being quite important for future MLG offline events. ( https://twitter.com/MrAdamAp/status/421414711175815168 )

We will be posting schedules, specific information, set up numbers, tournament cap numbers, registration, etc shortly so keep a close eye on this thread. Also, we are looking for feedback about design issues from our last event to incorporate in this event. If you are willing to be used as a point of "contact" to run event decisions by, please shoot me an email at akaramali@esportsinitiative.org

Thanks!
Amar

Last edited:

Frogman751

Smash Cadet
I found an issue... "Melee Rules: The tournament will abide by the Apex 2014 Official Rules. The only change is that wobbling is NOT banned at Shuffle V."

but in the apex 2014 ruleset it says ... "Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed."

you may want to fix this...

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I am not missing Shuffle this time. I heard nothing but good things outside of the time issue, but I'm sure this one is going to be even better. So expect a Michigan Carpool or 2 for this :)

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Hey Ori bro, we had a bit of a time issue last event but this time we are spreading it out across two days so it should be a bit easier logistically. :)

Amar

Edit: And not only that, we are taking the extra time to prepare so everything will run smoothly - Brett

Last edited:

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Awesome, I'm definitely coming :D

Also, I don't agree with the 'Anti Mew2King' rule:

PLEASE NOTE: Due to issues last year, something needs to be done about people entering into all competitions and bottle necking progress (i.e. if one player who is good at Brawl 1v1 and 2v2 as well as Melee 1v1 and 2v2 gets to the top 16 for both side of the bracket, 4 tournaments will be hinged on one player. A possible suggestion is to still allow people to register for as many as they want, but if they make it far enough they will have to select only two tourneys to continue on in.

The amount of players who can do that are extremely few, and they should not be punished for their skill on all Smash games because of that. I see many players in the FGC enter marvel, SF, Mortal Kombat and what not, and place top 3 in everything without a rule like this in existence.

OniKasian

Smash Rookie
NNID
OniKasian
3DS FC
5112-3830-7728
Finally! Something that's closer and more manageable money wise. I really wanted to go to APEX but it was too expensive. I'm definitely going to this.

I will be providing housing for this event. Out of State people get priority.
Would you be able to house my friends and I? I haven't told them about this event yet, but I'd presume 5 people total.

Lado

Smash Rookie
I'll be here. If I know you I can house you as well, looking at you shriek.

Avion

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, it's me Avion/Sam from ESI - I was the TO of Shuffle IV and will be reprising my role as TO at Shuffle V. We've learned a lot from the mistakes of Shuffle IV and things will definitely run a lot more smoothly this time around. Most of the issues that arose last time were due to A) turnout that was FAR larger than anticipated, B) issues arising from being a subset of a larger LAN event, C) much more limited time frame, and D) no good way of communicating to the entire room quickly and effectively (shouting didn't work so well). Due to a new venue, better preparation and higher attendance expectations, none of these will be factors anymore. Hopefully you can all make it to the event - should be a great time. Thanks for your interest and hope to see you there!

PLEASE NOTE: Due to issues last year, something needs to be done about people entering into all competitions and bottle necking progress (i.e. if one player who is good at Brawl 1v1 and 2v2 as well as Melee 1v1 and 2v2 gets to the top 16 for both side of the bracket, 4 tournaments will be hinged on one player. A possible suggestion is to still allow people to register for as many as they want, but if they make it far enough they will have to select only two tourneys to continue on in.

The amount of players who can do that are extremely few, and they should not be punished for their skill on all Smash games because of that. I see many players in the FGC enter marvel, SF, Mortal Kombat and what not, and place top 3 in everything without a rule like this in existence.
This issue arose last time so we're defnitely aware of it; no worries, we are working on an ideal solution to prevent bottlenecking while not punishing skilled players.

hopefully there will actually be pools this time^^
but definitely looking forward to being there :D
There will be, no doubt. We planned on them last time but unfortunately they had to be cut - turnout was so huge and we were so far behind time-wise that there's no way in hell we would have been able to finish the bracket on time (and in fact, we still didn't fully finish). But we have it covered this time 'round :)

SoulPech

Smash Master
I was actually messaged about this. From my understanding, we wouldn't be directly TO'ing, but we would be answering any questions, etc. So, I guess that would be a TO aide type of deal.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
A
Hey everyone, it's me Avion/Sam from ESI - I was the TO of Shuffle IV and will be reprising my role as TO at Shuffle V. We've learned a lot from the mistakes of Shuffle IV and things will definitely run a lot more smoothly this time around. Most of the issues that arose last time were due to A) turnout that was FAR larger than anticipated, B) issues arising from being a subset of a larger LAN event, C) much more limited time frame, and D) no good way of communicating to the entire room quickly and effectively (shouting didn't work so well). Due to a new venue, better preparation and higher attendance expectations, none of these will be factors anymore. Hopefully you can all make it to the event - should be a great time. Thanks for your interest and hope to see you there!

This issue arose last time so we're defnitely aware of it; no worries, we are working on an ideal solution to prevent bottlenecking while not punishing skilled players.

There will be, no doubt. We planned on them last time but unfortunately they had to be cut - turnout was so huge and we were so far behind time-wise that there's no way in hell we would have been able to finish the bracket on time (and in fact, we still didn't fully finish). But we have it covered this time 'round :)
Awesome. Glad to hear that :D

gg NoMeow

Smash Rookie
A

Awesome. Glad to hear that :D

Glad you are coming!

What do you think is the best way to handle it? Last time ChuDat was here and he made it faR in three separate tournaments. Once it gets down to the end of the bracket games last longer and multiple tournaments were held up over one player. Ideally we would have enough time to run all of them over 3 or 4 days but as it stands we only have two days so we need to keep things running smoothly.

Make sense??

Amar

SoulPech

Smash Master
something that I was gonna experiment in one of my tournies is to have a corner called the "everything" corner. For those who enter the majority of the events are designated to play their matches in the corner, so that way they don't walk back and forth to bottle neck tournaments. The exception is when they're in winners semis or something and want to be put on stream or record matches.

the other method that people tend to do is to adjust the start time of the tournaments and have the people that'll go far in brackets their matches as soon as possible.

And yes, if this is gonna be a national, I feel the payout should be different.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'm interested, but not confirmed.
If I bus down to columbus, could anyone pick me up/house me?

(Housing may not be an issue, actually, but just in case)

Top Bottom