• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
As a Lucas main in Brawl I can tell you that Lucas and Ness play way differently from each other, and if anything Lucas seems underrated in my eyes since everyone wants him gone.
Maybe people want Lucas gone because... oh I don't know... he's a semi-clone of Ness? Because..... Lucas isn't really an important character? Because Lucas isn't like all that prioritized (Earthbound isn't all that prioritized either). So yeah... Lucas isn't underrated. I think it's fair to place him on the chopping block and see if he gets cut.

I mean, sure Lucas and Ness have differences but it's not really noticeable. They both have similar specials and attacks, and it's not like anybody could tell the difference between them firsthand. And yeah Lucas is important to his game, but it's not like its an important game to Nintendo history. Seriously, the game never even released for America! And besides, Earthbound is a small-time niche series whose only fanbase is a dedicated cult. I don't see why the series should be over-represented over Metroid and Donkey Kong. :glare:

people want Lucas gone for the same reasons people wanted Doctor Mario, Pichu, and Young Link gone. Lucas adds nothing to the Smash roster. We already have Ness and his status is already questionable. Don't act spoiled and selfish by wanting more Earthbound reps.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yep, this looks great, though I wonder why people pick K.Rool over Dixie.
Because most people think a fat alligator would be more unique than another monkey and they falsely believe that Dixie Kong would be a clone of Diddy Kong and because we apparently need more villains (what's this? affirmative action?).

I think I am one of the few people who wants both King K. Rool and Dixie Kong. Personally, I believe Dixie Kong is more likely than King K. Rool because Sakurai planned to add Dixie Kong in Brawl (just like how Sakurai planned to add Lucas in Melee but added him in Brawl... just like how Sakurai planned to add Villager in Brawl but added him in SSB4) and because Dixie Kong is currently more relevant to the Donkey Kong series than King K. Rool because of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Yep, this looks great, though I wonder why people pick K.Rool over Dixie.

Mostly because we feel he'd bring a lot more variety to the table looks-wise and moveset-wise than Dixie would. I mean, even though she does have a lot of potential to be unique, Dixie at her core is still mostly just Diddy Kong with a ponytail, in both physical appearance and in moveset potential, whereas K. Rool has ALL of his different incarnations/costumes to draw from, moveset-wise. If Wolf and Lucas are still given hell and called clones of Fox and Ness to this day, simply because they look similar and share a Final Smash, imagine what will happen to Dixie Kong, who looks even more like Diddy than those two do to their "counterparts".

Not to mention that K. Rool is overall more important to the series. Until recently, K. Rool had vastly more game appearances than Dixie did, what with her not appearing in DK64 and the Jungle Beat/Climber games while K. Rool did.

I mean, I'm personally a proponent of us getting both, but how likely that is is up in the air. Honestly though, if we did get Dixie, I'd prefer to have her paired with Kiddy, for variety's sake, and so we can see how Sakurai's partner concept would've worked out.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
At least it doesn't have Nintendog,but still is a bad roster in my opinion.
He still has Anna on it, which is still awful. She isn't making the roster

Who here is going to get both the Wii U and 3DS versions?
I'm getting both. The question I'm asking myself is which one I'm getting first lol

Here's everyone's "preferred" roster, only I still predict Kawashima and a Hanafuda character.

Though one cut seems unneccessary. I couldn't fit Snake anyway.
Just note this is not my preferred roster.
Remove the following: ANNA, Dr, Kawashima, Nintendouji

Add: Bowser Jr, separate the Kongs, and Isaac

Still as awful as ever

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think K Rool does have a better chance of being "more unique" than Dixie, but I still want her more. I don't think she'll be a clone, but I mean it is possible I guess.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't know. I just see Snake as bigger priority than Pac-Man. I don't always take iconicness into account as they clearly are less iconic than Pac-Man and got into Brawl.
I just REALLY don't see one third-party leaving and not the other.

they falsely believe that Dixie Kong would be a clone of Diddy Kong
What reason could their possibly be for her not being a semi-clone of Diddy. I mean according to EVERY Smash game it's only common knowledge she'd be a clone of him. (Despite her Upward B and Smash Attacks)

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Here's everyone's "preferred" roster, only I still predict Kawashima and a Hanafuda character.

Points for adding Anna. I think she has a higher chance than people give her credit, shes one of the ONLY recurring characters in FE.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Let's put it this way.
How will Dixie be anything more than a semi-clone?
If someone gives me an answer that doesn't include hair, they get a cookie.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Still as awful as ever
Give him some credit. It's WAY better than before. (not saying it's good, but to compare it to his old one is harsh)

Also I am getting both versions of Smash on launch day. No question about it.

I don't think she'll be a clone
I still don't understand why people think Dixie won't be a clone. I mean if the logic is that she can have her own moves. Keep in mind that Lucas and Ganondorf could have their own moves, but that didn't help them.

Reznor

work in progress
Mostly because we feel he'd bring a lot more variety to the table looks-wise and moveset-wise than Dixie would. I mean even though she does have a lot of potential to be unique, Dixie at her core is still mostly just Diddy Kong with a ponytail, in both physical appearance and in moveset potential, whereas K. Rool has ALL of his different incarnations/costumes to draw from, moveset-wise. If Wolf and Lucas are still given hell and called clones of Fox and Ness to this day, simply because they look similar and share a Final Smash, imagine what will happen to Dixie Kong, who looks even more like Diddy than those two do to their "counterparts". Not to mention that K. Rool's overall more important to the series. Until recently, K. Rool had vastly more game appearances than Dixie did, what with her not appearing in DK64 and the Jungle Beat/Climber games while K. Rool did.

I mean, I'm personally a proponent of us getting both, but how likely that is is up in the air. Honestly though, if we did get Dixie, I'd prefer to have her paired with Kiddy, for variety's sake, and so we can see how Sakurai's partner concept would've worked out.
assuming they would play similar because they look alike ..... Kirby and MetaKnight look the exact same and they play nothing alike (except MK wears a mask)
King K.Rool may have had more appearances but he hasn't had one in DK games in a long time while Dixie is in the newest one

no one likes Kiddy Kong dude no one

Shroob

Sup?
I don't know. I just see Snake as bigger priority than Pac-Man. I don't always take iconicness into account as they clearly are less iconic than Pac-Man and got into Brawl.
I just REALLY don't see one third-party leaving and not the other.

What reason could their possibly be for her not being a semi-clone of Diddy. I mean according to EVERY Smash game it's only common knowledge she'd be a clone of him. (Despite her Upward B and Smash Attacks)
Well, for starters, since Dixie Kong wasn't in Donkey Kong 64, she wouldn't have Diddy's Peanut Popguns. Heck, she could use her sister's weapons from that game, Tiny Kong.

TheDivineDeity

Decided to come back when the heat cooled down and get more of my writing done. Seems a lot of people were pissed at me for something and I always seem to be unaware of what it is and thus can't seem to understand why. So I'm just gonna try not to give in to flaming.. ...So..... ONCE AGAIN you believe you to be innocent like an angel and everybody else to be guilty like a demon. Why don't you just own up to your mistakes Noah? Own up to your mistakes. STOP putting the blame on everybody else but yourself. You're guilty of your own actions so live up to it. :glare:

I'd like to point out that this New (X & Y Mega Charizard) may result in Mewtwo and Lucario's priority not being THAT far apart. So far all that has changed for Mewtwo is the movie and being the first Mega Evolution reveal. I've also come to the conclusion that if we DO get Mega Evolutions, I think Mega Mewtwo Y will be the ONLY one we end up getting as to avoid lazy final smashes and redundancy.
...Do you ACTUALLY think Mewtwo is only getting in Smash because of a movie? ONLY because of a movie? :rolleyes: WRONG AGAIN. Mewtwo is still an extremely relevant Pokemon, Uber on competitive tier lists, is an iconic Gen 1 legendary that everyone knows about, has importance in the anime and games (and movie as well), and has an upcoming game where he's one of the main characters. The movie isn't the ONLY reason Mewtwo is getting into Smash. :rolleyes:

And if Mewtwo got in only because of a movie (this is your logic, not mine) then he would use the X form, not the Y form. That's the truth. :rolleyes:

Who is Nintendouji, just out of curiosity. Also why not put Snake in Pac-Man's spot? AGAIN with the anti-yellow racist Pacman bigotry... :facepalm:
I hope you play nice this time.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Let's put it this way.
Apparently any character that has a single uniqueness won't be a clone/semi-clone. According to Wolf, Lucas, Toon Link, and every other Smash Character that got their own specials because of their uniqueness. Oh, wait.....

