• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai-san's Character Selection Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Due to a lot of debate recently about how Sakurai makes choices regarding character inclusion, I will post some information for those who seem to be behind on general information available to the public.

CHARACTER SELECTION

Sakurai picks characters he likes and characters who are demanded by (especially japanese) players through surveys.

That decision-making process starts with Sakurai forming his own thoughts, but also factors in various surveys, he said. From there, a list of candidates is refined by evaluating their contribution to the game's roster: "What is the uniqueness of this character? What does this character bring into the Smash Bros. universe? What do they have that other characters don't? How do they complement or contrast other characters?"

After he has made his choices, he further refines them to make them unique as possible. AFTER HE DECIDED ON THE POSSIBLE CANDIDATES. This means, character choice stems from POPULARITY and HIS own choices.

Let's look at another excerpt:
Sakurai: The first thing is to take an idea. For example, imagine a game and characters within that game. Take a character such as the villager in Animal Crossing. The next process is think about that character’s role in their game and then the structure of the game we’re making. How do those work together with each other? What kind of interesting things can you do within the structure of the game? And then if you were to actually implement that character, how would the end result be, how it works with other elements of the game?

An important thing is that the characters stand out from one another — for instance, we might wanna be able to take characters that aren’t typically combat-based characters. So you might have a sword-based character, but other characters are not necessarily going to [have swords]. You’re not gonna wanna focus on that sort of element, just so there’s a distinction between all of the other combat-based characters.

They have to have something really unique that makes them stand apart from other characters in the game, and not limit yourself to characters that are just combat-based.

It seems that Sakurai picks a character and tries imagining them first. After using what they offer he tries to make them as unique as possible. interesting. Inherent uniqueness isn't a prerequisite.
let's continue.

Kotaku: I know that you can’t talk too much about the characters that will be in the next game, but for previous Smash Bros. games, have there ever been characters that you wanted to include but couldn’t figure out a good mechanic for them, like a way to fit them into the game?

Sakurai: Yeah, there’s been a lot of instances like that. For example, there are places where we planned to have a character but then implementing that character just didn’t work out. Or we wanted to implement some character but there was too much overlap with other characters from the same title, and it didn’t work out. Or there’s places when I wanted to implement some character, but the image for how it works in the game just never comes to fruition.

Well. I suppose Chrom falls into this category. Miis fell into this category last time.
Isn't this interesting?

CHARACTER REMOVAL

Sakurai has stated some information that explains the process of deciding whether or not characters are cut from the game
“So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it’s good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.”
If everything is on schedule then they will put in all of the veterans. If not.. well..
This proves that Brawl's Forbidden (Forgotten) 7 were cut due to time-constraints.

ROSTER SLOTS

Sakurai has revealed that before production, he creates a roster for internal use. This roster includes all (ALL) characters that are being considered to be put into the game. ALL of them
"All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not way for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings."

This is highly interesting as it proves 2 things:

1. An internal roster is created that includes all characters that are being considered. This means it included Chrom and in this particular case A slot was reserved for a new pokemon.
2. Character slots ARE allocated based on series. Most probably influenced by popularity and prominence of said series.

This is critical information as it proves that the chances of a character getting in are also influenced by the series, as limited slots of a series naturally lead to a conclusion where two highly popular characters from the same series must compete with each other for that spot.

This raises the question about the need series representation, and whether it was impossible to add another pokemon character without also adding a Mario and Zelda rep to keep things in balance.

Is it also possible that Lucina was added because they had such a bad time making Chrom unique that he would be a clone and thus decided to just make Marth's alt a clone, since she pretty much was pretending to be Marth in the actual game she hails from? This also hints heavily at the exclusion of Roy, sadly.

CONCLUSION

Thanks for going with me on this journey. It seems we have unearthed the mystery of how Sakurai goes through his character screening process. All that is missing is his own criteria. I will look those up and add them to the original post when I have time.

This means that the initial character choice is based on Sakurai's on preference and character or series popularity. After this fact an initial draft roster is built which has limited character slots for each series. Sakurai attempts to make every single choice a unique character in looks and gameplay. After this fact he tries to put all in while balancing the game. Sadly, this is where a ton of characters are cut.

Sakurai IS a hardworking man and puts his all into his games, otherwise the Smash series would never have this high a quality.

/debate

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Or we wanted to implement some character but there was too much overlap with other characters from the same title, and it didn’t work out.
Yet Wolf, and Lucas happened? Makes sense.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Yet Wolf, and Lucas happened? Makes sense.
they made them different enough
I wouldn't call wolf or lucas clones.
not in the same vain as Ganondorf, Dr mario, Pichu and Roy were in Melee.

we had effectively no clones in Brawl

SSB4 is bringing clones back with Lucina.. and that was a last minute thing.

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
they made them different enough
I wouldn't call wolf or lucas clones.
not in the same vain as Ganondorf, Dr mario, Pichu and Roy were in Melee.

we had effectively no clones in Brawl

SSB4 is bringing clones back with Lucina.. and that was a last minute thing.
Toon Link?

Nonetheless, clones are special cases. If I remember correctly, they have always been last second additions.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Toon Link?

Nonetheless, clones are special cases. If I remember correctly, they have always been last second additions.
Toon Link is also not a clone when compared to young link or link in Melee.

They have different dair, fair, bair, nair, sB uSmash, sSmash,
they have similar uB uair dB B , AAA, utilt, dtitl, stitl, Final Smash.
dSmash is similar on most characters, save Lucas, Samus, Mewtwo and maybe some I can't recall.

He's very different besides just weight, damage and speed. His sSmash can at least kill someone even though it hits twice. Link's sSmash is garbage

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Lucas, Wolf, and Toon Link are not clones. They basically only share some of the same specials, being from the same universe and having a similar role in said universe (wolf is a pilot like fox and falco, lucas is a psy-kid like ness, toon link is.... Link)

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Overlap isn't just moveset: I've heard that Falco was chosen over Wolf for Melee because Wolf looked too similar to Fox.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Sakurai is bias as all hell. He favors the series he works on (Kirby and Kid Icarus), or Fire Emblem, and brings in obscure characters he liked from his childhood (Ice Climbers), that nobody would remember.

He clearly has little to no interest in the Zelda series, hence Ganondorf not being de-cloned back in Brawl (and who knows if they did anything to him now), and Toon Link being a clone instead of having a unique moveset. The lack of a Zelda newcomer since Melee in 2001 is absurd.

He also doesn't seem to care for Metroid, likely because Metroid isn't a big franchise in Japan. I'd wager he doesn't care for Donkey Kong either, as Diddy should have been in Melee and we don't know if we're getting anyone else.

Sakurai is so bias.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sakurai is bias as all hell. He favors the series he works on (Kirby and Kid Icarus), or Fire Emblem, and brings in obscure characters he liked from his childhood (Ice Climbers), that nobody would remember.

He clearly has little to no interest in the Zelda series, hence Ganondorf not being de-cloned back in Brawl (and who knows if they did anything to him now), and Toon Link being a clone instead of having a unique moveset. The lack of a Zelda newcomer since Melee in 2001 is absurd.

He also doesn't seem to care for Metroid, likely because Metroid isn't a big franchise in Japan. I'd wager he doesn't care for Donkey Kong either, as Diddy should have been in Melee and we don't know if we're getting anyone else.

Sakurai is so bias.
Um, Sakurai chose SIX CLONES over putting Dedede into Melee. Argument is dead, gameover.

Sakurai also implied he did not want to make Ganondorf a clone of Captain Falcon. He only did so because Ganondorf was extremely popular, and he couldn't find any other character to fill in the sixth clone slot.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Edited the OP.

Sakurai does favor his series, but he KNOWS he is biased, which is why he intentionally handicapped his series until Brawl.

He seems to revive classic characters from nintendo mainly because he voiced his complaints a couple of times that Nintendo doesn't seem to create new worlds he can draw from anymore.

Whether this is done as a business move or not, it does help breathe life into old nintendo properties.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig

Sakurai is so bias.
-- King Dedede and Pit were supposed to have been included in Smash 64 but cut due to time and technical limitations. Dedede was again cut from Melee in favor of adding 6 clones instead to boost the roster number while Pit was dropped in favor of the Ice Climbers. Only in Brawl did he finally add King Dedede and Pit, as well as Meta Knight due to popular demand. Palutena is the only addition this smash he's given.

-- Fire Emblem is a franchise dating back to 1990. It was huge in Japan and thanks to Marth and Roy's appearance in Melee that they finally released them outside of Japan. They replaced Roy with Ike, then added Robin in Sm4sh. Lucina was supposed to be an alternate costume but ended up being a new character thanks to the sword difference from Marth. This is also a second party franchise, so getting their characters come from a mutual discussion from Sakurai and IS.

-- Ice Climbers were a different take to the roster for smash. They added a duo role that really spiced up how to fight. They were selected over Balloon Fighter & Pit among others, to be representatives of the Famicom/NES period in Nintendo's history. They preceded over Super Mario Bros, why wouldn't you want to add them?

-- Ganondorf has gotten the shaft but he was a late addition so unfortunately got the clone treatment to be added in over Dedede. Still sucks they left him intact from Falcon but could just be a way of pleasing the fans who did main him. As for Tink, I would have given him a different slew of moves/specials but he isn't a clone but semi clone. Sheik was given her own slot for Sm4sh so that may explain no new people.

-- Little Mac proves Sakurai listens to the West as well, but no Ridley is a huge hinderance. Granted we was a prime antagonist for SSE but for Sm4sh I'm still waiting for him. Dixie was going to be added to Diddy in brawl but was later dropped. Maybe she could return by herself, who knows. Tropical Freeze was released after the roster selection though. K Rool has been absent for a long while, and its the SNES fanbase wanting his addition.

-- WFT is the only example of a character only Sakurai was bias for but for good reason.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
WFT, like the Miis were probably pushed for by Nintendo/popularit/sales

Last time he said he couldn't do Miis, just like he complained about villager.
Now he found a way to make it work.

Sakurai does add last minute clones to pad the roster. Lucina is one of them. She would have functioned fine with a tipper. It was his choice to split them up and decided to do so by removing a sweetspot from her moves, since Roy and Marth have this ability.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Thanks for listening to our opinions, OP. I don't agree with most fan's ideas why each character are picked, because they usually comes down to the fan's opinion of the character. Pretty much every veteran fighter has made Smash more interesting, so why do the reasons matter?

Personally, I'd say it's almost impossible to (logically) determine the reasons why characters are chosen. Sakurai's explanations for his choices seem to be within reason, without the need for additional explanations.

BUT... I'm not naive. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai was often pressured by company figures. Especially in this day and age for Nintendo.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Thanks for listening to our opinions, OP. I don't agree with most fan's ideas why each character are picked, because they usually comes down to the fan's opinion of the character. Pretty much every veteran fighter has made Smash more interesting, so why do the reasons matter?

Personally, I'd say it's almost impossible to (logically) determine the reasons why characters are chosen. Sakurai's explanations for his choices seem to be within reason, without the need for additional explanations.

BUT... I'm not naive. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai was often pressured by company figures. Especially in this day and age for Nintendo.
Yeah. The only predictable part of character addition comes from Sakurai's Surveys in japan. These are the easiest indicators for newcomers since he takes those into consideration. The part about characters that pique his own interest.... that is hard to gauge.

Ofcourse some content will be pushed by nintendo, as I think we can all agree that the series would look weird if Mario were the ONLY Mario Bros rep.

I found another snippet that proves character slots as well as rep slots that control the shape of the roster.
This bit of information confirms that the roster consist of characters that are required for representation purposes also.

I'll add it to the first post.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sales/General Popularity =/= Smash Bros. Popularity.

Wii Fit Trainer was absolutely not a popular Smash Bros choice, so I really don't think that had anything to do with it. I think it was more that Sakurai saw something unique in Wii Fit Trainer and thought it would be a good idea. Sakurai even addresses the fact that nobody requested her in his polls when he talks about her in the Developer Direct last year at E3.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Sales/General Popularity =/= Smash Bros. Popularity.

Wii Fit Trainer was absolutely not a popular Smash Bros choice, so I really don't think that had anything to do with it. I think it was more that Sakurai saw something unique in Wii Fit Trainer and thought it would be a good idea. Sakurai even addresses the fact that nobody requested her in his polls when he talks about her in the Developer Direct last year at E3.
Ah yes! most definitely.
Sakurai has stated many times before he wants to add more female characters to Smash Bros.
This might have been an understated, yet crucial factor.
Other than that, he could have picked any other obscure female, especially after he complained about the villager not fighting and not being able to have a moveset.

He picked the Wii Fit Trainer.

Out of all the possible options he could have picked from he chose to add Wii Fit Trainer. Even though he has voiced his opinion about other characters such as Saki Amamiya.

Wii Fit Trainer was chosen, even if it disappoints you, because Wii Fit has become a huge hit and as a nintendo franchise deserves a character on the roster. After that fact he decided to see how he could make her unique.

Read the post rather than avoiding reality.

Wii Fit Trainer falls into Sakurai's Category of characters he chooses.
If you want to, I can give you an in-depth analysis of his character choices.
For now I will say that his personal tastes revolve around his own franchises, forgotten retro series and Characters that are needed for representation purposes.

Just like he NEEDED to add a second rep for StarFox in Melee, he can't simply remove Falco because he doesn't like Falco. He's there to represent the series.

If you want to prove me wrong, please do so in the proper manner rather than saying random incoherent crap because I hurt your feelings for coming up with incredibly strong arguments, backed by the creator's own words.

If you do not yield, I am afraid I must give an in-depth analysis of roster choices from SSB64 to Sm4sh.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ah yes! most definitely.
Sakurai has stated many times before he wants to add more female characters to Smash Bros.
This might have been an understated, yet crucial factor.
Other than that, he could have picked any other obscure female, especially after he complained about the villager not fighting and not being able to have a moveset.

He picked the Wii Fit Trainer.

Out of all the possible options he could have picked from he chose to add Wii Fit Trainer. Even though he has voiced his opinion about other characters such as Saki Amamiya.

Wii Fit Trainer was chosen, even if it disappoints you, because Wii Fit has become a huge hit and as a nintendo franchise deserves a character on the roster. After that fact he decided to see how he could make her unique.

Read the post rather than avoiding reality.

Wii Fit Trainer falls into Sakurai's Category of characters he chooses.
If you want to, I can give you an in-depth analysis of his character choices.
For now I will say that his personal tastes revolve around his own franchises, forgotten retro series and Characters that are needed for representation purposes.

Just like he NEEDED to add a second rep for StarFox in Melee, he can't simply remove Falco because he doesn't like Falco. He's there to represent the series.

If you want to prove me wrong, please do so in the proper manner rather than saying random incoherent crap because I hurt your feelings for coming up with incredibly strong arguments, backed by the creator's own words.

If you do not yield, I am afraid I must give an in-depth analysis of roster choices from SSB64 to Sm4sh.
What the hell are you talking about? I actually like the Wii Fit Trainer. You're the one getting aggressive. Stop being a prick.

Most of the clones on the Melee roster were added because Sakurai came to the conclusion that he could:

A) Add one original character
B) Add several clones to expand the roster

He picked the 2nd option. That's literally in his notes.

He doesn't pick a character because "Oh wait a minute, this series needs a new character". It's never been like that. Not to mention there's no reason to think that either.

Want to know why he picked the Ice Climbers? They were unique and had something different. That's also in his journal notes for Melee. He picked them over Urban Champion, Balloon Fighter, and Bubbles from Clu Clu Land.

If anything, YOU are the one who needs to prove that Sakurai picks characters based on sales as the first indicator. Sakurai has given his criteria for character selection, and that is what I'm basing MY logic on.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
What the hell are you talking about? I actually like the Wii Fit Trainer. You're the one getting aggressive. Stop being a prick.

Most of the clones on the Melee roster were added because Sakurai came to the conclusion that he could:

He doesn't pick character because "Oh wait a minute, this series needs a new character". It's never been like that. Not to mention there's no reason to think that either.

Want to know why he picked the Ice Climbers? They were unique and had something different. That's also in his journal notes for Melee. He picked them over Urban Champion, Balloon Fighter, and Bubbles from Clu Clu Land.

If anything, YOU are the one who needs to prove that Sakurai picks characters based on sales as the first indicator. Sakurai has given his criteria for character selection, and that is what I'm basing MY logic on.
You are purposely misinterpreting what I have said. Reply once you're done reading my OP.
I should call a moderator on you :p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
WFT, like the Miis were probably pushed for by Nintendo/popularit/sales
That's what I was responding to. How did I misinterpret what you said?

Also, you didn't reply to anything I mentioned. I'm not even attempting to be aggressive, and I don't understand why you've consistently been hostile to me when I've done absolutely nothing to provoke it.

