• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Thinking back on discussions about potential Mario newcomers... people used to think that Rosalina would be a Peach clone and Bowser Jr. would be a Bowser clone... but Lumas and gravity-based gameplay mechanics that Mario himself used in Galaxy games helped differentiate Rosalina from Peach and she stands out as the first puppeteer character in Smash... and the paintbrush wouldn't be that interesting since it is basically a sword with a paintbrush model... but the Koopa Clown Car makes Bowser Jr. stand out as the first mech fighter in Smash. That said, I concede defeat. Congratulations to Rosalina and Bowser Jr. supporters!

So what does Toad has that can make him stand out from the crowd? Everything Toad can do, Mario and Luigi already can do... and Toad is not needed if Dr. Mario is back. Toad needs to have something unique to him and only him. As much as I'm ecstatic with Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, it does little to differentiate Toad from the Mario Bros. and even Peach... yes, Toad can pick up vegetables but Peach already has dibs on the move. The pickaxe, as awesome as it is, is not that unique if it functions like the hammer from Donkey Kong... and what if Sakurai decides to make the pickaxe an item in SSB5?

What I'm about to suggest might be too drastic for Toad... but hear me out... have you noticed how Toad somehow makes blocks move in his own game? I'm talking about the Game Pad where you touch the screen to make blocks move... well, what if Toad in Smash can make blocks appear out of nowhere to trap opponents, block incoming projectiles, or prevent opponents from grabbing the ledges? You know... like Dr. Wright Assist Trophy. Maybe that could help Toad stand out from the sea of Mario candidates for SSB5 (IMO, his main competition is Paper Mario now).
Response to first paragraph: Screw them.
Response to second paragraph: I can see by your avatar that you like Duck Hunt Dog, and therefore you have convinced yourself the leak is real and Dr. Mario is back, as well as Jr a new character. Toad can do lots of stuff that M&L can't, BTW. IMO, his biggest gimmick should be his massive mushroom head.
Response to third paragraph: That idea is out of the question. Also, eh hem...

Last edited by a moderator:

PiChuChu

Smash Cadet
Let's extinguish this flame before it becomes a wildfire please.

To each their own, let's say.

Christ. You had to make it size 7 bold

Can a mod please edit that post. The flames will rise :p

Edit: There are more formal or elegant ways on how to do such things

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Sakurai in Smash 5:

Making his debut in Smash 5, Toad enters the battlefield! This character is older than half the cast here on Smash Bros.!

Fyi he's an assist trophy. :)

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
If we are to get a 6th Mario character in the roster, please let it be Captain Toad (as DLC though). We don't need Bowser Jr. and we DEFINITELY don't need the abomination that is Dr. Mario. I thought Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was a pleasant surprise at E3 this year. Please add me to that supporter list!

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Sorry guys, but seriously, either Paper or Dr will be an abomination.

Oh yeah, and that ^ reminds me, can you add me to the supporter list if I'm not on it already?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Please add me to that supporter list!
Oh yeah, and that ^ reminds me, can you add me to the supporter list if I'm not on it already?
You have both been added to the supporters list.

We currently have 76 supporters. Not bad since this thread was low on support until E3 rolled around!

Whilst I have the utmost respect for Paper Mario(The Thousand Year Door is one of my absolute favourite games) I do still feel like we don't require a second Mario. Would still prefer Paper to Doctor, but Captain Toad still trumps both in my (bias) opinion.

LEMMY CONFIRMED :smash: :roll:

But goodness! We seriously now need Captain Toad for SSB5. We shall then have all of the major Mario-gang...
Not sure if DLC is gonna be a thing though...

Maybe it will if Smash 4 becomes a hit (As in, WAY above expectations)

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
This may sound childish... but 'm gong to take great pleasure in beating the everliving daylights out of Rosalina and Bowser Jr. I want this to be fake but my gut is telling me to stop denying.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Please be fake. Please be fake. Please be fake.

Oh who am I kidding? This looks real and it probably is.

Nintendo, I am disappoint. If Captain/Toad doesn't make his way in...that would make a lot of sense actually...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well there we go.

Pity, but at least there's less competition next time?

(unless DLC, but don't hold your breath).
At least Toad will still get an amiibo figurine for his own game...

Yeah, there's less competition next time... but it will be more tighter... haven't you already seen the newcomers so far... they are very unique compared to the Brawl newcomers... Nintendo really needs to make Toad stand out in Sakurai's eyes somehow so he would start considering Toad for SSB5... I don't know if Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker will help differentiate Toad from Mario, Luigi, and Peach but we will figure this out once we play Toad's own game.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
The leak can't be real because Ganondorf appears to not have been buffed from his Brawl state, which is impossible. As a matter of fact, this whole thing is probably a Brawl hack.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Maybe, but that
The leak can't be real because Ganondorf appears to not have been buffed from his Brawl state, which is impossible. As a matter of fact, this whole thing is probably a Brawl hack.
Maybe, but that is the Smash 3DS Battlefield. I'm gonna hope this is fake with all I can, but not like it'll do anything.

By the way, I notice that we have moved to Episode 3.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Ugh...I hope the fanbase doesn't start ranting about the series now having too many Mario newcomers. -.- They already seem to have started, but truly Toad is what we really want after all these years.

Captain Toad honestly deserves it now - seriously..Rosalina and Jr. have now gotten in over Toad. Sakurai must really not like Toad. ;(

Maybe the final boss of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is Sakurai.... Beat the game and voila - Toad conf1rmed for Smash 5/6/whatever it's called!1

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ugh...I hope the fanbase doesn't start ranting about the series now having too many Mario newcomers. -.- They already seem to have started, but truly Toad is what we really want after all these years.

Captain Toad honestly deserves it now - seriously..Rosalina and Jr. have now gotten in over Toad. Sakurai must really not like Toad. ;(

Maybe the final boss of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is Sakurai.... Beat the game and voila - Toad conf1rmed for Smash 5/6/whatever it's called!1
I am beginning to ever so slightly take this personally now. C'mon Sakurai, if the rumours are true literally everyone who is everyone from Mario but Toad(and his species) is now playable in some form or another;

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Rosalina, Dr. freaking Mario(Playables)
Daisy, The Koopalings(alt outfits)
And Toad is still a lackluster meatshield attack. To think Toad has lost out not only to Rosalina and Bowser Jr, but all seven Koopalings as well...urgh.

WELL THERE IS ALWAYS TOAD HAT MII I GUESS. Totally not the same thing.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Good gravy, you're absolutely correct YoshiandToad!

It hurt to see the SMB2 event from Melee when it said the "Entire cast of SMB2 is here!" yet, Toad wasn't playable at all! What was Sakurai going for with that?

Then Sakurai continued to tease us throughout the last year with all those Peach moveset being refreshed and Toad pics. Ugh..."Main SM3DW cast" PoTD and it featured Toad as Peach's move. Sakurai must absolutely detest Toad. -.-

If there's an Event Mode featuring events with the Mario protagonists of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina..that's gonna be hurtful. Toad really should be there. He's one of the original playable protagonists too! Yet..he got beat out by Rosalina and now Jr + the newly revived Koopalings.

Something's wrong with this picture and I hope more people notice the lack of Toad in the roster. Captain Toad: TT better be a hit.

*Rage of a Toad fan who's been wanting the little guy since Melee*

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
WELL THERE IS ALWAYS TOAD HAT MII I GUESS. Totally not the same thing.
You mean, TOADally, right? AHAHAHAHAHA.

I don't get it! I absolutely don't understand! Toad is one of the most popular video game characters, is an important part of the Mario franchise, has plenty of moveset potential, and even has his own GAME coming out?! WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE IN SMASH?! HEY, HOW ABOUT WE HAVE GOOMBA, KOOPA TROOPA, AND SHY GUY COME IN AS PLAYABLE CHARACTERS, TOO? IT DOESN'T MATTER; RELEVANCE IS IRRELEVANT!

*Breathes*

I understand if you hate Toad. But personal opinion should not be a factor whether this guy gets in or not. The fact is that Toad is more than qualified, more so than any character I can think of that is not playable yet, but he's still given a backseat role.

I can see Captain getting in.

...as an Assist Trophy at most.

Edit: Propeller Toad, your signature makes me sad :c

BUT IT'S SO TRUE X(

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't get it! I absolutely don't understand! Toad is one of the most popular video game characters, is an important part of the Mario franchise, has plenty of moveset potential, and even has his own GAME coming out?! WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE IN SMASH?! HEY, HOW ABOUT WE HAVE GOOMBA, KOOPA TROOPA, AND SHY GUY COME IN AS PLAYABLE CHARACTERS, TOO? IT DOESN'T MATTER; RELEVANCE IS IRRELEVANT!
Yes, he does have plenty of moveset potential... but is it unique compared to fighting with Lumas and using gravity or fighting with a paintbrush and the freaking Koopa Clown Car? Exactly.

Toad does have moveset potential... but unless he is capable of doing something unique that he and only he can do that Mario, Luigi, and Peach don't do in Mario games, he is not getting in.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm not gonna lie.
Bowser Jr. looks too awesome for me to be mad. If he just had a paintbrush I'd be pissed, but he rides in the freaking Clown Car. That is awesome.
It is good for Toad too, less competition in smash 5. His only competitor is Paper Mario, and we now know that 2 mario newcomers in one game is OK.
Not to mention DLC.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I hate the idea of playable Toad, but even I feel bad for you guys after seeing Dr. Mario.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
That's a good point Arcadenik.

Though it saddens me to think that even Dr. Mario is given the welcome letter back over adding Toad. I mean unique or not, Toad really is long overdue for Smash... It's sad how much we Toad fans have to go through to support our little Mushroom Retainer. Generic statements/lack of moveset potential/being boring...ugh, it's ridiculous how Toad is barely given a chance in the Smash community.

Sure, the Mario series does offer many characters from the daring protagonists like Mario and Luigi to the hilarious Wario and adorable Yoshi; however, it's Toad who I came to become a fan of since SMB2 - my favourite Nintendo game from my childhood. Toad is adorable and I loved speedy characters. Captain Toad's character is endearing too as despite his cowardice, he is still determined to reach his goal of treasure hunting. Now that's true bravery in my eyes. I love how Nintendo is emphasizing little things like Captain Toad yawning or shivering in fear in his upcoming game. It's just sweet. Really isn't fair for Toad to get shafted all those years ago though.

At least Toad is a fighter as seen in the various games despite his innocent look. Toad flung Shy Guys in SMB2 and blew up little critters in Wario's Woods. The playable Toads stomped on Koopalings and took down Bowser in the NSMB series. Toad joined Mario, Luigi and Peach in SM3DW and defeated multiple Bowsers. Now we see Captain Toad completely demolishing anyone who comes into his path via that deadly pickaxe. Gosh, Toad is literally a monster compared to the likes of ROB, Captain Falcon, Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and more.

Oh well..Captain, we're still rooting for you as always. :( Keep exploring for us, little shroom. You'll see your well earned day in Smash Bros. some day.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish Nintendo would make a Wario's Woods sequel with a platformer mode and a puzzle (classic and multiplayer) mode... solely for Toad to display his superhuman strength again and to make him look unique in Sakurai's eyes when he sees Toad stacking monsters/blocks and carrying them around. It would be so awesome if Toad fought with one hand while he's balancing an entire stack of monsters with the other hand... he could use the monsters as projectiles and shields.

Let's get on Miiverse, Twitter, and Facebook and ask for a Wario's Woods sequel because we really love Toad. Let's use these two hashtags: #CaptainToad and #WariosWoods

Now that we accomplished one goal which is getting Nintendo to make Toad's own game... our next goal is to get Nintendo to make Toad unique in Sakurai's eyes... Wario's Woods is the one thing that Toad has dibs on... not even Wario can take that away from him since we all know Sakurai won't change veterans' whole movesets (poor Ganondorf... cursed to be a clone forever... I just hope that he's back to his Melee self but with that new Side+B from Brawl).

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I hate the idea of playable Toad, but even I feel bad for you guys after seeing Dr. Mario.
Coming from you Welshy, that actually does mean a lot. Thanks. Sorry about K. Rool too.

I wish Nintendo would make a Wario's Woods sequel with a platformer mode and a puzzle (classic and multiplayer) mode... solely for Toad to display his superhuman strength again and to make him look unique in Sakurai's eyes when he sees Toad stacking monsters/blocks and carrying them around. It would be so awesome if Toad fought with one hand while he's balancing an entire stack of monsters with the other hand... he could use the monsters as projectiles and shields.
I must admit; I'd be down with monster stacking still, despite loving what I've seen of Captain Toad thus far.

As you say; now Nintendo's acknowledged Toad(be it Captain or regular) it'd be great if we could rally support for next Smash.

I also imagine there'd be less resistant to Toad now he's getting his own modern day and unique game from the general Smash community outside the 'Too many Mario characters' argument. Perhaps the rally will be less of an uphill struggle next time.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm afraid I know when I'm licked. Video footage whilst not impossible to fake; is considerably harder. Nintendo moving out on it makes it seem more real somehow too.

I do still wonder what this means for Amiibo cross platform compatibility...particularly between Smash and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, video footage. Hard to fake video footage. Taken down by Nintendo for copyright.

Yup, that just about says everything that needs to be said.
well on policy i dont believe anything that isnt from an official source so i wont be joining in quite yet i still think its quite possible youve all been tricked

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I will also beat up Dr Mario, Rosalina and Junior just for the fun. They'll just be added to the list of my punching bags.

What do you think of Toad DLC ? I'm really starting to feel a taste of despair... Ugh...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm afraid I know when I'm licked. Video footage whilst not impossible to fake; is considerably harder. Nintendo moving out on it makes it seem more real somehow too.

I do still wonder what this means for Amiibo cross platform compatibility...particularly between Smash and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker...
My god... the amiibos... Toad is still getting one whether he's in SSB4 or not. I'm totally getting that one and Duck Hunt Dog... and when my budget allows me, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Villager, and Little Mac at least.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
well on policy i dont believe anything that isnt from an official source so i wont be joining in quite yet i still think its quite possible youve all been tricked
I kind of hope you're right...but I'd love Duck Hunt Dog to be real. I'd be willing to sacrifice nearly any character apart from him though for Captain Toad.

My god... the amiibos... Toad is still getting one whether he's in SSB4 or not. I'm totally getting that one and Duck Hunt Dog... and when my budget allows me, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Villager, and Little Mac at least.
One small comfort is that we'll be getting some snazzy statuettes of the good Captain to ease the agony...or that might make it worse when we see him alongside the Smashers.

What do you think of Toad DLC ? I'm really starting to feel a taste of despair... Ugh...
If we really are getting DLC, I can still see Captain Toad being a possible candidate due to Amiibo compatibility, but that's all he really has going for him now for Smash 4.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
This is why Toad has never gotten in to Smash.

He was considered for Melee, but scrapped in favor of Dr. Mario due to time constraints.

In Brawl, Toad was set to appear because of the results from the 1999 Melee poll and his absence from the game itself, but at the end of development, when fans of WarioWare began pushing him, and to an even greater extent when he was confirmed, Toad fans gave up and admitted his meager chances.

And now, because of some leak that we don't even know is true (though is probably is now that the video has been taken down by Nintendo) you people assume that Jr is in and Toad is not. Just to be clear, I don't know why you all think this, the video DOES NOT prove the original roster leak.

Toad has a chance for getting in because we had 5 Mario chars in Melee, and 4 (unless you count Wario, who is now considered a different series) in Brawl, so really we are due to get 7 this time because their should have been 6 in Brawl. There weren't largely due to non-importance, but now we have some. Jr was no where to be found in 3D world or Mario Kart 8. The only game he sells is NSMBU, which Toad also sells. Toad was present in all three of those games as playable and now has TT. We can't give up, or he will never get in.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
WT!; I don't think any Toad fan will truly give up on Toad in Smash eventually.

However even by your logic(should of been five in Brawl; Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and Doc(he was planned)) we're now at seven with Jr. and Rosalina + Doc. We have footage of Jr. which means he's likely real.

(Incidentally I've never heard about Toad being considered for Brawl; any evidence to show? We could do with some positivity)

We admittedly don't have footage of Doc, and Amiibo promotion may allow Captain Toad a chance, but otherwise it's not looking good for Toad...for THIS Smash.

What I would ask however is if you are a Toad fan with even the slightest interest in Captain Toad to buy his game, buy his Amiibo(I bet it's a neat one anyway; probably with a minecart, diamonds and coins!), and state your passion for the mushroom man.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
There is no footage of Doc like you said. The leaker admitted to adding his own crap, and that is probably part of it.

domokl

Smash Lord
atleast toad is basically the only important chrachter from mario left right? so he has a good chance in smash 5 now. inb4 kamek or something gets in over him next smash. darnit sakurai what do you have againsht toad?:crying:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I really don't trust Sakurai with Toad...ack, despite being a Toad fan myself - but just seeing that lack of Toad in the roster while Rosalina AND Jr. (+the Koopalings) are in it seems very wrong (at the moment). As YoshiandToad said, we basically do have every major character from the canon Mario series except for Toad.

Captain Toad DLC would be nice. Of course, seeing him as a proper newcomer in a new Smash might be nice - but many of us have waited YEARS for Toad's inclusion. Honestly, DLC Captain Toad would be fine to me. Too much Mario representation? Give us Toad and we got perfect Mario representation once and for all. I really do hope Captain Toad sells well. So good that it makes Toad's lack of presence in this Smash to be quite noticeable.

If the Japanese fanbase seems to believe Toad's inclusion as Peach's B move to be his role, I wonder what their take on Captain Toad will be. I hope he becomes popular there too - he certainly seems to be becoming rather popular already.

I'll be sure to fill out more Club Nintendo forms myself. Reason I bought a Wii U? "My interest for a Wii U sky rocketed for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, a game starring my favourite Nintendo character!" Sure, Smash Wii U tempted me - but Captain Toad was the real dealbreaker to me. Can't wait to see the captain's Amiibo too!

Last edited:
Top Bottom