• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shovel Knight ~ Steel Thy Shovel! Amiibo CONFIRMED!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Shovel Knight:

Digs into Battle!
Who is Shovel Knight?:
Shovel Knight is the main protagonist from the hit indie made game with the same name. It was developed by Yacht Club Games, in which this was their first game as a studio. Shovel Knight was originally a Kickstarted game, who asked for $75,000, but ended up getting $300,000+ in USD! At the Game Awards 2014 hosted by Geoff Keighley, it won the Best Independent Game Award.

Long ago, the lands were untamed, and roamed by legendary adventurers! Of all heroes, none shone brighter than Shovel Knight and Shield Knight. But their travels together ended at the Tower of Fate; when a cursed amulet wrought a terrible magic. Having lost Shield Knight, Shovel Knight went into a life of solitude. Until a vile power; The Enchantress and her Order of No Quarter Emerged, he takes up his shovel to stop them!

Why should Shovel Knight be in Smash?:
Shovel Knight is a relatively well known game when it comes to indie platformers, and a great one at that. He was a console exclusive to the Wii U and 3DS for a considerable amount of time before coming to the Xbox and Playstation systems. Shovel Knight is a perfect representative for the modern day classic, and it fits perfectly well with Nintendo's theme and view.

So what's his moveset potential?:
In the game Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight...well uses his Shovel. It has a few tricks. He can hit enemies with it to hurt them. He can use it to find buried treasure, and you can do a downward thrust to hurt and bounce off of enemies. However he has more moveset potential. Similar to Simon Belmont, Shovel Knight has a slew of sub-weapons. Fire Rods, Rapier Dash, Gauntlets, Fishing Rod, Throwable Anchors, and more! If Pac-Man and Wii Fit Trainer can have really unique movesets, no doubt that Shovel Knight can!

Here is a Moveset idea from me:
Shovel Knight Moveset 1.0:
Stats:

Size: Around the same height and size of Mega Man.

Weight: Slightly heavier than R.O.B.

Speed: Slightly faster than Robin.

Visual:

Entrance: Shovel Knight flip jumps and lands with his shovel in the air, with random entrance text like "Steel thy Shovel" or "For Shovelry!"

Jump: Normal Shovel Knight jump.

Double Jump: Golden Shovel Knight flip.

Crouch: Barely a crouch like in the game, you can use it to do a little dance.

Up Taunt: Shovel knight holds shovel in the air and shakes it with gumption.

Side Taunt: Shovel Knight rummages through a chest and holds up a big red jewel.

Down Taunt: Tries to use the Phase Locket, but it broke! That OP thing doesn't belong in Smash!

Fanfare: Shovel Knight - Main Theme (0:31-0:38)

Victory 1: Shovel Knight sits on a Log by a Campfire.

Victory 2: Shovel Knight salutes the screen and rides off on a Mobile Gear.

Victory 3: Shovel Knight does his classic crouch dance. (Totally motionless with a slight bend with his knees).

Normal Attacks:

Jab: Shovel Knight does his classic shovel swing. He has no combo, but this does a a fair amount of damage and knockback.

Forward Tilt: Shovel Knight punches forward with the Dust Knuckles, if it makes contact Shovel Knight will lung forward and punch again.

Up Tilt: Shovel Knight swings his head upwards attacking with his horns.

Down Tilt: Shovel Knight throws an Alchemy Coin that deals minor damage but travels extremely far.

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Shovel Knight holds his Shovel to the side while charging up, dealing a devastating swing.

Up Smash: Shoval Knight throws an Anchor overhead, the longer you charge it the farther it goes.

Down Smash: Shovel Knight takes out the War Horn, he charges it and then he blows creating a shock wave around him. The longer you charge it, the bigger the shockwave it. It deals minimal knockback, but it has a very powerful Windbox.

Air Attacks:

Neutral Air: Shovel Knight does exactly the same thing as his Jab, only in mid-air.

Side Air: Shovel Knight uses the Propellar Daggar. This is his main form of recovery.

Up Air: Shovel Knight thrusts his Shovel upwards.

Down Air: Oh baby. His Down Air is his signature Shovel Bounce. How it works is that it doesn't change your momentum or movement at all, instead it switches you to "Bounce Mode" in which if you hit anything below you, you will bounce again and again and again. However you cannot get out of this mode until you use your Neutral Air or when hitting the ground.

Grab Attacks:

Grab: Shovel Knight uses his free hand to grab the opponent.

Pummel: Shovel Knight hits the opponent with his shovel.

Forward Throw: Shovel Knight tosses the opponent with his shovel forwards.

Back Throw: Shovel Knight scoops the opponent and swings his shovel behind him.
Up Throw: Shovel Knight swings his shovel up high, along with his opponent.

Down Throw: Shovel Knight digs into his opponent. This leaves them in a dug state like Donkey Kong's Headbutt.

Special Moves:

Neutral Special: Dig
Shovel Knight digs into the ground, and flings a ton of jewels forward. These damage the opponent. The bigger the jewel, the bigger the damage.

Side Special: Choas Sphere, Fire Rod, Mobile Gear
How Shovel Knight's side special works is that it is 3 different special moves that are on a rotation.

Chaos Sphere: Creates a green ball that bounces against the ground and walls that goes through and damages enemeis.

Fire Rod: Shoots a ball of fire that damages enemies and does good knockback.

Mobile Gear: Summons a mobile gear that revs up and begins to move forward if a player stands on top of it. It deals damage and jumps off ledges. It breaks when it hits a wall and it cannot be turned around.

Up Special: Fishing Rod
The Fishing Rod when used in the air acts like a Tether recovery. However when used on the ground, the anchor damages enemies. If used by a ledge, the anchor meteor smashes opponents as it falls down to the ground. Perfect against people coming back from the ledge below. However if you wait until the anchor is completely off screen you can actually fish! Wait until the exclamation point and hit the B button again to reel it back in. You will be given a random item if Items are on. If Items are not on, you will get a useless boot or tire.

Down Special: Troupple Chalice
Shovel Knight gulps down a Chalice for 5 seconds. If Shovel Knight drinks all of the chalice he recovers 25%. He can do this twice per life. If he is interrupted while drinking the ichor, he will drop the chalice to the ground and it will break.

Final Smash:

Troupple King Waltz:

Shovel Knight summons the Troupple King to put on a show. As the music plays, troupples start flies around the stage hitting and damaging enemies. Shovel Knight can't do anything, as he is just dancing to the music.
Character Sheet by @Oracle_Summon:

By Artsy Omni

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
One more day for his game to be released!
His moveset wouldn't be hard to make, he already has several attacks from the game.
His sub-weapons for special attacks.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You could always make a sword Mii for the guy.

I have a friend who desperately wants indie's represented in smash. It's probably not going to happen, ever. This is a game for all-stars, not indies. And if it did, characters like commander video who debuted on the Wii, would be more likely. But even he's not going to get a mention. It's more a problem with Nintendo's view on indies than the character's recentness.

However, a smash game for indie fighters would be amazing. I mean, if super meat boy could get so many indie's together, it's totally possible xD

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I don't really think that he stands a chance, but thanks for making this topic. Now I'm actually interested in Shovel knight and might actually buy it.

Google revealed that Shovel knight will also appear in the game hex heroes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_Heroes

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
This guy looks awesome and this game looks awesome. It's impossible for me to not support this, even though it'll never actually happen.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
You could always make a sword Mii for the guy.

I have a friend who desperately wants indie's represented in smash. It's probably not going to happen, ever. This is a game for all-stars, not indies. And if it did, characters like commander video who debuted on the Wii, would be more likely. But even he's not going to get a mention. It's more a problem with Nintendo's view on indies than the character's recentness.

However, a smash game for indie fighters would be amazing. I mean, if super meat boy could get so many indie's together, it's totally possible xD
I've always wanted a World of Goo AT where a bunch of Goo Balls created extra structures on the stage to jump on, but I knew it'd never happen.

An indie crossover game would be fantastic though.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Just beat the game and oh boy was it great. He definitely had moveset potential via Sub-Weapons.

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Lol I was just thinking about something like this, but for Smash Flash 2, as that's definitely more realistic.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
In talk about "opponents" wouldn't Quote from Cave Story be Shovel Knight's biggest rival when it comes to nabbing the third party Indie Nintendo supporting rep?

How would you make arguments to show Quote supporters why Shovel Knight should be picked over him?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
In talk about "opponents" wouldn't Quote from Cave Story be Shovel Knight's biggest rival when it comes to nabbing the third party Indie Nintendo supporting rep?

How would you make arguments to show Quote supporters why Shovel Knight should be picked over him?
That is correct. However I feel that Shovel Knight would be better (not more likely) because he is new and has a style that could easily be transported to Smash. Shovel Knight also has gained as much or higher praise in comparison to Cave Story.

Everything else is purely preference though. As they both fit the bill and share an assortment of weaponry.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Uh...didn't know this thread existed, made a Shovel Knight thread :s Sawrry!

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I was playing this game earlier and thought he'd he'd make a cool fighter for smash. Of course, he has no chance at this point, but possibly Smash 5 or 6 if Nintendo takes the franchise to a bigger level.

Maybe he could make it as a last minute sticker or something for this game.

Regardless, I support.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I played around 3 hours of it so far. It's so awesome! The graphics, the music, the gameplay, the characters.
I can see him being an AT at the very least in the next smash or DLC in some way in this smash.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Still gotta get some songs before I start my New Game+. Awesome game though

Shame Nintendo can't just buy Yacht Games and make Shovel Knight in Smash (probably 5, though DLC would be possible) a reality. Ah well, I support it all the same.

EDIT: Here you go Gamer

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
As far as Shovel knight vs Quote goes, Shovel Knight has more moveset potential from what i've seen. I've played both Cave Story and Shovel Knight btw.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Still gotta get some songs before I start my New Game+. Awesome game though

Shame Nintendo can't just buy Yacht Games and make Shovel Knight in Smash (probably 5, though DLC would be possible) a reality. Ah well, I support it all the same.

EDIT: Here you go Gamer
Thanks. Also you can go here to download the soundtrack officially.

Just put in "0" for payment and it doesn't allow you to put your credit card information in and just gives you a straight download.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think that's gonna fly. It'd have to be done by someone already big in the indie community, imo, to get enough characters to take off.

I still hope they pull it off.
Well, I would imagine indie developers are a lot more accommodating than big name companies. You also have to consider a lot of the people who make the decisions for indie companies are more than likely gamers themselves....so they could have a personal interest in allowing their characters to appear in an "indie smash".

If these guys can show that they're competent and not just messing around they should be able to get some good characters. I think indie devs are far more willing to casually share their content (cameos and such) than bigger companies. (Where there would likely be more red tape and hoops to jump through)

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well, I would imagine indie developers are a lot more accommodating than big name companies. You also have to consider a lot of the people who make the decisions for indie companies are more than likely gamers themselves....so they could have a personal interest in allowing their characters to appear in an "indie smash".

If these guys can show that they're competent and not just messing around they should be able to get some good characters. I think indie devs are far more willing to casually share their content (cameos and such) than bigger companies. (Where there would likely be more red tape and hoops to jump through)
But there's a difference in having your character make a guest appearance in someone's game (super meat boy) and having your game be designed around other people's characters. I dunno, I mean, I'm sure there would be plenty of devs who wouldn't care as much, but if people are playing it because of the indie characters in the game, is it fair that the people who made the game but none of the characters get the profit?

There's just a lot of angles to consider.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
But there's a difference in having your character make a guest appearance in someone's game (super meat boy) and having your game be designed around other people's characters. I dunno, I mean, I'm sure there would be plenty of devs who wouldn't care as much, but if people are playing it because of the indie characters in the game, is it fair that the people who made the game but none of the characters get the profit?

There's just a lot of angles to consider.
The main way that they would profit is through increased exposure. A lack of brand recognition is a big problem for indies, and if you can land a big name like Minecraft Steve or Mighty No. 9, it'll be a no-brainer for the average indie developer, because the increased sales due to the free advertising you get from a game like this will make it well worth it, even if they don't directly get paid royalties or anything. If Smash can help a household name like Nintendo sell games, think about what a good crossover can do for an unknown indie dev.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The main way that they would profit is through increased exposure. A lack of brand recognition is a big problem for indies, and if you can land a big name like Minecraft Steve or Mighty No. 9, it'll be a no-brainer for the average indie developer, because the increased sales due to the free advertising you get from a game like this will make it well worth it, even if they don't directly get paid royalties or anything. If Smash can help a household name like Nintendo sell games, think about what a good crossover can do for an unknown indie dev.
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, or that there wouldn't be devs who jump on it. I just don't think it's as cookie cutter easy as it's being made to sound.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, or that there wouldn't be devs who jump on it. I just don't think it's as cookie cutter easy as it's being made to sound.
That's definitely true. The biggest challenge will be getting the big-name indies on board, since they're the key to getting everything else to fall into place. People buy Smash for Mario, Link, and Pikachu, and then buy Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem because of Smash. Lesser known but good indies who stand to benefit the most should be fairly easy to get on board once the big names sign up, though I guess even this isn't 100% guaranteed. Having to get licenses from a bunch of different companies was a big problem for PSASBR, and the challenges might not be as big for this game, but they still exist. If some of the big names get the ball rolling, it'll be much easier, though that's a big if, and you still have to deal with the fact that the devs for the game have far fewer resources to navigate all of these different companies. It actually would probably be very difficult for an unknown developer to get all of the right people on board and would probably require an established name behind it to get widespread support.

tl;dr It's hard to get a bunch of different people on the same page, so you'll probably need an established name working on the project to get the big indies, and you'll need the big indies to get the small indies.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I'm quite obsessed with this game. I'm actually pretty stoked that they're implementing a battle mode with all of the bosses, I just hope it includes more than the Order of No Quarter (Shovel & Black Knight, Enchantress and the 4 wandering knights). I'm especially hoping for the wandering knights, because Mr. Hat is just so awesome (I think these mini-bosses were actually designed by some of the kickstarter backers, which is beyond awesome).

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I can totally design a moveset for this dude. :grin:

I'll get back to you guys once it's finished ;)....

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
OMG I'm in love with Shovel Knight, it might have just become my favorite indie game so far! :D Count me as a supporter (even though I know he won't get in xD) I would also love to make a moveset but I'm gonna need to look up the official names of his moves and stuff first, I'll come back later with a moveset!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Shovel Knight's Final Smash should be summoning the Troupple King to attack with his fish subjects. His B should be Throwing Anchor, his Side B should be Dust Knuckles, his Up B should be Propeller Blade, and his Down B should be Phase Locket. His D-air is obviously his signature Shovel Spike.

Dark Emperor Hardin

Smash Cadet
Shovel Knight's Final Smash should be summoning the Troupple King to attack with his fish subjects. His B should be Throwing Anchor, his Side B should be Dust Knuckles, his Up B should be Propeller Blade, and his Down B should be Phase Locket. His D-air is obviously his signature Shovel Spike.
Would the dust knuckles allow him to go through opponents? In the notion that he could hit other opponents if he were near them when he hit the first person, similar to how it behaves in game.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Would the dust knuckles allow him to go through opponents? In the notion that he could hit other opponents if he were near them when he hit the first person, similar to how it behaves in game.
I was actually thinking of it working more like how Propeller Blade works in-game, with Propeller Blade functioning as a vertical recovery instead of a horizontal one. However, allowing him to go further if he hits someone would be a nice way to differentiate the move from other Side-Bs that function similarly, so that might be a good idea. It also might be cool if it could be cancelled on hit into another move to allow for some neat combos.

Dark Emperor Hardin

Smash Cadet
I was actually thinking of it working more like how Propeller Blade works in-game, with Propeller Blade functioning as a vertical recovery instead of a horizontal one. However, allowing him to go further if he hits someone would be a nice way to differentiate the move from other Side-Bs that function similarly, so that might be a good idea. It also might be cool if it could be cancelled on hit into another move to allow for some neat combos.
And I have two other questions, for one, would the propeller blade be aim-able? Secondly, is phase locket a counter move or a dodge?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
And I have two other questions, for one, would the propeller blade be aim-able? Secondly, is phase locket a counter move or a dodge?
Propeller Blade would be strictly vertical, and Phase Locket would work a bit like Dimensional Cape, so it could function as either a dodge or counter move.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I just got the game on my 3DS to help me break it back in for Sm4sh, since I haven't been using it all that much lately.

I've gotten ~halfway through it just beat the ice knight or whatever. I'm loving it so far. The graphics keep making me jiz.

For Shovelry!

Last edited:
Top Bottom