• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

HotNTasty

Smash Apprentice
Having Gotten a look at this game I really see the moveset potential. Add me to the supporters list.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It usually occurs exactly 3 weeks after you had registered the CN code of Smash on the website. In order to do any of that, you need to sign up for a Club Nintendo account.
Aw...I don't have a CN account... Say, Azure....Do you think you could do me a big favor?.....Actually, head to the Pilot Wings thread, could you? I don't want to accidentally get anyone off-topic on Captain Toad and all.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
i just had this wonderful idea

for CT/CToadette's recovery move, it could be Wingo.
think about it; Wingo kind of DOES need representation if CT is in, and for the final smash: the lava dinosaur.

when i thought about these I was just....mindblown.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Isn't Wingo a bit too big? It would be weird to see a giant bird keep flying in to swoop a tiny Toad every time Toad gets hit in the middle of his recovery.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wouldn't he still need a recovery move, regardless?

Most characters Up + B's are recovery moves, unless they're already good in the air; Yoshi's Double Jump, Jigglypuff...Ness can turn his in to a recovery move with a bit of skill, etc.

Whilst I see how Wingo would make a lot of sense, I too am a little concerned about the size of the bird.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If he has the weight change mechanic, he should have a recovery move that becomes weaker and less effective the heavier he is.
I chose Propeller Block from Super Mario 3D Land (maybe World too, I'm not sure)

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
The propeller block seems like the most fitting in regards to Captain Toad's size personally. It gives him a great recovery despite however his jumps will be portrayed as. Let's not forget that they work similarly to those "blow platforms" from SM3DW/CTTT - so it's not too farfetched to have the Captain using a propeller block.

If Captain Toad does get his own stage from Treasure Tracker, why not have Wingo be the "Ridley/Metal Face/Yellow Devil" of that stage? Just flying in and randomly picking up other characters/snatching items/attacking/etc? Would work well considering Wingo's enormous size too.

Also it's kind of an afterthought; however, Mr. Hayashida, who developed Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, considers Captain Toad and Toad to being two separate characters in a recent interview.

Further into the game, you can attempt clearing the stages with a time challenge that appears on the stage selection screen! By the way, Captain Toad is actually not the same Toad as the Toad who’s playable in games like Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario’s Woods, but if you’re a fan of all Toads, I recommend playing Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, NES Remix 2, or even the NES Remix PACK!"
Link to the interview: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYMHAAACAAADVHhqTRtYFw

While he's just one developer from Nintendo, this is something in regards to the identity of the two Toads. Though then again the whole Toad gender issues and whatnot kinda makes me believe that Nintendo is finally taking the time to develop the Toad characters after all these years. Better late than never...

Regardless, I still picture Captain Toad to being more like the original Toad from Wario's Woods and SMB2 in comparison to Toad from SM3DW - but regardless, I still would love to see Captain Toad make it to Smash someday in the near future!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Captain Toad and THE Toad are two different Toads according to Word of God... then Nintendo needs to make a game that shows both Captain Toad and THE Toad (and maybe Red Toad) coexisting at the same time to make it crystal clear that they are not the same person... no more confusion... no more omitting Red Toad or THE Toad from scenes whenever Captain Toad appears.

Nintendo, we are not Clark Kent's friends where we never notice how Clark Kent is never around whenever Superman shows up or vice versa. Please stop making it look like they are the same person if you intend to make them different individuals.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/243328-...k-would-love-to-work-with-the-character-again
NL: We have to ask, what’s actually in Captain Toad’s backpack?

Hiratake-san: Hmmm, I wonder…
I’m curious about this too so let’s have a look.
Some coins, a banana, a dumbbell, a pillow…I’m just kidding!
I think we’ll keep the contents of Captain Toad’s backpack the biggest secret of this game.

NL: Would you like to see Captain Toad, Toadette and the other Toads appear in more of their own games in future?

Hayashida-san: Here in the development team we’ve really come to love Captain Toad and the Toad Brigade from Super Mario Galaxy! We’re really happy to have been able to make a game where they are the main stars. I hope we’ll be seeing them pop up in all sorts of other places in future.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Shoot.

I, uh...

never noticed Wingo's size. It'd still be funny, though.

About Toad-not-being-CT, that's weird. I don't imagine that Toadette would just build a bond with another Toad who suspiciously has red dots like WW Toad... but Hayadisha said SMB2 and WW. SMB2 Toad has blue dots and 3DW is the "successor " of that game. Wouldn't that mean that Blue Toad is really THE Toad all along? Because you never get to play as Red-Cap-Blue-Vest besides spinoffs.

But in SM3DW's credits, it showed CT and his brigade, right? Missing one Toad. Blue Toad. RCBV Toad can't be CT, but he can be Blue Toad, who is already playable. And there's no RCBV Toad in 3DW.

does this give me another reason to be mindblown

but you can say "wario's woods" and break this whole theory

kinda glad it's broken cause i would like THE Toad to be in Smash
also ; SMB2 Toad wasn't blue on purpose. It was the system, like how in TLoz Alttp Link's hair is pink.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
In response to the wingo idea.
It could work if most of Wingo was in the background and only one claw was in the fighting plane.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Whaat? Captain Toad isn't regular Toad?

That... that actually kind of disappoints me. Are they just trying to kill off classic Toad?

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they're trying to kill off classic Toad per say. I mean, heck - the producer even acknowledges classic Toad as the same one who was playable in both Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods. But Toad's design of a red cap/blue vest might have changed in their minds (at least in the main series).

If anything, Nintendo is probably trying to recon classic Toad to becoming the blue one we saw from SM3DW imo. Heck, SM3DW was a reboot of SMB2 as it brought back the classic characters from SMB2. The only difference was that Toad has blue spots as opposed to red. Was it to make a greater difference in the character's appearance? Who knows. Maybe to make Toad more relevant due to how we kept getting a random playable blue Toad from the nsmb games? It's really weird tbh...though if Nintendo keeps this trend up, I hope that they at least make Toad more differentiated as a blue Toad in the future. Much like how they made Captain Toad a distinguished Toad character.

Though...it's suspicious how Captain Toad's beta icon from SM3DW was infact an icon of Toad himself with red spots and a blue vest. Very mysterious...though it's possible that they wanted to keep Toad as a separate character from the Captain so that they could introduce Captain Toad's levels into SM3DW as a test. Seemed like the Captain Toad levels were a big touch to SM3DW's develop so who knows.

But in SM3DW's credits, it showed CT and his brigade, right? Missing one Toad. Blue Toad. RCBV Toad can't be CT, but he can be Blue Toad, who is already playable. And there's no RCBV Toad in 3DW.
The strange thing is that Blue Toad of the Toad Brigade, does exist but in the Mushroom Kingdom at the same time. In CTTT, he was cheering for Captain Toad and Toadette in the credits alongside Yellow and Banktoad right before Captain Toad heads off to the Sprixie Kingdom. Not to mention that "Classic Toad" (our other blue Toad) was walking right alongside Mario, Luigi and Peach minutes later. Unless the TB Blue Toad could change out of his glasses and uniform to match Classic Toad, meet up with Mario and co + begin having a casual conversation, these two must be different...ugh, this is confusing.

Also same applies to the Yellow and Banktoad characters. They would have had to change uniforms to their regular vests to somehow appear in the Sprixie Kingdom. Though how they would have known that the Captain was in the Sprixie Kingdom is beyond me. Also there is that purple Toad...who has no relevancy to CTTT. Poor Mailtoad. :(

Last edited:
I'm honestly fine if they're trying to cut off the Toad. Captain Toad's already much interesting anyway

Most characters Up + B's are recovery moves, unless they're already good in the air; Yoshi's Double Jump, Jigglypuff...Ness can turn his in to a recovery move with a bit of skill, etc.

Whilst I see how Wingo would make a lot of sense, I too am a little concerned about the size of the bird.
I'm gonna go with the propeller block being his recovery. Super jump is already thrown out of the window thanks to the whole "Captain Toad can't jump" mechanic being emphasized in this game

His jump height is probably still going to be bad anyway. It should be so whatever
My god that was hilarious :laugh:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Whaat? Captain Toad isn't regular Toad?

That... that actually kind of disappoints me. Are they just trying to kill off classic Toad?
I guess the blue spotted Toad in SMB3DW is being retconned to be the closest thing to 'the Toad' now.

These past few months the Toads have had even more of an identity crisis than ever before.

Overall though if it's a choice between the Captain and the speedster from 3D World, I've gotta stick with Captain. He's a lot more emotive, has his own unique traits now and although minor; the blue spots on the head have always felt somehow wrong to me.

Such a nitpick, but there you go. I will miss the blue vested, red spotted look though. That was a big part of my childhood.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I'll miss Toad, but I think he'll still be available in Karts and Parties...hopefully. I love Captain Toad to death, but Toad was basically the beginning for me. I still think Captain Toad is just Toad in disguise.

It's weird how, in-game, Toadette is simply Toadette: not Cadet Toadette, Captain Toadette, but just Toadette. Is she the same Toadette or not? Nintendo, I want answers!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad is awesome. Don't care that Captain Toad and "The Toad" aren't the same. As long as HES IN SMASHBROS.
That's how I feel too... would be better if Toad is in Smash and he has both classic Toad and Captain Toad as alts.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
My name's not on the support list? Add it, please. :p

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
its not official some stores have broken the street date

apparently they learned nothing from our punishment for when they did that with x & y
We got punished? Remind me please fogbadge, I really can't recall what they did.

My copy turned up today. Excitement levels are through the roof. I'll be trying it out shortly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We got punished? Remind me please fogbadge, I really can't recall what they did.

My copy turned up today. Excitement levels are through the roof. I'll be trying it out shortly.
we got ORAS a week later than everybody else, i know it doesnt seem like much but nintendo did say that if they broke the street date we'd get other games later

they keep breaking the street dates and before you know we're back to waiting half a year on a game

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Captain Toad is not the "Leader" Toad?

By this logic Koopalings aren't Bowser's kids, either.

It quite tires me how Nintendo wants to so make sure that Mario-series' canon has to stay as ambiguous as it can get. Ah well, I guess this means we can just keep on the more popular head-canons instead of just treating what is basically "fill in yourselves" as "canon." that we should spouse to other people for sake of destroying their own interpretations.

Alas, seems like yet another part of our childhood has finally been buried dead. There's never been "The Toad" guys. There are only numerous Toads.
It seems Captain Toad might just be the final one we can ever look upon as his own individual mushroom lad in the vast world of Mario where everything with slight bit of canon or continuity is always cleared for sake of gameplay or perhaps to avoid fan debates. IDK.

T the Mewtwo fan

Smash Rookie
Put up 1 more supporter for the Captain. I want him in smash so much, he is one of my most wanted dlc chars

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
nintendo never considered this cannon only NOA and only for two games
I know. But I really think they should - at the end, what's there to lose when you only gain from world building? Heck, Koopalings' names came from NOA and it really builds on their identity. Or well, we could just have them stay nameless like in the japanese versions.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291

I know I'm late to this topic but remember in a trailer, Captain Toad was jumping off a seesaw by a spikeball on the other side? Maybe he spawns a seesaw below him and is flung off when a spikeball spawns on the other side of the seesaw?

Also, I got Treasure Tracker! Can't play till Christmas but I'm looking forward to it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I want to say, I like Captain Toad, but I don't think he should be DLC for this game. There are already 7 Mario characters so I think his addition is just another Mario character. I want to see him in Smash, but I think he'd be better down the line when it's OK to add more Mario.

Top Bottom