• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Sep 24, 2015] Smash Quest- smash 4 weeklies (Flushing, New York)

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Venue Fee: $3
Tournament Fee: $5
4:00PM - Sign-up
5:30PM - Tournament begins (please god come around 5 for christs sake)

Customs: off
Mii fighters: On and allowed to use any alternate specials with default miis
Starters: Final destination, battlefield, town and city, smashville, dreamland 64
Counterpick: Lylat cruise, duck hunt, omegas, isle delfino, halberd, castle siege
Bring your own controller!

Cardquest is on the second floor of flushing new world mall. Up the escalator and passed the massager chairs.

You can play friendlies before and after the tourney. Room opens at 12:00pm, room closes at 10:00pm

Halkite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Halkite
3DS FC
0190-0628-9257
I'm pretty sure it's singles. I don't think they have really done very many doubles tbh.

Halkite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Halkite
3DS FC
0190-0628-9257
From what I gather it sits between 20-26 or so at the highest, lowest it's ever been that I've heard of is 12. Occasionally when I go there is always some sort of record being broken for how many people come so more people are probably coming to this particular site.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Nice little local, I can definitely see me coming here once or twice a month. Hope they get more room open though. :o

Halkite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Halkite
3DS FC
0190-0628-9257
I think any are acceptable, however it is highly recommended that you bring a gamecube controller. Normally there are 1 or 2 or so people that forget to disconnect their wireless controllers and it holds up matches which is a big no on the to-do list.

If you bring a wireless controller I don't think it'll be a problem as long as you are on top of that. Don't quote me on this though.

Halkite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Halkite
3DS FC
0190-0628-9257
It's a weekly event, there are times were it can be canceled, however that doesn't happen very often.

Halkite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Halkite
3DS FC
0190-0628-9257
Why wouldn't it be? The location of a tournament doesn't really change unless the people hosting it can't afford to rent out the space or the person that might typically allow it says they can't because "x, y, and z".

Halkite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Halkite
3DS FC
0190-0628-9257
I can only see it lasting 30 mins to an hour if only 8 or so showed up and they all used campy tactics to stall the fights. Normally there are at least 16-22 people that enter and it takes a few hours. Almost until 10pm.

So yeah it depends on the attendees, did something confuse you?

OldSchoolGG

Smash Rookie
I can only see it lasting 30 mins to an hour if only 8 or so showed up and they all used campy tactics to stall the fights. Normally there are at least 16-22 people that enter and it takes a few hours. Almost until 10pm.

So yeah it depends on the attendees, did something confuse you?
Thanks for answering my message. Ya it was just the Start and End date that my friend was wondering about so I made a post for him.

Halkite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Halkite
3DS FC
0190-0628-9257
@ OldSchoolGG OldSchoolGG Ok, I just thought it was sort of a weird question to begin with. No offense to your friend by any means.

@ Mix[player Mix[player I don't know of a Facebook group, if there was one I'm sure the Organizers would have posted it here in the initial post.

You could always ask the organizers whether or not they'd be willing to make one if there isn't one already and then take it from there.

As for the payout here is a copy paste of what the payout was last week:
Entry money is entered into prize pool
First Place: 60% of Prize Pool
Second Place : 30% of Prize Pool
Third Place: 10% of the Prize Pool

Don't take this as the end all be all answer to the payout, you'd be better off confirming with the Organizers themselves.

DReager1

Smash Rookie
NNID
Terry20
This definitely sounds like fun. I aim to be there this Saturday for my very first SSB4 tourney day! :D I only put in a maybe at the top though because to celebrate my first tournament experience, I'm also doing another tournament at 12:00PM and while I'm assuming that I'll lose quickly enough to make this one, there's always the chance that I'll advance too much. If I were to get there at 5, do I still have time to check in or is it too late since the tourney will nearly be starting?

iceman9746

Smash Cadet
Venue Fee: $3
Tournament Fee: $5
4:00PM - Sign-up
5:30PM - Tournament begins (please god come around 5 for christs sake)

Customs: off
Mii fighters: On and allowed to use any alternate specials with default miis
Starters: Final destination, battlefield, town and city, smashville, dreamland 64
Counterpick: Lylat cruise, duck hunt, omegas, isle delfino, halberd, castle siege
Bring your own controller!

Cardquest is on the second floor of flushing new world mall. Up the escalator and passed the massager chairs.

You can play friendlies before and after the tourney. Room opens at 12:00pm, room closes at 10:00pm
Have you not seen how stupid mii brawler is with customs?

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
Busy this week; but will attend next week! I've been looking for a local in queens for a while

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
lol says the one with an easy character that gets a free kill every 2 minutes. shut up
Sheik mains ******** about how bull**** another character is, what a ****ing joke. Tell me how sheik a character that ****s on the whole cast is more fair than wario. Wario isn't easy otherwise people would spam him, hes widely considered high tier but severly underplayed for being high tier. People only spam easy characters that get away with tons of **** like sheik.

I don't hate sheik mains, but sheik mains don't have the right to complain about any character on the entire roster because sheik is the only character that lets you get away with having habits.

iceman9746

Smash Cadet
Sheik mains ******** about how bull**** another character is, what a ****ing joke. Tell me how sheik a character that ****s on the whole cast is more fair than wario. Wario isn't easy otherwise people would spam him, hes widely considered high tier but severly underplayed for being high tier. People only spam easy characters that get away with tons of **** like sheik.

I don't hate sheik mains, but sheik mains don't have the right to complain about any character on the entire roster because sheik is the only character that lets you get away with having habits.
l0l people spam sheik. Just because she is the best character doesn't mean other characters aren't more stupid. I could probably get better war than you in a week because he is easy af but i don't like easy characters. DK forward throw into up throw into up air isn't dumb? I can have played way better the whole match but because dk gets a grab or wario gets the fart i still lose?

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
sooo, is this happening again this saturday the 19th?
yes

l0l people spam sheik. Just because she is the best character doesn't mean other characters aren't more stupid. I could probably get better war than you in a week because he is easy af but i don't like easy characters. DK forward throw into up throw into up air isn't dumb? I can have played way better the whole match but because dk gets a grab or wario gets the fart i still lose?
it's impossible for DK to compete if you play the match up right. Hell its impossible for most of the cast to compete if sheik plays the match up right? You see M2K vs Vinnie? Non stupid sheiks force the entire cast to play slow and defensive and those who don't have the camp game or the mobility to keep up with her get destroyed. I'll give you that sheik isn't especially easy, but she isn't hard at all. Your character as the best neutral in the game is it's more or less expected that you're going to win neutral more. You winning neutral more because your character has a better neutral doesn't mean you played better you jack ass.

Don't ****ing kid yourself, all the relevant sheiks know how bull**** unfair she is. You denying the fact just makes it pretty damn obvious you don't know a thing. I'd also suggest that you quit the pointless **** talk and please show some respect to the rules I instilled at my local tourney you ****ing degenerate. Insulting me or my character is no way to get me to change them.

iceman9746

Smash Cadet
yes

it's impossible for DK to compete if you play the match up right. Hell its impossible for most of the cast to compete if sheik plays the match up right? You see M2K vs Vinnie? Non stupid sheiks force the entire cast to play slow and defensive and those who don't have the camp game or the mobility to keep up with her get destroyed. I'll give you that sheik isn't especially easy, but she isn't hard at all. Your character as the best neutral in the game is it's more or less expected that you're going to win neutral more. You winning neutral more because your character has a better neutral doesn't mean you played better you jack ***.

Don't ****ing kid yourself, all the relevant sheiks know how bull**** unfair she is. You denying the fact just makes it pretty damn obvious you don't know a thing. I'd also suggest that you quit the pointless **** talk and please show some respect to the rules I instilled at my local tourney you ****ing degenerate. Insulting me or my character is no way to get me to change them.
you attacked my character first bro and she is not bull**** besides zero and mr r there aren't any sheiks that consistently make to top 16 at majors and most locals i go to i never see sheik in the top 8. She is harder to use than most character period. You're ignorant if you think otherwise. If you play a basic sheik who only walls with fair and needles and beat your opponent. Your opponent did something wrong and probably isn't very good to begin with.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
you attacked my character first bro and she is not bull**** besides zero and mr r there aren't any sheiks that consistently make to top 16 at majors and most locals i go to i never see sheik in the top 8. She is harder to use than most character period. You're ignorant if you think otherwise. If you play a basic sheik who only walls with fair and needles and beat your opponent. Your opponent did something wrong and probably isn't very good to begin with.
You started bming mii brawler which is a strong but fair character while you use sheik which is a strong but unfair character. If I wanted to neuter a character sheik would be first on the list and not mii brawler. Neither is good enough to be banned though. For Miis customs are available in custom off environments as well as the fact that their customs get balanced with patches, which sort of puts them into the category of regular moves and not customs.There are plenty of top sheiks that score high on a national level, in fact I'd say she's one of the few consistent top 8 characters. The only sheiks that complain their character is more fair than others or is difficult are scrub sheiks who like to complain. Any sheik worth their salt knows exactly who they're playing and knows that their character has the most options without being demanding to play.

iceman9746

Smash Cadet
You started bming mii brawler which is a strong but fair character while you use sheik which is a strong but unfair character. If I wanted to neuter a character sheik would be first on the list and not mii brawler. Neither is good enough to be banned though. For Miis customs are available in custom off environments as well as the fact that their customs get balanced with patches, which sort of puts them into the category of regular moves and not customs.There are plenty of top sheiks that score high on a national level, in fact I'd say she's one of the few consistent top 8 characters. The only sheiks that complain their character is more fair than others or is difficult are scrub sheiks who like to complain. Any sheik worth their salt knows exactly who they're playing and knows that their character has the most options without being demanding to play.
Mii brawler with customs can get a kill out of a throw at 30%, thats fair? Yes sheik is the best character in the game but just cause she may be easier to get results than say king dedede that doesn't make her the easier character that makes her the better character. Imo the top hardest characters to use in the game go 1. peach 2. ryu 3. rosalina 4. pikachu 5.zss 6. sheik
Notice how their all top tier again it might be harder to get results with palutena but that doesn't make them the harder character. King deeded only has to worry about a few things gordos. grab, shield, and reads. Sheik has to worry about whether to sh fair, tomahawk grab, oos options, when its safe to needle, b reverse needles out of sh, only way to get kills are a rare bf by the edge either a nair leading up too it or edge guarding, up smash tipper, and down throw into a 50/50 which is more of read game than a 50/50. If you can't confirm any f these by 140ish % your out of luck and there is more than this. i know war is not easy ( still think sheik is harder) but that fart is unarguably cheap.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Mii brawler with customs can get a kill out of a throw at 30%, thats fair? Yes sheik is the best character in the game but just cause she may be easier to get results than say king dedede that doesn't make her the easier character that makes her the better character. Imo the top hardest characters to use in the game go 1. peach 2. ryu 3. rosalina 4. pikachu 5.zss 6. sheik
Notice how their all top tier again it might be harder to get results with palutena but that doesn't make them the harder character. King deeded only has to worry about a few things gordos. grab, shield, and reads. Sheik has to worry about whether to sh fair, tomahawk grab, oos options, when its safe to needle, b reverse needles out of sh, only way to get kills are a rare bf by the edge either a nair leading up too it or edge guarding, up smash tipper, and down throw into a 50/50 which is more of read game than a 50/50. If you can't confirm any f these by 140ish % your out of luck and there is more than this. i know war is not easy ( still think sheik is harder) but that fart is unarguably cheap.
I'm sure mii brawler killing you at 30 off of a grab requires a lot of very specific factors. He won't just grab and kill you at 30% every time, the only character that can do that consistently is probably metaknight, who happens to have one of the highest learning curves in the entire game. Having more options than everyone else doesn't make you harder, it just makes you better. Wario isn't hard in the tradition sense like a character like greninja. Wario requires intelligence and deception. Mario is the example of a character that has one of the best a buttons in the game. Mario can kind of just press things and they work. As wario that doesn't work at all. As wario you have to space well and know what you're doing at all points of the game, wario loses to bottom tier characters like ganondorf if you don't play patiently or play smart. Wario is probably the character that requires the most patience of any character on the roster relying on mostly stray hits. He's kind of like a good jigglypuff, right down to the down b finisher.

Warios fart is an amazing move, super armor and very fast frame data wise. As well as being hard to punish on whiff. However, in a two stock format I don't have too many chances to even get my most reliable kill move. If wario had a combo throw and a 50-50 for a kill or a kill throw (a better one fam) the fart wouldn't be necessary.

To sheiks credit she can't afford to make mistakes very often like other top tier characters, such as wario or luigi. But her tools are better outright. The best camping game, the best approach, the best neutral game and a recovery near impossible to contest by almost the entire cast (bike as a projectile works well agains sheik as well as pika) make her pretty unfair.

iceman9746

Smash Cadet
I'm sure mii brawler killing you at 30 off of a grab requires a lot of very specific factors. He won't just grab and kill you at 30% every time, the only character that can do that consistently is probably metaknight, who happens to have one of the highest learning curves in the entire game. Having more options than everyone else doesn't make you harder, it just makes you better. Wario isn't hard in the tradition sense like a character like greninja. Wario requires intelligence and deception. Mario is the example of a character that has one of the best a buttons in the game. Mario can kind of just press things and they work. As wario that doesn't work at all. As wario you have to space well and know what you're doing at all points of the game, wario loses to bottom tier characters like ganondorf if you don't play patiently or play smart. Wario is probably the character that requires the most patience of any character on the roster relying on mostly stray hits. He's kind of like a good jigglypuff, right down to the down b finisher.

Warios fart is an amazing move, super armor and very fast frame data wise. As well as being hard to punish on whiff. However, in a two stock format I don't have too many chances to even get my most reliable kill move. If wario had a combo throw and a 50-50 for a kill or a kill throw (a better one fam) the fart wouldn't be necessary.

To sheiks credit she can't afford to make mistakes very often like other top tier characters, such as wario or luigi. But her tools are better outright. The best camping game, the best approach, the best neutral game and a recovery near impossible to contest by almost the entire cast (bike as a projectile works well agains sheik as well as pika) make her pretty unfair.
Best camp game is just not true. samus and villager and others have a better camp game

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
Are the games streamed/uploaded anywhere? And are the sets 2/3 the whole way through?

Last edited:

Aljay

Smash Rookie
Saturdays? Thought it was on sundays but cool. I guess i missed out on it today. Will try next weekend

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
@Miis: Last I heard, Mii Brawler needs to be min size AND have custom moves to be as "insane" as is claimed. And the ruleset states default sizes. So there's that. Speaking of the ruleset, is there any chance you might consider swapping Lylat with Dreamland? Make DL a CP and Lylat a starter. With this starter selection I feel kinda trapped because while BF and DL have their differences, if I don't want one I don't want the other. Lylat makes more sense since it's a very different stage from the other four. But hey, that's just my two cents.

By the way, what's the address? I need to plug this into google maps to see if I can plausibly go or not. Also, is there a Facebook group for this?

Aljay

Smash Rookie
@Miis: Last I heard, Mii Brawler needs to be min size AND have custom moves to be as "insane" as is claimed. And the ruleset states default sizes. So there's that. Speaking of the ruleset, is there any chance you might consider swapping Lylat with Dreamland? Make DL a CP and Lylat a starter. With this starter selection I feel kinda trapped because while BF and DL have their differences, if I don't want one I don't want the other. Lylat makes more sense since it's a very different stage from the other four. But hey, that's just my two cents.

By the way, what's the address? I need to plug this into google maps to see if I can plausibly go or not. Also, is there a Facebook group for this?
136-20 Roosvelt Ave, Flushing, NY, 11354. Type it just like that, or you can just search for New World Mall. I live in brooklyn so it's not to far for me.

Top Bottom