• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I want to say, I like Captain Toad, but I don't think he should be DLC for this game. There are already 7 Mario characters so I think his addition is just another Mario character. I want to see him in Smash, but I think he'd be better down the line when it's OK to add more Mario.
Yeah, I think he's a great candidate for Smash 5/6/whatever, especially if Treasure Tracker gets a sequel.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Updated the OP with all new supporters. Also included Smashchu with the * to indicate Captain Toad fan, just not for Smash 4.

That OP is looking a bit of an outdated mess now. If anyone wants to write some coherent pieces for it, I'll scrap what we have currently and start anew with everyone's new work.

(off topic: 13 years of Smashboards!)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

I've been an avid Toad main in MK ever since 7 (I guess Double Dash as well, though I also played a couple others)

But anyway, I'd love the chance to play as Toad. I can already foresee he'd have meh jumps, but great speed, perhaps even rivaling that of Fox, Sheik, etc. His upB might be a really good one to compensate for his lack of jumps.

On a side note, I just got CT:TT for Christmas and Im gonna play it in a second. X33 gonna be great.

Last edited:

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Captain Toad is the best loophole for having Toad in the game, and I prefer him over regular Toad, and I tottaly support him.
On a side note, the captain has some pretty good alternate costume options, we have Toadette, the Toad Brigade and the other Toad colors.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

I feel it'd kinda look like this. Except with backpack and stuff.

It just occured to me the possibility that his first jump would be bad, but his second jump would be assisted by something, like his backpack.

Though he'd probably have a backpack-swingin backair.

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368

I feel it'd kinda look like this. Except with backpack and stuff.

It just occured to me the possibility that his first jump would be bad, but his second jump would be assisted by something, like his backpack.

Though he'd probably have a backpack-swingin backair.
I'd find it weird playing as the captain with the floatiness of Ness. I think that the cap. would have poor jumps but maybe an excelent recovery to compensate.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Updated the OP with all new supporters. Also included Smashchu with the * to indicate Captain Toad fan, just not for Smash 4.

That OP is looking a bit of an outdated mess now. If anyone wants to write some coherent pieces for it, I'll scrap what we have currently and start anew with everyone's new work.

(off topic: 13 years of Smashboards!)
I could help write a new OP. It seems like fun c:

And happy thirteen years of waiting for Toad being on Smashboards!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Jetpack works better as DJ, so some kind of rising platform can be UpB.

And of course his first jump can be a crappy one.
Does it?

I guess it could be kind of like Samus.

But since he's a fast character, I'd prefer him to have two quick jumps and a great upB, for followups on stage, rather than a quick jump and a somewhat slower, but longer, jetpack jump.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Exactly. Sure, he can have small jumps, but his jumps would be fast. He can definitely be a ground threat.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So...remember that later level from the Treehouse? The lava one with all the boost pads? I've just played it. The difficulty in Captain Toad suddenly kicked up a notch. Holy cow. Toadette's next one isn't any more relaxing either.

Absolutely loving the game, you should all try and play it when you can!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I would get it, but I'm having a hard time deciding between Treasure Tracker, Bayonetta 2, or Tropical Freeze.
I really want to play Tropical Freeze, plus I keep hearing about how amazing Bayo 2 is.

@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad you can draw right? Maybe you could illustrate my moveset from a month ago?

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Ok, here is a try at a Captain Toad Moveset!

Stats:
Weight: 6/10, despite his light appearance, that rucksack of his ways a ton!
Size: 4/10, he is about 1.5 times the size of Kirby, maybe more.
Speed: 8/10, he may have a hefty backpack, he seem grown to it and still maintains his fast Toad Speeds.
Jump: 3/10, the Captain is a terrible jumper just like all Toads (hey, give 'em a break, at least for Smash he learned how to jump!), his first jump is at best mediocre, and his second is poor.

Neutral B: Headlamp
The good captain shines his headlamp at the opponents to stun them with the bright light! The captain can even charge up and increase the intensity of the light, prolonging the stun, another effect of the headlamp is that during moments in the dark, like when the Nightmare AT appears, the captain turns on the headlamp so you can still see him by the light. A good comparison of this moves range is Kirby's Copy abillity (the copy abillity with the visor from Super Star).

Side B: Runaway Minecart
Captain Toad hops on a Minecart and crashes into opponents, when used the cart will go straight forward and hitting the opposite direction will stop it on its tracks, the captain can also hit B to jump out of the cart. Being hit by the cart will do 15% and great knockback, but it is slower than similar moves like Wario's, but don't even try getting it by behind, as if it hits an opponent or wall it will spill behind it various coins, jewels and turnips, which do in total 10%.

Down Special: Plucked Suprises
When you do this move, Captain Toad plucks out a turnip from a sprout, he can then throw the vegetable at others, on rare occasion he may pluck out a pickaxe, it will act as a Hammer, but will obviously do less damage, and on rarer occasion he may pluck out a coin, that will heal him by 2%.

Up Special-Starshroom
What? You only thought we'd have Treasure Tracker moves? When executing this move, Captain Toad does a short hop and a random brigade member catches him on the Starshroom (possibly resized), Captain Toad will then stand on top of the ship while the brigade member controls it. The ship has good movement in the air, capable of moving horizontally while slowly going upward, the ship will take 6 seconds before returning and leaving the captain, the ship has a stamina of 10 HP, and if hit by that amount it will go away leaving Toad.

Final Smash: King of Pyropuff Peak
Captain Toad calls out Draggadon, he then hops on his head and as lava fills the bottom part of the stage, Draggadon moves through the lava with left and right and rises and lowers himself with up and down, if you press A he will do a short ranged screech, which does 20% damage and stuns, by pressing B he shoots a giant fireball, which can be angled, it does 30% damage but moves slowly. Touching the king does 5% damage.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ok, here is a try at a Captain Toad Moveset!

Stats:
Weight: 6/10, despite his light appearance, that rucksack of his ways a ton!
Size: 4/10, he is about 1.5 times the size of Kirby, maybe more.
Speed: 8/10, he may have a hefty backpack, he seem grown to it and still maintains his fast Toad Speeds.
Jump: 3/10, the Captain is a terrible jumper just like all Toads (hey, give 'em a break, at least for Smash he learned how to jump!), his first jump is at best mediocre, and his second is poor.

Neutral B: Headlamp
The good captain shines his headlamp at the opponents to stun them with the bright light! The captain can even charge up and increase the intensity of the light, prolonging the stun, another effect of the headlamp is that during moments in the dark, like when the Nightmare AT appears, the captain turns on the headlamp so you can still see him by the light. A good comparison of this moves range is Kirby's Copy abillity (the copy abillity with the visor from Super Star).

Side B: Runaway Minecart
Captain Toad hops on a Minecart and crashes into opponents, when used the cart will go straight forward and hitting the opposite direction will stop it on its tracks, the captain can also hit B to jump out of the cart. Being hit by the cart will do 15% and great knockback, but it is slower than similar moves like Wario's, but don't even try getting it by behind, as if it hits an opponent or wall it will spill behind it various coins, jewels and turnips, which do in total 10%.

Down Special: Plucked Suprises
When you execute this move, a small plant stem appears next to the Captain and he tries to pluck it out, it's useless! He can't pluck it out! Just attack him while you can! ...Bad idea. Just as you hit him, the good captain plucks out the plant, throwing a coin, turnip or hitting you with a pickaxe! Coins do only 2% damage, turnips do 7% and pickaxes do 12%.

Up Special-Starshroom
What? You only thought we'd have Treasure Tracker moves? When executing this move, Captain Toad does a short hop and a random brigade member catches him on the Starshroom (possibly resized), Captain Toad will then stand on top of the ship while the brigade member controls it. The ship has good movement in the air, capable of moving horizontally while slowly going upward, the ship will take 6 seconds before returning and leaving the captain, the ship has a stamina of 30 HP, and if hit by that amount it will go away leaving Toad.

Final Smash: King of Pyropuff Peak
Captain Toad calls out Draggadon, he then hops on his head and as lava fills the bottom part of the stage, Draggadon moves through the lava with left and right and rises and lowers himself with up and down, if you press A he will do a short ranged screech, which does 20% damage and stuns, by pressing B he shoots a giant fireball, which can be angled, it does 30% damage but moves slowly. Touching the king does 5% damage.
Runaway Minecart looks nice, would also help his supposedly bad recovery.

Starshroom would be like Villager's recovery, but with 30 HP. Sounds so OP XD

For Headlamp, I'm only worried it will be like Mewtwo's Confuse Ray, and not very useful. But it would sure look cute.

The only one I'm not digging, pardon the pun, is Plucked Surprise. From what I'm getting, it's a counter, but with a random damage output? O.o

I'd much rather it be Peach-esque in that you actually pull out the item, and are able to throw it.

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Runaway Minecart looks nice, would also help his supposedly bad recovery.

Starshroom would be like Villager's recovery, but with 30 HP. Sounds so OP XD

For Headlamp, I'm only worried it will be like Mewtwo's Confuse Ray, and not very useful. But it would sure look cute.

The only one I'm not digging, pardon the pun, is Plucked Surprise. From what I'm getting, it's a counter, but with a random damage output? O.o

I'd much rather it be Peach-esque in that you actually pull out the item, and are able to throw it.
Thanks for the feedback, I edited the post to reflect your critique, I'm not really good on what % is overpowered, so pardon making the Starshroom OP.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Thanks for the feedback, I edited the post to reflect your critique, I'm not really good on what % is overpowered, so pardon making the Starshroom OP.
I think Starshroom being OP is definitely fine witha bit less HP, because Toad's jumps would be sucky, so him having a great up B makes up for that.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I would get it, but I'm having a hard time deciding between Treasure Tracker, Bayonetta 2, or Tropical Freeze.
I really want to play Tropical Freeze, plus I keep hearing about how amazing Bayo 2 is.

@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad you can draw right? Maybe you could illustrate my moveset from a month ago?
Hmmm. Having played both Treasure Tracker and Tropical Freeze I can give you the thumbs up on both these games. Tropical Freeze is for sure a lot harder, but Captain Toad has a more relaxed 'pick up and play' style to it. I would recommend both eventually however.

I can indeed draw(to some extent). If you can repost it and tag me, I'll try and draw it over the next few days now I FINALLY, FINALLY, have some free time available.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I hope you all had a Merry Christmas ! Personally I got Captain Toad and it's AWESOME ! (this is also the reason why I avoided this thread, I didn't want to come to contact with possible spoilers, haha)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hey guys, here's my complete moveset for Captain Toad! It goes with the weight altering mechanic that was thought of before.

- Captain Toad -

Notes about this character:

- Captain Toad's moveset revolves around changing his weight by removing and adding items to his hefty backpack.
- The max amount of load he can fit is six items. He starts with three by default.
- Weight will decrease jump height and run speed, and some attacks become slower, but increases launch resistance and the power of most attacks.
- At max weight certain actions will cause Captain Toad to trip, such as landing from an aerial.
- His throws are the weakest aspect of his moveset.
- Toadette is available as an alt costume set for Captain Toad.

Entrance: Captain Toad emerges from a tunnel he dug in the ground, then dusts himself off.

Neutral special move: Item Toss:
Captain Toad tosses the items in his backpack away at enemies. By default, he starts with three items, with a maximum of six items. The damage and knockback of the toss depends on what he is throwing.

Side special move: Mine Cart Crash:
Captain Toad hops into a small minecart and rides it, crashing it after hitting an enemy. It's distance and power depends on the weight of Captain Toad's backpack. When light it will move quickly across the stage doing little damage, but when he's heavy, it will do heavy damage on impact.

Up Special move: Propeller Block:
Captain Toad lifts a Propeller Block over his head and uses it to fly. If he is light, he will go very high, but if he is heavy, the block will struggle to carry him. The propeller does damages to foes and flies off after the move is used.

Down special move: Item Find:
Captain Toad digs up an item from the ground and places it into his backpack, adding it to his weight counter. The item he finds is random, but their damage is specific. In order from weakest to strongest, he can find: a Turnip, a bag of coins, a Fossil, a Star, and a Diamond.

Final Smash: Starshroom:
Captain Toad calls down the Toad Brigade and the Starshroom and climbs in to pilot it. He can fly the ship around the stage, dropping bombs and slamming into opponents. After 15 seconds pass, the Starshroom will crash and create a devastating explosion while Captain Toad hops out unharmed.

Jab: Captain Toad does two quick punches and a rising kick.

F-tilt: Captain Toad headbutts with his headlamp.
U-tilt: Captain Toad bashes in an arc with his head.
D-tilt: Captain Toad kicks with both feet.

N-air: Captain Toad flutter kicks in the air.
F-air: Captain Toad swings a Turnip down.
B-air: Captain Toad kicks with both feet.
U-air: Captain Toad uses a Piranha Plant that bites upwards.
D-air: Captain Toad does a ground pound that sends him straight down.

Dash attack: Captain Toad stumbles and trips on his face.

U-smash: Captain Toad swings the pickaxe over his head.
F-smash: Captain Toad slings his backpack to the ground.
D-smash: Captain Toad spins around with the pickaxe.

Pummel: Captain Toad headbutts the opponent.
F-throw: Captain Toad slaps the enemy before pushing them away.
B-throw: Captain Toad grabs the enemy with both hands and throws them behind him.
U-throw: Captain Toad pushes the enemy with both hands into the air, weakly.
D-throw: Captain Toad tosses the opponent behind him before falling on them backpack first.

Downed attack: Captain Toad spins on his side while kicking.
Ledge attack: Captain Toad pins the pickaxe to the ground.
Ledge attack (100%): Captain Toad weakly pins the pickaxe to the ground.

U-taunt: Captain Toad dances in a circle while yelping.
S-taunt: Captain Toad proudly shows off his pickaxe.
D-taunt: Captain Toad lays down and rests.

Victory pose 1: Captain Toad spins around a reveals a Green Star from his inventory.
Victory pose 2: Captain Toad follows the directions on his map blindly and bumps into the camera.
Victory pose 3: Captain Toad takes notes in his notebook and closes it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is it? I tried to capture his somewhat cowardly personality by making his physical attacks somewhat weak as well as his throws.
Here's my old moveset, @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Without wishing to spoil anything, I think I've worked out why Mailtoad is missing.

WARNING - CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR POST GAME
There's several bonus levels where you, as the Captain, lead the rest of the Toad brigade through a series of levels you did before. Each Toad follows behind you. Should Mailtoad have been added, some of the puzzles would of been downright impossible due to limited space.

Mailtoad therefore I believe, has only been omitted due to gameplay reasons.

Incidentally, it becomes clear why Captain Toad is the leader when you realise none of the others can pluck, chuck, or take a hit, albeit this is also for gameplay reasons.

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I do like Captain Toad as a character, and I think Toad has good potential for a fighter in Smash. I lend my support.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
No, no. I'm looking for contributions. So if anyone wants to write a new section for the OP, I'll throw that in. It's to be a collab between Brigade members.
Ahh, okay. What's up to write about?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So this is the Toad amiibo.

Interesting that the amiibo is of THE Toad (red spots, blue vest) yet his name is written in blue just like BLUE Toad in Super Mario 3D World and yet it is compatible with CAPTAIN Toad: Treasure Tracker.

Also, it is noteworthy to mention that Toad is the first and (so far) the only non-Smash character to get an amiibo.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So this is the Toad amiibo.

Interesting that the amiibo is of THE Toad (red spots, blue vest) yet his name is written in blue just like BLUE Toad in Super Mario 3D World and yet it is compatible with CAPTAIN Toad: Treasure Tracker.

Also, it is noteworthy to mention that Toad is the first and (so far) the only non-Smash character to get an amiibo.
Surely the most bizarre honour, an amiibo can get. I get why it's not Captain though; Mario Party still uses 'Toad' rather than 'Captain Toad'...although I would have loved for the Captain to get an amiibo...or even a role in Mario Party.

It's been a while since this topic has been updated, but how is everyone enjoying Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker? I know many of you got it for Xmas, how are you finding it?

Kenith, I have made a start on your moveset but I've had a hell of a few weeks IRL so I'm afraid it's been delayed. I'm going to continue when I can though. Just thought I better update you on that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I finished Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. I am now just collecting diamonds and getting check marks.

I really hope Nintendo will make Captain Toad 2 with new puzzles, new items, new enemies, and new bosses.

I would hype even more if the enemies from Wario's Woods are revived in Captain Toad games in addition to Birdo and Wanda.

Wario's Woods (NES)

Fauster

Boom

Mad

Goro

Maybe redesign him to resemble a brick golem (think Dragon Quest) version of Donkey Kong.

Seizer

Hmmm... maybe he could be redesigned to be like the boss of the Grim Leechers. Hey, maybe the Grim Leechers would try to knock Toad off the vegetable carts and Toad must throw vegetables at them in order to stay on the cart?

Drago

Maybe redesign him to make him resemble a green Draggadon.

Wario's Woods (SNES)

Katsini

Aqualea

Lizardon

Monsieur Boo

Maybe give him a redesign to make him look like a Big Boo with a beret. He could be the leader of the Boos in Toad's game.

Sarissa

Parrator

Maybe redesign him to resemble a green/pink Wingo.

Thak

Galrog

Sam Spook

Yes, keep him as is... he would be a good boss with Jack O' Goombas.

Carlton

Harley Quin

Sven

Mangylox

Tad Rock

Razor

Harry Hare

Might as well redesign him to resemble a Star Bunny in a suit.

Wario's Woods enemies

Fuzz

Spud

This one seems perfect as a vegetable enemy where you pull it out from the ground much like the Piranha Sprouts and the moles.

Squeak

Beaker

Scram

Dovo

Spook

A guy can dream...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Imagine a scenario where Toad amiibos are sold out in all stores because Toad is the only one who doesn't have a Smash amiibo and everyone already have Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser/Yoshi Smash amiibos.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
A Toad Amiibo... I want it.

Perhaps Captain Toad will be the next Smash DLC character, unlockable via the Toad Amiibo?

Top Bottom