• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
This game is doing absolutely great so far and I'm glad to see all these very positive reviews too! :)

Let's hope the sales for Captain Toad pick up once it launches worldwide. I honestly want this game to sell well...Toad's first big outing with his own name in the very title. The game has gotten so much praise too, so I'd love to see Captain Toad recognized even more and be used in future Mario games too as a major character!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The thing I'd like to see in a Captain Toad sequel is something that could be very interesting for a moveset, that's the only thing Captain Toad really needs to have a great shot at being playable in the next Smash.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Maybe something that actually is associated with a mushroom, like spores for example. But it would be kind of strange and out of character.
I honestly can't think of anything for Captain Toad that would suit him well.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
After playing the Treasure Tracker demo, I can safely say I'm hooked. CAPTAIN TOAD FOR DLC! (I'll admit I see a little bit of Bandana Dee in him in terms of role and Fanbase reaction "GUH HUH generic enemy")

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Maybe something that actually is associated with a mushroom, like spores for example. But it would be kind of strange and out of character.
I honestly can't think of anything for Captain Toad that would suit him well.
Spores you say? Sports Mix had Toad(regular) unleash a whole bunch as his special and spawn some mushrooms that would travel around the stage, knocking opponents over and clearing the way for him:

Regular Toad also unleashed them in Mario Tennis if he was hit with the ball and of course; in Smash.

That said there's no spore evidence inside the platformers/puzzlers, and the recent statement about Toads not actually being mushroom people(slightly overshadowed by the gender issue thing) probably makes it unlikely that we'll see spores in a hypothetical Treasure Tracker 2.

I was kind of hoping the Golden Mushroom item would do more than give you 50 coins, but ce la vie. The game is about grabbing as many coins as possible...

...maybe he'll be banned for being too OP in Coin Battle.

Remember coin battle? No? No one else plays it either.

Just gonna drop by and say

I'm indifferent regarding the mushroom whatever powers of Toad now

That due to him not being an anthropomorphic mushroom anymore or because Treasure Tracker's given him different options?
Treasure Tracker

Also, I'll laugh my way to the sunset if this guy has a ****ty air game that's even worse than Mac's....

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If he had a bad air game, what exactly would he have to make up for that weakness?
Projectiles, so he's a Duck Hunt-styled character?
Well, we do have the turnip cannon! Perhaps he'd be a rapid fire turnip flinger.

I do kinda see him as having a decent recovery, but poor air game. Depending on what would be used; Potted Piranha plant tether grabs, cannons and minecarts ala Clown Kart would probably get him back on to the stage...

I do really like the idea of a projectile master combined with a weight alteration gimmick. It's been talked about before, but the ability to store items in that backpack could allow for a strong projectile game. The less items stored, the faster and lighter you are...

He could technically be the a heavyweight projectile user. That's something I never imagined I'd say about Toad.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
While Captain Toad may possibly become DLC, the chances of him being added in Smash 6's roster is rather high since Sakurai bluntly said that this is the last Smash game that he would ever work on. This is good news and bad news for not just Toad supporters, but for those who support the Hype 2 (Ridley and K. Rool).

As for the reviews, I'm glad that they are positive since it's a rather unique twist on the Mario genre (With one of the most overlooked of the Toads being playable).

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I don't have Treasure Tacker yet!! But it's at the top of my Christmas list! I should be playing it on Christmas day! Can't wait!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I do not yet possess the game, regrettably.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord

What alts should Captain Toad have?

(Finally taking this discussion out of the Leaks and Rumors Thread)

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Game is simply AMAZING! Definitely a great game to relax to after Smash. xD

Also Captain Toad can't fight for the nay-sayers?

That's right, Captain Toad can even manipulate terrains to defeat his enemies. What a dangerous little fella! :D

I'm glad it states that he isn't any "weak" Toad. He definitely has power, he just doesn't like fighting.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If I recall correctly, wasn't Toad exceptionally poor in terms of jumping but able to maintain consistent speed whilst carrying items in Super Mario Bros. 2?

I can definitely envision him being a tiny heavyweight with poor jumping abilities yet remarkable recovery. He'd definitely fill some sort of peculiar niche and stand out from the crowd due to his bizarre physical idiosyncrasies.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
^Yes, you are absolutely correct in regards to Toad's speed and jumps. Captain Toad or Toad would definitely have to have horrible jumps for sure; however, speed is something that Toad has always been associated with. I honestly wouldn't mind to see if Captain Toad appears as a character that feels awkward to use; however, can be rewarding when used right (for Smash). It would fit his character in such a way!

Also looks like we got a clean model of the mummified Toad characters known as the "Mummy Me" from Treasure Tracker! Would be neat if these guys were an alt for the Captain too. xD

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
^Yes, you are absolutely correct in regards to Toad's speed and jumps. Captain Toad or Toad would definitely have to have horrible jumps for sure; however, speed is something that Toad has always been associated with. I honestly wouldn't mind to see if Captain Toad appears as a character that feels awkward to use; however, can be rewarding when used right (for Smash). It would fit his character in such a way!
I main Palutena, I know exactly what you mean~

Nah, all joking and my undying love for Ladypal aside, I'm actually pretty excited about the prospect of the little guy being a playable character. It's not something I would've given much thought to prior to Treasure Tracker, but Nintendo clearly sees potential in him, and I'll be damned if I can say that I think he has no future ahead of him. He could very easily end up becoming a Yoshi / Wario figure and end up representing his own series at some point down the line, even, which would be pretty great for Toad and Toad fans together~

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

Also looks like we got a clean model of the mummified Toad characters known as the "Mummy Me" from Treasure Tracker! Would be neat if these guys were an alt for the Captain too. xD

Mummy Toad is the greatest new enemy I've seen in a long time.

Hm... He should be a run and gun character then. A lot of projectile throwing and running around but his jump height is crap. He's probably gonna have a Nathan-Drake like moveset which means environmental attacks (Check Drake's moveset in PSABR)

Yeah. I can definitely see it. A vision

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hey guys, here's my complete moveset for Captain Toad! It goes with the weight altering mechanic that was thought of before.

- Captain Toad -

Notes about this character:

- Captain Toad's moveset revolves around changing his weight by removing and adding items to his hefty backpack.
- The max amount of load he can fit is six items. He starts with three by default.
- Weight will decrease jump height and run speed, and some attacks become slower, but increases launch resistance and the power of most attacks.
- At max weight certain actions will cause Captain Toad to trip, such as landing from an aerial.
- His throws are the weakest aspect of his moveset.
- Toadette is available as an alt costume set for Captain Toad.

Entrance: Captain Toad emerges from a tunnel he dug in the ground, then dusts himself off.

Neutral special move: Item Toss:
Captain Toad tosses the items in his backpack away at enemies. By default, he starts with three items, with a maximum of six items. The damage and knockback of the toss depends on what he is throwing.

Side special move: Mine Cart Crash:
Captain Toad hops into a small minecart and rides it, crashing it after hitting an enemy. It's distance and power depends on the weight of Captain Toad's backpack. When light it will move quickly across the stage doing little damage, but when he's heavy, it will do heavy damage on impact.

Up Special move: Propeller Block:
Captain Toad lifts a Propeller Block over his head and uses it to fly. If he is light, he will go very high, but if he is heavy, the block will struggle to carry him. The propeller does damages to foes and flies off after the move is used.

Down special move: Item Find:
Captain Toad digs up an item from the ground and places it into his backpack, adding it to his weight counter. The item he finds is random, but their damage is specific. In order from weakest to strongest, he can find: a Turnip, a bag of coins, a Fossil, a Star, and a Diamond.

Final Smash: Starshroom:
Captain Toad calls down the Toad Brigade and the Starshroom and climbs in to pilot it. He can fly the ship around the stage, dropping bombs and slamming into opponents. After 15 seconds pass, the Starshroom will crash and create a devastating explosion while Captain Toad hops out unharmed.

Jab: Captain Toad does two quick punches and a rising kick.

F-tilt: Captain Toad headbutts with his headlamp.
U-tilt: Captain Toad bashes in an arc with his head.
D-tilt: Captain Toad kicks with both feet.

N-air: Captain Toad flutter kicks in the air.
F-air: Captain Toad swings a Turnip down.
B-air: Captain Toad kicks with both feet.
U-air: Captain Toad uses a Piranha Plant that bites upwards.
D-air: Captain Toad does a ground pound that sends him straight down.

Dash attack: Captain Toad stumbles and trips on his face.

U-smash: Captain Toad swings the pickaxe over his head.
F-smash: Captain Toad slings his backpack to the ground.
D-smash: Captain Toad spins around with the pickaxe.

Pummel: Captain Toad headbutts the opponent.
F-throw: Captain Toad slaps the enemy before pushing them away.
B-throw: Captain Toad grabs the enemy with both hands and throws them behind him.
U-throw: Captain Toad pushes the enemy with both hands into the air, weakly.
D-throw: Captain Toad tosses the opponent behind him before falling on them backpack first.

Downed attack: Captain Toad spins on his side while kicking.
Ledge attack: Captain Toad pins the pickaxe to the ground.
Ledge attack (100%): Captain Toad weakly pins the pickaxe to the ground.

U-taunt: Captain Toad dances in a circle while yelping.
S-taunt: Captain Toad proudly shows off his pickaxe.
D-taunt: Captain Toad lays down and rests.

Victory pose 1: Captain Toad spins around a reveals a Green Star from his inventory.
Victory pose 2: Captain Toad follows the directions on his map blindly and bumps into the camera.
Victory pose 3: Captain Toad takes notes in his notebook and closes it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is it? I tried to capture his somewhat cowardly personality by making his physical attacks somewhat weak as well as his throws.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hey guys, here's my complete moveset for Captain Toad! It goes with the weight altering mechanic that was thought of before.

- Captain Toad -

- Captain Toad's moveset revolves around changing his weight by removing and adding items to his hefty backpack.
- The max amount of load he can fit is six items. He starts with three by default.
- Weight will decrease jump height and run speed, and some attacks become slower, but increases launch resistance and the power of most attacks.
- At max weight certain actions will cause Captain Toad to trip, such as landing from an aerial.

Entrance: Captain Toad emerges from a tunnel he dug in the ground, then dusts himself off.

Captain Toad tosses the items in his backpack away at enemies. By default, he starts with three items, with a maximum of six items. The damage and knockback of the toss depends on what he is throwing.

Captain Toad hops into a small minecart and rides it, crashing it after hitting an enemy. It's distance and power depends on the weight of Captain Toad's backpack. When light it will move quickly across the stage doing little damage, but when he's heavy, it will do heavy damage on impact.

Captain Toad lifts a Propeller Block over his head and uses it to fly. If he is light, he will go very high, but if he is heavy, the block will struggle to carry him. The propeller does damages to foes and flies off after the move is used.

Captain Toad digs up an item from the ground and places it into his backpack, adding it to his weight counter. The item he finds is random, but their damage is specific. In order from weakest to strongest, he can find: a Turnip, a bag of coins, a Fossil, a Star, and a Diamond.

Captain Toad calls down the Toad Brigade and the Starshroom and climbs in to pilot it. He can fly the ship around the stage, dropping bombs and slamming into opponents. After 15 seconds pass, the Starshroom will crash and create a devastating explosion while Captain Toad hops out unharmed.

B-throw: Captain Toad grabs the enemy with both hands and throws them behind him.
D-throw: Captain Toad tosses the opponent behind him before falling on them backpack first.

Victory pose 1: Captain Toad spins around a reveals a Green Star from his inventory.
Victory pose 2: Captain Toad follows the directions on his map blindly and bumps into the camera.

How is it? I tried to capture his somewhat cowardly personality by making his physical attacks somewhat weak as well as his throws.
Wow this moveset is absolutely perfect for Captain toad! It's unique and captures his abilities very well.

A question I have is how heavy would Captain toad be at his base, heaviest, and lightest Weight?
Also would Captain Toad throw the items out of his backpack one at time, or all at once? Perhaps you could hold down the B button to chose how many items to you want throw out of your inventory.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wow this moveset is absolutely perfect for Captain toad! It's unique and captures his abilities very well.

A question I have is how heavy would Captain toad be at his base, heaviest, and lightest Weight?
Also would Captain Toad throw the items out of his backpack one at time, or all at once? Perhaps you could hold down the B button to chose how many items to you want throw out of your inventory.
Toad tosses one item at a time, at about the speed of Olimar's Pikmin Toss move.
Here's a comparison for you:

- At the lowest weight, Captain Toad has one of the top run speeds in the game.
- At the lowest weight, Captain Toad has about the same height in his jump as Mario.

- At mid weight (3 items), Captain Toad has the same running speed as Mega Man.
- At mid weight (3 items), Captain Toad has the same height in his jump as Ganondorf.

- At max weight (6 items), Captain Toad has the same running speed of Ganondorf.
- At max weight (6 items), Captain Toad's jump height is almost non-existent.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
People need to stop saying Toad cannot fight and he is too peaceful. He just doesn't like fighting but he won't let anyone push him around. That means he prefers to solve problems peacefully but he will use violence as a last resort.

Toad's moveset needs to involve manipulating the course objects and terrain to fight his opponents.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

- Captain Toad -

I actually really do like the idea of a weight based gimmick for Captain Toad. Lot of thought went into this clearly.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the item throw for B, but that's nearly entirely because of Kirby's copy.

Actually scratch that, I don't give a stuff about Kirby's copy issues. This is <3

People need to stop saying Toad cannot fight and he is too peaceful. He just doesn't like fighting but he won't let anyone push him around. That means he prefers to solve problems peacefully but he will use violence as a last resort.

Toad's moveset needs to involve manipulating the course objects and terrain to fight his opponents.
I think I suggested such a thing way back when we were looking at Wario's Woods for default Toad moveset options...I'm not sure how to translate it to a Smash moveset, but since Treasure Tracker often has Captain Toad manipulating the world around him, I'd be more than okay if we had one move for that.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I'm kinda iffy about this special. Everything else is toadally amazing

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Definitely love that moveset Kenith! It really reflects upon Captain Toad well as a character too.

Also...I thought of another gimmick that Captain Toad could possibly bring with him if he does become playable. It's a rather risky one; however, it could potentially be unique if made right.

How about a situation in which Captain Toad and Toadette are partner characters; however, they don't appear on screen during a battle at the same time. No, I don't mean a duo type of character like the Ice Climbers nor do I mean this to imply for Captain Toad to summon Toadette out for an attack.

What I mean by this is to have either Captain Toad or Toadette swap in and out for every even and odd life stock each time one of them is knocked out. For instance, the player would start with Captain Toad; however, once Captain Toad is KO'd in a stock match, Toadette instead appears as opposed to Captain Toad for the next life. Once she appears, the player plays as Toadette until she is KO'd - then Captain Toad reappears and so on. This can be done consecutively for odd and even lives (perhaps Captain Toad appears for the odd number stock while Toadette is for the even).

This is a reference to how both Captain Toad and Toadette are playable separately in different levels within Treasure Tracker; however, both still share a common goal of obtaining treasure and are still partners regardless.

In this sense, we have a partner system of sorts for Captain Toad along with Toadette. Perhaps both can play slightly different in which Toadette might have better jumps and speed than the Captain; however, Captain Toad offers more power and maybe some move differences.

It's a different kind of gimmick...however, if Sakurai (or whoever directs the next Smash game) wants a unique feature about Captain Toad - this could be an idea. Additionally, it has both Toad partners fighting - just not at the same time. It's kind of like a team in which one fighter goes out to battle while the other swaps in when the other is wounded. Kinda like the Pokemon Trainer and his Pokemon I suppose; however, you cannot freely swap between the two Toads.

Anyways, just an idea that popped into my mind while exploring Treasure Tracker. XD

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've just got done with my Post Review Survey for Smash Wii U on Club Nintendo and made sure to request the Captain of all Toads. Now all that's left to do is to wait for the magic to happen soon. :chuckle:

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I feel like the Captain should have an anglable projectile for dealing with airborne enemies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As someone who's intensely interested in CT:TT, I would be all for Captain Toad for SSB4.

Top Bottom