• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Do you guys think if Mewtwo returned Roy should as well?
If light of recent discussions, if Dr. Mario of all vets could return, Roy should be able to as well. He still has his distinct playstyle of "the closer you are to him, the stronger his attacks are" that none of the other swordsmen have (Ike might, but not to this obvious extreme), and with Lucina being the full-on Marth clone, Roy could be changed up like how the Project M team handled him.

Frankly, he could be made to be one of the most unique sword wielders; the Sword of Seals acts as both a great short-ranged AND longer-ranged weapon, able to spew fire from the blade to hit foes further from him. That'd be amazing to see incorporated. Even having his sword become engulfed in flames while he uses strong attacks would be awesome. It's a shame Sakurai doesn't see the same potential, probably still looking at him as merely an outdated promotional character. Roy's a pretty cool dude.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
No, Leif is the worst. At least Roy has growths and stats, Leif has Jeigan growths, in other words, almost nothing, and he needs to be in every level of the game, and because AI likes to gang **** lords and the RNG is really cruel in Thracia, Leif will die and die like a billion times. Roy has nothing interesting to look at other that he has a harem composed by a stalker nomad, a pegasus knight, a mage princess that is his potential cousin, a pleasure dancer, a half dragon and his pervert teacher. And he has red hair. With this presented, Chrom looks boring in comparison.
Don't forget the flaming sword. Don't forget the fire!

I like Roy for a million other reasons though, but at least design wise he's different than the traditional blue-haired Lord. And ever since Melee, I really liked his clothes. Plus, that DLC design -even if it's just a Merc's design- is very well done, if he was older, he'd definitely look awesome like that.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If light of recent discussions, if Dr. Mario of all vets could return, Roy should be able to as well.
Even though I know that the 'leaker' chose Dr. Mario deliberately to exploit Sakurai's "If two characters have a slight difference between them, I give them a separate character slot" quote, I do think that a cut Melee veteran would be a great addition, and I have no doubts that this veteran is part of Melee's Forbidden Seven Trio: Roy:roymelee: Mewtwo :mewtwomelee: and Dr. Mario:drmario:. I guess there's no doubting that Mewtwo will return, but I think it'd be nice if Roy was brought back too.

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
I'm not holding my breath, honestly. I'd LOVE for him to return since he's my bb boytoyroy but I'm keeping my expectations low.

:ness:

•Col•

Smash Champion
Goddamn it; all these leaks, and we still don't know if Roy's gonna make it.
I'm losing hope.
Well, since the leak is looking more and more real, it matches up with the Ninka leak.. There was this bit of info:

-Each character gets 8 alternate costumes, whether they be pallet swaps or new costumes.
-Alph appears as 4 of Olimar's costumes, while the other 4 are Olimar's.
-Bowser Jr appears as a new comer and allegedly fights from a mario kart... has no alt colors, but instead has the 7 koopalings as alts.
So, despite what Sakurai said before regarding the not-wanting-to-make-seperate-characters-be-alternate-costumes talk, it seems there are going to be some in the game.. I don't think it's impossible for Roy to be an alt. of Marth or Lucina.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
Well, since the leak is looking more and more real, it matches up with the Ninka leak.. There was this bit of info:

So, despite what Sakurai said before regarding the not-wanting-to-make-seperate-characters-be-alternate-costumes talk, it seems there are going to be some in the game.. I don't think it's impossible for Roy to be an alt. of Marth or Lucina.
I WANT TO BELIEVE

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Y'know, since we don't know anything about Lucina other than her strongly clone-like feel, it might just be that she's designed to go in close, which would make Roy a very possible alt (Robin may not be the only gender bender around here).

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I hope Roy makes it in somehow. Out of all the Melee Veterans why choose Dr. Mario?

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
I'm doubtful on Roy. We seem to have 5 characters left after the leak, and given we already have 4 FE characters, Wolf and Lucas seem more likely as far as semi/Quasi/whateveri-clones go. Mewtwo must return if anyone from melee does. So we're probably down to 2 character slots for Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Roy, Pichu, Young Link and Ice Climbers.

Ice Climbers override Roy unless there is technical difficulties keeping them out altogether, and while Roy is probably 2nd most likely on that list, it would only take 1/2 more non-leaked newcomers to kill him. (Dixie, K. Rool, Isaac, etc) It just doesn't seem likely he'll be back.

IF DLC happens Roy will probably be in the first batch. Thats as much as I can see as of now. (But then I once laughed at Dark Pit supporters, so what would I know:upsidedown:)

As for Why Dr.M got in over Roy, I assume a FLUDDless Mario was considered more important, especially given Mario doesn't have a "clone".

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
I'm doubtful on Roy. We seem to have 5 characters left after the leak, and given we already have 4 FE characters, Wolf and Lucas seem more likely as far as semi/Quasi/whateveri-clones go. Mewtwo must return if anyone from melee does. So we're probably down to 2 character slots for Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Roy, Pichu, Young Link and Ice Climbers.

