• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Hey, we're brainstorming some pretty great Toad/Captain ideas in CASII, interested parties should go check them out!
I may report some directly here later.

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
Behold the secret backpack attack:

Yeah,this comment is out of place.
I was honestly thinking about posting that here when i saw it, If he were playable that would be a really cute Smash Taunt, or maybe a Down Smash or something.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
ooo thatll be fun to find out
To be honest, even after hearing what the Toad amiibo does twice....I still don't really understand what it does. It's a hide and seek thing? What? Do you have to find the pixel Toad and it gives a little stamp for each level(hopefully to unlock something aesthetical at the end?) or is it just an easter egg?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, even after hearing what the Toad amiibo does twice....I still don't really understand what it does. It's a hide and seek thing? What? Do you have to find the pixel Toad and it gives a little stamp for each level(hopefully to unlock something aesthetical at the end?) or is it just an easter egg?
im not sure but its only a month till the update is out and we can find out

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/247831-...rio-kart-hope-his-future-is-packed-with-games
Coming from a GamesMaster interview with Nintendo’s Koichi Hayashida...

At this stage we don’t know (what's in Captain Toad's future). I personally want to see him featured in a variety of games. I’ve even ‘secretly’ emailed the director of Mario Kart to see if he’d consider including Captain Toad, but I haven’t heard back from him yet!

Coming from a GamesMaster interview with Director Shinya Hiratake...

Through the development of this game I’ve grown even fonder of Captain Toad. he can’t jump, and struggles to defeat his opponents, but it’s precisely that he is not a powerful character that he can show us his unique take on all these situations. as a developer of his game, and one of his fans, I look forward to seeing where he goes next.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wasn't Koichi Hayashida the director of 3D World and the Galaxy games?

I'd say Capt. Toad's future is set. He'll grow prominent in no time.

:231:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
so most amiibos will give us more lives, oh well
Got a link for that? Not that I doubt you, but I wanna read myself too.

So if Captain Toad DOES get in as Mario Kart DLC, what would you expect from him stats wise? Middle weight due to backpack weight? Just slightly heavier than Toad? SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT? That one's unlikely, but I kinda like the idea of such a tiny heavyweight.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Got a link for that? Not that I doubt you, but I wanna read myself too.

So if Captain Toad DOES get in as Mario Kart DLC, what would you expect from him stats wise? Middle weight due to backpack weight? Just slightly heavier than Toad? SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT? That one's unlikely, but I kinda like the idea of such a tiny heavyweight.
just look up any non toad amiibo its on the list of compatible games http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/amiibo/Figures/Mario-932503.html

as for mario kart the backpack makes me think hed be heavyweight

but you never know he may have to take it off

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Probably middleweight. His backpack isn't for show.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I just figured that Captain Toad is Toad, or at least an evolution of the same concept. Works for me. :3

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Nintendo was always a little vague about the singular toad from SMB2. It's no surprise that once they made a distinctly designed Toad practically everyone jumped ship.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'll admit, I was skeptical at first, but now I'm leaning slightly more towards Captain Toad these days.

I think finding out 'The Toad' never really truly existed for the Japanese combined with Captain Toad getting his own game and being a defined Toad with a unique set of attributes and looks has greatly influenced this.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Much like what YoshiandToad said, Captain Toad just seems like the best thing that could have happened to a well needed major Toad character in the series. Toad himself was pretty prominent in the early days, but as time went on - the character kept becoming ambiguous to the point that it seemed as though Toad was just a stand in for generic toads. Even SM3DW gave Toad blue spots, making it seem as though Nintendo was ready to just change Toad's appearance right for that game.

I personally see Captain Toad more-like the original Toad being cowardly, but courageous. Heck, Treasure Tracker was like a puzzle game just like Wario's Woods! And I'll admit, I love Captain Toad's cutesy design and charming personality. xD I really wouldn't mind if he took over the role of Toad in future games as having a well developed Toad character is better than a character who...almost seemingly doesn't exist anymore (having been replaced by hundreds of generic toads instead).

Also Treasure Tracker is a fantastic game, and it really opens up to the ideas of what the Captain can do in Smash! :D I'm definitely all for Captain Toad!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I like to think that THE Toad is Captain Toad. No matter what Nintendo says.

Like he woke up after his adventures with Mario one day and said that he no longer wanted to be a sidekick. So he sat out on his own as an adventurer across the stars.

It'd also logically explain why Toadette pals around with Captain Toad as well.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Like he woke up after his adventures with Mario one day and said that he no longer wanted to be a sidekick. So he sat out on his own as an adventurer across the stars.

That's always been my headcanon, at least.

It'd make sense that the Toad finally got tenure as his own character, after spending years as Mario's loyal sidekick and earnest protégé.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I find that odd because Blue Toad and Capt. Toad were separate in 3D World. Well, whatever.

Top Bottom