• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Satisfaction Discussion Thread

What is your opinion of the character choices for Super Smash Bros. 4?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kylexv

Smash Master

What you see above is the roster for Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3DS (but there could always be more).

This is a thread to post your thoughts on the newcomers, the cut characters from Super Smash Bros., and any returning veterans that surprised you. Keep in mind, this is NOT a thread to complain about the roster. Just simply post your thoughts.​

kylexv

Smash Master
Since I accidentally backspaced out of my edit (:mad:), I'll just give a short summary of the newcomers:

:4villager:: The well deserved AC rep. Provides a unique moveset while at the same time, pulling important things from the series. 8/10

:4megaman:
: The third-party fighter that almost everyone wanted. Mega Man has a very unique moveset, pulling iconic moves from the classic series. A projectile jab was unheard of at the time. 10/10

:4wiifit:
: The newcomer from the left field. NOBODY expected this fitness fanatic to join the battle. However, people have grown to her and her fitness and yoga-styled moveset. Yes, and the Sun Salutation. 6/10

:rosalina:: The unexpected Mario newcomer. Adds another female to the roster and pleases some fans due to her popularity in the Mario franchise. She also (like many of the newcomers) sports a unique moveset with her doing attacks along with a Luma. However, there's a certain someone that should of got in before her. 7/10

:4littlemac:: The popular first-party inclusion. Little Mac was a character that many Smashboards users wanted to appear in the game, having popularity competing with the likes of Ridley. When seeing his moveset, the "he just punches" argument was shoved to the side, and we still saw a unique moveset from him, along with a new Power Meter gimmick. 9/10

:4greninja:: The unexpected Pokemon newcomer. Sakurai got lucky with this one, as he chose this newcomer almost a year before he was shown to the world. Greninja proved a popular Pokemon from the new region, giving an almost Charizard-like feel to Pokemon fans. As Greninja is a Water Type, his moveset has a lot of water-based moves. Greninja was one of those characters that a lot of people wanted, but never thought he would get in. 8/10

:4mii:: The customizable newcomer(s). Many people were opposed to the Mii's inclusion before their reveal. However, after their reveal, people were more satisfied than they thought toward their inclusion. As they are customization heavy, they borrow some moves from other fighters, but those moves can be swapped to provide a unique experience. 6/10

:4palutena:: The highly-expected newcomer. In this game, Sakurai was showing a lot of favoritism, so it was only natural that Palutena got a spot. But she was also a popular choice, so people were satisfied. She uses lots of magic in her moveset, as she is a goddess. 9/10

:4pacman:: The highly-expected third-party character. Bandai Namco helped with this game, so this led many to believe Pac-Man would be in the game. People just expected a generic moveset from his games, but was came was a Namco history book. This made people more excited for his inclusion. 8/10

:4robinm:: The Gematsu killer. This was at a time that Gematsu was king, and virtually no one was expecting Robin. However, Sakurai did what he does best and gave us not one, but TWO unexpected Fire Emblem Characters. Robin's moveset has his tomes and his Levin Sword, making the first Fire Emblem character to not wield a sword. 8/10

:4lucina:: The clone. Lucina, another unexpected inclusion, was revealed along with Robin and blew minds. However, supporters were disappointed that she was a mere clone. This showed Sakurai had a little extra time on his hands this time around and included a few clones. However, I don't like clones too much. There's also the added fact that I dislike playing as Marth. 3/10
:4shulk:: The monado wielder. Ever since Gematsu, Shulk has been a popular choice on prediction rosters. With all these hints and leaks, it was almost inevitable that Shulk got in. Seeing his moveset, I'm a bit disappointed that he borrows some moves from Marth/Lucina. The rest is hard too tell as of now. 7/10

EDIT:
Shulk officially revealed! Those Monado Arts look pretty cool to use, but most swordfighters aren't my taste. Rating stays the same.

LEAK TIME!

