• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I used to think that, but after looking at it from another point of view, I think it would be better to show Roy at E3. It would gain much more exposure this way instead of via a Japan only concert. Plus, I'm sure Sakurai doesn't want to steal the whole show by announcing him there, so he's most likely gonna just announce the release date of him there.
That's another thing. If Nintendo doesn't go about announcing Roy at E3 and instead reveals him at the FE concert, the concert will become a lot less about FE and more of "ZOMG ROY'S GOING TO BE REVEALED!!!". That would be really annoying for Sakurai to go to the concert as a presenter and the only thing people expecting from him is Smash. The guy does other things other than Smash you know.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I do think it would be cool though for the people who go there to see somethign special. Id say announce it at e3, then give teh concert people somethign special with all 5 of the smash fighers, that way its not as big of a flip out, and is still Fire emblem focused. Like if they played music from Thier games for example.
[did I count that right? Ike, marth, lucina, robin, roy. Yep yep YAY!]
smash is a big part of why fire emblem was able to do so well here in the states, so it makes sense to honour it in a way. but I do agree, holding back the announcment will make None fire emblem fans crowd the show in hopes of news from another game.. Which is just silly.
FE concert for FE fans, with FE as a focus as it should be.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Roy can be revealed at E3 and then have his release date confirmed at the FE concert. That would be a good way to not make the concert too Smash centric.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/

Ya know, i've been taken this statement by Sakurai in to consideration for Roy even though it was in regards to Chrom. With the whole "not having any unique characteristics" thing taken in to consideration, do you guys think that this could be evidence to Roy being decloned to a somewhat large extent? Think about it, Roy with just his Melee moveset very much fits the description of what Sakurai said in the article. Sure, he has t3h ph1r3 in some of his moves but it really isn't enough to avoid being grouped in to this category. In order to not be grouped in with Chrom, Roy would need some significant decloning which would go beyond changing 1 or 2 moves from his Melee moveset. Just a theory.

Last edited:
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/

Ya know, i've been taken this statement by Sakurai in to consideration for Roy even though it was in regards to Chrom. With the whole "not having any unique characteristics" thing taken in to consideration, do you guys think that this could be evidence to Roy being decloned to a somewhat large extent? Think about it, Roy with just his Melee moveset very much fits the description of what Sakurai said in the article. Sure, he has t3h ph1r3 in some of his moves but it really isn't enough to avoid being grouped in to this category. In order to not be grouped in with Chrom, Roy would need some significant decloning which would go beyond changing 1 or 2 moves from his Melee moveset. Just a theory.
My thoughts are that Roy is exempt from the quote regardless of a declone or not, since Marth and Ike are exempt as being swordsman due to being veterans, and Roy's a veteran as much as each in different ways. Also, he added Lucina during the time he said that, who is very uninspired in design and even more of a clone than Roy, so I'm really not sure how seriously I can take that quote.

Sakurai just says lots of things. We just have to wait and see what he says next.

Roy's Road to E3 - Quote of the Day #5 and 6:

Day 5:

Roy: "We can’t go back to the past, but we can shape the future. Then we should work to make a future the same as, or even better than the past, right?"
-Roy in his A support with Lilina

Full conversation for context:

Lilina: Roy… I’m sorry about the other day.
Roy: The other day?
Lilina: I was on some nostalgia trip, remember? We’re in a war… Of course things won’t be the same…
Roy: Well, some things will.
Lilina: Like what?
Roy: I’ll be at your side, and you’ll be at mine.
Lilina: Huh…
Roy: We can’t go back to the past, but we can shape the future. Then we should work to make a future the same as, or even better than the past, right?
Lilina: Hahaha…
Roy: ?
Lilina: Roy, you’re showing off…
Roy: D-Do you think so? Yeah, I was thinking that didn’t sound like me myself…
Lilina: But…
Lilina: Thanks…
Roy: Lilina…
Lilina: We’ll always be together…right?
Roy: …Of course.

Day 6:

"We are fighting to win this war. However, if we focus only on winning and ignore those people needing help, is that a true victory?"
-Roy in his B support with Cecilia

Roy: Phew…
Cecilia: Roy.
Roy: Oh, General Cecilia.
Cecilia: Are you tired? Perhaps you should rest.
Roy: No, I can’t. We must keep moving.
Cecilia: Rushing will only bring failure.
Roy: I’m not rushing. I won’t try anything impossible. But we must move as quickly as we can.
Cecilia: Why?
Roy: The quicker we move, the more people in need we can reach. Right?
Cecilia: …Yes, that’s true.
Roy: We are fighting to win this war. However, if we focus only on winning and ignore those people needing help, is that a true victory?
Cecilia: ……
Roy: Oh, I’m sorry… I shouldn’t be so outspoken. Have I angered you?
Cecilia: No, I’m glad. I was too focused on winning the battle. You are already becoming a great leader.
Roy: Please… But…hearing that from you is encouraging.
Cecilia: Really? That’s nice to hear.

I don't have much to say about these, they're just really epic quotes.

Last edited:

Blur58

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4038-6642-9806
I just had the worst dream. I was watching a Nintendo Direct and it seemed as if Roy were to be announced cause it was kinda like the Lucas reveal, just Ike Marth and Robin in a 3 person FFA, then the screen went black and I was expecting Roy's scream when he does Blazer.... But then Grima came out of nowhere and did his breath attack and i was crying. Daddy Sakurai pls

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Thing is, he was referring specifically to narrowing down the roster of newcomers to a few top picks. He did say that Chrom was considered, as was Robin, and he ultimately decided that Robin was more interesting and would present something new and exciting that the roster had not yet seen.

Roy is a veteran, so there isn't nearly as much impetus on vindicating his inclusion as there is for a totally new character: Roy's already been in Smash, he already has fans and has proved his worth to the community, there's a lot less skepticism and weight on his shoulders as there would be for somebody like Chrom.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
About Chrom, Robin, and Lucina...

Sakurai's original intent was to add one brand new character from Awakening. The two considered were Chrom and Robin. Ultimately, Sakurai chose Robin for his/her unique abilities and for perfectly capturing the essence of the Fire Emblem series. Sakurai felt that Chrom simply wasn't unique enough when compared to Marth and Ike.

At some point, Sakurai made Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr Mario into alternate costumes. They were not originally meant to be their own characters. Near the end of development, however, they had some time and resources on their hands, so they took those alternate costumes and gave them a few unique characteristics to make them separate characters. They were last minute bonus characters, really.

Sakurai does want to add unique characters to the game. That's his standard policy. The clone characters added in this game are exceptions to this rule, as they were added in strictly because they were easy additions that they could squeeze in at the last minute. There's a different motive for adding them than adding someone like Robin.

As for how this pertains to Roy...

On one hand, if Sakurai wants to bring him back, he may want to update him to make him more unique.

On the other hand, it's very possible that the reason he would choose Roy for DLC is because he's a clone. When you think about it, Roy's a character that, despite being a clone, has a significant fan base, and as is, he would take very little effort to add in. It's a low cost, high reward scenario. They may choose to take advantage of this and leave Roy as a clone for sake of ease.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
On one hand, if Sakurai wants to bring him back, he may want to update him to make him more unique.

On the other hand, it's very possible that the reason he would choose Roy for DLC is because he's a clone. When you think about it, Roy's a character that, despite being a clone, has a significant fan base, and as is, he would take very little effort to add in. It's a low cost, high reward scenario. They may choose to take advantage of this and leave Roy as a clone for sake of ease.
I really think the latter option to bring Roy wouldn't turn out well at all on him.

A lot people have shown to be against buying a clone as a DLC, especially if Roy is concerned due his earlier status as one. In fact, this is one of the primary reasons people keep berating him and his fans for supporting him, while also contributing a lot against his inclusion ("FE-slot wasted on an irrelevant clone!!!"). I can't deny their points though, since this would make Sm4sh have 3 Marths in the same game, all with just a different mechanics over the blade, but pretty identical moveset.

Also, I think this wouldn't make Roy that much marketable compared to more unique characters like Lucas or Mewtwo, especially in a trailer: it'd be kinda boring to watch a Marth-clone with only few different and usually fiery moves being marketed as something exciting to new fans of Smash. Lucina being around doesn't help the case either.

Due this reason I just really hope they modify Roy to a great degree and bring him in similar, if not more elaborate fashion to a semi-clone status than Project M did it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I really think the latter option to bring Roy wouldn't turn out well at all on him.

A lot people have shown to be against buying a clone as a DLC, especially if Roy is concerned due his earlier status as one. In fact, this is one of the primary reasons people keep berating him and his fans for supporting him, while also contributing a lot against his inclusion ("FE-slot wasted on an irrelevant clone!!!"). I can't deny their points though, since this would make Sm4sh have 3 Marths in the same game, all with just a different mechanics over the blade, but pretty identical moveset.

Also, I think this wouldn't make Roy that much marketable compared to more unique characters like Lucas or Mewtwo, especially in a trailer: it'd be kinda boring to watch a Marth-clone with only few different and usually fiery moves being marketed as something exciting to new fans of Smash. Lucina being around doesn't help the case either.

Due this reason I just really hope they modify Roy to a great degree and bring him in similar, if not more elaborate fashion to a semi-clone status than Project M did it.
Pretty much this. It would be a huge let down to watch a trailer of a 3rd near identical Marth clone by both fans of Roy and Smash fans in general. If Roy were to come back like that, people would immediately start berating Roy for being a 3rd Marth and that would set us up for a never ending wave of backlash from detractors. The only way to remedy this is by having Roy significantly decloned to an extent where he's hardly anything like Marth (Personally, I want to see Roy what Wolf is to Fox when it comes to similarities with Marth).

Roy is a veteran, so there isn't nearly as much impetus on vindicating his inclusion as there is for a totally new character: Roy's already been in Smash, he already has fans and has proved his worth to the community, there's a lot less skepticism and weight on his shoulders as there would be for somebody like Chrom.
True but with his fully cloned moveset he had from Melee (or close to that now that Marth has been changed up since Brawl), he really doesn't bring anything new to the table so to speak. I doubt being a veteran would save him from falling under this criteria really because both Mewtwo and Lucas brought something new to the roster when they were included as DLC. Roy needs to be significantly decloned along with having his attacks have a fire effect to further establish him as a character that's not a 3rd Marth.

Steelia

Smash Champion

All this, and the fact that even supporters of Roy welcomely embrace him becoming at least Luigi-ified like Falco and Ganondorf were.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The only thing I'll say in rebuttal to your points is that Roy may be returning because he's a relatively easy clone to recreate. Marth already exists as a template to use as a guidepost for his abilities.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
All i want for Roy in smash 4 is PM Roy hes amazing and i dont care if hes kinda like Roy but hes better than he was and has different moves even if just slightly

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm 50/50 whether Roy would be similar to his Melee self or revamped (when I say "revamped" though, I'd expect nothing more than what Wolf/Lucas is, considering Lucas doesn't have major changes done to him. Although him receiving tweaks are still possible), but I'm more leaning towards Roy being clone-ish, mostly because I'm keeping my expectations low.

If the keep Roy clone-ish, he'd be easier to develop, and it wouldn't alienate players would like his moveset in Melee (I don't really like using that argument... but it is something the devs could consider). But if they choose to make Roy more unique he would have a better selling point, in addition to his popularity.

We'll see what will happen in due time... hopefully.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Y'know, this is probably what I think would be their main reason if they de-clone Roy.

If he's a clone, Roy would still be profitable, mostly because of his popularity. But, there are those who don't know who Roy is and never played his source game (especially in the West). If the devs feel like more people would be hesitant to purchase Roy due to him being a clone, especially since Lucina exists being a Marth clone already, I think it's understandable if they make Roy more unique or de-clone him or whatever. Marking and profitability are important factors to consider in a situation like this, since DLC is a whole different beast. I don't think it's wrong if people want to put more emphasis on marketing for a character, but I'm no expert, and we can't get into the developers' heads and know exactly what's going on.

Still think it could go either way. We just have to wait and see.

Also, if they choose to reveal Roy at the FE concert and he's still a clone, I think it would be really underwhelming, especially for such a hype event. Plus most people going are probably big FE fans. Best reveal him at E3 where they'll probably be hyped newcomers revealed, like potentially Ryu. At least then if people complain about Roy being a clone, they'd redirect their attention at whatever newcomer is also revealed.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts are that Roy is exempt from the quote regardless of a declone or not, since Marth and Ike are exempt as being swordsman due to being veterans, and Roy's a veteran as much as each in different ways. Also, he added Lucina during the time he said that, who is very uninspired in design and even more of a clone than Roy, so I'm really not sure how seriously I can take that quote.

Sakurai just says lots of things. We just have to wait and see what he says next.

Roy's Road to E3 - Quote of the Day #5 and 6:

Day 5:

Roy: "We can’t go back to the past, but we can shape the future. Then we should work to make a future the same as, or even better than the past, right?"
-Roy in his A support with Lilina

Lilina: Roy… I’m sorry about the other day.
Roy: The other day?
Lilina: I was on some nostalgia trip, remember? We’re in a war… Of course things won’t be the same…
Roy: Well, some things will.
Lilina: Like what?
Roy: I’ll be at your side, and you’ll be at mine.
Lilina: Huh…
Roy: We can’t go back to the past, but we can shape the future. Then we should work to make a future the same as, or even better than the past, right?
Lilina: Hahaha…
Lilina: Roy, you’re showing off…
Roy: D-Do you think so? Yeah, I was thinking that didn’t sound like me myself…
Lilina: But…
Lilina: Thanks…
Roy: Lilina…
Lilina: We’ll always be together…right?
Roy: …Of course.

Day 6:

"We are fighting to win this war. However, if we focus only on winning and ignore those people needing help, is that a true victory?"
-Roy in his B support with Cecilia

Roy: Phew…
Cecilia: Roy.
Roy: Oh, General Cecilia.
Cecilia: Are you tired? Perhaps you should rest.
Roy: No, I can’t. We must keep moving.
Cecilia: Rushing will only bring failure.
Roy: I’m not rushing. I won’t try anything impossible. But we must move as quickly as we can.
Cecilia: Why?
Roy: The quicker we move, the more people in need we can reach. Right?
Cecilia: …Yes, that’s true.
Roy: We are fighting to win this war. However, if we focus only on winning and ignore those people needing help, is that a true victory?
Cecilia: ……
Roy: Oh, I’m sorry… I shouldn’t be so outspoken. Have I angered you?
Cecilia: No, I’m glad. I was too focused on winning the battle. You are already becoming a great leader.
Roy: Please… But…hearing that from you is encouraging.
Cecilia: Really? That’s nice to hear.

I don't have much to say about these, they're just really epic quotes.
A little late on this, but you pick the best quotes for the Road to E3. These were all of the ones that stood out to me when going through the support conversations a little while back. Thank you for doing this.

Last edited:
Ugh, I really hope they declone. I really hope Sakurai knows the hate that's going on with sites like GameFAQs and Reddit, and similar people who congregate literally anywhere online, including some who have seeped into this thread and the Facebook group. I don't know how you guys aren't as sick of their **** as I have been for years. I really don't want his reveal to turn into more of a disappointment than a victory for a lot of people who wanted Roy if we just run into a new generation of hate and people everywhere spreading it or more misconceptions, lies, and salt about Roy, FE6, etc. If we can't turn any direction without being met with hate, that's not victory anyone deserves for their character. How is everyone being so nonchalant about it? Sure we'll see some hate if Roy has enough to seem like a newcomer but it'll be much more minor issues and easier things to tackle, like what people spread about FE6 or Roy's character.

I'm sending something in about it, so they hopefully don't go with the more dangerous route. I really hope I'm just overreacting.

If Sakurai truly didn't want to alienate players, I don't think he would have decloned characters over the years, or made characters like Marth and Falco completely alien to those who liked them in previous games. I was glad to just revisit Brawl Marth on SSF2 earlier, he still doesn't feel right in Smash 4 after seven months of playing him tons since day 1, and Lucina never will to me.

Last edited:

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 Sakurai may not know or agree with every wish of the community, but he sure isn't stupid. I mean, look at Diddy's nerf in the Mewtwo patch. That is obviously something he did because of community outcry. I'm sure he knows that the community isn't too fond of clones, otherwise Falco, Ganon etc. wouldn't have been decloned in Brawl. Sakurai can't possibly be blind enough to add a Roy who is identical to Melee. Even if he isn't "decloned" as much as we would like (to the extent of Project M or Brawl Minus), I am confident that he will be unique enough to not be considered a clone.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
If Sakurai listened to the outcry regarding Diddy, I'm sure he'll listen to the majority of people that want Roy decloned.

I've brought up this point multiple times by now, but I think I gotta mention it again. Seeing as he was probably going to be in Brawl, I'm sure they had some changes planned for him akin to Falco and Ganondorf. I'm sure he wouldn't have kept him the same.

As for the argument that Mewtwo and Lucas are the same, that's because they didn't need any changes at all. Mewtwo's an entirely original character of his own, and Lucas is already really different from Ness, with the only similar moves being his specials, and even those have their unique properties.

Seeing as Sakurai decided to go with the idea of making the Ballot, I'm sure he must be at least looking at certain character requests, and if he was able to see the people complaining about Diddy, I think he could also see the Roy supporters along with his extremely loud detractors.

Roy's never had the chance to be decloned, and I'm sure he wouldn't let this opportunity for him go to waste.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Ugh, I really hope they declone. I really hope Sakurai knows the hate that's going on with sites like GameFAQs and Reddit, and similar people who congregate literally anywhere online, including some who have seeped into this thread and the Facebook group. I don't know how you guys aren't as sick of their **** as I have been for years. I really don't want his reveal to turn into more of a disappointment than a victory for a lot of people who wanted Roy if we just run into a new generation of hate and people everywhere spreading it or more misconceptions, lies, and salt about Roy, FE6, etc. If we can't turn any direction without being met with hate, that's not victory anyone deserves for their character. How is everyone being so nonchalant about it? Sure we'll see some hate if Roy has enough to seem like a newcomer but it'll be much more minor issues and easier things to tackle, like what people spread about FE6 or Roy's character.

I'm sending something in about it, so they hopefully don't go with the more dangerous route. I really hope I'm just overreacting.

If Sakurai truly didn't want to alienate players, I don't think he would have decloned characters over the years, or made characters like Marth and Falco completely alien to those who liked them in previous games. I was glad to just revisit Brawl Marth on SSF2 earlier, he still doesn't feel right in Smash 4 after seven months of playing him tons since day 1, and Lucina never will to me.
I know that sometimes the ignorance and hate can be unbearable, but I guess why I'm kinda nonchalant on the whole thing is because after all these years I just don't give a crap about the haters. It happens to a lot of characters. Misconceptions suck though, so when people are spreading misconceptions and I'm around I'll try my best to correct them. If we're all in this together, things will go along more smoothly, right?

If Roy returns, it would be an amazing victory and many would love to see that. His popularity is proof. You already know this, but I hope people won't explode with salt and hate if we get Roy, and if it does happen, hopefully we can try to minimize it. Because I would like the Roy boards/thread to be a welcoming place (I think some characters had it worse in the beginning, which is why I want to avoid this in the first place). A place where people can come together and spark discussion about Roy, help shape his metagame, and all that off-topic, social thread jazz. Constructive criticism and the like is fine (because you can't force people to like every character), but some people can be very melodramatic and spiteful -- that's what I hope to avoid, but I may be asking for too much. I might be overrating, but I'm just taking the worst-case scenario in mind.

We don't really know exactly how people will react here and such. Be it good or bad (or both, mostly likely), I think we should just worry about that when the time comes and hopefully we'll deal with whatever the heck happens.

And stiff an upper lip! You have look at all the positives that will come from Roy returning as well. To me they will always outweigh the negatives. I'm hoping Roy will be de-cloned myself, but I'm fine either way. Even then, I think Roy has a good chance to be similar to Ganon/Falco, and even if he's 100% the same in Melee (with the ability to wavedash and all loljk), he would still be unique in his own way (Neutral Special is already unique, fire properties, reverse tipper, weight, etc.). I do think some people would warm up to Roy after sometime, just like with :4lucina:, :4darkpit:, and :4drmario:. And if they don't, then whatever. It's no big deal.

Let's just continue to support our boy either way!

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I can understand what your saying but sometimes the hate just becomes unbearable really. Especially when all news articles comments related to Roy are like 30-50% detractors going about their hate routine, whether it be FE or Smash related. It's also a very disheartening thing to know that other characters like Lucas are adored by pretty much everyone in the fanbase while the character we support garnishes a significant amount of hatred all across the web. It really bothers me.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I can understand what your saying but sometimes the hate just becomes unbearable really. Especially when all news articles comments related to Roy are like 30-50% detractors going about their hate routine, whether it be FE or Smash related. It's also a very disheartening thing to know that other characters like Lucas are adored by pretty much everyone in the fanbase while the character we support garnishes a significant amount of hatred all across the web. It really bothers me.
I hear ya. It sucks that there's a lot of loud Roy detractors, but not only in Smash, but in the FE fanbase as well. A lot of times people use the same, tiresome arguments too. I used to feel very disheartened upon reading such things in the past. But recently, I guess I had a shift in attitude. Maybe it's because ever since the new year (especially since the Roy/Ryu leak), I've been seeing more Roy supporters, which puts me into a good mood. Actually, it probably started during the time I joined the Facebook group, since there's so many like-minded people who want to see Roy return, but also spark a lot of positive discussion about him.

There's this quote I found that can apply here (but also to other fanbases as well): "The complainers are often louder and more frequent. Keep doing what you're doing, it means more to the silent." -- Monty Oum

Ream wanted me to show more thread members the quote, but I totally forgot lol so here it is

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I know this is the Roy thread, so I expect some bias, but who is your favorite FE character to play as in Smash?

I personally hope Roy becomes my favorite FE character in Smash 4, mainly because Marth is just so much harder to play as compared to previous installments. However, my feeling of resentment come from online matches and 3DS controls, which could be just bad experiences. Lucina just doesn't cut it for me, with Marth and Roy, you are locking yourself into a certain playstyle which feels extremely rewarding when you hit that sweetspot. With Lucina, I just don't have that rewarding feeling.

Ike, I am actually decent with him, same with Robin, however, both require extreme concentration from me and I actually have to exclusively train as either one of these two FE characters to play very well with them. I blame my poor Robin skills due to my time as Link, I try to play like Link when I should play as Robin. Ike just requires more concentration from me, and my dodge, shielding, reads, etc.

I currently think Marth is my favorite FE character in Smash, but it could just be that I love the Ken Combo, which I know is possible as Roy, well at least the satisfying Dair is possible, don't quote me on Roy Ken Combo please.

What about you guys?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I know this is the Roy thread, so I expect some bias, but who is your favorite FE character to play as in Smash?

I personally hope Roy becomes my favorite FE character in Smash 4, mainly because Marth is just so much harder to play as compared to previous installments. However, my feeling of resentment come from online matches and 3DS controls, which could be just bad experiences. Lucina just doesn't cut it for me, with Marth and Roy, you are locking yourself into a certain playstyle which feels extremely rewarding when you hit that sweetspot. With Lucina, I just don't have that rewarding feeling.

Ike, I am actually decent with him, same with Robin, however, both require extreme concentration from me and I actually have to exclusively train as either one of these two FE characters to play very well with them. I blame my poor Robin skills due to my time as Link, I try to play like Link when I should play as Robin. Ike just requires more concentration from me, and my dodge, shielding, reads, etc.

I currently think Marth is my favorite FE character in Smash, but it could just be that I love the Ken Combo, which I know is possible as Roy, well at least the satisfying Dair is possible, don't quote me on Roy Ken Combo please.

What about you guys?
Besides Ike, Roy is pretty much the only one I care about, really. Marth feels bland, Lucina even blander, and Robin is a bit on the gimmicky side.

I love Ike's raw power, but he feels really slow and sluggish, which is kind of a turn down.

Here's a contribution I just made to Miiverse. I want anyone who supports Roy to join in with the chant:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkHAzRomg

Thank you, guys. I really might be worrying too much about things that are simply branched possibilities of something that's not even close to a problem yet. I had a really irritating day so some worst case scenarios saw that the door was open and had a party.

The Miiverse thread so far is even more irritating, but I'm going to take deep breaths and not let it get to me.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959

What about you guys?
I personally prefer playing as Female Robin. I adore her character model and unique fighting style, and love how she represents more than "just another sword fighter" from the Fire Emblem franchise for Smash (not that I don't love all our resident swordsmen, but yeah). It's my dream to see a lance or axe wielder in a future Smash title, or perhaps a Manakete (come on, Tiki!).

Anyway, Robin is definitely my best character in smash, followed by Ike, then Marth/Lucina. Can't wait to learn Roy and figure out where he falls.

Last edited:

What about you guys?
https://soundcloud.com/mrjofspaceent/ike-boards-song-freestyle

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857

What about you guys?
I go on about Roy being my favorite character in all of Smash but I'm actually not that good with him in Melee--well at least compared to the pros. His stats are pretty out there, you know, weak recovery and all. Sometimes I think I'm not that good with him that I use someone like Captain Falcon or Mario more in Melee. Never got into Marth despite being better.

In PM I absolutely love him. His moveset is perfect. That's how I kinda want Roy to be in Smash 4. And also that sexy N-Air. I actually use Marth here more than in Melee also.

Smash 4 out of all the FE crew it's a tie between Marth and Ike. I think I prefer Ike more as I've been more used to him since he was my main in Brawl. Marth is good too and occasionally use him as my secondary and ALWAYS choose his Roy-like color palette. I thought I would like Lucina since she's essentially the Smash 4 "Roy", being a clone and all, but I don't. Robin I do like to use sometimes and try my best when using her (red haired :4robinf: ftw). Very slow and strategic to use. I'm not the best of course.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

What about you guys?
I do think all FE characters are pretty cool in their own way. But in terms of who's my fave to play as... well, I find myself playing FE characters not a whole lot compared to past Smash games. I played Marth a lot in Brawl, but not so much now. Gameplay-wise I was never that crazy about Ike, and while I do think the additional of Robin is great in terms of uniqueness and mechanics, my interest in picking up Robin dropped. However, the same could be said about a lot of other characters this game. I'm not that enthusiastic to play a lot of them, especially the newcomers. It's strange because in Brawl I was the opposite. Gonna have to change my mindset or something. I'm only interested in Shulk atm, and might try Yoshi as a secondary. Hopefully I can get into Lucas just fine when he's released (can't wait!).

Anyway, despite all this I do love to play Roy in Melee and PM, and hopefully I would love him in this game (which I'm sure I will). Don't care if he's bottom of the tier list, I'd still main him. I think Roy's the only character I'm loyal to lol. Maaaybe Lucas as well, we'll have to see

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

What about you guys?
For me, my favourite Fire Emblem characters to play in Smash Bros are Robin, Roy, Lucina and Ike - in no specific order.

Robin's great because of what he brings to Smash Bros as a unique fighter, as well as my love for Awakening. Lucina's sort of a placeholder till Roy comes back, but I still enjoy playing as her since I don't really care about Marth anymore. As for Roy, it all boils down to the Flare Blade and Fukuyama's voice being so dramatic!:laugh:

I do think all FE characters are pretty cool in their own way. But in terms of who's my fave to play as... well, I find myself playing FE characters not a whole lot compared to past Smash games. I played Marth a lot in Brawl, but not so much now. Gameplay-wise I was never that crazy about Ike, and while I do think the additional of Robin is great in terms of uniqueness and mechanics, my interest in picking up Robin dropped. However, the same could be said about a lot of other characters this game. I'm not that enthusiastic to play a lot of them, especially the newcomers. It's strange because in Brawl I was the opposite. Gonna have to change my mindset or something. I'm only interested in Shulk atm, and might try Yoshi as a secondary. Hopefully I can get into Lucas just fine when he's released (can't wait!).

Anyway, despite all this I do love to play Roy in Melee and PM, and hopefully I would love him in this game (which I'm sure I will). Don't care if he's bottom of the tier list, I'd still main him. I think Roy's the only character I'm loyal to lol. Maaaybe Lucas as well, we'll have to see
My problem with almost all of this game's newcomers are that they are incredibly gimmicky, probably too unique. I want to say too unique, but that probably isn't true. Melee brought characters like Marth, Peach, Sheik, incredibly decloned Luigi, Bowser, and Mewtwo who were all very unique without being gimmicky and weird for the average player. Changes to Captain Falcon, Mario, Fox, Samus, and Link helped further set them apart as unique characters, breathing life into the game while they all remained very solid fundamental characters. Meanwhile, we had some gimmicky newcomers like Zelda, Game and Watch, and Ice Climbers, but they didn't feel excessive to learn. The many clone options for the already solid fundamental characters was a great way to appeal to many playstyles at the time.

Brawl brought Ike, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, Pit, Meta Knight, Ivysaur, Charizard, King Dedede, Wolf, Lucas, and Toon Link, who brought new stuff to the table, each with one or two gimmicks, but they still remained strong on a fundamental level and were easy to pick up for any smash player I knew. Falco's declone was powerful for it, too, as was Ganon's sexy command grab and some of his changes despite his fall. Olimar, Squirtle, R.O.B, Snake, Lucario, Sonic, and Wario (fat Jigglypuff) were fairly gimmicky, more noticably than Melee's gimmicky newcomers, but none of them felt excessive, and they were there for those kinds of players.

Now, it feels like Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Little Mac, Palutena, Robin, Duck Hunt, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and all three Miis fall on too many extremes and gimmicks. Shulk and Greninja seem fundamentally solid all-around, almost like they're Brawl newcomers in the same category I placed Ike and Pit. Some characters were changed too much (*cough* Marth *cough, you were just fine in Brawl) to feel comfortable for those who liked them in previous games.

I'd like to see more average joes, more Greninjas and Shulks, more Marios and Links, more classic Marths as DLC. As diverse as the cast is, I feel like the diversity is spread into too many extremes to appeal to everyone (the pure irony), and some characters took big blows to their fundamental design that weren't needed. Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario were healthy for this game in my eyes, to sponge up the oversaturation of extremes, even if they are villains of the roster to many. To me, Brawl had it right for every character.

(keep in mind all of this is extremely subjective, and possibly nostalgia for games that have been out for years versus a game that's been out for less than a year)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've never been all that big of a fan of Roy. But I'll be more than happy to purchase him and see him back in the roster again. I'm not expecting every DLC character to be super unique and gimmicky anyway. (Sakurai is working with a smaller team now to bring us DLC after all) But so long as any new clones we may get are around Toon Link, Falco and Ganondorf's level. Their fine in my book and I'm fairly sure that Roy will at the very least be around just that.

I do understand what it's like to deal with a hatebase though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom