• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I can't wait for those games, but I'm more excited for this one!!

Oh my god :laugh:

OMG Captain Toad is a new Pokemon in the new Pokemon games!!!

And he has a Primal Reversion too!!!
Thanks for all the support and motivation for those joining! :D We'll all be doing our best to hope and see our captain make it to Smash Bros. as a playable character!

Also Hyrule Warriors, eh? Now that would be beyond epic to see Captain Toad there! xD

May as well call the game "Toad Warriors" :p

These are the absolute best. Keep them up!

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Looks like the 3DS version will a have a bigger variety of characters...

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I can't wait for those games, but I'm more excited for this one!!

Haha, this is the best! xD I'm gonna assume Blue Toad and Yellow Toad are the super hidden unlockable characters in this game. :p Watch out, Toad tier coming way!

Toad and the Rainbow Curse

Captain Toad Party 10

Captain Toad Awakening

Last edited:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Haha, this is the best! xD I'm gonna assume Blue Toad and Yellow Toad are the super hidden unlockable characters in this game. :p Watch out, Toad tier coming way!

Toad and the Rainbow Curse

Captain Toad Party 10

Captain Toad Awakening
Woah, these are all awesome!!
LOL at ball Toad:laugh:

Having that Bowser Toad chase you though........*shudders*

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Thank you guys! :)

I'm sure Bowser Toad would be having the time of his life. :p Mario already looks horrified!

One more pic !

Funny how the Toad Brigade along with Toadette and Toadsworth work perfectly in this pic. xD

Last edited:
New Captain Toad screens if you haven't seen:
http://www.explosion.com/67294/captain-toad-treasure-tracker-receives-some-new-screenshots/

Also, one of my friends found a Captain Toad "leak" in Smash. I dunno, it seems awfully fake, but I'll put it here anyways:
View attachment 23815
From what he told me, this is the list of Pros and Cons it's got going for it.

Cons:
-Captain's pose looks a lot like one from another screenshot
-Things like weird distortion at the right and the awful lighting aren't good signs
-No shadows for the characters
-Turnips are already a part of Peach's moveset
-Gotten from a Smash fansite

Pros:
-Removed by Nintendo, with the claim saying it was their property
-The turnip looks different from the picture Toad could've been pulled from (however, the turnip could've been pulled from a different image)

As you can see, I'm really thinking this is fake. It seems way too artificial, and the "claim" from Nintendo could've been fake. What do you guys think?
Fake
Honestly, that pose of Captain Toad looks way too similar to this
Ah... I remember that argument when it was used for the renders leak

I still think this picture is fake

Last edited:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Fake

Ah... I remember that argument when it was used for the renders leak

I still think this picture is fake
One thing we most definately know is NOT fake is the new game....Yarn Toadi!

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
YoshiandToad is absolutely legendary with such a look.

Just noticed the other little Captain Toad in that Yarn Toadi pic too. XDD Great job 08skidoosh80

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
YoshiandToad is absolutely legendary with such a look.

Just noticed the other little Captain Toad in that Yarn Toadi pic too. XDD Great job 08skidoosh80
Thanks!

I do think that the lack of ant Captain Toad promotion could be good news or bad news for the captain...

The good outcome would be that Captain Toad gets into a bunch of different games, as we have been posting pictures of, through DLC to promote the new game. The Captain may even use the Amiibo feature to get into these games as we know he's getting one.

The bad outcome is that Nintendo only focuses on other titles to advertise like SSB and other upcoming releases like Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2.

Hopefully we get the good outcome so that Captain Toad has an even higher chance to be playable in Smash Bros!!

Also, it looks like someone's jealous of Captain Toads popularity...

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Lmao at the Goombas. XD

Also I'm sure Nintendo will deliver soon. I mean - Captain Toad is being developed by Nintendo EAD Tokyo and they're definitely not gonna want to have one of their titles fail like that. The game has gotten a lot of praise by the demo players, but we need more hype.

Though I do wonder what's taking so long - I mean we even got Bayonetta 2 news as of today via the direct. Hyrule Warriors, SM4SH, and Pokemon OR/AS have all had plenty of promotion as well so it's now just down to Captain Toad for this year or January 2015.

The captain and Toads in general need more love. I hope Nintendo gives us a great trailer, an explanation of the story and some more levels, and maybe even the Amiibo connectivity.