Ice Climbers override Roy unless there is technical difficulties keeping them out altogether, and while Roy is probably 2nd most likely on that list, it would only take 1/2 more non-leaked newcomers to kill him. (Dixie, K. Rool, Isaac, etc) It just doesn't seem likely he'll be back.

IF DLC happens Roy will probably be in the first batch. Thats as much as I can see as of now. (But then I once laughed at Dark Pit supporters, so what would I know:upsidedown:)

As for Why Dr.M got in over Roy, I assume a FLUDDless Mario was considered more important, especially given Mario doesn't have a "clone".
i would say he's third most likely on that list, with ice climbers being the most and snake being a close second.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Roy still has a chance, we have that possibility that characters will appear as alt costumes, on the off chance that Sakurai decides to disregard his old move set and make him a Lucina, Marth, or Ike Full Clone.

We also have the whisperings of DLC.

One thing I will say the inclusion of Dr. Mario (a melee vet) means good things for other melee vets.

Perhaps Pichu, Young Link, and Roy will be costumes.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'd rather have Roy not appearing instead of him being doomed to be nothing more than a costume. He honestly deserves more than the other cut clones; he at least manages to play very differently from his base.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I'd rather have Roy not appearing instead of him being doomed to be nothing more than a costume. He honestly deserves more than the other cut clones; he at least manages to play very differently from his base.
All I see is flames come out his sword which Ike already has so yeah. Honestly I prefer better (no offense) lords than him.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
No one else have thought as Roy returning as an IKE clone instead of a marth clone?.

I can totally see this happening taking in account the fire blades of both. ROy would be a faster weaker version of Ike´s

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
All I see is flames come out his sword which Ike already has so yeah. Honestly I prefer better (no offense) lords than him.
Roy's gameplay differs vastly from Marth's for one tiny reason: the placement of the sweetspot in his blade. Marth's power is focused on the tip, allowing him to overthrowing his opponents by keeping them from a safe distance, which is aided by his speed and decent recovery. Roy's power is concentrated on the hilt, meaning he has to get at point-blank range to be more effective, which is hindered by his lack of speed and awful recovery, making him a living double-edged sword.

Plus, fire has additional effects other than aesthetic (not to mention the fact that Ike only has one fire attack, and he never uses [red] fire in his game, unlike Roy).

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
he doesn't deserve more recognition than all of them. as much as i mained him in melee and main him in P:M, he doesn't seem likely when you realize that there's another marth clone already, there are 4 FE reps, and on top of this, the common opinion of roy is "a ****tier marth with red hair and a headband who isn't even good in his own game." i've played his game, and it really doesn't make me want him in any less, but it's completely understandable how some people don't want him in. most of the western audience hasn't played FE6 or fire emblems released in japan only, so that leaves them with only and impression left from melee, which is "a ****tier marth with red hair and a headband. also, there's literally no way that roy deserves a spot more than lucas or wolf. i want roy in a lot, but it's not happening.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
By cut clones I was referring the ones in Melee. You know, Dr. Mario, Young Link and Pichu. Sure, all of them (Roy included) are from franchises that don't really need more "representation", but at least Roy stands out from the lot for at least being a separate entity from his base (as so are Falco and Ganondorf).

And by deserving, I wasn't necessarily talking about recognition, I meant that if he were to come back, he should return with several improvements, to solidify who he is in Smash; a double-edged, hi risk hi reward type of character, a trait that usually isn't seen being what truly defines a character in Smash. In other words, making him his own character, no longer overshadowed by Marth. In my eyes, he has the potential to do that.

Plus, not everyone in the world hates Roy in Melee because not everyone in the world have to play according to what the tiers say, and not everyone necessarily hates him because of how lackluster he is in his game. There is some demand for him, albeit not as vocal as that for other characters.

I do concede that he doesn't deserve a spot over Wolf or Lucas, but neither did, supposedly, Dr. Mario. Plus, we have yet to learn if they were truly disconfirmed anyway (that is to say, their removal is yet to be confirmed).

In the end, though, it wouldn't really matter that much what I think, he's pretty much boned. But hey, having even a sliver of optimism isn't hazardous...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
By cut clones I was referring the ones in Melee. You know, Dr. Mario, Young Link and Pichu. Sure, all of them (Roy included) are from franchises that don't really need more "representation", but at least Roy stands out from the lot for at least being a separate entity from his base (as so are Falco and Ganondorf).
He's also one of the two secret characters that were added to the game which were originally supposed to stay Japan-only, but thankfully caught on with Nintendo of America to be in the localised versions. Had they stayed Japan-exclusive, Fire Emblem wouldn't be as popular as it is today, and that's thanks to the inclusion of Marth and Roy in Melee.:marthmelee::roymelee: Two newcomers representing their series for the first time in Super Smash Bros and representing their series as a whole to the western audience. I bet that without them, these three :4robinm::4robinf::4myfriends: :4lucina: wouldn't even be half the characters that they are today.

By the way, I just want to bring up this point: Is Roy more liked by the Japanese players of Fire Emblem?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
He's also one of the two secret characters that were added to the game which were originally supposed to stay Japan-only, but thankfully caught on with Nintendo of America to be in the localised versions. Had they stayed Japan-exclusive, Fire Emblem wouldn't be as popular as it is today, and that's thanks to the inclusion of Marth and Roy in Melee.:marthmelee::roymelee: Two newcomers representing their series for the first time in Super Smash Bros and representing their series as a whole to the western audience. I bet that without them, these three :4robinm::4robinf::4myfriends: :4lucina: wouldn't even be half the characters that they are today.

By the way, I just want to bring up this point: Is Roy more liked by the Japanese players of Fire Emblem?
That's one of the reasons I would consider Roy important to the franchise, since he, along with Marth, technically were the ones that made the FE series reach overseas. So, in a sense, he deserves to get at least some recognition, at least an acknowledgement of what his inclusion in Melee meant to the franchise.

That's just what I think, though.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I really don't know if Roy will be in as there are already 4 FE reps...and I'm not sure what their limit is going to be. I'm still but hurt Lyndis isn't playable even if her game was from 10 years ago. But I'm sure there are people like me wishing that Roy and Lyndis were announced instead of Lucina and Robin.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
To be honest I was actually hoping Robin would show up as an Awakening rep, mostly because he/she's actually pretty awesome, but mostly to avoid Chrom from getting in.

Lucina kinda made that idea sink, but I was pretty satisfied, regardless.

(I was kinda hoping for Roy to show up somewhere in the trailer though... *wishful thinking*)

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Like I said, his different sweetspot, as minimal as it may sound, does affect the way both characters play. Marth has keep the oppenents from a distance for a safer and effective fight, encouraging the player to strike without being at much risk. Roy, on the other hand, has to rush into the foe recklessly to dish out brutal damage, forcing one to play very carefully, knowing they're in a bad position all the time.

Or at least, that's the way I see it. :roymelee:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
The difference is that Marth uses a sword and Roy uses a pool noodle.

Nah, I'm only messing with you. I can see Roy as possible DLC but not much else.

•Col•

Smash Champion
No one else have thought as Roy returning as an IKE clone instead of a marth clone?.

I can totally see this happening taking in account the fire blades of both. ROy would be a faster weaker version of Ike´s
It's possible. Would just be weird since Roy can't actually use Aether. Other than that it'd make sense.

Especially considering they were both considered Hero classes in Awakening. I wouldn't actually be surprised at all to see an Awakening Roy alt for Ike.

JanitorOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
JanitorOfTermina
As much as i want Roy to return were not gonna get him in ssb4 my proof of this well... Lucina plays alot like Roy, since Lucina is a Marth clone we don't need another one, Fire emblem has enough reps, finally if Roy was gonna be in ssb4 he would probably be an alt for marth.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
As much as i want Roy to return were not gonna get him in ssb4 my proof of this well... Lucina plays alot like Roy, since Lucina is a Marth clone we don't need another one, Fire emblem has enough reps, finally if Roy was gonna be in ssb4 he would probably be an alt for marth.
Why do so many people assume Roy absolutely must be a standalone character? The fact that Lucina doesn't have a tipper makes it all the more believable that an alt costume would make sense. Just an effect/model/SFX swap like PM did with Dr. Mario, essentially, but on Lucina + name change (something we've already seen with Zelda/Sheik and PKMN Trainer). If Robin can have a female costume, I'm sure Lucina could have her hair shortened, recolored, gear swapped, etc. The potential!

Last edited:

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Why do so many people assume Roy absolutely must be a standalone character? The fact that Lucina doesn't have a tipper makes it all the more believable that an alt costume would make sense. Just an effect/model/SFX swap like PM did with Dr. Mario, essentially, but on Lucina + name change (something we've already seen with Zelda/Sheik and PKMN Trainer). If Robin can have a female costume, I'm sure Lucina could have her hair shortened, recolored, gear swapped, etc. The potential!
This actually could be one reason why Lucina was separated into her own character. A lot of people wanted the Marth - tipper moveset back, so maybe Roy and Lucina were both going to be Marth alts, but Sakurai decided against it, so spun them both off into another character. Lucina is the "default" because she is a newcomer and Awakening is recent. (I'm curious as to how All-Star mode will handle this though - probably just ignore Roy). I would be surprised if Lucina didn't at least get Roy's fire moves as customs, so it would only be fitting that she has a Roy costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom