• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
I'll money match on any tv that isn't noticeably laggy. Including my tv and the projecter. The lag isn't even noticeable to me. Also dr.awesome, are you on campus?

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Just because you don't notice it lags does not mean there is no lag. Where is the "projector?" Even Dante didn't want to MM you on your LCD since even he says it lags. Also who wants to team with me for the LAN Party tournament on 11-13-10? I main :peach:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
That's only fair if you are both using the same character and I do not like character restriction MMs and match up restrictions MMS. Not only that, but it takes away chances of winning belonging to people that are more technical. Even if we are both using :fox: the more technical player (who actually deserves to win) probably won't win since he cannot use his tech skill to his full potential. Scar says that the competitive nature of a game depends upon the fact that the "better" player "should" win. This is not the case when we are playing on a laggy TV. Similar to Brawl, playing on a laggy TV closes the skill gap between the better player and the worse player. There is a reason why Dante and I play Melee and not Brawl. I'm not trying to turn this thread to a Melee vs. Brawl debate, but I'm just bringing this example up since it proves my point.

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
yeah there is totally lag on a projector its just not as bad as an LCD. (to me at least)

Im actually in santa ynez. Where are you? Can you host or is there anyone who can?

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Since Dante has a technical :fox: I believe him. If he says there is lag, then there is lag. He is more sensitive to lag than I am since my :fox: isn't as technical as his (even though I beat him in :fox: dittos in friendlies more than 50% of the time IIRC). Actually even if there is lag and neither of us notices it, I still wouldn't play on it since he closes the gap between a better person and a worse person.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Huy I'll team with you if you promise you won't go puff and just spam rests lol.

yeah there's lag. I understand that joey doesn't notice it because he's so used to it though. But when you make the transition from crt -> lcd, the lag is as noticable as sand in your eyes. You can try to deal with it, but there's always that nagging thought in the back of your mind. "Oh man I could have done x if only there were no lag, or I wouldn't have missed y if we were playing on a crt." Not a huge deal, but it's not a good way to judge skill.

I'll show up if you guys play on friday. just let me know when. Or we could do it on saturday.

Also speaking of teams I've been wanting to write up a little guide on how to play teams, basically to give strategies on how to play teams since a lot of people in sb seem to not follow some general "do's and don'ts." The big caveat of writing guides like this is that you always run the risk of coming off as a preachy, self-important, know-it-all unless you're a top-level player. So to try to avoid thos, I'm just gonna list what NOT to do in teams, imo of course.

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be some kind of authority on teams, so feel free to ignore this advice if you wish. I do however fancy myself a pretty decent teams partner (just ask josh), so take that as you will.

I know like half you guys don't even like teams. Well you guys can go suck it, teams *****! :mad:

:laugh: jk.

Alright here it is. What NOT to do in teams.

1) If your partner is comboing the crud out of one of your opponents, DO NOT interrupt his combo by butting in and attacking both players at once. Feel free to help out a combo (maybe by continuing it once your teammate can't keep the combo going anymore) but if your opponent is chaingrabbing a fox with marth, don't just run in and knee them both. Instead maybe try kneeing the fox once he's at too high of a percentage to be chaingrabbed.

2) If you run out of stock, and your teammate is low on stock, DON'T take your teammates stock unless he's agreed to it, at least not in tournament. Sometimes one player at high percent can beat a team with two stocks better than two players with one stock. The exception to this rule is if you pull an Andrej and take their stock right before they die because THAT's funny. :chuckle:

3)Don't pull off combos that are TOO long or else one of your opponents can come in and attack you. (Think of a marth chaingrabbing a fox again, an opposing falcon can come in and knee the marth. Instead the marth can forward throw the fox into the falcon as he runs toward him and forward smash them both)

4)Don't stay quiet if you're getting *****. Communicate to your partner that you need help. this leads into....

5) Don't just let your partner fall to his death. If you see him in his used-up-all-my-jumps-and-my-up-b animation, falling helplessly, try to save him!

If you're fox, you can go down and up b. The fire will hit him and allow him to use another recovery move like up b.

If you're falco, you can laser him from on the stage, or go out there and shine him.

falcon can up b when the teammate is at low enough percents

Puff can use side b, down air, up air, pretty much anything really.

marth can use one swipe of side b or even up b depending on where they are.

sheik can use one needle, or up air.

peach can float off the stage and use umbrella or a well-placed turnip can help at low percents. Up air works too.

6) If you're comboing your opponent across the stage, DON'T maul your opponent in the process. Say you're a falco and you're pillaring a fox across the stage toward your teammate, don't start comboing the fox AND your teammate. Instead, let your opponent continue the combo.

7) Don't edgehog your opponent when they try to get back onto the stage. If you see them trying to grab the ledge, DON'T press R or L, that will occupy the stage for the longest duration of time. Instead, simply ledgehop (this is when you press down to fall off the ledge and immediately jump afterward. When done correctly it is very quick and looks simply like jumping from the ledge. Everyone in sb know what this is, I just wanna make sure I explain the terminology I use lol). Ledgehopping takes up the fewest frames on the edge, allowing your partner quick access when he needs it most.

Conclusion: just in general be aware of your opponents and your teammate at all times and work together to try to maximize the pressure on your opponents and maximize your advantage over them.

*P.S.* One thing I read that wobbles says is good to do is to isolate one of the opposing players and double team them, while keeping the other opponent out, unable to help his teammate. It's not really part of my list but a nice tip that makes a lot of sense.

That's all i got for now. feel free to add some tips if you want.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
This is my roommates tv. I've only had my wii set up for a couple of days. so im in no way SOOO used to it.

MFS- are you saying being technical is the most important thing and defines BETTER?

Caleb, wanna team?

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I never said tech skill was the only factor in deciding a match. Tech skill isn't the only thing that defines a person to be better, but removing it hinders one's chances of winning. Why should I hinder my chances of winning due to not being able to use my tech skill at the highest potential? Playing on a laggy TV not only hinders tech skill but it does not reward people who act fast. As Dante pointed out, playing on a laggy TV is not a good way to judge skill.

Dante, I will team with you and use my :peach: If you fix my controllers in time, I may be able to use my :fox: which is even better than my :peach:

Also, if you have a choice between saving your teammate and killing an opponent, save your teammate. When only one opponent is left, one should go for a grab and the other should do a finishing move or do a team wobble. I'm the only person that actually does this at SB.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Which part is not true? Even you told me on AIM that Hugs says when you have a choice between saving your teammate and killing the opponent, you should save your teammate. Also do you want to make the thread for the LAN Party now? :confused:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Well every time it comes down to 2 vs. 1 with me being on the "2" team, I always have to yell out, "One of us has to grab and the other one uses a powerful attack" or "One of us grabs, and let's do a team wobble." I never hear anyone else yell this out or try to do this without me telling them to. This strategy should be intuitive in all 2 vs. 1 scenarios but I'm the only one that goes for grabs or verbally coordinate grabs. :)

Also, do you want to make the thread for the LAN Party tournament now?

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Well every time it comes down to 2 vs. 1 with me being on the "2" team, I always have to yell out, "One of us has to grab and the other one uses a powerful attack" or "One of us grabs, and let's do a team wobble." I never hear anyone else yell this out or try to do this without me telling them to. This strategy should be intuitive in all 2 vs. 1 scenarios but I'm the only one that goes for grabs or verbally coordinate grabs. :)

Also, do you want to make the thread for the LAN Party tournament now?
dude i already have a clear memory of you yelling that. that doesn't mean anything. Its obvious, almost understood. The fact that you yelled it and others didn't, doesn't mean that other people didn't think the same thing.

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
lets plan playing tomorrow first, i think its more important
This.

dude i already have a clear memory of you yelling that. that doesn't mean anything. Its obvious, almost understood. The fact that you yelled it and others didn't, doesn't mean that other people didn't think the same thing.
This too.

So yeah David any chance you (or anyone else) can host on friday?

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Anthony and David cannot host. Frank can host. Space is limited to 4. First 4 people to sign up gets spots. :( The fact that they didn't attempt to grab until I yelled out so (I actually waited 10 seconds for them to make an attempt to grab before yelling out so) shows that they were not thinking of the same thing. If they thought of the same thing, they would have done so without me telling them so. I wasn't basing the fact that they didn't yell this out to judge them. I based it off of the fact that they didn't tried to grab. Actions speak louder than words and their actions showed that they didn't grab or tried to go for a grab (on their own).

The List:
Huy

CableCho57

Smash Lord
i'm hella confused as to what is happening lol but playing teams ****.
anyyyywaysss joey im hella down to team! Each day im feeling more and more confident with my fox in teams. hmmm maybe some PIKA!?

nah not yet...... but prepare yourselves...=P

and huy who's frank? I guess put me down.... lol

edit : joey your sig ***** hahahaha

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
lol i looked at the posts where huy talks about 2v1 situations and im guessin uve improved bc when u and i did friendlies 2v2 me/huy vs aj/dante we lost 80% of the time and i remember it was bc you made it a 2v1 situation for me while u were still alive XD

but in all seriousness depends on the situation huy, while it may seem like a given you have to look at position percentage etc or else just goin for a grab will hurt you esp aginst a fox who can just shine all day.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
lol **** forgot to reserve spot. o well. who wants to play thats not going to that hahahaha

DanteFox

Smash Champion
nobody goes for the grab because it's obvious and boring! It's friendlies for petes sake. It's more fun to toy with them at that point. And don't you dare suggest that nobody does it in tournament. EVERYBODY does it in tournament.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
also no one's gonna show up unless you tell us where frank's place is and when it's happening. This is looking to be a repeat of last week unless huy stops assuming we already know what he does.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
i gotta disagree although double fox has options, marth peach are two chars that individually can do very well against a fox and that kind of proves my point, but im not gonna get into it its not important.

also anything happening in the winter i might come down thr

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I see friendlies as a way to practice and experiment new strategies in tournaments. Most people try to play friendlies to win or have fun, but I play friendlies to learn. You can be sure that not everyone does this in a tournament set since I've made a 2 vs. 1 comeback against you and Josh when I teamed up with David :falco: which could have been avoided if you went for a grab instead of lasering. You still won the 3rd set but I was just using that as an example.

I have not posted Frank's address because he instructed me to only give it to confirmed people since he does not want more than 4 people. He doesn't want me to post his address on SWF. I don't see how it is a repeat of last week if we had a smashfest M-S.

Kevin, true. Andrew and Dante are just a better team than us.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
If anyone wants to play, just tell me so I can add you to the list. If Dante, wanted to play, I would actually add him to the list and AIM him the address so we can start playing.

List:
Huy
Taylor
Frank
David

Waiting list:

If you can host David, I can play. ;)

DanteFox

Smash Champion
*pointless analysis*
alright let's recap what huy so masterfully deducted from playing people in friendlies and a set in tournament in which I was sandbagging in order to make it close:

-His peach beats my fox
-His fox beats my fox
-he's the only one that does team grab kills in sb

You can believe this if you want lol. I plan on proving the first two wrong next time we play in tournament, and I think you're beyond convincing regarding the third. Fine with me either way.

Also, like I said, no one's coming unless you give out the info. Who are these people that don't want more than 4 people? That's one of the lamest things I've heard.

Imo we should find a different venue, or just wait until tomorrow and see if david chao let's us play at his place.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Their house / dorm = their rules. Technically they don't even have to host. We should be grateful that they are even hosting at all. A smashfest with 4 people > no smashfest at all. If it is their policy that they don't want to give their address to people that are not on the list, then it is their policy. These aren't my rules by the way.

Also regarding team grab kills at SB, I can't do it by myself. I would need a teammate to do it hence the phrase "team grab kill." I simply asserted that I was the only person at SB (so far) that intuitively goes for team grab kills instinctively without being reminded so your 3rd point is moot (we'll have to see in tournament for the first two though). Also you don't have to feel bounded by your words though. I won't hold it against you if you decide you need to use :jigglypuff: to win (which you should IMHO).

I know 3 people that are already confirmed without me posting Frank's address on SWF.

Regarding sandbagging "to make it close", I would only do it if I'm playing a person who is new to the tournament Melee scene since they may feel discouraged to continue to be in the Melee scene if they get 4 stocked. Once they have a tight grip on the competitive Melee scene, I would give it my all to make them a better smasher since I consider sandbagging an insult. The only way I might "sandbag" would be to make team friendlies more balanced by picking a tertiary, but even with a tertiary, I still try my best (like how Falcomist uses :roymelee: [and still tries his best] in crews and against new players).

Also do you want to make the thread for the LAN Party tournament? I may need back up partners in case Dante has a saxophone performance on a Saturday with the LAN Party tournament.

Top Bottom