Bowser Jr.: The EXPECTED Mario newcomer. Bowser Jr. has been on prediction rosters and has been the most wanted Mario character since the pre-brawl days. In Super Smash Bros. 4, Bowser Jr. finally joins the battle. Most people just expected him to use his paintbrush or something. But no. He is in his clown car to fight, like M.O.D.O.K. from the Marvel vs. Capcom series. This surprised me, and it's making me want to play Bowser Jr. even more. 9/10

Duck Hunt Dog: The retro newcomer. Most people expected Takamaru to be the new retro fighter, as his game had an attraction in Nintendo Land. But a few weeks ago, he was confirmed an assist trophy. So people had no idea who would be the retro if we had one. Not until now. We have seen no DHD gameplay as of now, so I have no input on this, except that I didn't know I wanted him. ?/10 (Will have to see how he plays)

Dark Pit: The other clone. When Palutena was revealed, Dark Pit was hinted at. Only a few people took this as a hint, however. Dark Pit is probably the most controversial newcomer on this list, as he is a clone. Even though he is a clone, I sometimes like to play as Pit, so I'll have to try him out. 5/10

Dr. Mario: The Melee/DX veteran. Dr. Mario was one of the least expected to return out of the cut Melee characters. But since the Ninka/Vaanrose leak, Dr. Mario's popularity on predictions rose. This is probably since the picture leak. The Doctor has that nostalgia factor behind it for me. Melee was my first Smash Bros. game, and I remember liking Dr. Mario. However, since he is a clone, I don't like him as much. 6/10

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Extremely dissapointed with the roster things were going pretty well it seemed like a big focus on new playstyles and cool characters. Now Bowser Jr in clown car, Ridley, Doctor Mario(Who I do like) Why? Dark Pit and Duck hunt dog? Some lame choices while some the other half is great.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Well, that's not the whole roster. There are characters yet to be unlocked. The leaker didn't have all-star unlocked, so I think it's a bit premature.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
If what was on the screen shot shown here was it, I'd choose "I don't like half the newcomers."

But with Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, and Chorus Men in, I was satisfied, and choose "I have a couple newcomers I like."

But would vote higher without Dark Pit.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Well... Considering half of them are clones, I'll say half of the newcomers are terrible, especially after seeing Doctor mario and Clone Ganon! Scared about Falco and where the hell is my Wolf!!

Last edited:

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
Well... Considering half of them are clones, I'll say half of the newcomers are terrible, especially after seeing Doctor mario and Clone Ganon! Scared about Falco and where the hell is my Wolf!!
Wait, why are you scared for Falco? And. Ganondorf was already a clone :p

I fully agree on the Dr Mario point, though.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Moved to character discussion...

I got alot of characters I wanted but didnt think would get in, like Megaman and Lil Mac.
I mean, during the brawl days I bet people were thinkin, ROB? Why put ROB in over the Duck Hunt Dog!?! (or something like that)
As time passes we shall grow to love even the craziest inclusions to the roster.

Last edited:

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I count 7 clones in the entire roster. Only 2 of which are newcomers. :/

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the roster and only really disappointed with IC's, Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle being cut since their playstyles were ones I really enjoyed and were also wholly unique. There are however, enough unique newcomers to excuse this. It would've been nice to get a few more crowd pleasers, but strictly speaking about the gameplay options the new characters bring, I'm floored.

Last edited:

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
everything was good until this leak showed up, the only newcomer I like from the leak is dr.mario, but I don't even want him in, it is just my bias from maining him in melee I guess

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As long as we get Wolf, Lucas, Snake, and Ice Climbers back as DLC, I'll be ecstatic.

Novaka

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4613-8213-0086
I can't be the only one like this, but I never went into any SSB game sitting and raving and PRAYING someone would be in. Sure, before Brawl came out I thought "Sonic would be cool to get in" and he did! But if he didn't I wouldn't have been 'disappointed' This roster is great, and every character that is announced I nod and go 'awesome'

The problem with the fanbase seems to be that people get their hopes up because they imagine something in their heads. Then once they have that they come up with ways, or reasons that character could/should be in the game, until eventually it just makes 'so much sense' that there is no WAY Sakurai could possibly overlook/not add them. And then when they aren't in, but someone else is in? You get the reaction 'I don't like the roster. I would like it way more if ________ wasn't in and ________ was'

Just enjoy the game for what it is, and what it DOES have, instead of holding on to and getting bitter about what it DOESN'T

This roster is awesome, and I can't think of a single newcomer I don't like or welcome in.

DoubleDeeEddBoy

Smash Cadet
NNID
DoubleDeeEddBoy
3DS FC
0834-0608-8884
Every newcomer revealed, I was excited for the next. Then Robin was revealed and then I stopped caring who was confirmed and who was cut because I found a main in Robin. Then this leak surfaces and was sort of confirmed to be true with Shulk and I was even happier, because Shulk was my #1 most wanted character (which wasn't the case until I played Xenoblade Chronicles). Bowser Jr. was among my top five, so I'm not complaining, even if he is in the Koopa Car because I'm getting a Tron Bonne vibe from him, and I know how much I enjoyed maining Tron in MvC3.

Now that Shulk is practically confirmed, I didn't care about the rest. I'm not complaining!

I admit, I am sad that Lucas (my Brawl main) will be cut, but with Shulk, Robin, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer as possible mains, I'm already ready to move on (yes, I skipped right to the acceptance stage of grief when I found Lucas was cut, but Shulk is practically confirmed)!

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I count 7 clones in the entire roster. Only 2 of which are newcomers. :/

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the roster and only really disappointed with IC's, Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle being cut since their playstyles were ones I really enjoyed and were also wholly unique. There are however, enough unique newcomers to excuse this. It would've been nice to get a few more crowd pleasers, but strictly speaking about the gameplay options the new characters bring, I'm floored.
I counted 6 not including Dixie. Whose the 5th vet clone?
I got Falco, Dr.Mario, Lucina, Dark Pit, Toon Link, Ganondorf.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I counted 6 not including Dixie. Whose the 5th vet clone?
I got Falco, Dr.Mario, Lucina, Dark Pit, Toon Link, Ganondorf.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt and counted Luigi. Even though him, Ganondorf, Toon Link and Falco all play very differently compared to their counterparts. I hardly even see them as clones and generally prefer them to the 'originals'. :/

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
I can't be the only one like this, but I never went into any SSB game sitting and raving and PRAYING someone would be in. Sure, before Brawl came out I thought "Sonic would be cool to get in" and he did! But if he didn't I wouldn't have been 'disappointed' This roster is great, and every character that is announced I nod and go 'awesome'

The problem with the fanbase seems to be that people get their hopes up because they imagine something in their heads. Then once they have that they come up with ways, or reasons that character could/should be in the game, until eventually it just makes 'so much sense' that there is no WAY Sakurai could possibly overlook/not add them. And then when they aren't in, but someone else is in? You get the reaction 'I don't like the roster. I would like it way more if ________ wasn't in and ________ was'

Just enjoy the game for what it is, and what it DOES have, instead of holding on to and getting bitter about what it DOESN'T

This roster is awesome, and I can't think of a single newcomer I don't like or welcome in.
I don't hate the leak because my most wanted character didn't get in. I hate the leak because of who did get in. Seriously, the only good ones IMO are Shulk and Impa, and even Shulk seems to be a combo of Link and Marth.

I just wanted to clarify my opinion.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I love the new choices, especially Pac-Man, Villager, and Bowser Jr. The roster looks fantastic, and we may not even be done (I'm still holding out for Mewtwo and Lucas).

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I gave them the benefit of the doubt and counted Luigi. Even though him, Ganondorf, Toon Link and Falco all play very differently compared to their counterparts. I hardly even see them as clones and generally prefer them to the 'originals'. :/
I
Charizard clone of Bowser too. Add him. EDIT: Ike's a better example.

Seriously though, Mario and Luigi are both mains, and they are not similar at all. Other then the fire ball, a few ground attacks, and grabs.

Anyways, I suppose I'm getting okayish with Dark Pit, so it's looking better in my eyes.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
As far as newcomers go, I'd say the selection is very good. Little Mac, Palutena, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and I suppose Shulk were all deserving in their own right and feature highly interesting and creative movesets.

Rosalina's inclusion was odd to me at first when she was revealed, but once again, she adds a highly unique playstyle to Smash and generally speaking, her inclusion makes a lot more sense when you look at her as a representative of the Mario Galaxy games, some of the most critically acclaimed and noteworthy games in Nintendo's repertoire. I was never a fan of Bowser Jr., but he looks much more interesting than I'd imagined he'd be, going by the clips we saw. Robin caught me off guard, mainly because I was expecting Chrom the whole time. That said, I understand why Sakurai rolled with him and he looks extremely interesting with his tomes and stamina on his attacks.

Greninja I'm a bit torn on. On one hand, I still find his inclusion peculiar to this day considering he's not particularly 'The Big Cheese' of Gen 6 like Mewtwo and Lucario were with their respective Generations. But, he has a cool moveset and playstyle, and I guess that's what mattered to Sakurai in this case. As for Wii Fit Trainer, I still don't find her quite as interesting as the other newcomers, but upon further inspection she has some interesting tricks, like the Deep Breathing mechanic and as well as ALL of her specials involve pressing B, and pressing B to do something again. And obviously, Wii Fit was a big deal for Nintendo, so its inclusion makes sense. Duck Hunt Dog could be an outstanding character if done right. DH is a highly iconic and notable retro IP for Nintendo, and I hope his moveset incorporates the Zapper in a way (Not so much pulling it out as a weapon, but maybe having some attacks involving the 'flash' that occurs from firing?)

Of course, the only newcomers I'm not so crazy on are obviously the clone characters. I wouldn't say they're that worth getting mad about, considering they probably only took like, 20 minutes each to make and didn't take anyone's spot, but I think Dark Pit and Dr. Mario (Technically a veteran, but) would of been better off as alt costumes for Pit and Mario respectively (With altered proporties of course, like different voice clips for DP and pills projectile/sound effects for Mario much like what Project M did)...

...But that being said, If,
IF Dr. Mario features Mario Tornado as his Down Special and generally played more like Melee Mario, he would single handily be the best addition to the game by far.

But other than that, the only things preventing this roster from being perfect to me is the exclusion of ICs, Lucas, Wolf, Snake, Mewtwo, and a third DK character. But with the advent of Nintendo embracing DLC, now very recently doing it with MK8 (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882800), I have hopes that Sakurai/Nintendo will take advantage of it to rectify these mistakes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm pretty satisfied with what we have with the roster as a whole. These are by far some of the most inventive newcomers that the series has seen.
I'm satisfied with Villager since we finally have an Animal Crossing rep, one that represents Animal Crossing as a whole just fine too.
Mega Man is also on this same boat; he perfectly emulates the NES games while offering a fun projectile based moveset.
I'm indifferent towards Wii Fit Trainer. She was nice at first, but she lost her charm over time when more newcomers were shown.
I'm not a fan of Rosalina, particularly because of her gimmicky moveset and I sense that she will annoying to fight against. I heard that she has chains too... ugh...
Little Mac is one of my favorite newcomers in the game. I love his ground gameplay and he looks like he will be a blast to play as.
Greninja is just... there. He looks fun, but he doesn't really stand out to me.
I'm not a fan of the Miis nor their customization... I'll leave it at that.
Palutena is a character that I am highly indifferent on. I think that the customization kills her for me, too. Not a fan of how she has so many moves.
Pac-Man is definitely a fun character and one that I can't wait to try out. I love how he and his moveset represent Namco in a fun and creative way.
Robin is by far one of the best looking newcomers and has a creative gimmick that captures Fire Emblem. I just wonder how limited weapon and tome using will affect him in battle; I need to see him in action.
I'm indifferent on Lucina; she's a clone and I'm not a big fan of them.
As for the leaked newcomers, I am highly satisfied with how Shulk and Bowser Jr. came out. Shulk is my most wanted newcomer and just seeing him in action at long last is absolutely glorious. I just wonder how the Monado modes will effect him in battle. As for Bowser Jr., he's easily as creative with the Koopa Clown Car and I love how his moveset turned out. I can't say anything about Duck Hunt Dog, but I am a bit salty that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are on the roster.
As for cuts, I'm only upset over Wolf. I liked him.

I will admit that there are some characters that I wish were in the game (like Bandana Dee and a 3rd DK character), but I still have some hope since this isn't the full roster.
As a whole, I'm satisfied with what we have. We have some nice newcomers this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'm really satisfied with the roster, even tho my most favorite character is not there yet.

Well, say the Leak is real, I will express my feelings towards the characters that did not appear in Brawl. (Newcomers and Melee Vet'(s?) )

Villager - I've never played Animal Crossing, but I acknowledge its popularity and strong bond in Nintendo's history, so I understand why it deserves a rep. The character itself looks very unique and different from what I've previously seen, so I'm quite excited for the inclusion of Villager. Also the fact that you can use variations of the Villager makes it also very cool.

Wii Fit Trainer - At first I was against the idea of having WFT as a character, but later grown fond of ther character. Also no suprise the franchise got a playable character with the sales the game had. So being a unique character it is well deserved a spot. The option to choose either the female or man is a clevar idea.

Mega Man - I'm a Capcom fan, but not a Mega Man fan. My bonds lies at Street Fighter, but even I know how much better Mega Man is in this game than Ryu. So I was not dissepointed at all, but he does not intrigure me to want to play him that much, but it is nice to see him in the game atleast. Also...Nintendo should buy the franchise for Mega-Fans.

Rosalina & Luma - So I had a feeling we would get another representation of the Mario Franchise, but my toughts went out to Waluigi or Paper Mario, but surprisingly enough it was Rosalina. At a standpoint I see why her inclusion is a good idea. She is unique and makes me want to try her, not too excited, but could be fun.

Little Mac - I felt like I was one of the few people pre-Brawl who wanted him as a playable character or even knew who he was at the time, so seeing him as AT was fun. But now he is finally playable I can rest my case, Punch-Out! deserved a representer, and Mac does it well. I will look forward to it, but not my most aniticipated newcomer.

Palutena - I wanted a second character from Kid Icarus, and Palutena was indeed the character I wanted alongside Pit to represent the franchise, so I am not dissepointed. She seems like a character with a lot of variations to her moveset so it will be fun to try her out in action.

Mii Fighters - Now I knew Mii's would eventually end up in the game, regarding the history they have with the Wii, 3DS and Wii U's lifespans. But I was worried in the sense of how they would play and look, but Sakurai and the devolopment team proved to me that it will be a blast to try them all out.

Pac-Man - I always knew that Pac would eventually end up in Smash 4. I just felt it from the bottom of my heart, and how happy I was to see him in there. Now Pac and Mega can have a fair fight (Looking at you SF x Tekken)... I'm fond of the design, I've always been, and it seems like he comes with a great varity of moves that will make him somewhat interessting to play with. GO NAMCO.

Greninja - So at the time I had never played X or Y, so I couldn't say much about the character at the time, but after playing it I saw the true potential to the character, but I was happy at the reveal time as well, thinking of Lucario represent the moveset of Goku, and Greninja of Naruto, so you fanboys can stop ask for those silly request and take something that deserve to be in there like Lucario and Greninja do.

Lucina - This was a shocker, but not that much really. The new Fire Emblem are said to be success, not have played it myself I did not know much of the character's history, but I hoped for either Lucina or Chrom to make the game. Lucina was in the favor of Chrom in my eyes being a female representer. And to my lovley surprise I got my wish true, and as a Marth user, I'm really looking forward to see if she will be my successior over Marth.

Robin - I was clueless to who this character was, but when I knew it was the "Avatar" of Fire Emblem, I actually accepted it even more. But the moveset is so unique to the character, that I think Robin will be a fun character to experience at all costs. But we'll see when the game is out how fun he/she really is.

Leak - Leak - Leak

Dr. Mario - When I first unlocked Dr. Mario in Melee, I was happy and surprised, but I eventually mained him over Mario. But I understood why he did not appear in Brawl, regarding the rumours that he was planned. I see some saying that "He is just a clone of Mario and does not deserve to return".. Well to that I think, why the hell do we have Toon Link? But anyways, I really enjoy Dr. Mario over actual Mario, so to me it is music in my ears if the Leak is true.

Bowser Jr. - Now I've never been a fan of Bowser Jr. But eventually a lot of my friends thought of him as a cool character so I added him often to my discussions with them, and if the leak is all true, I must say what I look most forward to is to see how well it looks, visually in HD, with the clown cart. He is indeed different from what I'd expect Bowser Jr to be. Where is the brush?! But if it's true that Bowser Jr will have alt costumes for other Koopa Kids then I understand why the brush is not there.

Dark Pit - Well first I thought it would be stupid to actually add such a color swap of Pit. But then it got me thinking of how great the variation of Mario to Doc was, that I actually look forward to see what Dark Pit can do... I actually think I will main him over regular Pit who I've never liked to play as.

Duck Hunt Dog - Call God and say I'm coming! I'm in heaven... I've always and I mean ALWAYS wanted the Duck Hunt Dog to appear as a playable character after I saw the true potential the character got in Smash Crusade. So seing this makes me somewhat shed some happy tears. So now I hope the moveset will be as good as the idea of having him in. I know a lot of people will disagree on it, but I think he is awesome, and my most anitcipated character.

Shulk - I knew a lot of people wanted him in the game, but I never knew much about the character and honestly favored Isaac over him. But I don't mind that more recent IP's of Nintendo get the chance to flow, they did the same to promote the Fire Emblem franchise more with Roy, so I'm for it.

Heard rumours that the leaker had not unlocked all the characters... ?!!!?!
-----

Last edited:

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
In the end, I don't think my thoughts on the roster really matter. Some people are more passionate about the inclusion of certain characters over others.

I just know the game itself, mechanically speaking, is going to be extremely fun no matter what faces show up. That is what I ultimately bank on when I pick up this game, more than the who's who. I'm in it for the what! And what a fun game this will be.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Dark Pit and Dr. Mario annoy me since they should just be alt costumes with custom specials. If the amount of cloneage in the Zelda series can't be decreased, we shouldn't be adding more from Sakurai's babies.

Otherwise, I'm ok with the newcomers. Some (:4robinm::4palutena:) look really cool, others are more meh. I also don't like that :4zelda::4sheik:/:4samus::4zss: were split, since they worked well together. Granted, I always played as Zelda only, but now she can't transform, which was her gimmick before.

The thing that gets me most is the amount of hyped characters missing. Granted, we can't get every character, but with the massive fan rage after SSBB, the additions in fan mods, the renewed relevancy, and the huge following he still has, you think that :mewtwopm: would be one of the first characters in. Similar hype arguments can also be made for Ridley and K. Rool. Also, cuts of unique characters like :wolf::squirtle::ivysaur::popo: hurt.

If they only added Mewtwo and Ridley, my satisfaction would jump tremendously into 'great roster' territory. Add K.Rool and set up Wolf, Squirtle, and Ivysaur for DLC, and this roster is amazing. And I'd love to see some DLC to unlock ATs like Midna or Ghirahim to playable too.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
to everyone saying this is the final roster it is not there are 4 to 6 slots left on there that means we could still could get ridley and mewtwo. also i want to show you this video by relax alax he talks about the leak and it is really goo what he found with some help with a couple of smash boards people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig36DHVp4lk&list=UUkmP59n7648ESU0PJsJMiRw

so if you don't see your favorite character on the leak don't worry that is not all of the roster

also since custom move sets are in the game we can chose whatever move set we want so you don't have to just keep dark pit and Dr Mario the same as Mario or pit you can change it to different move set so you wont have clones

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
A lot of people judge the roster for who it doesn't have as opposed to who it does.

So, lets do it like this. If three years ago you had told me Smash 4 would have:

Mega Man
Little Mac
Palutena
Pac-Man
Robin
Shulk
Customizable Miis
An AC rep
A 6th gen poke (which I fully expected over Mewtwo)
Bowser Jr
Duck Hunt Dog

I would have been sold right then. (But for the record, I was sold at Mega Man and Mac, but anyway).

Then you got your bonus obligatory wtf in WFT and Rosalina and a few clones, and then whatever potential extra hiddens/DLC and call it good.

It's easy to complain about no Ridley or Ice Climbers or Wolf, but come on. This is a good list.

As the Rolling Stones say, "You can't always get what you want. But sometimes, you get what you need."

9.5/10

Last edited:

SciCore

Filthy Casual
Overall I give it a 9/10, though that may change depending on the characters not shown yet.

The leak characters are looking pretty nice for the most part. What upsets me the most is the cuts. I was expecting Snake to be cut so that doesn't bug me to much, and I didn't play Lucas much so him being gone didn't really bother me either (though I know lots of people liked him).

Wolf and the Ice Climbers bug me a bit though. Wolf because he is my Project M main, and my favorite star fox character. The Ice Climbers being cut just feels... wrong. Though I can understand why, given that having eight detailed characters running at 60 FPS on the 3DS might just not be possible.

I see a lot of people complaining about Dark Pit, And I can understand why they would. Kid Icarus is getting a lot more representation than some people think it deserves, with all its new items/smash run enemies etc. And now 3 characters on top of that, even though one is most likely a clone. I feel that some of this may not necessarily be because of so much KI representation, but because it has more than other series like Metroid and Donkey Kong (Though they both may be getting newcomers, so who knows).
My opinion on Dark Pit himself will depend on his moveset.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
A lot of people judge the roster for who it doesn't have as opposed to who it does.

So, lets do it like this. If three years ago you had told me Smash 4 would have:

Mega Man
Little Mac
Palutena
Pac-Man
Robin
Shulk
Customizable Miis
An AC rep
A 6th gen poke (which I fully expected over Mewtwo)
Bowser Jr
Duck Hunt Dog

I would have been sold right then. (But for the record, I was sold at Mega Man and Mac, but anyway).

Then you got your bonus obligatory wtf in WFT and Rosalina and a few clones, and then whatever potential extra hiddens/DLC and call it good.

It's easy to complain about no Ridley or Ice Climbers or Wolf, but come on. This is a good list.

As the Rolling Stones say, "You can't always get what you want. But sometimes, you get what you need."

9.5/10
Friend I have good news for you.

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
9/10, don't mind Dr. Mario or Duck Hunt Dog. Thankfully, Pac-Man is the older one and not the newer, obnoxious teeth one. The rest of the roster is perfect.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I was satisfied with the roster before the leak

After the leak, I was ecstatic, but a little sad at the loss of some dear veterans.

However, the implication that there are yet more characters to come is astounding. I'm beyond happy. The only thing that could make this roster perfect is Ridley, imo.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
8 Out Of 10
was satisfied with the roster before the leak
After the leak, I was a little sad
at the loss of some dear veterans.
:popo::lucas::ivysaur::squirtle::wolf:,
and mad because It features:drmario:.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm going with 8/10.

It was 9.5/10 before the leak, but the clones dragged it down.

Normally, I wouldn't diss on the clones, because they could always be other characters, you know?
But here's what happened:

:evil::pit:: This is really stupid. Dark Pit wasn't even a character, he started out as a RECOLOR that got way too popular for its own good. Sakurai turned it into a separate character, and now said character is part of SSB4's roster.
If it had been Medusa, then at least it would've been less painful because 1st, it would've been the first female villain in SSB, and 2nd, she's actually important to KI. Watch out, guys, Golden Pit will be in SSB5!

:drmario:: With alt. costumes, and custom moves, Dr.Mario could have been included without resorting to be a separate character.

:4lucina:: My "favorite" of my least liked characters. She looks exactly like Marth. I still can't see the difference between them other than longer hair. The only reason why I hold Lucina in a slightly higher regard than the other two, is because she IS another character that isn't Marth (even though it looks exactly like him in almost every way, even the androginousness). So yeah, at least she didn't originate as a recolor, or is a costume to Marth. (Although she was meant to be in this game).

:4charizard:: I'll never get over why this guy had to come back without :squirtle::ivysaur::pt:. I'll never let this go. It was a dumb move, and it'll be even dumber if at least :squirtle::ivysaur: don't return separately. So :pt: had a few drawbacks... big deal. Just make him stronger to make up for it.

--

As for the rest of the roster, I like it.
But the ones who have the biggest influence over the roster for me are:

:4megaman:: Plain and simple, Megaman was my 3rd most wanted character in both Brawl and now. But he's been a childhood icon for me since always. I adore his games, and I marathon them at least twice a year. I was really bummed at the reason why he didn't make in in Brawl... But it was all for the best, because I've become an even BIGGER fan of him than I already was as I waited in anticipation. His moveset is AWESOME, and he fits so well in Smash, he might as well be treated like a 1st party character!

:4littlemac:: Little Mac hail from a classic series which I never dared touching as a kid, but now that I'm older, and I wanted to see what the fuzz of Punch Out was all about, I saw the charm of the series. It's an epic quest of a little boxer to become the world champion, having to face bigger and stronger opponents than him. Sometimes even having to face cheating opponents that play dirty tricks or even wield weapons to get the best of him. But Mac still prevails! And the thought of him incorporating his clean Boxing skills into a place full of energy attacks, melee weapons, and odd opponents, Little Mac fits PERFECTLY! Because that's the kind of challenge he gets all the time, only tenfold.

:4sonic:: Sonic is BACK, baby! I was worried he might not show up, but he is and now my two favorite blue dudes from videogames are on the same battleground! Recently I've grown out of Sonic as a franchise (mostly after SEGA's awful handling of the supposed Sonic 3 & Knuckles sequel, the terribly named Sonic the Hedgehog 4). But seeing him back with his spin-centric moveset, and his attitude, is always a blast. I'm crossing my fingers so I can get to play as Classic Sonic as an alternate costume!

:4pacman:: Another one of my childhood icons. I admit I haven't played anything that has him running on legs, but it's still a classic icon, and I've spent a good deal of my childhood playing Pacman (ok, Ms.Pacman, sometimes in 2P mode so I could play as THE Pacman), and I'm glad he's in!

:4wiifit:: I had no idea what to think of her when I saw her for the first time. But then I couldn't help accepting her with open arms. Her inclusion was not only tongue in cheek with the boring-ass Wii Fit presentations at E3, but it also turned out she was an extremely unique addition to the roster. I'm glad WFT is in!

:083: :058:: The first game I owned together with SMB. So much joy and frustration at shooting pixelated ducks, and getting mocked by that dog. Never thought a videogame would be so interactive with the player. (Then StarTropics came along, and that broke the 4th wall in a way my brain couldn't comprehend at the time). But yeah, if the leak is real, and Duck Hunt is indeed in, I couldn't be happier. And would have actually found a 3rd/4th main.
This character alone makes up for Dork Pit, Lucina, and Doc. Can't wait to get my hands on them! :D

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
There is no option for general disapproval like there is for approval (Sakurai did a great job choosing the characters) without saying every single newcomer is terrible. I hate this roster, but even I don't think that. Regardless, I chose the option, because it's the closest to what I would want. The poll is biased. Now, for my unpopular opinions that do not praise Sakurai's decisions universally.

Literally only good newcomers:
Mewtwo
Ridley
Little Mac
Mega Man

Not offensive but boring:
Robin
Villager
Shulk
Mach Rider
Palutena
Pac Man

Actively Bad:
Dixie Kong
Duck Hunt Dog
Impa
Rosalina
Lucina

Cancer:
Chorus Kids
Dark Pit
Dr. Mario
Bowser Jr.
Greninja
Mii #1
WFT
Mii #2
Mii #3

Cut in favor of Dr. Mario's return:
Wolf
Lucas
Ice Climbers
Snake
Ivysaur
Squirtle
Roy

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly I hated the roster until Pac-Man showed up. Pretty much only Mac and Villager stood out to me as characters I'd even vaguely care about(having never grown up with Megaman, I can't really care less about him).
Wii Fit Trainer still seems like a joke that's got less funny over the year as more characters who people actually wanted have been deconfirmed.
Greninja was wtf random.
Sheik is back. As her own slot.
Squirtle and Ivysaur, the two Pokemon I actually enjoyed, were cut.
Rosalina was not the Mario character I wanted and just seemed shoehorned into everything at the time of her trailer(3D World, Baby Rosalina in Mario Kart 8).
Mii's showed up and whilst vaguely better than I was expecting I suddenly realised they may have taken far too much dev time, and very few of my favourite characters are human anyway so I couldn't even make them with the Mii.
Palutena showed up and was just...a kitchen sink character I could not see the appeal of. Playstyle? Screw it. We don't need playstyle; just give her everything. **** it.

Then we got a character I cared for and actually considered iconic; Pac-Man. The most famous video game character of all time(aside from maybe Mario). Glorious. Pac haters are people I never understood, but the majority seemed to end up liking him.

After Pac-Man we got Robin who stopped the dreaded Chrom dullness from happening, and showed there was more to FE than male blue haired sword lords. Have some magic. Loved by most.
We got a fantastic retro in Duck Hunt Dog. Actually famous retro right here.
We got my least favourite character from Mario, but with a great gameplay style in Bowser Jr. I'm taken aback by how much I like him here, particularly if we get Koopaling alts.
Mii Plaza hats were confirmed a thing so I can wooden spoon prize characters I actually genuinely wanted.

Dr. Mario's still a massive disappointment, and Dark Pit could go either way depending on what they do with him. I'm neutral on Shulk, but he's the one character I don't really know that well and want to learn about through Smash.

If the leak's are true after this we got a third DK rep in Dixie Kong, which is the only female character I've really wanted this time round AND possibly Impa who has grown on me greatly since her Hyrule Warriors reveal.

The first half was absolute crap for me aside from Villager and Little Mac. I should of started Smash speculation post E3 2014 instead of 2013.

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I see nothing to complain about. Even if you or I don't get our dream characters this is still the best roster to-date.

51 characters so far and likely a couple more to unlock? Yes please. :awesome:

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
The only thing I dislike about this roster is Dark Pit.

Other than that it's amazing! Buh-bye Wolf and Lucas, you lame characters!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Lousy. I thought the last remaining newcomers could make up for the overabundance of anime characters. Nope.

See I was fuming when I heard Fire Emblem was getting 4 characters. Three would've been fine but FOUR? Now we have Dark Pit and Shulk too!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom