• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Cruz/UCSC/831 Smash: The Chillest Villains

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Show me what you've got.

edit: Yay, I proved it to myself. I think my reasoning still made just as much sense with three characters or more because it'll be just like normal combination if any characters that match are treated as different ones. Since we can't increase the size of k, we increase the size of n. I learned the hard way many times that words don't mean much when it comes to proofs in math, but this intuition convinced me.
I worked out an actual proof that n multichoose k equals n+k-1 choose k after the tourney on Sunday. Here's a sketch:

Let X be the set of k-tuples of integers from 1 to n such that (n_1, ..., n_k) is in X iff n_1<=n_2<=...<=n_k.
Let Y be the set of k-tuples of integers from 1 to n+k-1 such that (n_1, ..., n_k) is in Y iff n_1<n_2<...<n_k.

It's straightforward to show that the size of X is n multichoose k and the size of Y is n+k-1 choose k.
Let f: X -> Y be a function that maps (n_1, ..., n_k) to ((n_1)+0, (n_2)+1, (n_3)+2, ..., (n_k)+(k-1)). It's similarly straightforward to show that f is well-defined and that f is a bijection, which yields the desired result.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
That's at least like 1.5 years old.
And that is also nealdt next to Ultra. Foxroar was next to me but cut out, forever remaining the enigma that is Foxroar. Deep Norcal.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i want to play with truman/beto tonight

what's really good
except they're being dumb and not responding
dumb heads

eating, then truman's
call me, anybody

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I'm new here... I'm a third year at UCSC and live off Western. My life needs much more smash.

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
Monday works for me too if you're going to play pretty late at night since I don't have any morning classes on Tuesday.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i'm back right now

i just realized i'm dumb, and that this is winter quarter right now and not spring
oh well

gonna take a nap probably

joeplicate

Smash Master
sheridan's house is like a block away from there

(depending on where we're gonna play)
also buses up to campus come up really often and they're like a dollar or a buck fifty

joeplicate

Smash Master
buses usually run pretty late

so the plan is, we're going to play at frotaz's place
i'm gonna go downtown at 7:30 to eat there w/ sheridan
so then we'll play until some unspecified time at night

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
I didn't expect to come back around midnight, so I'll just have a thing some other time in case you guys finish early.

Top Bottom