1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

3. Looking for the perfect gift for that Smasher in your life? Maybe even yourself? Use the Smashboards Store to get any awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo White Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

Roy

Discussion in 'Unconfirmed Smash Veterans' started by Xiivi, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Xiivi

Xiivi has no friends. I'm dead inside.

• Administrator
    • Premium
    • Back Roomer

Discuss all information pertaining to Roy in this thread.

:roy:
  2. xXIke-SamaXx

xXIke-SamaXx Smash Lord

Nintendo Network ID:
    Azureflame92
    Nah Roy isn't coming back, there's nothing supporting Roy in fact his game is old and he was already removed one...and if the redesign was your redeeming point, remember that "he isn't the only character with a redesign" and if you saw his game model you will know they barely worked in him....
    PTSD Espurr and Commander like this.
  3. TheFirstPoppyBro

TheFirstPoppyBro Certified Kawaiitologist

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    2449-4708-5381
    Nintendo Network ID:
    breloomer236
    Then again, Roy was in the Forbidden 7, removed due to time constraints. It's not too unreasonable to say he could come back.
    CrusherMania1592 and WELM like this.
  4. Get Low

Get Low Smash Ace

Can't you let us dream?
    LHJarod likes this.
  5. xXIke-SamaXx

xXIke-SamaXx Smash Lord

Nintendo Network ID:
    Azureflame92
    Dream while you are sleeping bro, here we only work with facts , and facts aren't showing any sympathy with Roy's case...."My main in Melee is Roy"...

I hardly find the Forbidden 7 as a good point, no one knows why they were removed...time constraints could've been a factor but maybe they didn't want to include them...after all Sakurai single-handedly took over the balancing of characters...
  6. TheFirstPoppyBro

TheFirstPoppyBro Certified Kawaiitologist

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    2449-4708-5381
    Nintendo Network ID:
    breloomer236
    Well right now, there aren't ANY facts in terms of characters in Smash 4. When it comes to Roy, the fact is he was going to be in Brawl but didn't make it due to TIME.
  7. xXIke-SamaXx

xXIke-SamaXx Smash Lord

Nintendo Network ID:
    Azureflame92
    Ok give me a source of Sakurai saying he couldn't include Roy due to time....
  8. BSP

BSP Banned (6 Points)

Isn't some of Roy's data actually in Brawl?

Don't quote me on it, but I could've sworn some of it was.
  9. N3ON

N3ON Moderatrix

• Premium
    • Back Roomer

Roy is still the second most requested character in Japan, where character popularity matters more anyway. And while he wasn't in Brawl, it's not because he was "removed" as Young Link and Pichu were, he was still planned, and was the second closest to completion, which shows that Sakurai still cared about adding him.

And I wasn't using his redesign as a point for his inclusion, I was just commenting on how awesome it looks. But him appearing again, while one of many redesigned characters, doesn't hurt his chances.

The Forbidden 7 is a fine point. It's quite obvious Roy and the other 6 (except perhaps Dixie) weren't included due to time constraints, but all at one time had the intention to be included. If they didn't want to include them they wouldn't have gone to the effort of partially programming them. And Sakurai single-handedly balancing characters is nothing new to Brawl, he's been doing it since 64, and only now with SSB4 is getting help with it.
    Really Shy Guy likes this.
  10. xXIke-SamaXx

xXIke-SamaXx Smash Lord

Nintendo Network ID:
    Azureflame92
    Yes you are correct, but the thing is, there was no reason given why such big chunk of leftover data were there on first place, people are speculating that it is because of time constrains but I highly doubt it, I don't know but I think it's about Sakurai not wanting to balance any more characters...
  11. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    Didn't we tend to ignore Ike-Sama in the old thread.

Roy absolutely has a good shot. If his FIRE SWORD were played up in a new moveset, that'd make him much more interesting and stand out among the entire roster. The only other option for a Fire Emblem character is Krom. It's even possible Ike may leave.

PREDICTING FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS IS ALWAYS A MESS, but with only four options and it being likely that we'll have at least three characters from it, Roy's got it pretty good.
  12. sheik93

sheik93 Smash Ace

Do you have a source for this?
  13. N3ON

N3ON Moderatrix

• Premium
    • Back Roomer

I would be ecstatic if Roy returned, hopefully with at least a luigified moveset and his (godly) FE13 appearance.
    SchAlternate likes this.
  14. xXIke-SamaXx

xXIke-SamaXx Smash Lord

Nintendo Network ID:
    Azureflame92
    Krom is destroying Roy's chances....now Krom gotta be the most likeable Lord of all time in Fire Emblem....Roy have alot of haters (I hate him in his game he was weak)..... Ike chance are way higher than Roy's...it seems Intelligent Sys have high regards for Ike to...
  15. N3ON

N3ON Moderatrix

• Premium
    • Back Roomer

Chronobound's Japanese's findings:
    These results are a several weeks old, but most of the info is still probably fairly accurate.

