• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Sooo

How about Roy as a Robin clone? He won't use different swords, just the SoS. Roy will also have a gimmick where there's a 50/50 chance a spell cast may misfire. If that happens, Roy will take damage and explode. He'll be the new Pichu. :troll:

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Sooo

How about Roy as a Robin clone? He won't use different swords, just the SoS. Roy will also have a gimmick where there's a 50/50 chance a spell cast may misfire. If that happens, Roy will take damage and explode. He'll be the new Pichu. :troll:
Surely we should be trying to preserve cut movesets, not make more FE Clones.
Roy is the new Snake. He has all of the old codecs, with the exact same lines. Eliwood is Colonel, Lyn is Mei Ling, Hector is Otocon and Ridley is Slippy. His final smash is reskined from a grenade launcher to throwing flaming swords at people. UB is a Pegasus knight. It all fits guys! :troll:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Roy throwing flaming swords?! Haha, reminds me of the ranged Ragnell attack in Awakening. The user just chucks the sword at the opponent and it comes back like a boomerang. Who needs to fire magic projectiles when you could just throw the sword itself?

Guys, I think I found a way that Roy can squeeze into the game.

Art by FuPoo.

:troll:

No, but seriously, Roy's our boy.
This is hilarious. Now I'm imaging Roy learning that he's not in Smash 4, so he kidnaps Roy Koopa and ties the overgrown turtle up. He then puts on a Roy Koopa costume and basically jumps in the Clown Car pretending to be a Koopa lol.

Steelia

Smash Champion
So, despite what Sakurai said before regarding the not-wanting-to-make-seperate-characters-be-alternate-costumes talk, it seems there are going to be some in the game.. I don't think it's impossible for Roy to be an alt. of Marth or Lucina.
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him as an alt for Marth, ironically. Though Sakurai mentioned if fighter stats differed enough, they could be their own chars... Pretty sure Marth's sword doesn't light on fire, but I digress :p It was confirmed at that recent Japanese 3DS demo thing that alternate costumes DO get their names (Olimar has an alt named Alph, and the announcer literally says "Pikmin & Alph" when you choose him/when he wins). Hearing "Roy", even if under Marth, would be totally~ fine by me.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him as an alt for Marth, ironically. Though Sakurai mentioned if fighter stats differed enough, they could be their own chars... Pretty sure Marth's sword doesn't light on fire, but I digress :p It was confirmed at that recent Japanese 3DS demo thing that alternate costumes DO get their names (Olimar has an alt named Alph, and the announcer literally says "Pikmin & Alph" when you choose him/when he wins). Hearing "Roy", even if under Marth, would be totally~ fine by me.
Already thought of a solution to the no-fire-effects-for-alt-costumes problem. Just don't give him the Sword of Seals. Simple as that.

Hmm? Blasphemy you say? Taking away his signature sword? Don't worry, you'll be fine with it..

...since he'll be using his Awakening design.

My hope is this: We get a little blessing from Sakurai's bias. We already know that he's a fan of the Fire Emblem series. He's most likely played through Awakening at this point, and upon seeing Roy (who is, in a way, one of his quasi-babies since he helped to localize FE by putting Marth/Roy in Melee) and his redesign, thought he looked like a total BAMF and had to be included in the new Smash. Even if it was only just as a costume.

So yeah.. Here's hoping to dat Sakurai bias playing in our favor.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
The SoS is such a unique weapon, Roy really deserves to be de-cloned. The sword's so much cooler than the Falchion imo. Alas, that may never happen. If Roy absolutely cannot get in, I'm not sure how I'll feel if his an alt costume. It's better than nothing though, I'll say that.

And bedsides, if he's an alt, Roy may not be DLC in the future. And we all know that Roy's gonna be DLC...

to help promote the upcoming, 2015 FE6 remake. :troll:

Hey, one can dream!

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Already thought of a solution to the no-fire-effects-for-alt-costumes problem. Just don't give him the Sword of Seals. Simple as that.

Hmm? Blasphemy you say? Taking away his signature sword? Don't worry, you'll be fine with it..

...since he'll be using his Awakening design.

My hope is this: We get a little blessing from Sakurai's bias. We already know that he's a fan of the Fire Emblem series. He's most likely played through Awakening at this point, and upon seeing Roy (who is, in a way, one of his quasi-babies since he helped to localize FE by putting Marth/Roy in Melee) and his redesign, thought he looked like a total BAMF and had to be included in the new Smash. Even if it was only just as a costume.

So yeah.. Here's hoping to dat Sakurai bias playing in our favor.
I don't think the flame sword is a problem at all. If the PM crew could make Dr. Mario an alt for Mario, successfully replacing the fireballs with pills and f-smash with the electric-looking effect, a fiery sword tracer + some extra added effects for a Lucina alt costume isn't beyond possibility, especially since Sm4sh isn't a mod and Nintendo can do whatever they want.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I don't think the flame sword is a problem at all. If the PM crew could make Dr. Mario an alt for Mario, successfully replacing the fireballs with pills and f-smash with the electric-looking effect, a fiery sword tracer + some extra added effects for a Lucina alt costume isn't beyond possibility, especially since Sm4sh isn't a mod and Nintendo can do whatever they want.
The thing is, fire does more than just making an attack look more flashy. It can thaw out frozen opponents, activate explosive, and deal zero damage to Red Pikmin (as well as being super effective against Ivysaur).

I already learnt this on the Dr. Mario thread. Changing the effect of one attack is enough to make it a different move althogeter.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
The thing is, fire does more than just making an attack look more flashy. It can thaw out frozen opponents, activate explosive, and deal zero damage to Red Pikmin (as well as being super effective against Ivysaur).

I already learnt this on the Dr. Mario thread. Changing the effect of one attack is enough to make it a different move althogeter.
Ah, damn, forgot about the frozen and explosive things.

Oh well. Maybe there's still a way.

Steelia

Smash Champion

It's bitter-sweet. If you really want to reach, I guess there's always his Awakening design... but... (This is a Marth alt color, btw.)

Last edited:

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016

It's bitter-sweet. If you really want to reach, I guess there's always his Awakening design... but... (This is a Marth alt color, btw.)
Well, there it is. At least he got some recognition.

The pain.

Last edited:

Psionic

Smash Journeyman

oh well, someone will probably eventually make a texture hack. i'd use it if it was good enough. good thing that roy's noticed, though.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Oh. Interesting.

Though, just like I said in the Wolf thread, just because there's a costume based on him doesn't mean he's out of the game. There could be hope, if they plan to use his Awakening outfit.

However, I think this might be the highest we'll ever get to a playable Roy in Smash 4...

Oh well. At least he gets some recognition.

Last edited:

•Col•

Smash Champion
>not even red hair

Nintendo are you even trying?
Yeah, what the hell?

Go look at the Lucina alt colors. That's how you do it. If they were trying to make a Roy alt here, why couldn't they at least change the hair color??

Honeslty, I think the recolor actually resembles Eliwood's colors more. Probably due to the face that Marth's clothes resemble Eliwood's more than they do Roy's..

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yeah, what the hell?

Go look at the Lucina alt colors. That's how you do it. If they were trying to make a Roy alt here, why couldn't they at least change the hair color??

Honeslty, I think the recolor actually resembles Eliwood's colors more. Probably due to the face that Marth's clothes resemble Eliwood's more than they do Roy's..

Then again, he has a purple cape, just like Melee Roy...

Steelia

Smash Champion
Don't do this to yourself.

*Eliwood's pic just there for comparison.

Starting from top line:
Same purple cape exterior.
Same armor color (dark blue as opposed to Eliwood's turquoise).
Same bright yellow rim.
Same magenta-red cape interior.
Same sword hilt color (yellow, after Sword of Seals).
Same clothing color.
Same color at top of the boots (light blue).
Same metal piece (silver).

A very clear nod to Roy's SSBM palette.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Eh? I wasn't at all trying to imply anything by stating that it looked more like Eliwood to me. I even said it was because Marth's clothes resemble Eliwood's more.

I didn't think much of the purple-ish cape since Roy's official art doesn't have it, so I wasn't even thinking of his Melee iteration. But yeah, the boots are definitely really close to Roy's.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman

*Eliwood's pic just there for comparison.

Starting from top line:
Same purple cape exterior.
Same armor color (dark blue as opposed to Eliwood's turquoise).
Same bright yellow rim.
Same magenta-red cape interior.
Same sword hilt color (yellow, after Sword of Seals).
Same clothing color.
Same color at top of the boots (light blue).
Same metal piece (silver).

A very clear nod to Roy's SSBM palette.
i hope they at least give him red hair. i would be perfectly fine with the entire roster as long as marth's roy alt had red hair.

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
i hope they at least give him red hair. i would be perfectly fine with the entire roster as long as marth's roy alt had red hair.
To me, red hair would make the alt even more mocking than it already is.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Does... Does this mean...? :(:crying: At least I can cope with this. EDIT: Psych, no. training dummy penalty for you, Marth.

If at any point they want to bring Roy back officially, I would love to see his Awakening design too.

Last edited:

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
....DLC with his Awakening design, anyone?
Yeah, I think if we somehow manage to get Roy as a DLC character, he'd be with his Awakening DLC appearance (because DLC onto DLC!).

By the way, what happens to these 'Unconfirmed Veteran' topics when DLC isn't announced/they're not in the DLC?

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
I always drown my pain in gifs.

R.I.P. Our Boy. May you return to us in DLC.

Last edited:

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I didn't come around, but I was really hoping Roy would come back, now that he for sure won't be in initially anyways, (except for a kinda bullcrap color for Marth) I wanted to say my farewells.

Who knows though, he might make a comeback for DLC in the future and if he does we shall rejoice. For now though we rest. Till next time whether it's because he makes it as DLC or in the next Smash altogether (I bet on DLC though). :)

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
While technically that Marth colour doesn't disconfirm Roy (I mean, what's with keeping the blue hair? Look at Lucina's colour swaps), things don't look too good. I'll be honest with you, even before the Gematsu leak, I didn't think Roy making the initial roster was all that likely and that DLC would be the best bet (I've even had friends tell me to grab the tissue boxes that early lol). So, I've already shed my tears looong ago. However, I just wanna say thanks to all the Roy fans and supporters out there. Extra special thanks for all the help against the detractors -- it's been a wild ride. As for me, I hope to stick around for a while lol. I'm starting to get into Project M seriously, and I hope to take my Roy to tourneys someday.

Our boy's PH1R3 hasn't died out yet -- Roy has flames of a Moltres, and like a phoenix he'll surely rise again... someday.

And I know it may be a very sad time, but I hate leaving things on a depressing note. So here's Eliwood and young Roy:

so cute

i died

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
It's different because of the alternate costume that became characters, so I don't think it would make sense to give Marth Roy hair. Or it would give it appearance of alternate costumes. Since Roy already appeared as a character, Roy hair would make it awkward. All Lucina's costumes are characters that wouldnt be in Smash anyway.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We fought long and hard Roy fans. Its time to rest.

Sure Roy did not return, but Smash 4 in general was heavy on cuts, and even the iconic Mewtwo (who was basically the most wanted character) did not return. Even the veteran of Melee and Brawl, Ice Climbers, was cut (though likely due to technical limitations). Lucas and Wolf too had very little reason to be cut.

Hopefully, Roy will return (along with all or most of the other cut veterans) as DLC. However, even if he does not, we still have Melee and Project M to continue having good time with our fiery Fire Emblem lord. Particularly Project M looks like a nice game to complement Smash 4 (right now there are eight characters exclusive to Project M not in Smash 4, and five more planned newcomers for the game).

Sure we didn't get exactly what we wanted, but we sort of did as well (being able to play a high-quality Roy alongside the rest of Brawl's veterans in a game with the same speed and depth as Melee).

We had it quite rough compared to a lot of other fanbases, but we fought to the end. Roy will always have a special place in my heart as my Melee main and the character that got me into Fire Emblem.

For myself and every other Roy fan:

ROY'S OUR BOY!

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
DLC HYPE TIME!
WE JUST NEED ONE MORE MELEE VETERAN TO MAKE A COMEBACK!
:sheep::happysheep::beezo::bomb::disco::denzel::i6rkW::shyguy::drsad::colorful::roypm::mewtwopm:
I'm not keeping my hopes high. But yeah, there's chance for Roy to be back. I wonder why they are taking so long for Mewtwo. They can't take THAT MUCH for only one character, considering how many characters are there in SSB4, and it took 2 years and half to develop, with game modes and all.

Unless you meant the Ice Climbers--

Poor Roy, he was the only veteran without a trophy (Snake too, but he's 3rd party so no), could there be any possibiltiy with DLC? we'll see...
True, which is why I'm not remaining too enthusiastic. Mewtwo is a much more special case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom