• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Smash 4 Thread

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Yoshi's pops people up with his jab so I not too surprised, just for us we weren't used to the leg going up higher so different timing, but now thx to our hero since 3ds we now have an ez way.
Ggs at SAM2 slush.

Incendiary

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sh0rtfuse
I wanna come to your weekly tournaments. Could anyone help me with that if I megabus/greyhound to san an?
I can help you out with the megabus

Santi and I timed each other out same percent/llast stock at Ultra a while ago. I won winners but he brought it back 3-1 3-2 in grands. There were 8 entrants lol

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Santi and I timed each other out same percent/llast stock at Ultra a while ago. I won winners but he brought it back 3-1 3-2 in grands. There were 8 entrants lol
Now that I think about, you were close to 3-0ing me that second set. That battlefield spike changed everything :) :143:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Something I just noticed with our smash channel.

The description is empty.
It's gonna be a chore kinda, but whoever does the uploading of their parts of the videos should just go full sell out and link Stream link, location of event for people to go too if they don't have smashboards account and all that, results thread or (for weeklies) our SA thread and twitters of some of our top players even if we don't use it much.
Just throwing that out there, if need examples of what I mean just search literally any videos uploaded by CT or vgbc

EVERYTHING AND EVERYWHERE

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
My bad, I should've been thinking the long term. When I get home fron work, I'll update the channel description with the link to our thread and a link to our Twitch. Then per video, a link to the tourney thread, link to the results thread, and a link to the venue.
:phone:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
^I do agree with that. If our goal with this stuff is more exposure, then presentation can use some work. Fortunately I don't believe Santi or Beros has to do all of that by themselves. I'd be more than willing to pitch in with that busy work.

Nike.

Smash Hero
There is a problem with having SAM3 in March.

March 7th: Fight Me IRL (Dallas) & Insomnia (Houston)
March 14th: San Marcos Tournament
March 21st: REM1 (Houston)
March 28th: Aftershock (Dallas)

There is a tourney every Saturday for the month outside of San Antonio. On top of that, Mizuumi Con is on March 21.

I need input from everyone in San Antonio. What direction should we take? Some players from San Antonio plan on going to the San Marcos tourney (2 stock, 6 minute timer). I do not want to conflict with Houston because they WILL travel to SAM in full force. Alternatively, we could just not have SAM3 in March and just wait until April.

Thoughts?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
If March is really that packed, I honestly think April would be the better choice for SAM3 and maybe just have the SAM 4 a little earlier in May if there's no spots taken from other tournaments in TX.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Yea I don't know if exposure was my main goal, but it is important. We need 500 subs before I can put a custom URL. I think I just wanted to give the city nice things since I remember when I first went to tourneys as a kid I thought it was the coolest thing when Nike would stand behind me and Dojo and use his camera to record our matches. I wanted to give back that hype especially since the city has so many unknown strong players. #realtalk <3

But yea I'll work on making descriptions stronger so players can find us. Singles matches are almost all done but they are on private until I get thumbnails and the rest of the single matches uploaded.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Nice things is of course good and all, but since we're on the train already we might as well go a bit faster on this baby.

Back then esports wasn't really as big of a thing outside of MLG as it is today, and with the likes of reddit fb twitter etc. being the focal points for esports drama or advertising for sponsors to get the green, it's about the only way to get something out of what we do since we're already doing it.
We also grow up eventually so the giddiness out of having matches recorded and such isn't as intense as it used to be when we were younger, it's a shame most games with a competitive scene slowly decay into nothingness cause of the community most of the time.

If anybody read Espy's FB post you'd understand a bit more on what I mean.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Nice things is of course good and all, but since we're on the train already we might as well go a bit faster on this baby.
In due time padawan. In due time.

We also grow up eventually so the giddiness out of having matches recorded and such isn't as intense as it used to be when we were younger, it's a shame most games with a competitive scene slowly decay into nothingness cause of the community most of the time.
I think age is a factor, but I would say it depends more on if that player is new. I think new players still get hype/giddy about live stream and recording regardless of how old they are.

I was doing it more for slush fan boy rather than for slush. Regardless, I will work on presentation and increasing exposure. Obviously, 210 Smash is not in it's final state. Much improvements are on the horizon. I just have to make more time in a day in order to get it done.

Last edited:

Valdens

Smash Ace
Valdens, what be the whole thing with TGC1? We still going? And if not my alternative is Nike if he still goes.
still going details will be hashed out by end of the night

Carpool is me Mindless Castro and Slush so far.

I have room for one more and need a doubles partner if I'm gonna go someone team pls

Last edited:

Valdens

Smash Ace
Purchasing your ticket will guarantee your attendance and you will be able to enter any of the tournaments and play casuals all day. If you do not buy a ticket, you can still come to the venue but risk coming to the event and if we are over capacity/sold out of tickets, you will not be able to come in the venue and compete in any of the tournaments. We highly suggest you purchase your ticket to guarantee your attendance. Print/show us your ticket at the venue or show us on your phone. 1 ticket per person/per email!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tgc-te...ips-650-total-pot-bonuses-tickets-15087397813

Last edited:

Nike.

Smash Hero
I wanna come to your weekly tournaments. Could anyone help me with that if I megabus/greyhound to san an?
Thats dope! I hope you do come. It does start at the back end of rush hour, though. Whoever picks you up needs to be at the venue around 6:00pm, meaning you should arrive in San Antonio no later than 5:00pm.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I can help you out with the megabus

I'd need (most likely) a ride from the megabus stop on thursday and ride back to it on friday morning (I think 9 AM).

I'd like to come to your weekly this week if possible.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
The TGC venue is massive and can hold more than twice the expected attendance. Most will pay at the door so if you don't buy online, expect to wait in line for a LONG time.

200+ people are expected so buying in advance might make it smoother for you.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
Damn, there's a text limit to the YT Channel description. This is as far as I can write, but I was gonna go for some outrageous titles to our players.
210 Smash is a video hub for the Super Smash Bros. Scene in San Antonio, TX. The channel is managed by Santi (a la SnorlaxPie500) and Geoberos. The uploads mainly focuses on recorded and streamed matches of Smash 4 tournaments in the area, more specifically the League of Shadows Weeklies and San Antonio Monthlies organized by Nike. Managed by Santi and Geoberos, the main focus will.

Our community is largely based on our city's Smashboards thread (http://smashboards.com/threads/san-antonio-smash-4-thread.371315/). We also stream our tournaments through our Twitch channel (http://www.twitch.tv/210smash).

Whether you're curious about the competitive scene, looking for character play, or following a specific player, hopefully we got the right matches for you. Be it our veterans such as Megafox, Espy, K Prime, and Santi or our upcoming newcomers FunCrazyFish and Jopan, keep us in touch. And if you're in the area, hopefully you'd take a chance and join our scene.
^I do agree with that. If our goal with this stuff is more exposure, then presentation can use some work. Fortunately I don't believe Santi or Beros has to do all of that by themselves. I'd be more than willing to pitch in with that busy work.
Help would be much appreciated. Whatchu got in mind for presentation? Like channel layout or dealing with video editing? Haven't messed around our account page, but I was thinking some artwork if not self-drawn.

Incendiary

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sh0rtfuse
I'd need (most likely) a ride from the megabus stop on thursday and ride back to it on friday morning (I think 9 AM).

I'd like to come to your weekly this week if possible.
I won't be able to get you there Friday morning unfortunately. Not sure if anyone else can

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Help would be much appreciated. Whatchu got in mind for presentation? Like channel layout or dealing with video editing? Haven't messed around our account page, but I was thinking some artwork if not self-drawn.
I got video editing software and I'm adept with it. Far as artwork, not my specialty, though I have made logos and thumbnails. I think our logo with some generic Smash-centric artwork will do as a placeholder.

I personally want to assist with maintaining the stream and youtube channel since that's what I'm best at.

So I do need a ticket to get in?
Yes you need a ticket to get into the building. If you pay online, you print out your pass and show it at the door to get inside. Then you register for whatever games you're playing.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
The Full Story and a good read. I can't input much from my lack of experience.

Nike, you have those clauses listed in your tourney set-up [cheat] sheets?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I won't be able to get you there Friday morning unfortunately. Not sure if anyone else can
Could anyone assist here maybe?

Basically I need a ride from megabus to the venue, housing after the tournament and a ride to the megabus stop after.

Or maybe if someone could tell me if you bus system would be able to get that done for me? There is a bus that runs straight from my place to the Houston megabus stop. If I were that lucky on the other end, I could hit up these locals on a regular basis.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
My SA friends! I made a thread on Bowser's Koopacide on Smashboards and would love it if you gave it a read.

http://smashboards.com/threads/bowser-and-the-suicide-clause.392566/
Zigs. I like you. I know you are an emotional guy (that's not an insult, I respect that) so please don't take this the wrong way. I just want to offer my opinion on this epic piece.

First of all, let me just try to start where I think your thesis starts.

I was crushed. Devastated. I felt like I wasted my money and time by flying all the way to the other side of the country only to get cheesed by a clause in a ruleset--a clause that in other regions, including my region of SoCal (and my previous regions of Louisiana and Texas), includes Bowser. But too bad, because no one in charge seemed to have a care in the world.
Just my opinion. You were not cheesed. It is clearly stated in the rule set. The result screen is clear who the winner is. It is not vulnerable to subjective interpretation. And maybe your opponent was competent, read the ruleset, and decided shielding was a smart decision for defense since bowserside was off the table.

My next round I played a Sonic main from Pennsylvania (I believe) named Phoenix Dark, and I really need to give a shoutout to this guy. My pool leader kept trying to get me to IMMEDIATELY play my next match in losers, but I insisted that I hear from a TO on whether I lost or not. Phoenix Dark expressed his condolences to me many times before we even began playing--and it was especially needed because frankly, the last thing I wanted to do at that point was play more Smash at this awful tournament. I barely win game 3.
Next round I don't even remember the name of the person I played, but I felt completely out of it. His Mario barely beat me game one. Then game two he shield in the middle of the stage, and I Klaw him when he's at 140% and I'm at 20%. I aim in the center of the stage towards the platform, and he aims offstage...and thanks to Smash 4 mechanics, sometimes the game randomly lets Bowser's opponent have more control over Klaw even when there's a vast chasm in percentages. I unplugged my controller and said "good game" even though my opponent AND his friends were laughing at me. Because he made a poor move (shielding) and I got punished for it. And I got punished for not learning for my mistake the first time.
I bolded the salty subjective statement and underlined a more elaberate way of explaining the situation.

So the long story is this--I won't EVER be going back to Apex, or to ANY tournament that doesn't include Bowser in the Suicide Clause.

I'm here to represent all other Bowser mains in saying that not including Bowser in the Suicide Clause is a MAJOR issue. What happened to me can happen to anyone. Period.
Most people abide by the tourney ruleset. Period. I understand what case you are trying to make, but I feel like there's a better way to put it than a 10,000 character soapbox.

Last edited:

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman

Basically I need a ride from megabus to the venue, housing after the tournament and a ride to the megabus stop after.

Or maybe if someone could tell me if you bus system would be able to get that done for me? There is a bus that runs straight from my place to the Houston megabus stop. If I were that lucky on the other end, I could hit up these locals on a regular basis.
I would help you Tesh if I could. I'm leaving the state Thursday night. But I can help with giving you a ride to and from the bus station on Thursday. Just lmk or @ Incendiary Incendiary know what times on Thursday and we will make it happen.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld

There's a bus that takes you to ooples, then from ooples to the venue but the total time is like 2 hours...then there's a bus that kinda takes you there but you have to walk for 50 min x;
Perhaps you could bus to one of the San Antonio player's house then leave to the weekly from there?
Last resort is taxi though doubt you wanna do that

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I could possibly take Tesh to the Megabus stop Friday morning after the event, but I'd need to do it super early in the morning since I work at 10am. :applejack:

I'm also going to update the ELO Rankings later tonight. Just trying to get settled at home.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
There's a bus that takes you to ooples, then from ooples to the venue but the total time is like 2 hours...then there's a bus that kinda takes you there but you have to walk for 50 min x;
Perhaps you could bus to one of the San Antonio player's house then leave to the weekly from there?
Last resort is taxi though doubt you wanna do that
i dont understand, google says the number 2 bus will take me right from megabus to otaku cafe so one of us must be very wrong.

only problem is megabus has nearly abandoned SA it seems and I can only arrive at like 11AM or 8 30 PM lol. So... I dont think going to the venue 8 hours early would be ideal.

Top Bottom