I'm entitled to my opinion. Just like you are to yours.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

He doesn't pick a character because "Oh wait a minute, this series needs a new character". It's never been like that. Not to mention there's no reason to think that either.

I think the argument of "this series needs another character" DOES work, but its not the end-all factor. What a character can bring to the table is ALSO a major factor in this, but he does consider which franchises are popular enough to get new reps, then he determines which ones would bring in something new to Smash Bros. and which characters are the most popular to add.

All of these things are considered. I agree with your previous reply that Sakurai isn't as biased as people say, and he actively avoids using his personal bias to affect his decisions of adding characters to the roster.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Sakurai said:
In the end, if a game isn’t fun, then there’s no point.
Sounds like hes' more concerned with gameplay.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Sounds like hes' more concerned with gameplay.
Ofcourse he is, which is why he attempts to make his choices as unique and interesting as possible.
If it doesn't work out, he cuts them.

Chrom is the prime example.

Thank you for reading the post and agreeing with me ^_^

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Sales?

Oh man, Ice Climber was such a sleeper hit. That's why it had one game 30 years ago and nothing else. Kid Icarus too, dying for 21 years and all.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Sales?

Oh man, Ice Climber was such a sleeper hit. That's why it had one game 30 years ago and nothing else. Kid Icarus too, dying for 21 years and all.
what? get out bro.
kids these days.
they don't even read

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
what? get out bro.
kids these days.
they don't even read
Yeah, because you're SO much better, ignoring people's quotes from Sakurai proving gameplay is more important.

And if you're gonna call me a kid, at least capitalize and punctuate properly. I find it really hard to take you seriously.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Yeah, because you're SO much better, ignoring people's quotes from Sakurai proving gameplay is more important.

And if you're gonna call me a kid, at least capitalize and punctuate properly. I find it really hard to take you seriously.
I am not ignoring anything.
It all falls in line with my OP

I find it hard to take many seriously for they rather make strawmen than actually see the bigger picture.

Gameplay is insanely important, but it's not how the initial roster is chosen.
It is what Sakurai, the creative director, makes of the characters.

Again. You don't HAVE to believe me. You can just follow the sources in the original post.

Kid.

Xigger

Smash Lord
@ KageJuin KageJuin , even though Sakurai puts together an initial list and separates the characters into "playable" and "not playable" lists, it's been proven that Sonic and Lucina weren't initially in the "playable" list, per-say. So it's not something to follow to a tee.

Sales?

Hey, hey, let's be nice... you were wrong about the Ice Climbers. It sold over a million, it's listed as a classic because it's earned it. Sleeper hits aren't always ongoing franchises. And Ice Climbers happens to be very unique in Smash's gameplay. Nothing wrong here.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
@ KageJuin KageJuin , even though Sakurai puts together an initial list and separates the characters into "playable" and "not playable" lists, it's been proven that Sonic and Lucina weren't initially in the "playable" list, per-say. So it's not something to follow to a tee.
That's true. There are exceptions where clones are created.
Melee had clones fore padding, as stated earlier by another. Rather add 6 clones than DDD.
Sakurai stated he only added Ganondorf as a quick clone because he was the only character who could fit the C. Falcon model.

Lucina was added in later on when he decided he wanted to separate her from Marth. The reason why is a mystery still.
This also falls in line with the fact that the choice between newcomers was between Robin and Chrom. Lucina was always planned as an alt for Marth.(This puts Chrom on the internal roster, which can give the gematsu leak some credibility if you believe it was based on this internal roster rather than the current, working roster as even people inside the nintendo treehouse have to play the latest build behind closed doors)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I am not ignoring anything.
It all falls in line with my OP

I find it hard to take many seriously for they rather make strawmen than actually see the bigger picture.

Gameplay is insanely important, but it's not how the initial roster is chosen.
It is what Sakurai, the creative director, makes of the characters.

Again. You don't HAVE to believe me. You can just follow the sources in the original post.

Kid.
Your very first source says, VERBATIM:

That decision-making process starts with Sakurai forming his own thoughts, but also factors in various surveys, he said. From there, a list of candidates is refined by evaluating their contribution to the game's roster: "What is the uniqueness of this character? What does this character bring into the Smash Bros. universe? What do they have that other characters don't? How do they complement or contrast other characters?"

Starts. Meaning he begins by thinking about gameplay. Sakurai's popularity =/= everyone else's.
Hey, hey, let's be nice... you were wrong about the Ice Climbers. It sold over a million, it's listed as a classic because it's earned it. Sleeper hits aren't always ongoing franchises. And Ice Climbers happens to be very unique in Smash's gameplay. Nothing wrong here.
Ice Climber had one game 30 years ago. If it had sold well enough, it probably would've gotten another game.

Also, 1 million? Super Mario Bros. on the NES sold 40.24 million. Excitebike sold 1.57 million, more than Ice Climber.

Heck, on a list of NES games that sold at least a million, Ice Climber is absent.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I can agree that character choices were based off of popularity for the most part in Melee and Brawl. Had Wario and Diddy Kong, or Meta Knight and Dedede not been in Brawl, there would have been ****storms everywhere. They were basically the last of the bare essentials.

However, when Sakurai said that "a change in direction might be needed", I think that that is directed at the focus on gameplay options and what makes them stand out from everybody else. That is my logic. Sakurai wants to get away from adding a buttload of characters who may or may not play similarly.

Like I said, I can agree with the premise of looking at what series a character comes from if we're looking at Melee and Brawl. But I think Wii U and 3DS are set up to be something different.

This isn't to say that all choices in this game aren't going to be determined by popularity. But a few already haven't been. So that's what I'm skeptical about.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Your very first source says, VERBATIM:

Starts. Meaning he begins by thinking about gameplay.
Thank you for contradicting your own statement.
let's review the order, shall we?

1.That decision-making process starts with Sakurai forming his own thoughts, but also factors in various surveys, he said.
2.From there, a list of candidates is refined by evaluating their contribution to the game's roster

Quoting your own downfall now?

Not very effective at debates, are you?

Is this your first time?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

1.That decision-making process starts with Sakurai forming his own thoughts, but also factors in various surveys, he said.
2.From there, a list of candidates is refined by evaluating their contribution to the game's roster

Is this your first time?
I'm gonna be blunt. Quit talking to people like that, or you're going to get infracted. There's literally no reason for you to get aggressive or sarcastic.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I'm gonna be blunt. Quit talking to people like that, or you're going to get infracted. There's literally no reason for you to get aggressive or sarcastic.
Please point out, where in that post, I have become aggressive.
I am sure you may be reading too much into it.
I am being as sarcastic as the person I'm quoting. I suppose we both are getting an infraction?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Please point out, where in that post, I have become aggressive.
I am sure you may be reading too much into it.
I am being as sarcastic as the person I'm quoting. I suppose we both are getting an infraction?
You're insulting him. He's not insulting you. That's the difference.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
You're insulting him. He's not insulting you. That's the difference.
Insulting?
I was just asking some question as it seems he didn't understand the basics of a debate.
Am I to blame for others inability to present a counter argument?
I am not the one who decides to pick strawmen, while ignoring arguments posted by others.

I am sorry for expecting more from a response to my highly detailed post.

Also, OP has been updated to encompass more data regarding roster creation.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Insulting?
I was just asking some question as it seems he didn't understand the basics of a debate.
Am I to blame for others inability to present a counter argument?
I am not the one who decides to pick strawmen, while ignoring arguments posted by others.

I am sorry for expecting more from a response to my highly detailed post.

Also, OP has been updated to encompass more data regarding roster creation.
Even if you don't think their argument is good, that doesn't mean you demean them by asking them if they've ever debated or something stupid like that. That's blatant flaming. There's no convincing me otherwise. You easily could just say, "No I disagree. This is why you're wrong."

I mean you say it's a strawman, but only respond with a witty remark. Example:

Is this your first time?
None of this was necessary. At all. Again, instead of resorting to being sarcastic, you could have said something else.

You basically said two things, didn't expand on it, and then insulted him. That's basically a worthless comment.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Wasn't there an interview where he said he balances between picking characters that are highly requested/wanted along with characters he sees that are less requested/more obscure that he thinks could play uniquely or could add something to the game? Or was it just the same clip as the first source but paraphrased and never said word for word.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Wasn't there an interview where he said he balances between picking characters that are highly requested/wanted along with characters he sees that are less requested/more obscure that he thinks could play uniquely or could add something to the game? Or was it just the same clip as the first source but paraphrased and never said word for word.
No clue.
More sources are welcome actually.
Feel free to bring them in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom