• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A [SBRanks] Feedback Thread

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer

Welcome to the Smashboards Rankings Feedback Thread. The new system was implemented in 08/28/2015. As you might expect, changes to the previous system were plentiful. I'm sure many of you have suggestions, or observations you made that raised some questions you'd like answered. Feel free to post those here.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
The points distribution is really good. Though I must say there's an issue with events that have less than 25 entrants, where everyone gets points regardless.

Everything else is spot on, though. Great job to everyone involved

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
There is not enough weight given to placing well at high-level events. For example, the points you get from winning a regional is the same as placing Top 6 at EVO, and winning a 64-man local is as good as getting Top 12 at EVO, which is ridiculous. This is because the point spread doesn't scale with the size of the tournament. The spread should be adjusted so that emphasis on put on how high you placed as a whole, not what specific place you got. Right now 5th/6th gets 48%~50% of the base point value of the tournament, regardless of the size. Placing Top 6 at a 300-man tournament makes you the top 2% of the tournament while Top 6 at a 64-man local only makes you the top 9.4%. Being top 9.4% actually corresponds to being Top 32 at a 300-man tourney.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
There is not enough weight given to placing well at high-level events. For example, the points you get from winning a regional is the same as placing Top 6 at EVO, and winning a 64-man local is as good as getting Top 12 at EVO, which is ridiculous. This is because the point spread doesn't scale with the size of the tournament. The spread should be adjusted so that emphasis on put on how high you placed as a whole, not what specific place you got. Right now 5th/6th gets 48%~50% of the base point value of the tournament, regardless of the size. Placing Top 6 at a 300-man tournament makes you the top 2% of the tournament while Top 6 at a 64-man local only makes you the top 9.4%. Being top 9.4% actually corresponds to being Top 32 at a 300-man tourney.
Ehhhhh good point

Malachi Allen

Smash Rookie
One problem I have is tournaments with two stages. When we have tournaments at Santa Barbara we usually do two stage so getting 1st out of 33 people is way different than 1st out of 16. Also why aren't tournaments like Mayhem and SSS up? Does SB not support Smash.gg?

Last edited:

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
thank you guys for the feedback, please keep leaving it. we're going to collect a mass of comments/questions to think about before addressing any one thing in particular

also a quick note: the SBRanks are going to be (and have been) shuffling around a bit as we implement some small fixes and improve categorization

Also why aren't tournaments like Mayhem and SSS up? Does SB not support Smash.gg?
smashgg does not have an API yet, but even when they do we will have to wait until xenforo supports it (probably not that long). They can currently output csv only. Uploaders can still manually build a bracket using the tools in "Upload", or recreate it in challonge and then upload

Last edited:

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
Is there a way to do an character advanced search and set a maximum value? I'd like to do some smash related analysis but can only query with a minimum value for tournament sizes

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Is there a way to do an character advanced search and set a maximum value? I'd like to do some smash related analysis but can only query with a minimum value for tournament sizes
Could you expand on this topic? Im not quite sure what you are asking.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
Could you expand on this topic? Im not quite sure what you are asking.
Sure! When you go to the rankings page where it shows all the best players for each game, you can select "characters" under one of the games and it will show a bar chart of character usage, which could be further filtered to top 16, top 8, and top 1 (ie wins). If you use the "advanced search function" on the right of the screen it allows for additional constraints such as time frame, top rank, and min value. However, this min value represents an "uncapped" search if you will, meaning from one value "and up".

For example if I query for Smash Wii U, top rank = 8, Date = 07-30-2015 to present, Min rank = 300, then I will get a filtered result of all character placements in top 8 cut from tournaments rated 300 or higher in for the most recent patch. My question is is there a way to set an upper boundary to exclude results from larger tournaments such as nationals? So to reference my example, is it possible to make a search for character placement results from tournaments rated between 300 and 700?

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Sure! When you go to the rankings page where it shows all the best players for each game, you can select "characters" under one of the games and it will show a bar chart of character usage, which could be further filtered to top 16, top 8, and top 1 (ie wins). If you use the "advanced search function" on the right of the screen it allows for additional constraints such as time frame, top rank, and min value. However, this min value represents an "uncapped" search if you will, meaning from one value "and up".

For example if I query for Smash Wii U, top rank = 8, Date = 07-30-2015 to present, Min rank = 300, then I will get a filtered result of all character placements in top 8 cut from tournaments rated 300 or higher in for the most recent patch. My question is is there a way to set an upper boundary to exclude results from larger tournaments such as nationals? So to reference my example, is it possible to make a search for character placement results from tournaments rated between 300 and 700?
Currently no, however I'll make sure to tell the Xentorneo creator this feedback so he can add that field in a future update.

RedSunEternal

Smash Rookie
I'm experiencing the blank challonge issue on my tournament MSBW #3, if you could remove it so I can try to re-upload it please. :)

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I'm experiencing the blank challonge issue on my tournament MSBW #3, if you could remove it so I can try to re-upload it please. :)
Got ya. Part of the annoyance of Challonge moving images to a new format (or something along those lines I'm told). Give it a try again and if it doesn't work, send me a PM with the Challonge url and I'll see it gets up myself.

RedSunEternal

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot! Will do!

EDIT: Yeah, it did it again. I'm just going to manually type in the results and maybe that will be good enough for now?

Last edited:

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
I deleted the bracket. Try again. If it doesn't work after you try, PM me the challonge bracket and I'll upload it for you.
Ok, it's worth noting that a mod had already deleted it when I tried this time

Leomupi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Leomupi
Switch FC
SW 6062 3867 5605
I heard sub leagues were coming soon, but I believe I heard that a couple months ago. I just wanted to see if there was an estimated time it might be done. I've told my region that soon we will be doing rankings for all the players in the region instead of just making a top 10, but soon is relative and I just wanted to know what the ETA might be or if there is one yet. I wasn't sure where to ask this as I don't use the forums much yet.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I heard sub leagues were coming soon, but I believe I heard that a couple months ago. I just wanted to see if there was an estimated time it might be done. I've told my region that soon we will be doing rankings for all the players in the region instead of just making a top 10, but soon is relative and I just wanted to know what the ETA might be or if there is one yet. I wasn't sure where to ask this as I don't use the forums much yet.
We still have to create a guide walking through the whole process but the feature has already been implemented.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Where can you find Brackets you've uploaded that you don't have the link for before they're finalized? I just tried to upload a bracket, and got a "server is busy, try again later" error, but when I tried to reupload it later, it says "this bracket has already been imported" even though I was never taken to an event page for it.

Leomupi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Leomupi
Switch FC
SW 6062 3867 5605
Where can you find Brackets you've uploaded that you don't have the link for before they're finalized? I just tried to upload a bracket, and got a "server is busy, try again later" error, but when I tried to reupload it later, it says "this bracket has already been imported" even though I was never taken to an event page for it.
I had to search through the Queue page to find mine. I think they should be listed in the Your Content page or somewhere else that is fitting. (Edit: when I say should I meant that as a suggestion)

We still have to create a guide walking through the whole process but the feature has already been implemented.
That's fantastic news! I tried to create a sub league myself but it seems the button on the rankings page has restricted usage. It says:
Smashboards - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.
I guess you might've meant working on the admin side only. ;(

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That's fantastic news! I tried to create a sub league myself but it seems the button on the rankings page has restricted usage. It says:
Smashboards - Error
I guess you might've meant working on the admin side only. ;(
Hm, I'll have to research this. Remind me in a few days.
Been having trouble uploading this bracket correctly: http://smashboards.com/rankings/wdw-melee-10-28-15.9671/event

Same with my friend, he's been getting errors as well: http://smashboards.com/rankings/zotsmash-biweekly-9.9670/event

Help us out pls.
Deleted the empty brackets. Try again and report back.

Leomupi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Leomupi
Switch FC
SW 6062 3867 5605
Can a mod delete this bracket? I decided to wait a bit longer before I start submitting brackets to smashboards.

SlickJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlickJ95
Hey, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I've submitted an online tournament so people could get ranked, how do I know when it's been uploaded publicly?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I've submitted an online tournament so people could get ranked, how do I know when it's been uploaded publicly?
The tournament first appears in the queue and a Rankings Moderator has to approve it. For a tournament to be approved, the players that attended need to claim their results and indicate the characters utilized. To correctly submit tournaments, read the following:
http://smashboards.com/threads/updated-11-01-2015-rankings-guideline-forum-q-a.401862/

Finally, online tournaments, as well as tournaments with less than 8 players, fall under the un-ranked category. This means that players don't receive points for participating in these.

okFancy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0018-2438-0044
claims bug: when I edit my claimed results to add a character to it, it removes me from that claimed spot, so I have to reclaim it.

wasn't sure where to post this. the submit feedback page says
Smashboards - Error

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
claims bug: when I edit my claimed results to add a character to it, it removes me from that claimed spot, so I have to reclaim it.

wasn't sure where to post this. the submit feedback page says
Smashboards - Error
You have a link to the bracket?

okFancy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0018-2438-0044
Top Bottom