• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Setting Team Costumes to Different Slots?

megamanofnumbers

Smash Cadet
Everyone knows how modding with team costumes works, a slot for a character has been preset to always be called when you pull up a team color (Example: Blue Team Costume for Mario is always in slot 2). Is there any way to set a different slot for a character's costume?

The issue I have is that Samus' Green Team Costume is on slot 5(?), the point is I want to move it so to when I call up a green team costume it pulls from the purple costume slot.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Samus's green colour is 02, same as everybody else.
You could always just interchange the green and purple colours and swap their portraits, if you want to use purple samus in green team.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
In the game's data, Samus' colour data looks like this:
Code:
0200 0103 0001 0805 0404 0302 0C00
In this, you should read the bytes as pairs. The first byte (two characters) is the colour that costume is recognised as, the second (last two characters) is the costume (FitSamus##.pac). The order set here is the order in which they appear on the Character Select Screen (CSS). So the first costume for Samus to appear on the CSS is costume 00 (default), second is blue (03), third is red (01), and so on.

Because this is data loaded into memory, you can have a Gecko code for this. The default setup (addresses and values) is this:

Code:
04455218 02000103
0445521c 00010805
04455220 04040302
04455224 0C000000
In-game data for colours (the first byte of each "pair") works like this:

00 - Red (usually FitFighter01, unless the default costume is red)
01 - Blue (usually FitFighter03, unless the default costume is blue)
02 - Yellow
03 - Green (usually FitFighter02, unless the default costume is green)
04 - Purple
05 - Light blue (also Captain Falcon's default costume's blue-that-isn't-blue-enough-for-the-blue-team)
06 - Pink
07 - Brown
08 - Black
09 - White
0A - Orange
0B - Grey (only Fire Luigi and default Wolf have this)

0C00 - denotes that no more costume-colour definitions for this character follow after this point

From the above data, you can see that Samus' purple costume (purple being colour 04) is FitSamus04. Conveniently both her green and purple costumes are set at the same address:
Code:
04455220 04040302
Swap the colour codes around, so you get this:
Code:
04455220 03040402
Add this code to your GCT file. Samus' purple costume will now load as her green team costume, without having to modify CSPs and such (and her green costume would now be defined as purple in Tourney Mode if we had access to that (that is pretty much the only thing the other colour codes are used for)).

This of course works for every character, but you need to find the memory addresses yourself for them (I used Dolphin in debug mode). It also forms one part of adding additional costumes beyond the defaults to the game (you also need another Gecko code to actually tell the game to load the costume when it's selected, and to add CSPs, stock icons, etc. to common5.pac and such).

Sorry if I got too technical about it... but the more you know, I guess :p

tl;dr version: Put this in your GCT file:
Code:
04455220 03040402

Last edited:

theTRUEchamp

Smash Apprentice
On a similar topic, is it possible to give a character multiple options for team colours (like how Wario is set up and how the alternate costumes in P:M can be usable in team battles)? I ask this because I gave multiple characters red, green, and blue alts using cBliss and this would be very helpful.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
On a similar topic, is it possible to give a character multiple options for team colours (like how Wario is set up and how the alternate costumes in P:M can be usable in team battles)? I ask this because I gave multiple characters red, green, and blue alts using cBliss and this would be very helpful.
That might be a bit awkward because of how cBliss works. Basically it defines a set order of the colours (something like I did to Samus above), and then duplicates that order to all characters (which is why you get stuff like Mario's default costume no longer being his red team costume). You'd pretty much have to deconstruct/remove cBliss, to do it for more than one character (this is why PM doesn't use cBliss, they set the colours up character-by-character).

Last edited:
Top Bottom