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Let's put it this way.

I guess she could use bubblegum. Or a guitar, those could work.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Give him some credit. It's WAY better than before. (not saying it's good, but to compare it to his old one is harsh)

Also I am getting both versions of Smash on launch day. No question about it.

I still don't understand why people think Dixie won't be a clone. I mean if the logic is that she can have her own moves. Keep in mind that Lucas and Ganondorf could have their own moves, but that didn't help them.
Some credit, yes. But he's still thinking outside the box for characters no one would be interested in playing

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Maybe people want Lucas gone because... oh I don't know... he's a semi-clone of Ness? Because..... Lucas isn't really an important character? Because Lucas isn't like all that prioritized (Earthbound isn't all that prioritized either). So yeah... Lucas isn't underrated. I think it's fair to place him on the chopping block and see if he gets cut.

I mean, sure Lucas and Ness have differences but it's not really noticeable. They both have similar specials and attacks, and it's not like anybody could tell the difference between them firsthand. And yeah Lucas is important to his game, but it's not like its an important game to Nintendo history. Seriously, the game never even released for America! And besides, Earthbound is a small-time niche series whose only fanbase is a dedicated cult. I don't see why the series should be over-represented over Metroid and Donkey Kong. :glare:

people want Lucas gone for the same reasons people wanted Doctor Mario, Pichu, and Young Link gone. Lucas adds nothing to the Smash roster. We already have Ness and his status is already questionable. Don't act spoiled and selfish by wanting more Earthbound reps.
I agree that we will not see any other reps besides the two we saw in Brawl. But, I have to say, Lucas is completely different from Ness. Not attack-wise, in that case he's a semi-clone, but just feels very different. But I think the fact stands that Lucas was supposed to be included in Melee. And that game was very well-received in Japan, the main people Sakurai is looking at. And trust me, I use Lucas as one of my mains, and I can NOT play Ness. It's just bad.

You are right in that Lucas does not add anything "that new". But I think he does add variety to the Earthbound series. I mean, Ness is using tactics and techniques through PSI power and his, um, yo-yo, while Lucas uses pure PSI power as a form of brawn. It's like they're both representing the power of PSI. And plus, despite being a franchise on a clear hiatus, he's the mascot of the latest game. So he is technically relevant.

However, as much as I want to defend Lucas, I would not be surprised if he was cut. Though, personally, it'd be a pretty dumb move, we'll see. I mean, hell, they kept Toon Link. As much as I was happy he was back, the only thing he has different from Link is his Toon design.

EDIT: Saturn said he's gonna try and stop. I suggest you don't provoke him, the same advice I gave to him. But then again we're all hypocrites.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I seriously doubt Sakurai is going to bother with second-party Nintendo characters... when HAL Laboratory was a second-party, Kirby and Ness were more or less second-party characters since HAL Laboratory developed Kirby and EarthBound games but HAL Laboratory also developed Smash 64 and Melee... so of course, HAL Laboratory was going to be biased towards its own characters. The other second-party franchise is Pokemon but it's understandable since Pokemon is a cash cow for Nintendo. Many second-party franchises are not cash cows like Pokemon is... so I don't have much faith in Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Legendary Starfy, etc.... which is unfortunate since I really enjoyed Golden Sun games (including the DS one) and The Legendary Starfy.

Sakurai adding Villager and Wii Fit Trainer pretty much confirmed to me that Sakurai still has a bias for first-party Nintendo characters. Sakurai adding Mega Man also confirmed to me that Sakurai would add third-party characters only if they were gaming icons (ie. Snake, Sonic) and this is why I believe Pac-Man is the logical choice if Sakurai decided to add a Namco character. Sakurai is not going to add random third-party characters who aren't significant to video game history.

Let's put it this way.
So your only justification for believing that Dixie Kong would be a clone is by taking away the only thing that made her unique (her hair)?

TheDivineDeity

you want the truth, I'll tell you the truth whether you like it or not.... this roster sucks. it just sucks. :facepalm: No offense, i'm just saying. Don't get me wrong there's some good choices, but some pretty bad ones as well.

Dr. Kawashima and Nintendowhatever-the-**** (WHO is this?!) as playable characters?! Diddy and Dixie Kong TOGETHER (imagine the rage from Diddy mains having to CHANGE their strategies)?!?! Anna over ROY?!?!?!?! Seriously, no offense but your roster needs A LOT of work. Remove Kawashima/Nintendosomething, separate Diddy and Dixie from each other, and replace Anna with Roy. I mean seriously, why are your rosters always like this? Why? :ohwell:

Bonus points to adding Pacman, though. :)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So your only justification for believing that Dixie Kong would be a clone is by taking away the only thing that made her unique (her hair)?
Her hair only gives her an Up B, grab, and some new basic moves.
She'd still end up a semi-clone, we all know how Sakurai does these things.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think if they could make Dixie a unique character, they could fully do it through her ponytail. I mean, the possibilities Sakurai could come up with is staggering. But that's my two cents. If Dixie were to be a unique character, I think her moveset would result in hair-based attacks primarily.

Reznor

work in progress
I seriously doubt Sakurai is going to bother with second-party Nintendo characters... when HAL Laboratory was a second-party, Kirby and Ness were more or less second-party characters since HAL Laboratory developed Kirby and EarthBound games but HAL Laboratory also developed Smash 64 and Melee... so of course, HAL Laboratory was going to be biased towards its own characters. The other second-party franchise is Pokemon but it's understandable since Pokemon is a cash cow for Nintendo. Many second-party franchises are not cash cows like Pokemon is... so I don't have much faith in Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Legendary Starfy, etc.... which is unfortunate since I really enjoyed Golden Sun games (including the DS one) and The Legendary Starfy.

Sakurai adding Villager and Wii Fit Trainer pretty much confirmed to me that Sakurai still has a bias for first-party Nintendo characters. Sakurai adding Mega Man also confirmed to me that Sakurai would add third-party characters only if they were gaming icons (ie. Snake, Sonic) and this is why I believe Pac-Man is the logical choice if Sakurai decided to add a Namco character. Sakurai is not going to add random third-party characters who aren't significant to video game history.
I agree 100% people keep asking for 3rd parties that aren't icons and insulting those that are (mostly Pacman)

Her hair only gives her an Up B, grab, and some new basic moves.

She'd still end up a semi-clone, we all know how Sakurai does these things.

unless you are a Smash developer you have no idea who she will play you gotta stop assuming

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Own up to your mistakes. STOP putting the blame on everybody else but yourself. You're guilty of your own actions so live up to it. :glare:
Am I really hearing this from Divine Deity???

...Do you ACTUALLY think Mewtwo is only getting in Smash because of a movie?
I actually didn't say that at all actually

ONLY because of a movie? :rolleyes: WRONG AGAIN.
again, didn't say that. I said all that has changed since Brawl was a movie. Never said anything about it having a sole influence or any influence on his inclusion. I appreciate the over use of Rolling eye and face palm gifs. You're such a charmer aren't you?

Mewtwo is still an extremely relevant Pokemon, Uber on competitive tier lists, is an iconic Gen 1 legendary that everyone knows about, has importance in the anime and games (and movie as well), and has an upcoming game where he's one of the main characters. The movie isn't the ONLY reason Mewtwo is getting into Smash. :rolleyes:
Thanks. That goes without saying (though to correct you he's only had importance in the movies. Not the actual Anime on TV.

And if Mewtwo got in only because of a movie (this is your logic, not mine) then he would use the X form, not the Y form. That's the truth. :rolleyes:
But, Mewtwo used the Y form in the movie. You did see the trailers, right?

Who is Nintendouji, just out of curiosity. Also why not put Snake in Pac-Man's spot? AGAIN with the anti-yellow racist Pacman bigotry... :facepalm:
Nope. Just think that because Snake was so well receieved there is as much reason to have Pac-Man over him as their was in Brawl. If Pac-Man didn't get in over him in Brawl then why now? I actually fully acknoledge the likeliness of Pac-Man (or at least before Sonic was confirmed.) So I see no reason why you use the mentality of "You love the characters you predict and hate the ones you don't." It's not a very logical mentality.

I also said I'm not getting into flames, so I'd appreciate you attempt to put effort into that for once in your life. Starting with the you getting rid of your sassy face icon addiction.
I guess she could use bubblegum. Or a guitar, those could work.
I'd say the gum would replace the Peanut Popgun, but work all the same. And the Guitar would replace the Final Smash. Also the Helicopter Hair replace the Jetpack. After giving her Hair based Smash Attacks, she's left with 3 of Diddy's Specials. Not bad.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
assuming they would play similar because they look alike ..... Kirby and MetaKnight look the exact same and they play nothing alike (except MK wears a mask)
King K.Rool may have had more appearances but he hasn't had one in DK games in a long time while Dixie is in the newest one

no one likes Kiddy Kong dude no one

I'm not assuming because they look alike, I'm assuming because they have such a similar bodyshape, and the fact that Dixie has so few things that could differentiate her. Her hair could help yeah, but unless they use that for every single attack, which I have a lot of difficulty believing, I find it hard to believe that Sakurai wouldn't port over most of Diddy's non-special moves, all of which she could easily do.

The difference between Kirby and Metaknight and Diddy and Dixie is that Metaknight has a lot of differences between him and Kirby, where Dixie basically only has one. Metaknight has wings and a sword, and lacks the inhale ability and the ability to use copy powers like Kirby. Whereas Dixie is just Diddy + hair. If Metaknight's only difference was that he was just Kirby with batwings, he didn't use a sword, I'd be saying the same thing, about Metaknight being destined to be a Kirby clone.

Tropical Freeze, again, will have little to no influence on Smash, seeing as how the two games have both been in development at the same time. Dixie has to rely on her history before Tropical Freeze to get in, which is at best a spotty one, with the only standouts being DKC2 and 3, both of which K. Rool also appeared in.

I know Kiddy Kong isn't the most popular character, but aside from gluing her to Diddy, which almost no one wants to see happen, he's the only way we could feasibly see a DKC-style partner character happen. It's either Kiddy or she goes solo, and I'd feel like a partner character would be much more unique than post-salon Diddy.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

I don't think your roster sucks, just a bit over-unnecessary. I mean, it's alright to have a character that adds a bit of personality and quirkiness to your roster, but it's too much.

My suggestions are to take out Kawashima and Nintendouji, and to separate the Kongs, as they NEED to be separated. If they didn't work one time, they won't this time. I'm perfectly fine with Anna though. And maybe, since there's still a slot left, I believe, add Snake back. Having him as the only cut character is a bit strange.

TheDivineDeity

I'd say the gum would replace the Peanut Popgun, but work all the same. And the Guitar would replace the Final Smash. Also the Helicopter Hair replace the Jetpack. After giving her Hair based Smash Attacks, she's left with 3 of Diddy's Specials. Not bad.
Wow... I mean wow... an ACTUAL respectful discussion between me and Noah. No fighting no screaming no hair-pulling. Just a respectful discussion. That's pretty cool of you Noah :)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Habanero adding to the discussion once again...
You are starting this IMMEDIATELY after ranting on me for being a jerk (which like I said before I'm not always aware of). At least I try and that's why this whole "You got the worst reputation" thing is a completely irrelevant and 100% hypocritical argument.

So, please..........................do not start another MOTHER rant (that rhymes).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wow... I mean wow... an ACTUAL respectful discussion between me and Noah. No fighting no screaming no hair-pulling. Just a respectful discussion. That's pretty cool of you Noah :)
You are starting this IMMEDIATELY after ranting on me for being a jerk (which like I said before I'm not always aware of). At least I try and that's why this whole "You got the worst reputation" thing is a completely irrelevant and 100% hypocritical argument.

So, please..........................do not start another MOTHER rant (that rhymes).
Well, that escalated quickly...

TheDivineDeity

Hypocritical statement of the century.
At least I can bring something to the conversation, like talking about the current subjects. All you did was say "Muh divinedeity adds nothing to the conversation" and nothing else. I did bring something to the table. You didn't. Facts are facts. Now stop being a jerk. to everybody. ;)

TheDivineDeity

Oh wow, so I cant like HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION THEN EVERYBODY ELSE?!?!?! Hows this then - "MUH Earthbound is the greatest game I EVER played!!!1" Seriously, WHY can't I have a different opinion than you? Why?!

Hey I'm sorry I offended you but sometimes you offend me, you know? I mean, I don;t mean it or anything but sometimes my opinions and your opinions aren't the same, so we argue about it and ****. So yeah again I'm no trying to offend you like Tumblr said I'm just trying to disagree with you. Let's learn to disagree not argue. :urg:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom