• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
what does one suggest I do to rid of these bugs?
To be honest, it sounds like there's a problem with the SD card/USB you're using to run the game, but getting a fresh Melee 1.02 ISO and rebuilding SDR 3.2.1 is a good step to try before messing with hardware.

D

Deleted member

Oh my flippin' gosh! I didn't realize you could use this on memory cards now. So freakin' sweet, man. Good job, guys.

-edit-

YOU GUYS MADE ZELDA SASSY AS ****!

OMG I CAN PLAY AS ZELDA IN MELEE FOR ONCE! AWW YEAHHHHH!

I'll bring this up to my locals on Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
ok so finally I got time to repatch the game....

using the XUIpach with a 1.02 copy of melee the patch was successful...go to load the game on custom usb loader mios dios.... game not working "fatal error apploader size is zero"

why is this? it worked so well via the old patching method...

it must be because I'm STILL using mios dios- it works really well with a a standard iso and can red root/sys folders well. I updated my usb loader GX from r1208 to r1256 but the problems still there- I gotta stick to these DM files to run the game, I'm unfamiliar with nintendont or other ways and a modded patch ISO won't seem to fly with mios dios

memory card version works wonders though. sometimes I see some animations revert to vmelee but rebooting the game should solve the problem- develop SDRlite more for sure! such an awesome breakthrough in melee hacking memory card exploits are. I tried playing though single player and my game still can't go to the credits after the trophy falls down- yet the game worked fine in 3.1.... why is it doing this? what could be triggering it

april 2016 update: well I managed to run the patcher and found my problem with the full iso- I needed to rename it "game.iso" while it was in the folder for usb loader GX to see it. works and now can beat the game no problem- heck I actually have sd remix and 20XX as 2 separate games on my flash drive. had to force NTSC in usb loader GX for 20XX otherwise it would load black and white..

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Would it be possible to have switchable vMelee/SDR characters like 20XX 4.0 beta, or will that be infringing on Achilles' rights?

I feel like it can help with adjusting between characters.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Ah, it's been a long time since I've posted in this thread.
I actually have a surprise for all of you: a new version of SD Remix was already released. It's pretty much in its final stages. Except it's under a completely new title:

Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code 1.07

I look forward to facing you all in the battlefield.

obv :012:

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Ah, it's been a long time since I've posted in this thread.
I actually have a surprise for all of you: a new version of SD Remix was already released. It's pretty much in its final stages. Except it's under a completely new title:

Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code 1.07

I look forward to facing you all in the battlefield.

obv :012:
Never change, Butterfree. Never change.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I held a small SDR tournament in my apartment this weekend. I'll be uploading videos tonight and tomorrow of the matches to this playlist. There's lots of footage of Link; and some Ness, Bowser, Young Link, Kirby, Mario, Luigi, Ganon, and Samus.

Here's the bracket. Back4Melee=Baka4Moe, LinkMaster69=Bravo.

Baka4Moe is 2nd on the GA PR. He played high tiers the whole time, I guess because he really wanted the $10 XD Bravo is a local vMelee Link main.

Bombar

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if you can export a stage like Whispy's Battleground to 20XX or any of the omega stages? Dying to get those stages but none of my friends will play sdr with me and I can't find any downloads for just the stages anywhere.

Itaru

MasterGanon
* Glitches listed[/code]

Note: List is not exhaustive. Likelihood more item-related animation glitches may be present.

Note 2: Most of these animation glitches do ***NOT*** affect gameplay for these characters (i.e. the cooldown of these actions is not affected)

Those that ***DO*** affect gameplay are in all caps and bold

- Bowser :bowsermelee: (Connecting hitbox on ground Down-B)
* Dash Item Throw animation slowed down
* Smash Item Throw Up (Ground) animation slowed down
* BEAM SWORD JAB RANGE DECREASED (DUE TO ANIMATION SLOWDOWN)

* Ray Gun shot (Ground) animation slowed down
* Fire Flower shot (Ground) animation slowed down
* Fire Flower shot (Air) animation slowed down
* Super Scope charging animation (Ground) slowed down
* Super Scope shooting animation (Ground) slowed down
* Super Scope charging animation (Air) slowed down
* Super Scope shooting animation (Air) slowed down

- Mario :mariomelee: (U-air frame 6 hitbox mask)
* Smash Item Throw Forward (Ground) animation slowed down
* Smash Item Throw Forward (Air) has no animation
* Smash Item Throw Back (Air) has no animation
* BEAM SWORD F-SMASH RANGE DECREASED (DUE TO ANIMATION SLOWDOWN)

- Mewtwo :mewtwomelee: (moving Up-B invinciblity from frame 8 to frame 4)
* None yet discovered

- Ness :nessmelee: (leftovers of PSI Magnet hitbox change)
* Tilt Item Throw Up (Air) animation slowed down
* BEAM SWORD F-SMASH RANGE DECREASED (DUE TO ANIMATION SLOWDOWN)

- Yoshi :yoshimelee: (Connecting hitbox on ground Down-B)
* Smash Item Throw Up (Air) animation slowed down
* Smash Item Throw Forward (Ground) animation slowed down
* Smash Item Throw Back (Ground) animation slowed down
* BEAM SWORD JAB RANGE DECREASED (DUE TO ANIMATION SLOWDOWN)
* BEAM SWORD DASH RANGE DECREASED (DUE TO ANIMATION SLOWDOWN)

* Yoshi's second hitbox on Dash Attack removed by mistake.

- Zelda :zeldamelee: (landing Nair hitbox)
* Landing with Nair causes electrical sparks
* Soft landing animation slowed down[/spoiler]
About "ANIMATION SLOWDOWN",
http://smashboards.com/posts/20579983/

Kekker

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know the code to make Kirby's forward and back throws inescapable?

EDIT: So I found a few things in Start.dol, but I don't know how to get them to work correctly.

1) The mash timer for the throws is at 0xDADC0 in v1.00, and 0xDB20C in v1.02. I tried changing EC 01 00 28 (the timer) to 60 00 00 00 (to nop the timer), but instead of being inescapable the two throws just never grab the other character in the first place.

2) I also wanted to allow Kirby to jump after f/b/u throws. The address for the jumps is 0x79FB0 in v1.00, and 0x7A24C in v1.02. I again tried changing 98 7E 19 68 (the jump delete thing) to 60 00 00 00 (to nop the deleted jumps), and again I got some weird behavior. Kirby reacts to jumping out of the throw now, but it's not really a jump. Kirby goes through the jump animation, then keeps floating upwards instead of coming back down. He floats to the blast zone and crashes the game.

What should I be changing the code to? The nop function clearly isn't working.

All of my testing was done in v1.02. I had found the codes for v1.00 and did a search in the v1.02 Start.dol to find the codes there.

Last edited:

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
wow its been quiet here lately.

some feedback, mixed feelings within region... a find a lot of people hardly notice the difference when i load lite, except Roy and Samus up smash... isn't it like a bomb? isn't it a bit much?

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
wow its been quiet here lately.

some feedback, mixed feelings within region... a find a lot of people hardly notice the difference when i load lite, except Roy and Samus up smash... isn't it like a bomb? isn't it a bit much?

Both are pretty laggy and they are not nearly as strong as Bomb-Ombs (I'm assuming that's what you're comparing them to), which would kill anywhere around ~50% IIRC. Honestly I don't see it used much (Can only really say this for Roy) because of the big lag on it, and it usually doesn't kill until around 100%.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
Both are pretty laggy and they are not nearly as strong as Bomb-Ombs (I'm assuming that's what you're comparing them to), which would kill anywhere around ~50% IIRC. Honestly I don't see it used much (Can only really say this for Roy) because of the big lag on it, and it usually doesn't kill until around 100%.
really? not slow enough ...I think the normal up smashes just need to be tuned.

can we put in the CPU updates from 20XX 4.05?

Last edited:

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
really? not slow enough ...I think the normal up smashes just need to be tuned.

can we put in the CPU updates from 20XX 4.05?
Not 100% sure if this info is accurate, but assuming strong hits are landed:

Fox Up-Smash
Damage: 18%
BKB: 30
KB Growth: 112

[SDR] Samus Up-Smash
Damage: Foot+Explosion = 19%; Explosion only = 17%
BKB: 50
KB Growth: 88

[SDR] Roy Up-Smash
Damage: Foot + Explosion = 21%; Explosion only = 17%
BKB: 73
KB Growth: 80
---

Using this data, I can conclude that Fox's up smash is muuuuch better than these two, not to mention that Fox's upsmash takes up less frames (~41) than either of the others.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Question about possible developement: is it possible to apply the same code used to L-cancel aerials, and apply it to special moves?

While the heart of that change has already been performed on some certain special moves, it would be pretty interesting to apply it more universally and begin balancing the game from that standpoint.

Obviously not all special moves could be L-cancelled easily [moves that continue while grounded, or moves that go into free fall before the ground might be more complicated] but any move that goes seamlessly into the landing state from the air or any move that has a special landing animation could be made L-cancelable, and perhaps some characters would gain enough from that where some of their more superficial buffs could be pulled back a little bit.

It would certainly make for a more interesting tagline than just "landing lag on Falcon kick reduced", though--"many special moves now L-cancelable" might get more people to mess around with SD Remix, maybe.

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
I don't know... Something like that is a pretty large change to Melee's mechanics, and doesn't seem to fit with the spirit of the game, which is to leave Melee's engine untouched and only rebalance characters.

I understand where you're coming from, but people (from my experience) seem to like the fact that it's just like Melee engine-wise, just with stronger low tiers.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps, but it really comes down to whether or not "it's just like Melee" would be destroyed in their minds by L-cancelled specials. It really comes down to the people that are still playing SD Remix, but I think it would be strange for them to think that way when it's already an extremely Melee concept to say "you should be able to place an input that reduces landing lag" [one that is simply not consistently applied, as seen by how many special moves it would fit perfectly fine with, and yet it was decided to only have aerials L-cancel] that we would just be applying to the special moves that were only not L-cancelable due to Nintendo not wanting some moves be L-cancelable and some to not be. [even though they did the same with certain of G&W's aerials, which was fixed in SD Remix]

And considering the landing lag/cooldown reductions to certain specials, such as Falcon/Ganon's down-b, Pikachu's Thunder, Pichu's Thunder, Yoshi Bomb, Bowser Bomb, Ness's PK Fire would people have claimed [if it had been made L-cancelable instead] this to be too big of a change from the Melee engine, even though the end result would have almost identical to the changes in ending lag that are a part of the current edition of SD Remix anyway? Also notice that making them L-cancelable is more in line with the actual competitive design of Melee [inputs to reduce lag] and also would "feel" more like Melee to the people who are used to L-canceling their most useful moves anyway.

Not to mention that, if characters gain great tools in their neutral and combo game just from being able to L-cancel them, then their character design can begin to be pulled back to feel more like their Melee counterpart, but simply with more viable tools to use.

Again, that all depends on whether or not such a change is possible [how much more complex is it than being able to make G&W's aerials L-cancelable?] and whether the players would enjoy it. [I'm fairly certain that I would, though]

Last edited:

N00B64

Smash Cadet
Edit: never mind, figured out my issue. thanks for the hard work you've put into making this project, its really fun.

Last edited:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
O'right I'm going to pour my heart out a bit. I really like SD Remix and I find it fun. I'm been going around and showcasing it to top players are their unanimous opinion about the game is that the characters are badly designed. I was fooling around with the latest 20XX with SDR Roy. Then I decided to try out the vanilla Roy and he actually felt like a better designed, much more intricate and refined character (even though he sucks).

Here's the thing, I'm starting to agree with them and seeing how the character design in SD Remix is simply not up to par with Melee top tiers. I'm not a good player, so I'm having difficulties pinpointing exactly why SDR characters feel so badly designed compared to their vanilla counterparts (even though their vanilla versions are worse). Only way I can describe the difference is that SDR chars feel somewhat "janky". I'm wondering if others have had similar experiences?

Now, in order for the low tiers to be designed well to fair better you would need tons of top player feedback. Not only that, you would need the input of good low tier players also in order to design these characters well. I feel SDR characters lack depth when it comes to vanilla characters. The changes made to them feel very drastic and rough, without much thought.

Then there's the issue of audience. Most people prefer Melee the way it is, which is understandable. People who play low-tiers enjoy them despite their characters' flaws. So whenever you ask the question of how character x ought to be changed for him to be better you're met with the question of "why would you want to change them?".

In short I feel like SDR characters would need to go through a complete overhaul, and very careful redesign process in order to be more appealing. idk

Quillion

Smash Hero
O'right I'm going to pour my heart out a bit. I really like SD Remix and I find it fun. I'm been going around and showcasing it to top players are their unanimous opinion about the game is that the characters are badly designed. I was fooling around with the latest 20XX with SDR Roy. Then I decided to try out the vanilla Roy and he actually felt like a better designed, much more intricate and refined character (even though he sucks).

Here's the thing, I'm starting to agree with them and seeing how the character design in SD Remix is simply not up to par with Melee top tiers. I'm not a good player, so I'm having difficulties pinpointing exactly why SDR characters feel so badly designed compared to their vanilla counterparts (even though their vanilla versions are worse). Only way I can describe the difference is that SDR chars feel somewhat "janky". I'm wondering if others have had similar experiences?

Now, in order for the low tiers to be designed well to fair better you would need tons of top player feedback. Not only that, you would need the input of good low tier players also in order to design these characters well. I feel SDR characters lack depth when it comes to vanilla characters. The changes made to them feel very drastic and rough, without much thought.

Then there's the issue of audience. Most people prefer Melee the way it is, which is understandable. People who play low-tiers enjoy them despite their characters' flaws. So whenever you ask the question of how character x ought to be changed for him to be better you're met with the question of "why would you want to change them?".

In short I feel like SDR characters would need to go through a complete overhaul, and very careful redesign process in order to be more appealing. idk
Of course it's rough. Without the audience, there's very little legitimate feedback that could refine the game. This whole project is based around a lot of rough conjecture, especially since low-tier mains for Melee are starting to get more and more left by the wayside.

Another issue is that SDR tries to balance around keeping the top tier chars the same. In fact, I think that's probably a core problem in itself: the fact that pretty much all of them are Fragile Speedsters not only them a massive edge over the other characters, but also makes them require a lot of technical play to keep up with their speedy stats. Sure, I think with our current level of Melee hacking advancement, someone could make some pretty "jank" abilities that allow characters some new waveshine-tier tech in terms of both skill requirement and effectiveness, but it would require sweeping changes to the character that goes against the idea of a fanmade balance patch such as this.

I come over to this site in general very rarely nowadays, but I think get what you mean when the characters aren't well designed. I actually asked that when I got into this mod: "How is the skill/reward ratio in this game?" I'm pretty sure that's what you mean when you want the characters to be better designed: skill/reward ratio is a much more integral to fun than balance is. Hell, if TVTropes is to be believed, even Project M suffered from having too much reward for too little skill (at least in earlier builds).

I think there needs to be a separate mod that completely overhauls characters in favor of skill/reward ratio instead of balance. But for SDR itself, which I still do like? It should stay focused on balancing first.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but there's a few Falcon bugs I found. The most annoying one that keeps me playing OG Falcon is you can airdodge in the middle of your up+B. This has killed me a few times, since occasionally I'll press R and try to smash DI into the stage and tech the ledge if someone's trying to edgeguard me. The second isn't really a bug, it's just not listed on the moveset changes for him, but his down+b on the ground isn't Falcon Kick anymore. Not really against the new move or anything, just haven't played around enough.

Also, not super happy with the changes they made to Link. I'm glad he's faster, but I think his range is out of control and his projectiles are fast enough that he becomes pretty campy to play against. Nothing a little patience can't fix, but I feel like the mechanics shouldn't reward campy playing. It just becomes way too reminiscent of Brawl. His up-smash in particular has too much range and the hits have a sort of Peach d-smash vacuum effect, giving Link two really spammy moves aside from his projectiles: up+b and up-smash. I noticed a huge difference when my roommate (who doesn't play Melee much) went from OG Link to SD Link. He was just as spammy as before in his play-style, but a lot more moves hit, have very little lag, and very easy followups. Both situations are me vs. a button masher, but it's definitely harder to teach someone that you can't just get by that way when they have an okay time getting by that way. Obviously a good player can still get around all that, but I'd like to see Melee continue to be a game that rewards smart choices and not just using the same moves.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but there's a few Falcon bugs I found. The most annoying one that keeps me playing OG Falcon is you can airdodge in the middle of your up+B. This has killed me a few times, since occasionally I'll press R and try to smash DI into the stage and tech the ledge if someone's trying to edgeguard me. The second isn't really a bug, it's just not listed on the moveset changes for him, but his down+b on the ground isn't Falcon Kick anymore. Not really against the new move or anything, just haven't played around enough.
This is not SD Remix and is my personal Falcon file, that I never really spelled out as being mine in the Hack Pack yet. Airdodging as Falcon in his Up-B is a new mechanic and recovery option I added, but I did predict teching was going to be an issue. I just never got around to actually testing it trying to find a workaround, so I just left it as is.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
This is not SD Remix and is my personal Falcon file, that I never really spelled out as being mine in the Hack Pack yet. Airdodging as Falcon in his Up-B is a new mechanic and recovery option I added, but I did predict teching was going to be an issue. I just never got around to actually testing it trying to find a workaround, so I just left it as is.
Gotcha. Maybe make it so that you can airdodge at the very end of the up+b, since timing for teching would be a little before that? Just spitballing. Not sure how difficult that would be. I'm very interested to see how SD Remix and other changes to characters change the game. I'm hoping it keeps being Melee in terms of the depth of the game, but seeing more characters being viable is pretty great!

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
I come over to this site in general very rarely nowadays, but I think get what you mean when the characters aren't well designed. I actually asked that when I got into this mod: "How is the skill/reward ratio in this game?" I'm pretty sure that's what you mean when you want the characters to be better designed: skill/reward ratio is a much more integral to fun than balance is. Hell, if TVTropes is to be believed, even Project M suffered from having too much reward for too little skill (at least in earlier builds).

I think there needs to be a separate mod that completely overhauls characters in favor of skill/reward ratio instead of balance. But for SDR itself, which I still do like? It should stay focused on balancing first.
Obviously I think that it's too late for SDR to go down this route, but I would like to have seen a mod that did the following:
  1. Apply all the non-controversial [read: Marth dair] PAL balance changes.
  2. If a move wasn't SDI-able in 1.0, then give that move a particularly low SDI-modifier.
  3. If a special move has a landing animation, then let that animation be L-cancelable.
  4. If a special move does not have a landing animation, then let the move be L-cancelable [with the exception of most up-specials] such that, if the move is successfully L-cancelled, then the animation is halved but throws out no hitboxes. [there are some exceptions that could be discussed... any move that doesn't throw out hitboxes after landing would probably not be made L-cancelable]
  5. If any characters have any painful or even fatal issues, then resolve them. Moves with terrible startup, moves with terrible ending lag, moves with nonsensical hitboxes [including when hurtboxes extend past hitboxes], characters with terrible shields, characters with terrible hurtboxes, etc.
(1) so that Sheik isn't as big a problem to the rest of the cast with chaingrabbing, Fox is slightly less centralizing, etc.
(2) out of the fact that 1.0 had been considered a legitimate version of Melee in NA for a while, and it shouldn't be an issue to reflect that.
(3) out of the design philosophy of Melee regarding being able to cancel landing lag.
(4) is a possible extrapolation of (3) such that the only thing that changes is how much landing lag a move has, rather than just making it work faster when performed after landing from the air.
(5) is obvious; if there's still something about the character that is pretty much universally regarding as being silly, then resolve the issue so that it's not getting in the character's way of being viable.

I feel like this, as a whole, would result in a Melee modification [which I would call "LC Remix" for "L-Cancel Remix"] that gives all characters more options without having to change much of what makes the character what they are right now, but instead allows them to build a strategy that could revolve more around the moves that make them them--their special moves. [as well as taking what made low tiers better in both 1.0 and PAL]

Not to mention that this would also give some of the mid/top tiers something to play around with instead of just telling them "hey, we're not changing you much/at all other than to give you 15+ more matchups to have to learn", which isn't very appealing-sounding.

Last edited:

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Obviously I think that it's too late for SDR to go down this route, but I would like to have seen a mod that did the following:
  1. Apply all the non-controversial [read: Marth dair] PAL balance changes.
  2. If a move wasn't SDI-able in 1.0, then give that move a particularly low SDI-modifier.
  3. If a special move has a landing animation, then let that animation be L-cancelable.
  4. If a special move does not have a landing animation, then let the move be L-cancelable [with the exception of most up-specials] such that, if the move is successfully L-cancelled, then the animation is halved but throws out no hitboxes. [there are some exceptions that could be discussed... any move that doesn't throw out hitboxes after landing would probably not be made L-cancelable]
  5. If any characters have any painful or even fatal issues, then resolve them. Moves with terrible startup, moves with terrible ending lag, moves with nonsensical hitboxes [including when hurtboxes extend past hitboxes], characters with terrible shields, characters with terrible hurtboxes, etc.
(1) so that Sheik isn't as big a problem to the rest of the cast with chaingrabbing, Fox is slightly less centralizing, etc.
(2) out of the fact that 1.0 had been considered a legitimate version of Melee in NA for a while, and it shouldn't be an issue to reflect that.
(3) out of the design philosophy of Melee regarding being able to cancel landing lag.
(4) is a possible extrapolation of (3) such that the only thing that changes is how much landing lag a move has, rather than just making it work faster when performed after landing from the air.
(5) is obvious; if there's still something about the character that is pretty much universally regarding as being silly, then resolve the issue so that it's not getting in the character's way of being viable.

I feel like this, as a whole, would result in a Melee modification [which I would call "LC Remix" for "L-Cancel Remix"] that gives all characters more options without having to change much of what makes the character what they are right now, but instead allows them to build a strategy that could revolve more around the moves that make them them--their special moves. [as well as taking what made low tiers better in both 1.0 and PAL]

Not to mention that this would also give some of the mid/top tiers something to play around with instead of just telling them "hey, we're not changing you much/at all other than to give you 15+ more matchups to have to learn", which isn't very appealing-sounding.
I'm not sure simply adding extra l-cancels would really balance out the whole game. Some characters have intrinsic issues such as G&W's shield that make them less viable players. Some of the buffs that were added in this version were definitely helpful at making them more viable, but it definitely needs to be done with caution. Just because a character wins more often doesn't mean the character is balanced. The massive buffs to Link mentioned earlier I felt detracted from him being a balanced character since he now has a lot of cop out options, similar to how Peach has a d-smash, Marth has f-smash, et cetera. Link's upsmash now has huge range, his f-tilt has a lot of power and hits at a similar angle to Sheik's f-air, his arrows can kill at high percent (which I thought was exceptionally crazy). But I felt like some other characters either needed more help or were well balanced in the new version. The new G&W I felt was a solid character, and I can't imagine him needing a ton more changes, same with Bowser. I felt that Zelda is MUCH better, but still needs help with her movement. Her floatiness to speed to power ratio is a bit off. In tight scenarios, it's very challenging to have any fast, safe options for her that open up combo or kill opportunities. However the addition of an attack at the end of her up+B was much needed, her amplified Din's fire I think was helpful and not too overpowered or crazy. The d-air being an electric kick too was a welcome change. I think SD Remix has a good thing going so far, and with all changes, it'll take time to get perfect for sure. I can't imagine swapping out all of the benefits for simply more l-cancels. Honestly, I think the landing lag reductions being automatic on certain moves isn't a huge deal. The extra effort of hitting L to shorten the lag for Ganon's down+B I think is not necessary to add. His shortened lag time I think adds extra viability that he already needed.

As opposed to saying "the characters aren't well designed," maybe we can think of ways to better design the characters. Any thoughts on which SD characters need changes and what those might be?

TL;DR: SD Remix isn't perfect but it's on a great track and I'm really excited to see how it develops!

Last edited:

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure simply adding extra l-cancels would really balance out the whole game.
Neither am I; but it's something that's never been tried, and one should at least be able to see that this means that all characters get more viable options in neutral and advantage states. I feel like it should go without saying that providing more options must increase game balance, provided that it doesn't result in a character that is brokenly dominant.

Some characters have intrinsic issues such as G&W's shield that make them less viable players.
I accounted for this fact in part (5) of the last post that I made. If a character is broken by one aspect of the character, then that ought to be resolved. I don't disagree on that, and I feel like that would have to be a part of any LC Remix.

I can't imagine swapping out all of the benefits for simply more l-cancels.
OK. I was talking about a hypothetical LC Remix, and if SD Remix doesn't want to add more L-cancels, then that's their prerogative; they could keep their "benefits", janky or no. I believe that not adding L-canceling specials is to result in more janky design than otherwise, but I lack an LC Remix to appeal to as evidence, unfortunately.

Honestly, I think the landing lag reductions being automatic on certain moves isn't a huge deal.
I don't have a problem with it at all. My point in mentioning it was to say that SD Remix has already made it a part of their policy that they ought to reduce the landing lag on special moves, and so the concept of L-canceling specials shouldn't be rejected because that policy has already been put into place in effect, just not universally over all specials.

The extra effort of hitting L to shorten the lag for Ganon's down+B I think is not necessary to add. His shortened lag time I think adds extra viability that he already needed.
If you're going to make this argument, then why not just make all L-canceling automatic in SD Remix? None of it is necessary, it's all an unnecessary adding to how many inputs are needed for competitive play.

I don't see this as being an important issue because, as I've already said, I have no issue with [what is effectively] automatic L-canceling on the specials that have already had it applied to them.

Last edited:

N00B64

Smash Cadet
do you guys have any sort of list of cheats that were added into the start.dol that aren't present in the meleecodemanager?
I'm trying to the menu from the melee netplay community build into SD remix, but the only way to have the files matchup correctly is with the start.dol from the community build (unless I magicly find out what code lables the stages correctly to work with it).

thanks in advance even if you can't help me, this has been bugging me for the past month and I really have a hard time figuring it out for myself due to the debug version of dolphin straight up not working for me, and its extremely hard to check for differences in a file.

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Can someone here shoot me up with a fully patched ISO? I've been playing Lite for awhile now and would like to try the full thing. Unfortunately, I have no way of doing any sort of file patching at the moment. If you could, thanks!

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
I don't see why not. Can't make new animations in Melee hacking AFAIK yet.

V_D_X

Smash Cadet
Hey, I was messing around with G&W and I think I found a bug. If you land after frames 18 to 20 of his neutral B, the frying pan hitbox isn't removed, allowing the hitbox to stay active for the duration of the landing animation. If you're given time to set it up, you might be able to do some crazy things with it, considering you can cancel the landing animation into whatever you want.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I was messing around with G&W and I think I found a bug. If you land after frames 18 to 20 of his neutral B, the frying pan hitbox isn't removed
It's indeed a bug found early on in SDR's life, but will be left in. Enjoy! Find some cool utilities for it!

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
How could SD Remix be improved? I'm too lazy/occupied to do anything but throw out ideas. The "balanced" cast may need a complete overhaul and I was thinking of contacting the best low tier mains to in order to get good input (even though they probably love their chars the way they are and hate SDR). In any way it would be intersting to know what they think. Getting top player input would be even better but not likely.

Kirby:

Triple R

Roy:

Sethlon, Pyro (darkoblivion on sb)

Bowser:

Nobody plays Bowser

Pichu:

Mmm, don't know any Pichus

Yoshi (arguably fine in vanilla):

Amsa, v3ctorman

DK:

Erm...Phis-it?