Last edited:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Lmao at the Goombas. XD

Also I'm sure Nintendo will deliver soon. I mean - Captain Toad is being developed by Nintendo EAD Tokyo and they're definitely not gonna want to have one of their titles fail like that. The game has gotten a lot of praise by the demo players, but we need more hype.

Though I do wonder what's taking so long - I mean we even got Bayonetta 2 news as of today via the direct. Hyrule Warriors, SM4SH, and Pokemon OR/AS have all had plenty of promotion as well so it's now just down to Captain Toad for this year or January 2015.

The captain and Toads in general need more love. I hope Nintendo gives us a great trailer, an explanation of the story and some more levels, and maybe even the Amiibo connectivity.
Yeah, the Amiibo thing still has me asking questions...
I mean have they said that you could use figures from a different game series?
Like SSB4 Mario on Captain Toad as an example.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Yeah, the Amiibo thing still has me asking questions...
I mean have they said that you could use figures from a different game series?
Like SSB4 Mario on Captain Toad as an example.
I think SSB4 characters are primarily for SSB4 and no more. They will have a normal Mario figurine to work with games like Mario Party 10 and Mario Kart 8. Still, I wonder how it will function in games like Yoshi's Woolly World and Captain Toad...

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I do remember a post earlier stating the possibility of Captain Toad venturing in another Nintendoverse themed stages. Like finding rupees in a Zelda level complete with enemies from the original Zelda game. Maybe a DK one and even a Starfox themed stage. It would be cool regardless in my opinion.

Though yeah - Captain Toad: TT is likely going to use Amiibo figurines specifically for the game. This makes me wonder if we will see other characters in the game. Personally, I'd love to see the other Toads like Toadette and the other Toad Brigade members. We could really use more developed Toads.

It's really odd how quiet Nintendo has been with this game really as you all mentioned...perhaps they're planning something big? I sure hope they don't disappoint us.. this game has got me so curious.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I do remember a post earlier stating the possibility of Captain Toad venturing in another Nintendoverse themed stages. Like finding rupees in a Zelda level complete with enemies from the original Zelda game. Maybe a DK one and even a Starfox themed stage. It would be cool regardless in my opinion.

Though yeah - Captain Toad: TT is likely going to use Amiibo figurines specifically for the game. This makes me wonder if we will see other characters in the game. Personally, I'd love to see the other Toads like Toadette and the other Toad Brigade members. We could really use more developed Toads.

It's really odd how quiet Nintendo has been with this game really as you all mentioned...perhaps they're planning something big? I sure hope they don't disappoint us.. this game has got me so curious.
I don't think Nintendo will drop the ball on this one. This is the newest Mario-related game we've seen in almost decades, remember? I hope we're gonna see some good trailers, some awesome new features, and whatnot.

What worries me though is that we've seen the boxart for he game, and the only Toad they show is Captain Toad. If we had Toadette or someone else as playable characters, wouldn't they be on it too?

Oh well, at least we're getting it!
areyoufeelingitnowcaptaintoad2.PNG

Thanks!

I do think that the lack of ant Captain Toad promotion could be good news or bad news for the captain...

The good outcome would be that Captain Toad gets into a bunch of different games, as we have been posting pictures of, through DLC to promote the new game. The Captain may even use the Amiibo feature to get into these games as we know he's getting one.

The bad outcome is that Nintendo only focuses on other titles to advertise like SSB and other upcoming releases like Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2.
If they don't promote Captain Toad, they're shooting themselves on the foot. Regardless of its small hype compared to games like Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta and Smash Bros, it's still very important to promote it because it's one of the few games that are coming this year (sans Europe. Sorry guys)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If they don't promote Captain Toad, they're shooting themselves on the foot. Regardless of its small hype compared to games like Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta and Smash Bros, it's still very important to promote it because it's one of the few games that are coming this year (sans Europe. Sorry guys)
its not as bad as it used to be

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
because it's one of the few games that are coming this year (sans Europe. Sorry guys)
Sigh. Oh well, compared to the Melee era this wait is small potatoes(9 ****ing months for Melee. 9 LONG ****ing months).

But no, it's true. The lineup at this E3 was hype beyond hype, and Nintendo have enough faith in Treasure Tracker to include it in the initial lineup for amiibos.

Ideally they'll push every single one of the games they've showcased at E3. With that lineup, plus Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, etc they're already close(at least IMO) to matching the amount of high quality games on the Wii.

Last edited:
Sigh. Oh well, compared to the Melee era this wait is small potatoes(9 ****ing months for Melee. 9 LONG ****ing months).

But no, it's true. The lineup at this E3 was hype beyond hype, and Nintendo have enough faith in Treasure Tracker to include it in the initial lineup for amiibos.

Ideally they'll push every single one of the games they've showcased at E3. With that lineup, plus Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, etc they're already close(at least IMO) to matching the amount of high quality games on the Wii.
Pretty much this.

Cheers to hoping for DLC then from now on

And also to hoping that this game gets an overall great reception

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
whoah
i just noticed
with this ninka/vaanrose leak

i lose all 4 of my mains </3

why

dlcpls

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo NEEDS to hype the game soon. It's nearing the holiday season/January, and indeed you're right Berserker.

Captain Toad is one of the few Wii U games being released soon and the Wii U is gonna need every single bit of support in order to revive. Smash always had great sales, but it's no Mario Kart. MK Wii badly outsold Brawl (though then again, MK Wii was bundled as well). NSMB Wii also outsold Brawl, but then again bundles. Smash is definitely the game that's receiving so much information and hype at the moment. The Bayonetta 2 direct yesterday also came in quick. But as for Captain Toad? I sure hope he gets his own direct soon...

I have faith as well in Nintendo EAD. Captain Toad is no minor spin-off made by some obscure development team. This game is being made directly from the same team who makes the mainline Mario games. If they don't hype up this game, I really don't know what to say. It's being praised, yes, but we really need more information. Need to prove those who think it's just a glorified version of the Captain Toad levels from SM3DW. The game has been reported to be much more than that.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
Captain toad, bank toad, mail toad, blue toad and yellow toad (not to be confused with blue and yellow toads in NSMB)
I sorta want them all to have different outfits (his glasses and a lab coat for bank toad, a mailman outfit for mail toad) but blue and yellow would need to be fleshed out...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Captain toad, bank toad, mail toad, blue toad and yellow toad (not to be confused with blue and yellow toads in NSMB)
I was under the impression that the Blue/Yellow Toads in NSMB games are the same Toads of the Toad Brigade in Galaxy games and 3D World.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was under the impression that the Blue/Yellow Toads in NSMB games are the same Toads of the Toad Brigade in Galaxy games and 3D World.
I suppose there's not much to suggest one way or the other, but the blue toad of the brigade wears glasses and the yellow toad is always sleeping just those little things make them seem different

Though from a development point of view it's unlikely there meant to be the same characters and it's just a coincidence they have the same colours

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, in the end credits in 3D World, they showed the Toad Brigade... but Blue Toad wasn't with them... and the playable Blue Toad had no glasses. I guess Blue Toad wears contacts when he's out adventuring.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Give Yellow Toad a pajamas attire complete with one of those caps. xD Bank Toad should be wearing a suit and tie. :p Also YES Arcadenik, Blue Toad's contacts. xD

Also I've got some ideas in regards to Captain Toad recently while playing SM3DW at a friend's place.

Jump issue?

- Perhaps for the Captain's jumps, a Para-Biddybud enemy appears and carries him for his jumps as a result of their ability to fly. Sure, they may be enemies - but it's a throwback to the SM3D series in which they made their debut. It's also a way for Captain Toad to make his jumps if people find it odd for him to jump on his own.

New move -

Potted Piranha Plant. Think of a Banjo-Kazooie situation, but instead it's Captain Toad and one his moves summons a Potted Piranha plant from his backpack. The Piranha plant sticks its head out of the Captain's backpack and will bite any opponents nearby and even grab items for Captain Toad. The plant will withdraw back into the Captain's backpack when attacked or if it's left idol for a while.

Potted Piranha plants also made their debut in SM3DW, but Piranha plants themselves are well known in the Mario series. Why not have Captain Toad represent them too? They appear in his own game too from the screens we've seen. It's also a twist on the character - Captain Toad may appear cute, but you've got a MONSTER in his backpack! xD

Last edited:

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Give Yellow Toad a pajamas attire complete with one of those caps. xD Bank Toad should be wearing a suit and tie. :p Also YES Arcadenik, Blue Toad's contacts. xD

Also I've got some ideas in regards to Captain Toad recently while playing SM3DW at a friend's place.

Jump issue?

- Perhaps for the Captain's jumps, a Para-Biddybud enemy appears and carries him for his jumps as a result of their ability to fly. Sure, they may be enemies - but it's a throwback to the SM3D series in which they made their debut. It's also a way for Captain Toad to make his jumps if people find it odd for him to jump on his own.

New move -

Potted Piranha Plant. Think of a Banjo-Kazooie situation, but instead it's Captain Toad and one his moves summons a Potted Piranha plant from his backpack. The Piranha plant sticks its head out of the Captain's backpack and will bite any opponents nearby and even grab items for Captain Toad. The plant will withdraw back into the Captain's backpack when attacked or if it's left idol for a while.

Potted Piranha plants also made their debut in SM3DW, but Piranha plants themselves are well known in the Mario series. Why not have Captain Toad represent them too? They appear in his own game too from the screens we've seen. It's also a twist on the character - Captain Toad may appear cute, but you've got a MONSTER in his backpack! xD
I'm not sure how well the Biddybug would work, but I'm seriously digging that Piranha Plant move. It's very original and it makes a lot of sense, actually!

If we're talking about 3D World moves, why not explore other things like the Cannon Box? Plessie (x3)? The ice skate (which could function similarly to the minecart, but one or the other I would suppose.) I think Captain Toad would be a great representitive of 3D World because his levels are one of the most notable parts!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'll admit this is something that kind of bothered me about the Wii U at times. I occasionally find myself staring at the pad instead of the TV, even when they have the exact same screen.

Apart from that one minor thing though, he seems to be mostly positive. There's a lot of variety that's been shown off thus far...I just hope the final product can remain as diverse.

In predictable fashion, Nintendo declined to comment as to why exactly we're tracking treasure, opting for a canned "that'll be revealed later."
Alright, this has me intrigued. I wonder what the reason is...

is it to afford enough money to pay Sakurai to let him be in Smash?

I'll admit this is something that kind of bothered me about the Wii U at times. I occasionally find myself staring at the pad instead of the TV, even when they have the exact same screen.

Apart from that one minor thing though, he seems to be mostly positive. There's a lot of variety that's been shown off thus far...I just hope the final product can remain as diverse.

Protypical pattern for Nintendo games these days (For the Wii U at least and NOT Smash bros.)

1) Show a modest trailer of the game
2) Stay quiet about it for a long time and re-use the same demo for every convention or event
3) Suddenly in one day, hype up the game when it nears release
4) Give it a direct
5) Pray for profit

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Well, I am here to throw my support for the second good Captain as DLC. If not DLC, then Smash 5. However, I'm kind of back and forth on this. There is much more magic and a wow factor to me in a character being announced as playable in a new game than being announced as DLC for an existing game. Maybe I'll get over this feeling, but any playable Toad is fine by me.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, I am here to throw my support for the second good Captain as DLC. If not DLC, then Smash 5. However, I'm kind of back and forth on this. There is much more magic and a wow factor to me in a character being announced as playable in a new game than being announced as DLC for an existing game. Maybe I'll get over this feeling, but any playable Toad is fine by me.
Added to the OP. Please enjoy your stay.

Captain Toad announcement:
-removed Bowser Jr. from the rivals list due to him being as good as in.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the positive feedback! Yeah..I threw in that Para-Biddybud idea to help with the silly "Captain Toad can't jump issue". Villager, Captain Falcon and Olimar can't jump at ALL in their games; yet, Toad detractors seem to think Captain Toad isn't viable due to this silly reason. :/ Captain Toad, a warrior who's facing off against DRAGONS is still beaten by a fitness trainer...

Also glad you like the Potted Piranha plant move. ^_^ It does feel natural to the Mario world, and I think Captain Toad could represent it well! I might do some sketches of these move ideas soon. :)

If Captain Toad does become DLC, Sakurai will literally be playing Treasure Tracker with our money for that DLC pack. :troll:

I'd laugh if Captain Toad's catchphrase is "CAPTAIN TOAD PAYS IN!"

Last edited:
Captain Toad tracks into the fight

Wow, that sucked

Sorry. Got infected by all the spoofs with Uncharted

Captain Toad: Toad's Fortune
Captain Toad 2: Among Treasure Trackers
Captain Toad 3: Toad's deception
Captain Toad 4: A Treasure Tracker's End

Off topic but I'm massively hyped for Uncharted 4

Top Bottom