• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Ryu Sound Files Found

Are you excited for these characters?

• Yes

Votes: 823 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 306 27.1%

• Total voters

Marthmario

Smash Lord
With the release of Mewtwo, the new Mii outfits and version 1.0.6, players have been digging around in the games files to see if they’ve managed to nerf Greninja (again) or provided buffs to characters that need them. With the fall of the Hoo-Hah, comes the rise of this interesting piece of news. /U/shinyquagsire23 on Reddit has uncovered some interesting data. The files he discovered are named as following:

• snd_bgm_Z80_F_Mewtwo_3DS.nus3bank
  • snd_bgm_Z81_F_Ryu_3DS.nus3bank
  • snd_bgm_Z82_F_Lucas_3DS.nus3bank
  • snd_bgm_Z83_F_Roy_3DS.nus3bank

These files are all victory themes for various characters. Lucas and Mewtwo are known of course, but the interesting thing is that there appears to be files for Roy (of Fire Emblem fame) and Ryu (of Street Fighter fame). While Roy is a returning character, Ryu would be Capcom’s second representative in Smash. So, the discovery of these files on the 3DS version come as a shock to many. Take a listen to the found sounds in the video below.

Keep in mind that this is still a rumor, so be wary.

So what do you guys think about these characters joining Smash Bros? I’m excited for both of these characters, as I’ve mained Roy for a long time and Ryu is my favorite Street Fighter. Hit me up @ Marthmario Marthmario to talk about these recent developments.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You really should put that this is all still a rumour, it's hardly been confirmed.

Evilzpet

Smash Rookie
I've always wondered what it would be like to play a character from another fighting franchise in Smash but this looks like a hoax to me.

bolo

Smash Rookie
God, I really hope Roy doesn't come back. I love both Marth and Lucina, but we do not need any more Marth clones.

shadowcontroller

Smash Apprentice
I don't know what to think about Ryu... I hope that if this is true, they change the moveset for Roy (a reasonnable amount) to make it different from Marth

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
They need to atleast put mewtwo For glory gameplay to show if he's competitively viable, thats the man reason were looking at smash news

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
...eh... BandaiNamco is helping with the game, and we got Capcom Ryu?... the new SF is a Playstation4 exclusive... it's fishy al least...

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't it be funny if Nintendo imported all of the other major fighting game franchises into smash.
aka
Ryu- street fighter
Doctor Doom - MVC
Morrigan or J talbik(the werewolf guy) - Darkstalkers
Sigfreid - Soul caliber
ECT
I am in support of this.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wouldn't it be funny if Nintendo imported all of the other major fighting game franchises into smash.
aka
Ryu- street fighter
Doctor Doom - MVC
Morrigan or J talbik(the werewolf guy) - Darkstalkers
Sigfreid - Soul caliber
ECT
I am in support of this.
No it'd be terrible.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
If Roy does happen to come back, he'll need some serious Luigification. As for Ryu, that's just a no. I'd at least believe it if his victory theme wasn't completely unchanged.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It's probably Ryu Habausa, if it's real.
I mean, Capcom already has a rep :4megaman:.

Ryu could also refer to Ryu Hayabusa, Tecmo's "main character," as gratitude for their work on Metroid Other M and Hyrule Warriors. Also a pretty rad character from the NES era.

Anyway, has this been independently confirmed by anyone else? Surely there's more than one person in the world who can dig into 3DS game files.

Last edited:

GamefreakDX

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-6277-7612
I'm not sure what to believe on this. Apparently they were found in the 3DS files and I'm not sure if anyone's confirmed that. I'd like to see Ryu in just becuase I'd be curious of what his moveset could be, but Roy? No thanks. We already have a Roy Koopaling and Lucina.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
We dont need 3 blue haired swordsman with the same moveset.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
It's probably Ryu Habausa, if it's real.
I mean, Capcom already has a rep :4megaman:.
Yeah, it's Ryu Hayabusa for sure, even though the music is VERY SPECIFICALLY the theme of Ryu from Street Fighter 2, and the victory screen music from SF2. That makes perfect sense!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yeah, it's Ryu Hayabusa for sure, even though the music is VERY SPECIFICALLY the theme of Ryu from Street Fighter 2, and the victory screen music from SF2. That makes perfect sense!
The music is most definitely fake. Not only would it be incredibly easy to just slap on something completely unchanged and claim you found it in the game, there is no reason for there to be a Retro SFII stage on the 3DS version. U, maybe, but not 3DS, since the only portable main series Street Fighter game was Super Street Fighter IV 3D.
The filenames might not be fake, however.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'm not sure what to believe on this. Apparently they were found in the 3DS files and I'm not sure if anyone's confirmed that. I'd like to see Ryu in just becuase I'd be curious of what his moveset could be, but Roy? No thanks. We already have a Roy Koopaling and Lucina.
Isn't it pretty obvious what Ryu's moves will be? If you've ever played Street Fighter they basically write themselves.

B: Hadouken
Up+B: Shoryuken
Forward+B or Forward Smash: his mule kick from SF3
Down+B: "The pipes are broken"

Final Smash is either Shinkuu Hadouken laser or Shin Shoryuken.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
God, I really hope Roy doesn't come back. I love both Marth and Lucina, but we do not need any more Marth clones.
So don't buy him? It's not hurting anyone else's chances of getting in considering how easy he'd be to make.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This is pretty laughable. Reminds me of the icons "hidden" (not really) in SSB3D of W101, Nintendo Land (which was way too tall), and a really lame bow-tie.

And there's tons of Ryus. Even if it were real then I sincerely doubt Sakurai would put SF Ryu in because of what he's said about the character.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Roy's our boy!

I hope this is true. And I hope Roy is significantly different from Marth. Hopefully a full new moveset.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Can't wait for another lame Marth clone!

Can't wait for two more anime-esque characters in the game!!

Yay!!!!

I miss the day when those kind of characters were the exception in Smash. The series is almost becoming one of those anime fighters at this point. When it comes to third party characters, people ask for Bomberman, Banjo & Kazooie, Simon Belmont, etc and what Sakurai gives us? ****ing Ryu.

Of course it could be all fake, but still. Knowing Sakurai, it is likely real.

Top Bottom