• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seanson's Hitbox System v1.0.17.1 (updated june 30)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Can you elaborate more? Keep in mind you can not change attacks while it is playing. Do the dropdown boxes even show up? When you click them does the dropdown portion show up? Does clicking them not do anything? What is your connection speed/Did you choose an attack with a lot of frames (may take a long time to download)?

I read that it drastically slows down a connection if it downloads many small things (frames in this case), so I will eventually pack up the frames so as to speed up connection speeds. I gotta figure out how to do that.
An attack is not running when I attempt to change the attack. The entire screen looks normal, except that only one attack will load (the jab attack), and sometimes it doesn't even load. You either get the jab animation for whatever attack you select, or a "Frame data has not..." message stuck there permanently, regardless if you change characters or attacks.

When I hit play, it looks as if it is playing, but only plays the jab animation (or I have the white sscreen). I have a dedicated T1 connection, so loading problems is not an issue unless your campus cannot send then information veryt quickly.

I've been attempting to look at it with moves I already know are in there, such as marth's f-smash or fox's aerials, but none load.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
I think Luigi's B-up has three different hitboxes kind of, if that's what you meant. A normal 1% hit, A sweetspotted ground ~25% hit, and a sweetspotted aerial ~17(?) hit.
no im talking about the characters that have special up+b moves, where you stand on the ground and face one direction, press up+b, then immeadiately press the opposite direction than you are facing, and you will use your up+b in the other direction...you can hit on both sides of you if the opponent is close enough...

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Am I the only person not seeing the standard red cicles as hitboxes for Fox's up+b? This was probably the move that interested me the most, since I wanted to know the hitboxes for the "fire-shield" at the start of the move, and I'm not seeing any.

Maybe I'm being dumb?

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only person not seeing the standard red cicles as hitboxes for Fox's up+b? This was probably the move that interested me the most, since I wanted to know the hitboxes for the "fire-shield" at the start of the move, and I'm not seeing any.

Maybe I'm being dumb?
I went to the program and looked, and you're right, I couldn't see any hitboxes. I think, though, that the fire rings are obscuring the hitboxes from view, or that they possibly are the hitboxes, idk.

EDIT: After checking the up-b, I chose fox's jab just to check something, and the program sorta glitched. after the animation for jab ended, it played the remaining frames from the up-b. When i tried playing again it went back to normal. I tried loading several different combinations and this glitch occurred a lot, but went away after playing the move a couple more times. And as long as i clicked the "First" button for the new move, it didn't do the glitch. Kind of annoying, unless you know how to get around it. I'm no programming expert, anything you could do to fix this?
Wow, long edit.

Seanson

Smash Ace
squaminator, it just so happens i am in the process of finishing shiek, she should be done by the end of the night. frames only, though that stats are neat to have they arent necessary.

blarggh, answer me this: when did you try selecting another move? after up+b finished? while up+b was playing? did you somehow choose another attack while up+b was loading? what speed were you playing at? was Loop Playback checked?

im thinking I can fix the issue if you can answer those.

edit: about fox's up+b, before blast-off, if you play it slow enough and look close enough you can see the hitbox, but while he is in rocket-mode they are 95% covered up. the flame sprites generally get in the way, which can't really be avoided :(

same thing with ganon's neutral b, too much dark super energy

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Cool
Can we do Ness soon? It's for a good reason, not just because I main him. In the Ness forums, we are making an extended guide and we need pictures of Ness' attack's hitboxes. If you can great, I <3 you :)

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
blarggh, answer me this: when did you try selecting another move? after up+b finished? while up+b was playing? did you somehow choose another attack while up+b was loading? what speed were you playing at? was Loop Playback checked?

im thinking I can fix the issue if you can answer those.
IIRC, it wasn't looping, and the move animation had just finished. I was on the normal frame speed, and once the move finished, i picked a different move and clicked play and the glitch happened. the move animation played, and when it finished then the remaining frames of the up-b played. after that ended, I played it again and it was fine. Maybe you are caching the frames when you load the move and they need to be dumped when a new move loads? I think that's all I can remember/think of.

Seanson

Smash Ace
earthbound, since you say so, ness will be next, i usually try to do 1 char a day and today is sheik day, so tomorrow is ness day. hooray!

balrghhggh: the way it caches now is it puts all frames into an array. so when you load up+b, 103 images are in the array. then when you go to jab it replaces the first however-many frames jab is. not sure why, but play should never exceed the maximum length of the attack, and since it does, why does it fix itself the 2nd, 3rd time through? who knows! I will find out though. i'll try recreating the cache with each load, so i dont re-use the same one.

sorry if some of that was wordy and unimportant, but I like to keep my audience posted with all the info.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Nothing really important, but why not put the characters in alphabetical order? Currently they are listed as they are in the game, from left to right, top row down.

Seanson

Smash Ace
i think ganondorf is already researched

by the way, there may be some frames missing temporarily such as all of ganon. this is because i filled up my server with only 3 chars and in order to add shiek i needed to switch servers. the new server isnt finding my frames, so i got some fixing to do :(

edit: hah this new server isnt directly connected to my computer so i am feeling the effects of the loading. now i can experience it like everyone else, and attempt to fix things better (loading isnt even working, bummer)

petre

Smash Lord
maybe after all the chars are done, ill go through to all the moves that have covered hitboxes and draw them in in paint or something, and you could have those seperate from the actual ones, just put them in as those second type of attacks...but i prolly wont do that until all the chars are done, since it will take awhile...

Seanson

Smash Ace
i am angry right now :mad:

the world is crashing down on me

my server was full, so i had to remove some moves. my new server is having issues for some reason my old one wasnt having. frames will not load on the new server because in my coding .jpg is lowercase, but all of petre's pics were .JPG in uppercase. on the old server this made no difference, but now the new server is really sucking it up. essentially half the frames wont load.

also, i have realized that having 800kb-1300kb per move is a LOT to download for each individual move. it takes a lot of time. i don't know how it was on my old server, but since my new server isnt connected to my computer i have to download the images like everyone else, and it is terribly slow. it took me about 20 seconds to load sheiks down tilt. gah.

after some thinking i have decided to temporarily make this only for download, which means no streaming. frankly I dont want to rename the 1500 frames petre made well, but i very much want this to be online. the whole conundrum is that each move is so big. 30 frames at 7kb is only 210kb, but ganons utilt is like 150 frames, which is 1.05 megs. seems like a lot.

it is no problem keeping it online. i am very stressed right now, and I would appreciate it if people didnt comment about how it works online. offline it works just fine, if not very well (except the slider, which has never worked). so the offline version will always be available for download, for those smashers that value keeping this with them. I will be periodically releasing updates they can patch on to their full version, along with an updated full version for anyone that is downloading it for the first time.

Oh, i jsut got an idea on how to fix capitalization checking in my code, it probably wont work but it's worth a shot.

in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions for mass file renaming programs? batch renamers?

thanks for bearing with me

edit: here is the new site that has everything uploaded, but capitalization makes some frames unviewable for the time being:
http://www.livingstonian.com/~sean/HitboxSystem/ssbmhitbox.html

petre

Smash Lord
in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions for mass file renaming programs? batch renamers?
yes, please!!! this would help me out so much!!! i would try to write one myself, but i havent written any batch in over a year now, and when i did it wasnt very advanced...maybe tommorow ill see if i can look up some stuff and make one, if nobody that is more experienced will...if you are even slightly able to, please say something!! it would make my life alot easier!!!

petre

Smash Lord
CTRL+F in notepad?

Or Find/Replace in microsoft word?
no no see, we have like thousands of files that are named like '1.JPG, 2.JPG, 3.JPG...' we need them to be named '1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg...'...its not the content IN the file, its the NAME of the file we need changed...and yes we could go through and manually change each file, but that would take hours...looking for a shortcut thats all.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
no no see, we have like thousands of files that are named like '1.JPG, 2.JPG, 3.JPG...' we need them to be named '1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg...'...its not the content IN the file, its the NAME of the file we need changed...and yes we could go through and manually change each file, but that would take hours...looking for a shortcut thats all.
Find/replace in microsoft word.

Copy and paste the code into MWord, use find and replace. Replace all .JPG with .jpg, and it is fixed.

Seanson

Smash Ace
it isnt in the code where we need the renaming. i've used find/replace when working with the code so much it must be worn out by now.

we are talking about files, pictures.

all of petre's work is right around 2,800 frames, which is a lot of renaming. assuming 3 sec per name change, it would take 2 hours and 20 minutes (i happened to have a calculator nearby)

edit: found a batch converter in like 2 minutes, then converted everything in like 3 minutes, 3 cheers for sourceforge!

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
This is awesome
*bookmarks*
I hope u can have samus hitboxes there next week;)
Im sorry I cant help out....

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Write some code that will take a given directory, loop through all the files, and save them in another directory as .jpg.

I could write you a quick snippet to do that, if you want.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't see your edit :)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
A good idea for this would be too try and have it Sponsered by smash boards, have it as streamable through their datebase if they feel like handling in it, that would draw a lot more people in and be very convenient

Seanson

Smash Ace
that isnt necessary for the time being. my friend has a server with more than enough space, but if traffic becomes high, I might have to switch hosts, or emphasize the offline version.

by the way, 1.0.5.0 is out as of now. the full character added was Ness! buzzoing

Seanson

Smash Ace
could you be more specific about the problem?

for sheik: which attacks have white frames in them?

for ness: what doesnt work? does it load?

also, what browser are you using?

important edit: the link in the first post was to the old server which doesnt have all of sheik finished, or any of ness or samus, which would explain why you were having troubles. i only put the new link in my sig, and not on page 1. well i fixed that, so if the new link is still giving you problems, answer the above questions.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
could you be more specific about the problem?

for sheik: which attacks have white frames in them?

for ness: what doesnt work? does it load?

also, what browser are you using?

important edit: the link in the first post was to the old server which doesnt have all of sheik finished, or any of ness or samus, which would explain why you were having troubles. i only put the new link in my sig, and not on page 1. well i fixed that, so if the new link is still giving you problems, answer the above questions.
I use like 7 or 8 computers because of my work, and some of them have all of this work fine, while others juts have nothing but white frames. You get the first set of a jab animation for a character, and anything else is just white frames. Using IE 6.0 and Firefox both.

petre

Smash Lord
hey, as its loading, if you hit play, the frame number counts through (what i think...) the frames that it has loaded so far.(to see what i mean, go select a char and a move that you havent loaded yet, turn on 1x speed and looping, then hit play, every time it goes through it will stop at a higher number.) so why not have it so the slider and frame number follow the loading, i.e. every time it loads the next image, move the slider and counter up, so you have a loading bar type thing. then youll know how long its going to take (estimate at least...)

EDIT: oh and you might want to make the box for the frame number a little bigger, so when its 100+ the numbers dont hit the side...(theres no way to center the numbers in the box is there...?)

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
great stuff dude. this is a really cool idea. i believe there are plenty of frame data lists floating around on the DC hub that i thikn mew2king or superdoodleman did (or someone else i don't know)

Seanson

Smash Ace
petre, i have ansolutely no idea why the slider acts that way. the slider's maximum is set as soon as you initially select the attack. one of these days i'll fix that slider for sure. i'll try to add a loading % indicator. and for centering the frame numbers in that box... hah that box is just a rectangle i drew in. heck i could probably get rid of it altogether. maybe that would look dumb, well i can stretch it if i need to.

gamerguitarist7: yeah i know about all the frame lists. superdoodleman is my brother :) . the annoying part is searching through the frame data and finding what i need for each attack

: falcon is next for me, but I will be busy so I probably wont get him done until sunday evening at the earliest. sometime before then, jigglypuff will be added courtesy of petre! Stay tuned!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ice Climbers would be nice ^_^

And Ness/Sheik both seem to be not working. Are they just in the downloadable version?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ness and sheik both work for me online, you wouldnt happen to be using firefox, would you?
nope. IE 6.0

Java fully updated

Working fine now. Before Sheik was all white, and ness said no frames had been loaded. weirdness.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I would just like to thank you for adding Ness to your system. That helped my guide SOOO much.

Thanks.

Top Bottom