My bad I forgot, though I can see why. ;):awesome:
  16. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    It's more like months old. Might have been before even Awakening was announced.
  17. sheik93

sheik93 Smash Ace

Hmm. Is this from him searching through a Smash Bros. fan forum or something? I can imagine that Smash Bros. fans would have a bias towards characters they know from Smash Bros. games, as opposed to the general public. I find it hard to believe that Roy is generally favored over Krom, especially with how well Fire Emblem: Awakening is selling in Japan.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not for or against Roy coming back.

Oh.. well, nevermind then.
  18. GTA_Hater_331

GTA_Hater_331 Smash Journeyman

I'd give Roy a 25% chance of returning. Fuuin No Tsurugi dates back to 2002, and despite his redesign in Awakening, I question whether his role there will be enough.
  19. N3ON

N3ON Moderatrix

• Premium
    • Back Roomer

It's from March. So, once Awakening came out, I would guess that Krom probably gained alot more support, but I'm not sure if that means Roy lost support or they're both fairly popular.

I could use some new ChronoBound findings. :laugh:

I believe it's the results of a few Smash forums or sites, but I don't know which ones. And yeah, I believe Krom is more popular than Roy right now in general, but Roy is still more requested for Smash. But those results I posted were older than I thought, so now it might be a little different, although even if Roy lost some popularity, he would still be one of the most requested.
  20. Metakill

Metakill Smash Journeyman

Please... Roy should back and replaces Ike
    With that, we can have a perfect FE roster <3
    btw, still the char with lowest % to come back, along with Pichu (in my opinion)
  21. xXIke-SamaXx

xXIke-SamaXx Smash Lord

Nintendo Network ID:
    Azureflame92
    Why should Roy replace Ike when Roy = Marth in SSBM and even in his game like most Lords Marth and Roy are similar in class and style....so Roy doesn't have anything that makes him special, there are way better candidates than Roy, he was put to promote the game...I remember reading Marth was the only character presenting Fire Emblem but it seems that Int Sys. have persuaded Sakurai to add Roy to boost the game sales....Ike was suggested by Int Sys. ....because Sakurai wanted a second Rep for SSBB....so you can say Roy never existed in SSB. he was only a one time character while Ike is considered the second character that Sakurai asked for.....
  22. Conviction

Conviction #SaltySplatoon

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    1907-8951-4471
    We did.

I keep hearing about a thrusty gameplay he should have.
  23. Fandangox

Fandangox Smash Ace

Too be honest I really hope Roy doens't return. He is one of the most boring lords in the series and he is really not all that interesting.

Plus he was Marth's clone in melee.

I'd rather see any other Fire Emblem Lord instead of him, or even better, a non lord character.

That'd be just too great to even happen.
  24. xXIke-SamaXx

xXIke-SamaXx Smash Lord

Nintendo Network ID:
    Azureflame92
    Someone speak something out of his mind, finally...Roy is only popular because he was in melee, if he wasn't in melee he would've been the last lord you'd want in your roster....he isn't that awesome in his game, in Fuuin no Tsurugi he sucks...literally even worse than his father Eliwood...you'd hate the game because of him of how sucky he can be....I wish Dieck or Oujay were the main characters atleast they wouldn't have sucked....

And what's the deal with ignoring me ? people should know better...you can't ignore everything you don't like....you must hear the bad and the good...and TBH you gotta admit I bring some damn good points about Roy.
  25. ---

3DS Friend Code:
    1719-3728-6991
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Tryphen
    Lol

Probably due to the fact that he's the Lord for IS's previously hinted FE All-Stars game, not to mention the fact that he takes things from the majority of previous male FE lords.

Marth's Sword, Ike's Style and Skills, Ephraim and Alm's personalities, Roy's special abilities (lances and whatnot), ect.

Should have some more in the info thread on the first page or so.

This.

Also am stealing this from my blog:

^^^ Used to have links included, so feel free to request them.
  26. xXIke-SamaXx

xXIke-SamaXx Smash Lord

Nintendo Network ID:
    Azureflame92
    Well you can't blame me for not knowing, but if you would share the links I appreciate it :).
  27. ---

3DS Friend Code:
    1719-3728-6991
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Tryphen
    Probably should have just done this to begin with. lol

The last link also mentions FE All-Stars, which I think we all know now is FE13.

EDIT: Stole this from the info thread:

28. Shorts

Shorts I'm gonna kill you <3

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    3136-6583-3704
    I definitely wouldn't mind Roy being included, now that Chrono isn't around to make me hate him. His new style is awesome, and since Micaiah, and Caeda are forbidden subjects, ill put my token on Roy for what FE character I want. Try, you should make a Caeda thread!

:phone:
  29. ---

3DS Friend Code:
    1719-3728-6991
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Tryphen
    Been wondering where Chrono is. But nah, I'd support a Caeda thread, but I don't see the point in starting one anymore. Would feel as silly as that Black Knight Social Group.

I'll probably be the one to do the Palutena one at some point though.

Also to keep on topic, here's my thoughts on Krom:

30. xXIke-SamaXx

xXIke-SamaXx Smash Lord

Nintendo Network ID:
    Azureflame92
    My apologies....I take back everything I said about Roy....I'm wrong you are right.
  31. lordvaati

lordvaati Smash Champion

[​IMG]

this may be bad......
  32. tirkaro

tirkaro Smash Champion

Roy, as a matter of fact, is our boy. That's reasoning enough right there.

Also, shoutouts to chibi Hatsune Miku.

Chronobound, where you at.
  33. Fandangox

Fandangox Smash Ace

To be honest I am sure Roy's popularity is entirely due to him being in smash.

Not that there is anything wrong with it since thanks to Smash obscure games like Fire Emblem and EarthBound became better known.

But seriously. Roy as a character both gameplay-wise and story wise is just awful. He is really bland as a character. And as unlikely as it may be due to the nature of smash's cast selection I'd rather see any of the supporting characters in any Fire Emblem rather than a lord (Unless Hector) Not just because they are usually more interesting than the main characters, but also because they would be really interesting gameplaywise.

Having a Mage would be pretty cool in smash.

Hell they could add Krom and his sister, at least she would show some more variety in the franchise's rep of 3 Cape-wearing swordsmen with bad anime hair.
  34. Steelia

Steelia Smash Lord

Same with Lucario. Same with Pit. Same with many other fighters from the games. It just so happens that Roy's character in Smash is very distinct... whether it's his voice (awesome voice) or playstyle, he found a way to stick out. Marth has the moves, but Roy has the character.

Either way, I'm loving the support Roy has been gathering, him and Mewtwo. Roy and Marth have really good chemistry together, it just didn't feel the same without him in SSBB. I'm hoping the two of them can reunite on the roster once more in either SSB Wii U or SSB 3DS; hopefully Krom or Ike don't screw things up.
    Plus, we need a little more redhead. Too much blue hair everywhere.
  35. Conviction

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    1907-8951-4471
    Wait a second

This is so dumb. Are we trying to discredit Roy from a gaming series he got his popularity from? Oh god.
  36. xXIke-SamaXx

xXIke-SamaXx Smash Lord

Nintendo Network ID:
    Azureflame92

You think Roy and Marth have good chemistry together because they are basically the same....except one have a red hair and the other have a blue hair...when you see Ike and Marth together you know that those two are different because one is quite rough looking and the other look girly...people saying they are similar because of hair color are the most shallow.... anyways even though Roy have things going for him I still want any other character instead of Roy...
  37. GunBlaze

GunBlaze Smash Lord

You salty, bro?

[​IMG]
  38. Fandangox

Fandangox Smash Ace

Actually a good point.

And as I said before, there's really nothing wrong with that.

BUT, What I am trying to say is.
    Practically 3/4 of the entirety of the Fire Emblem cast would be a more interesting choice than him.

Roy had his chance. Is time for another character to become well known.

Also as an unnecessary note, I used to think Roy was cool.
    Then I actually played FE6.
  39. Conviction

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    1907-8951-4471
    This I understand, but the fact I saw a con for Roy being his popularity lies in Smash...it doesn't make sense since we're talking about Smash.

That's all. I personally would like Sothe in, but this is the Roy thread.
  40. Fandangox

Fandangox Smash Ace

Alright then.

Too be honest I would only like him to come back if he gets a completely different move set.

At least that way he would be different from Marth.