• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowloo Showdown VI [Feb 6-8]

S.D

Smash Master

Fresh on the back of the biggest smash tournament in Australian history, SHADOWLOO SHOWDOWN returns 6-8 February at the CQ Hotel with another instalment of epic gaming.

Super Smash Brothers Melee, Project M and Smash 4 will all feature with singles and doubles for each title.

Facebook event page
Website and registration link

COST
$50 weekend competitor pass
$10 per singles event
$5 per person for doubles events

Venue:
CQ Hotel
113 Queen Street
Melbourne VIC 3000 Australia

Schedule

Friday
5pm : Doors open - bring your gear - friendlies!
6pm - 9pm : Exhition matches/money matches/quadles

Saturday
Pools [Melee, Smash 4] - Arrive on time or not at all
10 - 11:45pm - Pool 1, Pool A and Pool W
11:45 - 1:30pm - Pool 2, Pool B and Pool X
1:30 - 3:15pm - Pool 3, Pool C and Pool Y
3:15-5pm- Pool 4, Pool D and Pool Z

Doubles Bracket
5 - 7pm - Melee
6 - 9pm - Project M
5 - 9pm - Smash 4

Sunday

Amateurs Bracket - 10AM

Bracket
10 - 1pm - Project M Bracket
12 - 3pm - Smash 4
2 - 5pm - Melee Bracket

Finals - Please tune in at twitch.tv/melbournemelee
1 - 3pm - Project M Singles Top 4, Doubles Top 3
3 - 5pm - Smash 4 Singles Top 4, Doubles Top 3
5 - 9pm - Melee Singles Top 8, Doubles Top 3

RULESETS

MELEE

Singles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:

• Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Doubles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:

• Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
  • Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed.
  • Double Blind: If elected
  • Contest Port Priority: If elected
  • Neutral Start: If elected
  • DSR: You cannot counter pick to any stage you have won on ever.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
  • Forced Character Selection: Off
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.
  • In the event of a tie due to both players dying simultaneously (triggering sudden death), a one stock 2 minute tie-breaker match will be played on the same stage. Sudden death is not to be played and will not count.
  • Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
  • Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
    • If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
    • If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
    • These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Team Attack: ON
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
How to Play a Set
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
  2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
  3. The players play the first match of the set
    Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
    For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
    For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
Term Definitions
    • Double Blind: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
    • Contest Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
    • Neutral Start: Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions”. A best of one game of Rock Paper Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority.
      Refer to official apex rule book:
      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74563582/Apex/Apex2015_Rulebook.pdfDSR: A player/team may not pick any stage they previously won on.
    • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
    • Forced character selection off: You may not counterpick a random stage
    • Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining. Players strike stages in this order: 1221
PROJECT M

General Rules
  • Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games. Finals are Best of 5.
  • Items are disabled.
  • Input buffer is disabled
  • All chain grabs and infinites are legal
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.
    • You may not choose the last stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
    • If time runs outs, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, a 1 stock, 3 minute match is played.
    • Playing as Giga Bowser is banned
Doubles Rules
    • Team Attack enabled
    • Sharing stocks is allowed
Starters
    • Green Hill Zone
    • Pokemon Stadium 2
    • Smashville
    • Battlefield
    • Dream Land
Counters
    • Yoshi's Island
    • Wario Ware
    • Final Destination
    • Skyworld
    • Yoshi's Story
Match Procedure
    • Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or second Stage Strike
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), the first player removes two(2) and the second player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
    • The players play the first match of the set
    • Winning player of the preceding match bans three stages from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. Does not apply to Best of 5 sets.
    • The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
    • The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may change their controller port.
    • The next match is played
    • Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
SMASH 4

- Bring your own controller (preferably gamecube controller)

Badges + Equipment are BANNED
Custom moves BANNED
Items are set to OFF and none
Mii Fighters are legal! Default moves only (1-1-1-1)

Sets are 2 stock (7 minute time limit), best of 3 games.
Winner Semifinals, Winners Finals, Losers Semifinals and Losers Finals are best of 5 games (no bans in best of 5 games).
Stages:
Starters -
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination (Standard FD, not any omega stages)
  • Smashville
Counterpick -
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Halberd
  • Duck Hunt
  • Town and City
  • Castle Siege
  • Delphino Plaza
The stage list may change.

Match format:
- Match 1 takes place on one of the 3 starter stages.
- Rock/Paper/Scissors to determine which player 'strikes' a starter stage first.
- First Player will strike 1 stage from the starters, Second Player will strike 1 stage from the starters, match proceeds on the last stage left in the starters.
After each game:
- The winner may ban TWO stages from the starters and counterpick, Loser picks what stage the next game is played on.
- At this point the winner of game 1 may change character. After this, the loser of game 1 may change character. Then he next game in the set is played.

- Dave's Stupid Rule is in place. (Cannot pick a stage you have already won on in that set, unless the other player agrees to it)

Timic rule: If both players agree, they may play on any stage they wish, with any and all items on. Including Badges and Equipment.

I'M NEW TO SMASH TOURNAMENTS
The main thing to remember is that most smash tournaments are Double Elimination (Example bracket: http://bbh.marpirc.net/k5/bracket3.gif (Winners bracket is the right side, Losers Bracket in the left side).
SSVI will also feature round robin pools for all games to qualify for the final bracket.
That means you’ll get to play at least 6 or 7 other players even if you're eliminated in pools.

Regular attendees are always happy to help you out with the rules of the tournament and share advice on characters, strategies and matchups. Demand friendlies with people!

Travelling?
If you're a lucky human being you might be able to find a generous smash friend, feel free to post questions regarding housing with other smashers in this thread.
Alternatively the CQ hotel accomodation is a great way to stay close to the action.
CQ HOTEL WEBSITE
Ask about discounted rates for the event (*yet to confirm whether there will be a reduced rate this year)

Melee Pools (Top 4 Advance)

Pool A
Atticus
Toshi
DonB
Macky
1ampercent
Flukey
Benny P
Hobs
Tomo009

Pool B
Splice
Forte
Hardpelicn
Blue (Cup)
Salty Pete
MGK
Skeneo
Boris
Dreadtech

Pool C
SD
Noxus
Vlade
Hughie
Hyes
Flog
Tuoko
Sadistic
Song_

Pool D
Skeletom
Moxie
Joey
Star
Meredyse
Jandalman
4X
DomHynes
Torpy
Earl

SMASH 4 Pools (Top 4 ADVANCE)

Pool 1
Villyness
Splice
Nicks
Salty Pete
ParasiteNZ
Hyes
Skeneo
Pene Power
Lee

Pool 2
Viva
Dean
Leisha
Deez
Noxus
Hensim
SD
Touko

Pool 3
Earl
Attila
Dreadtech
Forte
Marthicus
Sunset
E V D
Mr Touchdown

Pool 4
Tibs
Hobobloke
Ledge
Bryce
Magnum | Spark
MGK
Flukey
Gonzalez

Project M Pools (Top 4 Advance)

Pool W
Jamwa
Hardpelicn
Forte
Hobobloke
MGK
Jandalman
Naga
DomHynes

Pool X
Vlade
Moxie
Fudge
Hughie
Hyes
Playsia
Torpy
Tomo009

Pool Y
Splice
Toshi
Star
1ampercent
Flukey
Salty Pete
Hobs
Naked Jake

Pool Z
SD
Atticus
Noxus
Dreadtech
Blue (Cup)
Song_
Benny P
Sadistic

TOP 16 BRACKET AND AMATEUR BRACKETS ARE LIVE

ALL AMATEUR BRACKETS WILL PLAY AT 10AM

PM AMATEURS BRACKET
www.challonge.com/PMamaSS6

SMASH 4 AMATEURS BRACKET
www.challonge.com/S4amaSS6

MELEE AMATEURS BRACKET
www.challonge.com/MamaSS6

PM TOP 16 IS AT 11AM
www.challonge.com/PMSS6

SMASH 4 TOP 16 IS AT 12PM
www.challonge.com/S4SS6

MELEE TOP 16 IS AT 2PM
www.challonge.com/MSS6

Last edited:

Meredy

The Busterina
I'm not entirely sure if this is worth the costs. Money's tight at the moment. Any idea of what we'll be seeing in terms of attendance?

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
I'll be streaming All 3 days again too, Hopefully on MelbourneMelee this time! :D
Just need to find some good quality headsets! :D Suggestions welcome.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
I'm attending, I don't expect it to be that huge or anything but I'm hoping for at least a decent turnout/tournament.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
I'll be streaming All 3 days again too, Hopefully on MelbourneMelee this time! :D
Just need to find some good quality headsets! :D Suggestions welcome.
I think the headsets have all been fine, people just need to put the mics closer to their mouths instead of hanging out next to the other commentator.
But other than that nfi.

As for attendance it's a bit of a wildcard at this point.
It's very close to Buttonsmash, which seems to have attracted a lot of interstate attendance, and has not been widely promoted in the smash community as yet.
However based on the success of the last SS I would presume most of the Vic scene at least would attend, and potentially some interstaters.

S.D

Smash Master
If people are considering doing ONE melbourne tournament this year, make it BAM, which will be featuring a host of international competitors and a bigger interstate showing.

However if you are able to make a couple this one should be great too!

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Cools.

Guess I should be coming. Still need a doubles partner though...

Does anyone know when Pre registering closes?

Hey, If you need a Double for Melee, perhaps we could team up? I was just gonna randomly find somebody on the day.

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
I think the headsets have all been fine, people just need to put the mics closer to their mouths instead of hanging out next to the other commentator.
But other than that nfi.
That's not the issue, the loopback happens because I think max uses virtual audio cable to route everything so the commentators can hear each other which means the mic audio goes into the computer twice basically

Hardpelicn Hardpelicn
As for headsets, I have one of these right now and it's probably the best non-XLR headset money can buy right now for PC:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25385
It has a closed can version as well if you're not into open ear cups (i prefer open)

Or it's cheaper alternative:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_1156&products_id=29455

don't use USB in for mics as it adds delay on top, stick with the mic jacks and get 2x headphone splitters for both mic and headphone ports and set the headsets to listen to the microphones through windows to get no loopback/delay

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I won't be available for much of the weekend due to work. I'd like to see some new bloods step up and take the reigns of Smash 4. It would be a great warm up for BAM!

Dekar289

Smash Hero
if we're expected to run everything smash ourselves again
and there's no armada/lucky this time
and it costs just as much...
awks. i'll still be in the US

as sd said, BAM is the big tourney to go to, interstaters ;)

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Going, the question is whether dumb splice sama will go so I have a smash 4 partner, plz splicccuuuuuuuuu
hmm let me think about it man, Shadowloo is looking kinda...

I won't be available for much of the weekend due to work. I'd like to see some new bloods step up and take the reigns of Smash 4. It would be a great warm up for BAM!
I will be overseas.
Not sure I'll be there either.
FREE

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Last year we were more hype than any of the traditional FGC games and I'm proud of you guys for that. Let's do it again, SS is going to be great!

Smash is important to SS and I'm here to make sure you guys are happy and we can have the best tournament possible.

Do you need support for streaming? Help running pools? Something we can fix from last year? Contact me (fb probably best).

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
That's not the issue, the loopback happens because I think max uses virtual audio cable to route everything so the commentators can hear each other which means the mic audio goes into the computer twice basically

Hardpelicn Hardpelicn
As for headsets, I have one of these right now and it's probably the best non-XLR headset money can buy right now for PC:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25385
It has a closed can version as well if you're not into open ear cups (i prefer open)

Or it's cheaper alternative:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_1156&products_id=29455

don't use USB in for mics as it adds delay on top, stick with the mic jacks and get 2x headphone splitters for both mic and headphone ports and set the headsets to listen to the microphones through windows to get no loopback/delay
With it seems like the loud sounding venue, I would probably go with the closed design headphones

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Last year we were more hype than any of the traditional FGC games and I'm proud of you guys for that. Let's do it again, SS is going to be great!

Smash is important to SS and I'm here to make sure you guys are happy and we can have the best tournament possible.

Do you need support for streaming? Help running pools? Something we can fix from last year? Contact me (fb probably best).
Can we get the date changed to not within a month of apex either side? Thanks

Benny P

Smash Journeyman

I wasn't hugely big on smash last ss, but met a few friends who did like it. Ever since SS6, I've fallen in love with smash.

S.D

Smash Master
Venue fee is literally identical to Buttonsmash and basically every other 2/3 day major tournament ever.
Idk why people are suddenly affronted by it, $60-80 for three days seems reasonable.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Venue fee is literally identical to Buttonsmash and basically every other 2/3 day major tournament ever.
Idk why people are suddenly affronted by it, $60-80 for three days seems reasonable.
Because AVCON set the new standard for Australian Majors! All hail our Weeb overlords!

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
I think there are some questions that need to be confronted about this.

If Smash is supposedly important to SS, why was there zero consultation with us about the date?

Are these FGC internationals I see appearing on my Facebook feed funded by SS entry money/sponsorship, and if so, why doesn't any of it go to bringing in Smash players?

Most importantly, why should Smash players want to fork out $60+ to support this tournament when the talent pool (almost no interstaters and no Dekar) is going to be less impressive than a $15 Couch Warriors monthly as a direct result of scheduling it without any say from us?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I think there are some questions that need to be confronted about this.

If Smash is supposedly important to SS, why was there zero consultation with us about the date?

Are these FGC internationals I see appearing on my Facebook feed funded by SS entry money/sponsorship, and if so, why doesn't any of it go to bringing in Smash players?

Most importantly, why should Smash players want to fork out $60+ to support this tournament when the talent pool (almost no interstaters and no Dekar) is going to be less impressive than a $15 Couch Warriors monthly as a direct result of scheduling it without any say from us?
The only point I can help with there is that SS did try to bring people over, but due to dates conflicting with apex, there has been literally 0 people saying they can come.

Otherwise I agree on all other points and I can say since there was BAM7 already happening at a much better date, I didn't attempt to contact Ali or such in the more recent months in regards to this. I personally am trying to run less tournaments as it makes me not happy and a bad person sometimes.

Originally there has been no consultation I am aware of with any smashers in regards to when they did originally choose the date.

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to dump on this tournament and shaft the players who have already registered, but SS is going to flop on the Smash side without a reality check. One suggestion would be to divert the would-have-been international funding to interstate players. We should be able to get a fair few (if they're available) since they are much cheaper to fly in. They are otherwise not going to come, and will provide some much needed incentive for locals to actually attend this. @ Plasia Plasia ?

Last edited:

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
yeah funding interstate players instead of internationals would be a very good idea to get people to go to this event, not many are willing to fork out the same money for this as they would for BAM but due to Uni not starting quite yet people definitely have the TIME for this event

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
yeah funding interstate players instead of internationals would be a very good idea to get people to go to this event, not many are willing to fork out the same money for this as they would for BAM but due to Uni not starting quite yet people definitely have the TIME for this event

Yeah, the fact that I don't have uni when this is running is like a good half of why i'm going :p

Top Bottom