• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Strofirko

Smash Master
They are breaking the rules too much,I mean c'mon,are the toads genetic modificate mushrooms?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I love Nintendo but sometimes they change their minds and pull this stuff out of their asses too much.

If they hadn't decided if the Toads had genders or not yet, then why in all the official manuals for games and merchandise are the Toads given genders. Hell, even in Captain Toad: Treasure Track it's ''Join Captain Toad on HIS greatest adventure."

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love Nintendo but sometimes they change their minds and pull this stuff out of their ***** too much.

If they hadn't decided if the Toads had genders or not yet, then why in all the official manuals for games and merchandise are the Toads given genders. Hell, even in Captain Toad: Treasure Track it's ''Join Captain Toad on HIS greatest adventure."
SJTs: check your privilege! die cis fungus!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, **** no! I was already calling BS when Nintendo stated that the Koopalings were not Bowser's kids, I am SO not dealing with this mess! Toad is clearly a boy and Toadette is DEFINITELY clearly a girl. I don't care what Nintendo says anymore. I WILL keep calling the Koopalings as Bowser's kids (alongside Bowser Jr., of course) and I WILL keep referring to the Toad race by their gender. I'm not trying to sound sexist, believe me, I just don't want to be anymore confused than I already am.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Cissexist, you mean... you were not trying to sound cissexist.

But fine, okay, fine... if Nintendo says Toads are genderless... then they are genderless... so my theory is that the Toads are probably biologically genderless... but THE Toad (who is also Captain Toad) identifies with the male gender.... and Toadette identifies with the female gender.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I could understand this if they said the Yoshi species was genderless. I mean Yoshi generally is referred to as a male, but he lays eggs, that lends better to a genderless race than Toads where the two most prominent members are characters that have very typically defined male and female traits. And when referred to in all media they are given the pronouns of those traits.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Cissexist, you mean... you were not trying to sound cissexist.

But fine, okay, fine... if Nintendo says Toads are genderless... then they are genderless... so my theory is that the Toads are probably biologically genderless... but THE Toad (who is also Captain Toad) identifies with the male gender.... and Toadette identifies with the female gender.
Oh, yeah. Thanks for correcting me.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
...and then there's Toadsworth and his moustache. Unless such thick moustaches aren't suddenly male only and we discover Wario's actually been a woman the entire time...

Actually this makes Luigi cosplaying as Peach in Mario and Luigi even more confusing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hes he never made them with genders in mind he never said they were genderless calm down everyone

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Lawl, what the heck ?

It's best not to pay them any mind. Toadette is obviously a she while Toad is a he.

I'm glad other people would like Toadsworth playable in Captain Toad as well !

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
hes he never made them with genders in mind he never said they were genderless calm down everyone
At first I thought this, but then the moment Toadette gets mentioned as not being created with a gender in mind, all logic flies out the window and I have to call bull****.

• She's pink; traditionally the colour most female counterparts are given. These days pink is used more for male characters too, but the general rule is if it's pink, it's female.

• She's been designed to appear female; mushroom pigtails, a dress under her vest, higher pitch voice, etc.

• She's clearly created as a female counterpart to Toad; her name is even Toadette. Ette being the feminine addition; example Smurfette to Smurfs.

This probably wouldn't irk me so much if there were people genuinely confused over the gender of the Toads prior to this announcement like people weren't sure on Tweety Pie or Jerry of Tom and Jerry's fame's gender, but no one was really asking what gender Captain Toad was due to it being...well, kinda obvious. He's very much masculine.

HOWEVER, that said there are some questions answered that people wanted to know; Toad and Toadette are NOT romantically involved, nor are they siblings, but they are friends.

Also they aren't mushrooms! That's actually a pretty big find. They're not actually anthromorphic mushrooms...which makes how they release spores in Smash, Mario Tennis and Sports Mix somewhat questionable.

Now the only other big questions are; who the bleeding hell is that Blue Toad in 3D World, Where IS Toadsworth, and is Captain Toad the same Toad that we know and love from Mario Kart in more casual clothes? Curious minds wanna know the answer to actual fanbase Toad questions.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
How do you mean?
Perhaps all Toad supporters are good-natured. I have yet to meet one I do not like!
Overall we're fairly laid back, don't tend to insult others(although I'll admit a few Geno fanatics have pushed us pretty close).

But the more people that begin to show love to the shrooms now, the better. We want to try and curb the inexplicable dislike of Toad in time for the next Smash(on the safe side as DLC is far from guaranteed). With Treasure Tracker arriving, hopefully he'll* gather many more fans in time for Smash 5.

*or she, it, schlee, xe or whatever special snowflake tumblr pronouns you want to use. It's he though.

Incidentally, what would everyone like to see in the OP? I feel like we need an overhaul fairly soon.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am not even necessarily a fan of vanilla Toad, but the combination of Captain Toad's awesomeness and hopeful but not mindless supporters have pushed me into being a huge supporter for Captain Toad.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Incidentally, what would everyone like to see in the OP? I feel like we need an overhaul fairly soon.

Just a minor change, you can remove R.O.B. from the support list since that's my old name before the name change. Like how Habanero became "Xenoblaze" and currently "Soul Blazer" in the past.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At first I thought this, but then the moment Toadette gets mentioned as not being created with a gender in mind, all logic flies out the window and I have to call bull****.

• She's pink; traditionally the colour most female counterparts are given. These days pink is used more for male characters too, but the general rule is if it's pink, it's female.

• She's been designed to appear female; mushroom pigtails, a dress under her vest, higher pitch voice, etc.

• She's clearly created as a female counterpart to Toad; her name is even Toadette. Ette being the feminine addition; example Smurfette to Smurfs.

This probably wouldn't irk me so much if there were people genuinely confused over the gender of the Toads prior to this announcement like people weren't sure on Tweety Pie or Jerry of Tom and Jerry's fame's gender, but no one was really asking what gender Captain Toad was due to it being...well, kinda obvious. He's very much masculine.

HOWEVER, that said there are some questions answered that people wanted to know; Toad and Toadette are NOT romantically involved, nor are they siblings, but they are friends.

Also they aren't mushrooms! That's actually a pretty big find. They're not actually anthromorphic mushrooms...which makes how they release spores in Smash, Mario Tennis and Sports Mix somewhat questionable.

Now the only other big questions are; who the bleeding hell is that Blue Toad in 3D World, Where IS Toadsworth, and is Captain Toad the same Toad that we know and love from Mario Kart in more casual clothes? Curious minds wanna know the answer to actual fanbase Toad questions.
err my point was that the didnt say they were genderless to try and reassure everyone who was thinking he had said they had no genders

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Man...I had no idea this thread was revived - but I am so glad it was! :D *really late*

I'm still supporting Captain Toad and if Toadette is there to join along, then so be it!

Many do tend to stick to that one con about Captain Toad not being able to jump due to his backpack- however, I've seen an interesting idea around the net that might just do wonders for the good captain in Smash! The Note Block!

Why not just have Captain Toad tumble about in a hilarious way by bouncing on two Note Blocks that he spawns? It would toadally fit his character, and besides - characters like Ness have unique jump properties - why not Captain Toad? Seriously, Captain Toad is ready to fight dragons and large magpies that kidnap poor defenseless Toads. He isn't gonna let his backpack stop him for Smash! :p

Also alternate costumes open a whole new door for Captain Toad too. Blue Toad, Yellow Toad, and Banktoad all got similar uniforms to Captain Toad in Treasure Tracker, so it wouldn't be farfetched to have them in too as his colourations (with small tidbits like Blue Toad's glasses and perhaps a starbit hanging around Banktoad). Mailtoad would be nice too but there's the chance his colouration might be similar to Toadette. Add Toadette for the rest of Captain Toad's alts (perhaps a Classic Toad and Toadsworth alt too if we're lucky!) and we're good to go! Captain Toad, the Toad Brigade, Toadette, Classic Toad and even Toadsworth all represented!

Also that gender thing about the Toads is silly. :| Captain Toad and Toadette still identify each themselves with one gender, so there shouldn't be any issues about that at all.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Man...I had no idea this thread was revived - but I am so glad it was! :D *really late*

I'm still supporting Captain Toad and if Toadette is there to join along, then so be it!

Many do tend to stick to that one con about Captain Toad not being able to jump due to his backpack- however, I've seen an interesting idea around the net that might just do wonders for the good captain in Smash! The Note Block!

Why not just have Captain Toad tumble about in a hilarious way by bouncing on two Note Blocks that he spawns? It would toadally fit his character, and besides - characters like Ness have unique jump properties - why not Captain Toad? Seriously, Captain Toad is ready to fight dragons and large magpies that kidnap poor defenseless Toads. He isn't gonna let his backpack stop him for Smash! :p

Also alternate costumes open a whole new door for Captain Toad too. Blue Toad, Yellow Toad, and Banktoad all got similar uniforms to Captain Toad in Treasure Tracker, so it wouldn't be farfetched to have them in too as his colourations (with small tidbits like Blue Toad's glasses and perhaps a starbit hanging around Banktoad). Mailtoad would be nice too but there's the chance his colouration might be similar to Toadette. Add Toadette for the rest of Captain Toad's alts (perhaps a Classic Toad and Toadsworth alt too if we're lucky!) and we're good to go! Captain Toad, the Toad Brigade, Toadette, Classic Toad and even Toadsworth all represented!

Also that gender thing about the Toads is silly. :| Captain Toad and Toadette still identify each themselves with one gender, so there shouldn't be any issues about that at all.
You mean with actual PLAYABLE models of them, right? Like Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Do you guys think, if Captain Toad is playable, should he use items and powerups exclusive to Treasure Tracker, or have a more varied set of moves from other Mario games?

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
@ smashkirby smashkirby

Yes, that's correct. Considering that the Captain is his own distinguished character, giving him blue/yellow/green spots wouldn't be the best move imo. Why do that why we have the other members of the Toad Brigade raring to go? They sport similar outfits to the Captain, so they wouldn't be as complex to make.

Plus, I don't see it farfetched to give them the headlamp either considering that Toadette is able to wear it too. I'm definitely seeing the Toad Brigade and Toadette become alternate costumes akin to the Koopalings and Villager.

Do you guys think, if Captain Toad is playable, should he use items and powerups exclusive to Treasure Tracker, or have a more varied set of moves from other Mario games?
I really would like to see some Treasure Tracker based moves in representation for Captain Toad. It's something that's finally unique for the Toads and honestly - I loved what I've seen so far from the game.

We need that turnip shooting cannon as one of Captain Toad's moves. O.O

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly? Captain Toad exclusives...but we have a decent amount here to work with:

Pick Axe
Minecart
Turnips/Piranha Sporuts/keys/GIANT TURNIPS
Potted Piranha Plants
Headlamp
A bad ass dragon piggyback ride on Draggadon/Gold Draggadon
Boost panels
POW BLOCKS
Double Cherries
Cannons that shoot turnips
Cannons that shoot Captain Toad(ette) forward

There's other things such as ropes(as we see him dangling from one on a stamp) if you want more variation, but the core Treasure Tracker power ups offer enough to work with without going into the power up costumes.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly? Captain Toad exclusives...but we have a decent amount here to work with:

Pick Axe
Minecart
Potted Piranha Plants
Headlamp
A bad *** dragon piggyback ride on Draggadon/Gold Draggadon
Boost panels
POW BLOCKS
Double Cherries

There's other things such as ropes(as we see him dangling from one on a stamp) if you want more variation, but the core Treasure Tracker power ups offer enough to work with without going into the power up costumes.
I've got some ideas for attacks.

Piranha Plant as a special move that works as a sort of projectile counter that eats projectiles (like Wario's Chomp). However, Toad can then release the stolen projectile as a fireball.
The Pickaxe being part of his standard attacks. Notably, his forward Smash and perhaps dash attack.
Turnips that function like Peach's Turnips but are larger and slower, don't have multiple faces, and can be charged to pull a giant turnip that does highly increased attack power. He also has the chance to pull a diamond out from the ground, which does massive damage (as diamonds can cut anything)

Also, I think what would make Captain Toad interesting is a gimmick where his weight and attack power is determined by the number of items in his backpack. He starts out with a set number of projectiles in his backpack. When he has no items in his backpack, he is very nimble, but also light and weaker. When he has a full backpack of three items, he is slow and heavy, and thusly harder to knock around, as well as being stronger. The Piranha Plant stores the projectiles it steals in the backpack. At max load the Piranha Plant will unleash a devasting fireball that consumes the items at the cost of the weight and power gain.

Toad rulez

Off topic for @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad but Yoshi's probably at top 5 territory because the other top tiers were nerfed hard while Yoshi was only slightly nerfed. Lucky ***** lol

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Pick Axe
Minecart
Potted Piranha Plants
Headlamp
A bad *** dragon piggyback ride on Draggadon/Gold Draggadon
Boost panels
POW BLOCKS
Double Cherries

You also forgot Game Pad based abilities like telekinesis (touch the screen to move blocks) and super breath (blow into the microphone). :awesome:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Was that good, did I have a smart idea? Sometimes I do those. Hard tho. I've really enjoyed making movesets, I could make one for Captain Toad if needed.
I find it rather interesting that the weight gimmick is one that several people came up with(myself, Berserker, you, Arcadenik, several others I've forgotten) but we poo-pooed the idea of a stat changing moveset as it was too extreme and didn't seem feasible...

...and then Shulk happened, with his stat altering move. Hell, even Palutena ended up having one custom that changed her weight! WELL DANG SON.

I do quite like the idea of the Potted Pirahna Plant counter projectile move though; a bit like a more visually pleasing(IMO) Game and Watch Bucket. Works well since we've seen these things chew through all sorts. I genuinely like it, and part of me really does hope when Captain Toad eventually gets in(he's gotta be in the top 5 most likely for Smash 5 right now, with 3D World AND Captain Toad, right?) he'll be able to unleash the potted plant of death on his enemies.

I need to at some point post an updated moveset or two in the OP. Anyone else want to take a crack at it? Maybe I'll even illustrate the best one!

Yoshi's probably at top 5 territory
As a Yoshi player since the 64 era, this STILL weirds me out to see. But I can't stop grinning either.

You also forgot Game Pad based abilities like telekinesis (touch the screen to move blocks) and super breath (blow into the microphone). :awesome:
If Fourth wall breaking is good enough for Duck Hunt (Duo), it's good enough for the Captain too.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
I understand why people want Toad for a smash game..... But if he does I will forfeit every match that has him. Not kidding, I can't stand HIS F******* VOICE!!! I'm not the first, Vinny hates him for the same reason. His average voice is loud and impossible to get use to.

The only time I could bother to listen is in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, were it was scratchy but tolerable unlike now. Since Toad has his normal voice in Super Mario Advance, I can't play 5 minutes without getting angry/annoyed. Toadsworth on the other hand..... is not bad.

So in all Toad would be the last character I want in, and plus Vinny would give up on Nintendo too.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm coming up with a moveset but this is all I got so far
Normal attacks:

A – Pick axe swing left

A + A – Pick axe swing left

A + A + A – Pick axe swing downwards

A + Hold – Rapid axe swings downwards

Dash Attack – He’ll move forward attacking with the super axe

Forward Tilt – He’ll swing his super axe forwards

Down Tilt – He’ll swing his super axe towards the screen causing a small shockwave at both sides

Up Tilt – He’ll swing the super axe upwards

Forward Smash – He’ll clone himself using the double cherry and throw him forwards

Down Smash – He’ll create 2 clones with the double cherry and they’ll smash downwards with the super axe at both sides

Up Smash – He’ll clone himself using the double cherry and throw him upwards

Neutral Air – He’ll spin around with his pick axe

Forward Air – He’ll flip forwards with his pick axe

Back Air – He’ll spin around hitting backwards with his super axe

Down Air –He’ll throw a turnip downwards

Up Air – He’ll throw a turnip straight upwards

Grabs and Throws:

Grab – Rope Swing

Pummel – Headbutt

Forward Throw – He’ll pull a turnip from the ground and throw it at them, launching them forwards

Back Throw – He’ll swing them around with his rope like a lasso before launching them backwards

Up Throw –

Down Throw – He’ll throw them to the ground and then jump on them in classic Mario fashion

Specials Attacks:

Neutral Special – Turnip cannon, He’ll pull out the turnip cannon and shoot a turnip out of it, It can be angled
Neutral Special 2 –
Neutral Special 3 –

Side Special – Potted Piranha plant, He’ll pull out the potted plant, it’ll eat incoming projectiles and anyone in front of it
Side Special 2 –
Side Special 3 -

Up Special – Ladder Climb, He’ll spawn a latter and climb up it
Up Special 2 –
Up Special 3 –

Down Special – Drop Backpack, He’ll drop his backpack, changing his stats along with it. It will be left on the stage and can be thrown at opponents, opponents can also pick it up, but due to it’s heaviness it will slow them down and they can’t throw as far. If the backpack is thown off the stage it can be respawned using down b again
Down Special 2 –
Down Special 3 –

Final Smash – Draggadon, He’ll call the dragon and ride on his back, from the top of the screen he’ll fire blasts of fire downwards

Extras:

Stance – His stance from Treasure Tracker

Idle Animation – He’ll adjust his headlamp

Taunt 1 – He’ll run in a circle and jump while posing like toad’s victory animation in 3D World

Taunt 2 – He’ll pull out a diamond and admire it

Taunt 3 – He’ll attempt to pull a turnip from the ground and fall

Victory Pose 1 – His victory animation from 3D World and Treasure Tracker

Victory Pose 2 – He’ll ride in on a mine cart filled with coins and begin throwing them around

Victory Pose 3 – He’ll whistle causing the mole from treasure tracker to appear, they’ll then both celebrate

Entrance Animation – He’ll ride onto the stage in a minecart followed by him jumping out and waving

Alternate Colours:

1) Captain Toad

2) Blue Toad

3) Yellow Toad

4) Toadsworth

5) Captain Toadette

6) Purple Toadette

7) Orange Toadette

8) Green Toadette

Stats: (Assuming Mario is 5 in everything)

Height: 4 - Slightly shorter than mario

Weight: 7 with Backpack, 3 without

Strength: 8 with backpack, 4 without

Speed: 3 with Backpack, 8 without

Jump: 3 with backpack, 6 without

General Overview:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I understand why people want Toad for a smash game..... But if he does I will forfeit every match that has him. Not kidding, I can't stand HIS F******* VOICE!!! I'm not the first, Vinny hates him for the same reason. His average voice is loud and impossible to get use to.

The only time I could bother to listen is in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, were it was scratchy but tolerable unlike now. Since Toad has his normal voice in Super Mario Advance, I can't play 5 minutes without getting angry/annoyed. Toadsworth on the other hand..... is not bad.

So in all Toad would be the last character I want in, and plus Vinny would give up on Nintendo too.
Who the heck is Vinny?

