• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumor: Is Shovel Knight Coming To Super Smash Bros?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Big fans and players of Smash 4 have been heavily speculating who may or may not be incoming as DLC especiall with the Smash Ballot factoring into this decision. Shovel Knight, having been Smashified and requested by many fans has been one of these characters facing a lot of speculation.

That speculation is going to heat up even further. Nintendo Life is reporting on a rumor that Shovel Knight may very well be coming to Super Smash Bros. "We've been in touch with multiple sources within the video game retail sector - which we sadly can't name as it could lead to their dismissal - who claim that Shovel Knight is indeed about to make to his Smash Bros. début, and there will be an amiibo figure to accompany this grand event."

The following video talks about this rumor and some of the interesting facts surrounding it. Could this have a grain of truth? Give it a watch and sound off in the comments!

SmashCapps is poised with rapt attention to see if this turns out to be real. To speculate with him go give him a follow on Twitter.

Writer's Note: Hey guys SmashCapps here. They discussed in the comments of the video that they know the amiibo art is fake. I also just used the Smashified art for the top post so it would have nice art (it is not related to the rumor). I just noticed the first few comments missed the major point of the video for these things that industry contacts were telling Nintendo Life that this was a possible thing happening. Thanks again for reading!

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
NO THANKS.

Honestly, the only indie (well, not really anymore) character that should be in Smash is Shantea.

If he happens I will give up on smash speculation.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Interesting a newer indie/ third party would make it in smash over other certain big characters, I guess we can't rool any character out.

Last edited:

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
I'm tired of rumors. Only accepting actual confirmations by Nintendo themselves now.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The amiibo listing was already debunked, was it not? By Yacht Club themselves? And the fact that they used @HextupleyooDOT 's art with it?

That kind of kills this a bit. Granted I wouldn't be mad if it is true (I love the character), but I'd have to eat some serious crow as well when it comes to indies in Smash. :p

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The amiibo listing was already debunked, was it not? By Yacht Club themselves? And the fact that they used @HextupleyooDOT 's art with it?

That kind of kills this a bit. Granted I wouldn't be mad if it is true (I love the character), but I'd have to eat some serious crow as well when it comes to indies in Smash. :p
Er, well, they can't say it's legit either...

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just need a new character to be announced. The suspense is killing me.

AEFrazzleCandy

Smash Cadet
NNID
GatorCrash
This I think could very well happen. Even though I have never played the actual game, he does look like a suitable character for move sets and all. All I know is, if it comes out, I will be sure to give Shovel Knight a shot.

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
NO THANKS.

Honestly, the only indie (well, not really anymore) character that should be in Smash is Shantea.

If he happens I will give up on smash speculation.
What's so bad about shovel knight? We don't need all old school characters for DLC if that's what you're going to say, and the argument that Shovel Knight is on other consoles is pretty dumb since we've already had Snake. I'd love for both Shovel Knight and Shantae to be put in to represent indie titles, but whatever.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd love to have Shovel Knight, but that amiibo thing is BS.

AEFrazzleCandy

Smash Cadet
NNID
GatorCrash
What's so bad about shovel knight? We don't need all old school characters for DLC if that's what you're going to say, and the argument that Shovel Knight is on other consoles is pretty dumb since we've already had Snake. I'd love for both Shovel Knight and Shantae to be put in to represent indie titles, but whatever.
Shantae too is an awesome choice, but still, we will have to see if they'll consider.

I'd love to have Shovel Knight, but that amiibo thing is BS.

I got mine via Amazon, so I have no idea what the stores are like. I just listen to everyone's horror stories about dem. XD

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Considering Sakurai explicitly stated that he won't just add any third-party characters, along with the fact that every single third-party character we got was legitimately iconic to a wider gaming audience, I don't believe this rumour for a moment considering Shovel Knight is the definition of "just any third-party character"

_gold_

Smash Master
I voted for Shovel Knight. I would love to see him in Smash!

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

No offense to any Shovel Knight fans, but he does NOT deserve to get in.
I mean, every third party that we have gotten so far are all iconic and have Nintendo history.
Shovel Knight sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Not only did he appear in only one game, but it came out LAST YEAR. He isn't even close to being Smash worthy.
Not to mention, having him over Snake would NOT go over well with alot of Smash fans.
If he does get in, though, I'm glad for his fans.
That said, his inclusion breaks the fanmade rule that every third party needs to be a gaming icon to appear. It unnecessarily opens so many doors to other more obscure third parties. I mean, his game isn't even out in JAPAN.
I really don't want him to be in because that means so MANY doors will be opened.
Long story short, his inclusion could make Smash more bloated and full of no names.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239

When it comes to rumors it's always healthy to take things with a grain of salt, but keep in mind Yacht Club also denied there being a physical release of Shovel Knight in the past when Best Buy put up a listing. And that ended up being legit. Besides, it's not like they would risk breaking an NDA to confirm if it's true. :p

As for the artwork, whoever was running the page for that retailer probably just threw up something from google as a placeholder. Wouldn't have been the first time something like that happened. I think Capcom did something similar with fan-art for Mega Man 10, and Sony actually used the Smash render of Mega Man for one of their promotional images.

The person running that youtube account is fairly credible, which is the main reason I'm not outright dismissing this. Thankfully we won't have to wait long to see how things pan out.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I don't want to offend anyone. I really don't want to.
I'm just worried that his possible inclusion is a sign of things to come.
Namely, more obscure third parties will be considered.
I mean, even the most die hard Shovel Knight fans have to admit that he's not a gaming icon. It's crazy to think otherwise.

HONY

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1450-7268
In response to the mass of "not iconic enough" posts all I have to say is this: If Shovel Knight was voted in via massive vote surge in the ballot then you are simply wrong. That level of popularity is the only significance of whether or not he's "Iconic" which, mind you, has nothing to do with how OLD something is. Shovel Knight could be so instantly Iconic that he'll be the first indie character to bust his way into smash. Either way, if this is announced he IS certified iconic due to the votes being proof, and if he isn't then you are correct and he wasn't iconic enough! ONLY time will tell.

And in regards to "the ballot hasn't closed yet": they have not explicitly stated that they wouldn't be putting any new characters out using the ballot before it closes. I'm sure they got right to work on some of the very high voted characters right away.

Full disclosure: I expect King K. Rool and Shovel Knight to be coming along at some point AND they are the two characters I voted for. I'm very optimistic.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior

To be fair, a physical release was also debunked by Yatch Club in the same way, and Inkling amiibos were leaked in the same way (also using generic art off the internet) so...

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Well I am pretty sure if it were legit Yacht Club couldn't say it was at this time.

Top Bottom