• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shovel Knight ~ Steel Thy Shovel! Amiibo CONFIRMED!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I got to play the PC version today. Have to say, I really like it.

Not really sure about supporting him for Smash, though.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I want soo much to play shovel knight! probably will buy it on pc though. But since i believe that the game debuted in nintendo store, it would'nt be too farfetched.

At least he is on a kinda indie all star smash/like strategy game for the WiiU.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Shovel Knight's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Shovel Knight's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
A Ranger like Link, but also a Resistor.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I never really envisioned Shovel Knight as an armor-based character. (even though he does have armor and could be designed in that way) Shovel Knight would have some Ranger elements, but I envision him as more of a Juggler, as the pogo effect on his d-air Shovel Spike could lead into aerial combos, as could the possibility I mentioned earlier of Dust Knuckles being cancellable on hit into another move. This would highlight the acrobatic nature of the character. He might have a few Zoner characteristics due to his disjointed shovel hitboxes, but wouldn't be able to compete with the likes of Marth in this respect.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
I've been playing Shovel Knight on my 3DS lately, and I'd definitely think he's got the tools to fit Smash(Even if he doesn't have anywhere near a shot for this one). I'd definitely support regardless.
And I'm in agreement with HeavyLobster but SLIGHTLY in favor of Ranger style since a number of his Relics are projectiles. Buuuuut that's just me. :p

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Nintendo should buy the hell out of the Shovel Knight IP and Yatch Club games...YCG have said it themselves, Shovel Knight's a Nintendo game. His shoveling attacks would be enough for the standard A attacks, and you could easily grab all of the relics to make a ton of B moves and Smashes.

Neutral Jab: Shovel Swings, repeated.
F-Tilt: Shovel Stab.
D-Tilt: Dig Slash
U-tilt: Shield Push (Shield Knight appears and pushes upwards with her shield)
F-Smash: Shovel Charge (As a special trait, he can move while charging this Smash attack, but very slowly)
Standard B: Flare Wand (A single fire projectile that travels straight at medium speed)
Side B: ???
Up B: Propeller Dagger (He pulls it out and gives you a few frames to decide the direction it'll go, kinda like Lucario's UpB, but with a tornado/slashing hitbox)
Down B: War Horn (Shovel Knight pulls out the War Horn and releases a high-damage shockwave with diagonal knockback, this attack has both a ton of starting and ending lag, the shockwave's a little taller and wider than a Battlefield platform)
Final Smash: ???
I don't know what his Side B or Final Smash would be...maybe Butt Mode?

Dark Emperor Hardin

Smash Cadet
Maybe for his final smash he could summon one of the Order of No Quarter (Perhaps one of those who were declared as playable bosses) and the knight would preform their usual attack pattern (throw potions for Plague Knight, confetti falling and jumping for King Knight, and summoning zombies and the scythe projectiles for Spectre Knight.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm positive Shovel Knight won't be playable, but I think Shovel Knight might warrant a really cool trophy. He certainly isn't up to Rayman's standards, but who knows?

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Shovel Knight has alt colors going for him already.

His gold armor gives him sick jumps.

His magic items allow him recovery and a unique moveset (fishing rod would work like Villager's bowling ball)

The only thing really holding him back is that he's not a first party character. Look at what happened to Wonder Red, Rayman, Dillion, etc.

I'd love for him to be in, and Villager has already shown us what a shovel can do.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Shovel Knight needs to be in this game, as he's the only one who can save us from the final member of The Order of No Quarter, :metaknight:.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Out of sheer boredom, I decided to do a moveset for Shovel Knight. Keep in my mind damage %s aren't my specialty, so bear with me. Oh, and a number of these normals were um...improvised.

Normals
Jab: Does two scoops with the Shovel Blade followed by a slash similar to his charge attack via Charge Handle. First and second hits do 3%, with the last hit doing 6% and doing decent knockback.
Dash Attack: An upwards attack with Shovel Knight's shovel. Sends them up in the air for juggling. 13% damage.
Ledge Attack: Thrusts his shovel forward as he gets up. 6%
Floor Attack: Swings his shovel towards enemies on both sides while getting up. 7%
Tilts
FTilt: Pokes forward with his Shovel Blade. Decent range and cooldown. Can also reflect projectiles if timed correctly. 7% at blade, 4% at hilt.
UTilt: Raises his Shovel Blade in the air as if doing his victory pose. Works as a decent anti-air. 12%
DTilt: Digs his Shovel Blade into the ground and flings it in the air. If he gets an opponent, the first hit buries them, setting up for the second hit. Combo starter if it hits, but otherwise unsafe on block. 8% first hit, 14% first hit, totaling to 22%.
Smashes
FSmash: Does a short hop in the air and lunges with an overhead shovel attack. If he hits with the middle of the blade or otherwise, it just does damage and weak knockback. But the real danger is if it's spaced properly. If he hits with the shovel part, the opponent is hit so hard the screen shakes at Bowser levels and goes into Dizzy state(Like Mewtwo's Disable) for about 1.5 seconds, allowing just enough time to followup. Despite this, it rivals the likes of King DDD, Ike, and Snake in startup and cooldown. 14-17% at base or middle and 24-32% with dizzy if the shovel blade hits.
USmash: Hops in the air as the horns on his helmet grow to large proportions, hitting anyone unfortunate enough to be above him. His best KOing tool. 20-31%
DSmash: Digs up the earth in front of himself before tossing it behind himself. Anyone in front of Shovel Knight gets buried.If in the air directily in front or slightly underneath SK, it results in a meteor Smash. Anyone behind SK gets a faceful of dirt and minor damage. 11-20% with shovel, 1% per hit with dirt.
Aerials
NAir: Swings shovel in front of himself, much like his Charge Handle attack. 8% damage.
FAir: Scoops with his shovel in front of himself. Does about 12% damage.
Bair: Scoops behind himself like with FAir, but with more startup in favor of higher knockback. 18% damage.
UAir: Flip kicks above himself. Low range due to Shovel Knight's short legs, but good for juggling. 9% damage.
DAir: Like in Shovel Knight, SK thrusts sword downwards. If he hits something(A player, their shield, etc), Shovel Knight will bounce off of it. Like Link, his bounce height decreases the longer he's in the air, but usually only getting a maximum of 2 bounces. It also lacks TL's downward momentum. First hit does about 19%; bouncing does 7% and weakens with each further bounce.
Throws
Grab: Throws his fishing rod and reels the opponent in. Like other tethers has range but long recovery if whiffed. Unlike most tether owners, this cannot be used in the air.
Pummel: Hits with hilt of Shovel Blade. 3% damage.
FThrow: Rams with his hat-er, helmet. Fast throw with decent but not KO-worthy knockback. 11% damage.
Bthrow: Scoops opponent with shovel and, like dirt, flings them away. Can KO at high %s. 15% damage.
UThrow: Thrusts opponent into the air by the tip of his shovel. 6% damage.
DThrow: Digs a hole to bury opponent. Bury state for this move is the shortest of his bury moves. 4% damage.
Specials
Neutral Special - Drop Spark: Scoops the ground as a small shockwave emerges and travels across thr ground until it either hits a solid object(An opponent, a player's shield, certain items, etc) or reaches an edge and disappears. Unlike in Shovel Knight, this can be used in the air, but trades speed for power and the ability to even travel past ledges, though it is also somewhat affected by gravity. Grounded version does 4% and aerial version does 7%.
Side Special - Dust Knuckles: Pulls out a pair of rather large gauntlets and punches with them. If he hits something, he moves forward abit, be it an opponent, their shield, destructible terrain, etc. CAN be used to recover, but only if he hits something. 8% damage.
Up Special - Propeller Blade: Pulls out a rather unique dagger and moves in direction chosen by input. If he hits an opponent, he bounces back and fall, but can do the move again. Does 5% damage.
Down Special - War Horn: Pulls out a horn that when SK uses, creates a shockwave with range, damage, and power depending on how long it's charged. Uncharged does 8% damage and weak knockback and short range. Half charged does 15% with decent knockback and range. 3/4 charged does 24% with above average knockback and range. Fully charged War Horn does 31%, has enough range to hit every Battlefield platform from dead center stage and enough knockback to KO as early as around 85%.
Final Smash - Catch Her!: SK falls asleep and,the background turns white as Shield Knight falls from the sky, as in the bonus game. As she appears, the match slows down enough for SK to, well, catch her. If he misses, nothing happens. However, if he succeeds, the screen will flash white before going back to normal, hitting everyone and everything on screen and sending foes with one-hit-KO knockback and a whopping 71%.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Shovel Knight has no chance, simply because I don't think he was even a possibility when development started. He might have potential in Smash 5, or as DLC, though. Simply because I can think of no better character to represent Nintendo's indie scene. Just as we got Miis and the Wii Fit Trainer, that's another part of the Nintendo inclusive view.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Shovel Knight has no chance, simply because I don't think he was even a possibility when development started. He might have potential in Smash 5, or as DLC, though. Simply because I can think of no better character to represent Nintendo's indie scene. Just as we got Miis and the Wii Fit Trainer, that's another part of the Nintendo inclusive view.
Thats a good point. Development started in 2012 but there was no deal at the time that it would even reach the 3DS goal.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
He's in pretty much the same boat as Inkling, but with much longer odds since he isn't first party. Still, the prospect of getting the ridiculous amount of exposure that comes with being in Smash would be a massive draw for talented indies.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
I love the idea of Shovel Knight being in there since he's an awesome indie character, but if an indie character were to get into Smash, I think that Quote from Cave Story would have a higher chance.

Chase

Smash Ace
SUPPORT SUPPORT SO MUCH SUPPORT

I adore Shovel Knight as a game and as a character. He's just a great thing for Smash Bros. that seems like he would be the best Indie Rep (though Armillo is a close second).

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
After completing Shovel Knight this week, I'd love if he was in Smash! He suits it well imo and he has a lot of potential move set wise.

Of course, it would probably never happen.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not so sure about his prospects for Smash 4.....but I do think it would be really cool to have a 3rd party indie rep in smash some day.

If Indies are so important to Nintendo now, it shouldn't be much of an ask going forward.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
If there is one Character I really want as DLC, it's Shovel Knight.
The little guy literally stole my heart and his moveset can be rather unique, working in his shovel Pogo technique and his relics/armor traits.

Stuff I came up with for B-moves:

B: Dig up that dirt!

Shovel Knights neutral let's him perform what he does best: Digging!
Digging allows shovel knight to hurl 3 small rocks/gravel/dirt pieces in an arc, each one flying a bit farther than the last one.
Minimal damage, but spammable. No knockback

Side B: Propeller Dagger

One of Shovel Knight's best relics is his Side Special move. Using the dagger, SK launches himself horizontally for a bit.
He will come to halt of he strikes an enemy/wall/anything with a collision box, so be careful. Unlike the games, he won't be able to spam this move in mid-air for balance purposes. 1 use per air-time only.

Up B: Flare Wand Launch

Naturally, your beshoveled friend needs a way to launch himself upwards, although nothing in his in-game repertoir allows him to do so. However, his Flarewand, if shot downwards/diagonally down can give SK a nice jolt upwards as well as shooting a fireball downwards.

Down B: Shovel Pogo

The bread and butter in my imaginary Shovel Knight Moveset!
Shovel Pogo is the defining move in the game so naturally it should be in smash, too.
When performed on the ground, SK leaps into the air only to come crashing down SHovel first onto his opponents! If performed in mid air, he'll fall down immediately.
Sounds pretty standard so far, but upon hitting an enemy, SK will bounce off, still in his downthrusting pose, ready to Strike The Earth again!

If the player actually manages to land 2 Shovel Pogos in a row, SK's Dynamo mail will kick in, allowing him to unleash a fully charged Smash attack WITHOUT CHARGING IT!

his uncharged smash attacks lack a bit in power, though.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I would love if this happened. Also if it cemented Shovel Knight 2 as a Nintendo exclusive with playable sheild knight and a physical release with both games.

Perchance to dream.

T the Mewtwo fan

Smash Rookie
Here it is! I want Shovel Knight in smash dlc, So Shovel Knight can use his shovel to smash up the battlefields as for moveset i would call him a "Link" in terms of similarities. And I can see him very easily getting into smash, so I would very much like to see Shovel Knight dlc -T

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Thanks for the new art Artsy Omni:

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Plague Knight confirmed as playable DLC

For Shovel Knight, not Smash, still Cool. Looks awesome

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Shovel Knight Moveset 1.0:

Stats:

Size: Around the same height and size of Mega Man.

Weight: Slightly heavier than R.O.B.

Speed: Slightly faster than Robin.

Visual:

Entrance: Shovel Knight flip jumps and lands with his shovel in the air, with random entrance text like "Steel thy Shovel" or "For Shovelry!"

Jump: Normal Shovel Knight jump.

Double Jump: Golden Shovel Knight flip.

Crouch: Barely a crouch like in the game, you can use it to do a little dance.

Up Taunt: Shovel knight holds shovel in the air and shakes it with gumption.

Side Taunt: Shovel Knight rummages through a chest and holds up a big red jewel.

Down Taunt: Tries to use the Phase Locket, but it broke! That OP thing doesn't belong in Smash!

Fanfare: Shovel Knight - Main Theme (0:31-0:38)

Victory 1: Shovel Knight sits on a Log by a Campfire.

Victory 2: Shovel Knight salutes the screen and rides off on a Mobile Gear.

Victory 3: Shovel Knight does his classic crouch dance. (Totally motionless with a slight bend with his knees).

Normal Attacks:

Jab: Shovel Knight does his classic shovel swing. He has no combo, but this does a a fair amount of damage and knockback.

Forward Tilt: Shovel Knight punches forward with the Dust Knuckles, if it makes contact Shovel Knight will lung forward and punch again.

Up Tilt: Shovel Knight swings his head upwards attacking with his horns.

Down Tilt: Shovel Knight throws an Alchemy Coin that deals minor damage but travels extremely far.

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Shovel Knight hols his Shovel to the side while charging up, dealing a devastating swing.

Up Smash: Shoval Knight throws an Anchor overhead, the longer you charge it the farther it goes.

Down Smash: Shovel Knight takes out the War Horn, he charges it and then he blows creating a shock wave around him. The longer you charge it, the bigger the shockwave it. It deals minimal knockback, but it has a very powerful Windbox.

Air Attacks:

Neutral Air: Shovel Knight does exactly the same thing as his Jab, only in mid-air.

Side Air: Shovel Knight uses the Propellar Daggar. This is his main form of recovery.

Up Air: Shovel Knight thrusts his Shovel upwards.

Down Air: Oh baby. His Down Air is his signature Shovel Bounce. How it works is that it doesn't change your momentum or movement at all, instead it switches you to "Bounce Mode" in which if you hit anything below you, you will bounce again and again and again. However you cannot get out of this mode until you use your Neutral Air or when hitting the ground.

Grab Attacks:

Grab: Shovel Knight uses his free hand to grab the opponent.

Pummel: Shovel Knight hits the opponent with his shovel.

Forward Throw: Shovel Knight tosses the opponent with his shovel forwards.

Back Throw: Shovel Knight scoops the opponent and swings his shovel behind him.

Up Throw: Shovel Knight swings his shovel up high, along with his opponent.

Down Throw: Shovel Knight digs into his opponent. This leaves them in a dug state like Donkey Kong's Headbutt.

Special Moves:

Neutral Special: Dig
Shovel Knight digs into the ground, and flings a ton of jewels forward. These damage the opponent. The bigger the jewel, the bigger the damage.

Side Special: Choas Sphere, Fire Rod, Mobile Gear
How Shovel Knight's side special works is that it is 3 different special moves that are on a rotation.

Chaos Sphere: Creates a green ball that bounces against the ground and walls that goes through and damages enemeis.

Fire Rod: Shoots a ball of fire that damages enemies and does good knockback.

Mobile Gear: Summons a mobile gear that revs up and begins to move forward if a player stands on top of it. It deals damage and jumps off ledges. It breaks when it hits a wall and it cannot be turned around.

Up Special: Fishing Rod
The Fishing Rod when used in the air acts like a Tether recovery. However when used on the ground, the anchor damages enemies. If used by a ledge, the anchor meteor smashes opponents as it falls down to the ground. Perfect against people coming back from the ledge below. However if you wait until the anchor is completely off screen you can actually fish! Wait until the exclamation point and hit the B button again to reel it back in. You will be given a random item if Items are on. If Items are not on, you will get a useless boot or tire.

Down Special: Troupple Chalice
Shovel Knight gulps down a Chalice for 5 seconds. If Shovel Knight drinks all of the chalice he recovers 25%. He can do this twice per life. If he is interrupted while drinking the ichor, he will drop the chalice to the ground and it will break.

Final Smash:

Troupple King Waltz:

Shovel Knight summons the Troupple King to put on a show. As the music plays, troupples start flies around the stage hitting and damaging enemies. Shovel Knight can't do anything, as he is just dancing to the music.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Neat though Artsy Omni's Smashified Shovel Knight is, I really don't think he deserves a slot in Smash Brothers 4, especially over the likes of Ice Climbers, Lucas, Wolf, Takamaru, Snake, and Rayman.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I can't see this ever happening. Shovel Knight is too new, and he's third party.
He's nowhere near the same boat that Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, or even Black Mage or Rayman are in.
The only way I could see this is if Nintendo wants to REALLY show how much they support indie developers.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I think of Shovel Knight was in the game and had an assist trophy to coincide with him, it would be a perfect fit for Plague Knight.

Top Bottom