• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Cruz/UCSC/831 Smash: The Chillest Villains

joeplicate

Smash Master
u scurred

plus i have been awake
and i have been talking to you on aim
and why are you still posting when we are talking this very moment

joeplicate

Smash Master
so i can get a vehicle for tomorrow

this is good since i won't have to go out again tonight and stay at justin's (just got back from concord an hour ago)

who wants to go?
I'm lookin at
truman
justin
alan
kevin

look at all those "n"s all lined up in a row
where are you at

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
People who end in n are cool. Good observation, Joe. I wanna go tomorrow too, so thank you in advance. By the way, if anyone wants to play tonight, I'm up for a little smashfest, little so that we can wake up early tomorrow.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i will except myself if i **** well please in my own car

i need to get this **** together
right now it's looking like, in my car
me
kevin
francisco

i could pick up other people from san jose or whatever, but i might be staying overnight somewhere (like the dorms)

it sucks that nobody checks this thread
makes planning **** a lot harder =\

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah too bad nobody's reading smashboards at midnight

it's not like you lose if you don't fill your car though; their loss, not yours

hkt.dusk

Smash Cadet
well he loses if hes paying gas and charging each person money to try and cover the static (mostly) gas cost of the trip

joeplicate

Smash Master
NOPE

i had a great fulfilling weekend of smash
u can't have ur cake and eat it 2
get *****

kevin's the homie

i'll play tomorrow night maybe

hkt.dusk

Smash Cadet
i dont get why anyone would just Want to have a cake...
cakes were meant for eating

and im busy tomrw night =\

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
I am. By the way, Joe, I can't believe I messed up on arithmetic when I was trying to figure out how many possible teams you can have when order doesn't matter. The number of teams if both members are different characters is 26!/(2!*24!), not 26!/(2!*14!). 26 - 2 = 24, not 14. In conclusion, there are 26!/(2!*24!) + 26 = 25*26/2 + 26 = 25*13 + 26 = 351 distinct teams, which is much more believable.

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
325 + 26 = 351. I added 26 because 325 only counts only the number of teams with different characters. 26 counts the number of teams with same characters. How'd you type upside down, Truman?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The total number of teams is 26 multichoose 2, which equals 27 choose 2, which is indeed 351.

edit: Talk to me about combinatorics some time.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
There is a lot of combinatorics in Quantum Mechanics and especially Quantum Field Theory, because of symmetry factors in Feynman diagrams.

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
27 choose 2 is 27!/(2!*25!) = (26*27)/(1*2) = 13*27 = 13*(25 + 2) = 13*25 + 26. Wow, you are right! I think this works because a matching character can be treated as a distinct character, and voila, we get 27 choose 2. Truman, I still want to play tonight. Are we playing at your apartment?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
That's one way of looking at it. Things would get messier if you had something like teams with 3 characters, though.

The concept of multichoose that I mentioned earlier is really helpful for a lot of problems like this. n multichoose k can be defined as the number of ways to pick k elements from an n-element set with repetitions allowed. Conveniently, n multichoose k equals n+k-1 choose k. I can provide a sketch of a proof for this if you're interested.

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
Show me what you've got.

edit: Yay, I proved it to myself. I think my reasoning still made just as much sense with three characters or more because it'll be just like normal combination if any characters that match are treated as different ones. Since we can't increase the size of k, we increase the size of n. I learned the hard way many times that words don't mean much when it comes to proofs in math, but this intuition convinced me.

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
I know this is late, but is anyone here going to Pat's house this weekend and able to provide rides? If so, I'll help pay for gas too.

Top Bottom