I'm coming up with a moveset but this is all I got so far
Normal attacks:

A – Pick axe swing left

A + A – Pick axe swing left

A + A + A – Pick axe swing downwards

A + Hold – Rapid axe swings downwards

Dash Attack – He’ll move forward attacking with the super axe

Forward Tilt – He’ll swing his super axe forwards

Down Tilt – He’ll swing his super axe towards the screen causing a small shockwave at both sides

Up Tilt – He’ll swing the super axe upwards

Forward Smash – He’ll clone himself using the double cherry and throw him forwards

Down Smash – He’ll create 2 clones with the double cherry and they’ll smash downwards with the super axe at both sides

Up Smash – He’ll clone himself using the double cherry and throw him upwards

Neutral Air – He’ll spin around with his pick axe

Forward Air – He’ll flip forwards with his pick axe

Back Air – He’ll spin around hitting backwards with his super axe

Down Air –He’ll throw a turnip downwards

Up Air – He’ll throw a turnip straight upwards

Grabs and Throws:

Grab – Rope Swing

Pummel – Headbutt

Forward Throw – He’ll pull a turnip from the ground and throw it at them, launching them forwards

Back Throw – He’ll swing them around with his rope like a lasso before launching them backwards

Up Throw –

Down Throw – He’ll throw them to the ground and then jump on them in classic Mario fashion

Specials Attacks:

Neutral Special – Turnip cannon, He’ll pull out the turnip cannon and shoot a turnip out of it, It can be angled
Neutral Special 2 –
Neutral Special 3 –

Side Special – Potted Piranha plant, He’ll pull out the potted plant, it’ll eat incoming projectiles and anyone in front of it
Side Special 2 –
Side Special 3 -

Up Special – Ladder Climb, He’ll spawn a latter and climb up it
Up Special 2 –
Up Special 3 –

Down Special – Drop Backpack, He’ll drop his backpack, changing his stats along with it. It will be left on the stage and can be thrown at opponents, opponents can also pick it up, but due to it’s heaviness it will slow them down and they can’t throw as far. If the backpack is thown off the stage it can be respawned using down b again
Down Special 2 –
Down Special 3 –

Final Smash – Draggadon, He’ll call the dragon and ride on his back, from the top of the screen he’ll fire blasts of fire downwards

Extras:

Stance – His stance from Treasure Tracker

Idle Animation – He’ll adjust his headlamp

Taunt 1 – He’ll run in a circle and jump while posing like toad’s victory animation in 3D World

Taunt 2 – He’ll pull out a diamond and admire it

Taunt 3 – He’ll attempt to pull a turnip from the ground and fall

Victory Pose 1 – His victory animation from 3D World and Treasure Tracker

Victory Pose 2 – He’ll ride in on a mine cart filled with coins and begin throwing them around

Victory Pose 3 – He’ll whistle causing the mole from treasure tracker to appear, they’ll then both celebrate

Entrance Animation – He’ll ride onto the stage in a minecart followed by him jumping out and waving

Alternate Colours:

1) Captain Toad

2) Blue Toad

3) Yellow Toad

4) Toadsworth

5) Captain Toadette

6) Purple Toadette

7) Orange Toadette

8) Green Toadette

Stats: (Assuming Mario is 5 in everything)

Height: 4 - Slightly shorter than mario

Weight: 7 with Backpack, 3 without

Strength: 8 with backpack, 4 without

Speed: 3 with Backpack, 8 without

Jump: 3 with backpack, 6 without

General Overview:

Thoughts?
I like it! It incorporates a lot of Captain Toad source material with the weight altering gimmick rather well. I'd maybe lower Jump to: 1 with backpack, 4 without though as Toads have never been able to outjump Mario.

I like the increase in attack power too with it on though, that's a nice addition, and that even the poses have had some good thought put into them.

Wrecking face atop Draggadon is that extra little bit of awesome that some Final Smash's lack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom