• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Wow Marsh... that's alotta booty... By chance did you get those off DeviantART? Some of those look familar...

Back on topic: I'm wondering if Ridley could be elavated to semi-confirmed status, and not just due to the "reflection on Samus' helmet" speculation. In Sakurai's message to the Nsiders, he mentioned in regard to his inclusion of more Metroid characters. Well, Z-Suit Samus certainly isn't a new character, just a variation of a curently existing one - and, for all we know, the same character under certain "conditions." Sakurai's been know to use ambigously language, could he be dropping us a hint?

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
Anomilus said:
I was wondering.......

Maybe if we convinced SamuraiPanda, he would translate these movesets, or help us find a way to get them noticed by Mr. Sakurai. There's gotta be some way to at least get him thinking a little more about Ridley. Maybe he already is, but I won't be convinced until I see solid proof. (That consideration list doesn't seem strong enough...)
Are we going for this or not?

Eaode

Smash Champion
Yeah, Compile everything and put it in. My movelist is on page 4

Sorry for the completely new account, but my password has reset, and the "forgotten your password?" Has not worked. I don't know what was wrong with it, so I created eaode >_<. I feel so n00bish...

edit: here are all the movelists from this thread, pure and unedited:

X_ARRE/EAODE
*Ridley
-Moderately heavy
-Scaled down to Bowser size.
-A-attacks including (but not limited to) tail swipes/stabs, bites, claw slashes and wing strikes.
-Has two midjumps
-Falls fairly quickly.
-Neutral B: Fire blast: Like someone mentioned before, Ridley would spit multiple fireballs, with progressing range. The number of fireballs depends how many times you press it in succession (up to 4). When firing, you can change the direction of the blast, ala Yoshi. When held, the blast will charge in his mouth. Maximum charge is five seconds. When the charge is released, Ridley will let out a screech and the blast will discharge. The blast would be a mix of Roy's fully charged B, Bowser's B, and Mario's Fsmash. It would start as an explosion, and send opponents flying, and finish as a steady flame Like Ness's PK fire, only bigger.
-Forward B: Lunge: On the ground, Ridley will lunge forward and grab the enemy next to him. If out of range, it will be a slashing attack, ala Bowser. Once in Ridley's grip, the enemy will be exposed to biting (with A), or torching (with B). When performed in the air, Ridley will fly forward a little farther than Fox's illusion, swooping down a little and coming back up. This is used as an alternate recovery, like Illusion. If an opponent is grabbed by this, Ridley will comeplete the move, enemy in his claws. When you are still in the air with the opponent, you can tailstab him (>B/<B), stomp him to the ground (vB), throw him back up (^B), or torch him (B). If the enemy is thrown back up, you will not be stunned and will be able to do more aerial attacks. When you land with the opponent, the earlier controls apply.
-Down B: Protect? (not sure what to call it): Ridley will wrap his wings around him, absorbing all attacks for a second (like Meta Knight, w/o invisibility). If attacks are absorbed, he will abruptly open his wings and screech, hitting enemies from all directions. This will work like Marth/Roy's Down B, except hitting enemies anywhere, not just in front of him. If nothing hits Ridley, he will calmly open his wings.
-Up B: Sky Missile: Ridley will strongly flap his wings once, blowing opponents downward (useful for edgeguarding)and swoop upward with his fings now folded. At the top of the flight, he will open up, hitting those in front of him with a slash. When performed on the ground, He will screech and flap is wings, blowing everyone away from him and creating some distance. If the enemy is airbourne, it will turn them around like Mario's cape.
-Throw: He will grab the opponent. Hitting them will make Ridley claw at them, throwing them forward or back will make Ridley fling him/her away and shoot a follow up missile. Throwing them up will just, well... throw them upward. Throwing down will make Ridley stomp on them, and slash them away.
-Taunt: Ridley will throw his arms back, flap his wings, and screech.
-When kirby sucks him up, he will get wings and a tail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KAID

a: claw swipes (Bowser)
tiltA: tail attack (like M2)
downA: Bite
upA: overhead claw (like bowser)

fair: foward claw (like bowser)
Dair: foot-claw swipe (Marth)
Backair: tailflick (M2)
Upair: flip with tail (M2)
Nair: aerial spin

Fsmash: Headbutt
Usmash: Overhead bite
Dsmash: Double tail flick (yoshi, with more range)

B: Kinetic Breath Weapon- think a shorter thunder that starts at ridley's mouth and angles downward. Startup time is comparable to Warlock Punch or Gannon's uptilt

vB: Wingover dive- Ridly stopps falling for an instant, gliding foward... then flips over and drops like a rock. inspired by Warlock/Falcon kick.

<B Meta Claw- Read as Koopa claw

^B: Bombing run- Ridley flys upward, dropping weak explosive projectiles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
META ALEX

TRANSFORMATION RIDLEY: TO FLY OR NOT?

This incarnation of Ridley would be difficult to play, as it relies on effectively switching between two characters for different situations rather than sticking with one that you like better.
The default Ridley would be the walker Ridley. His jump would be high, but very, very fast and his ability to move horizontally quickly would be on par with Fox's Foward+B move.

Walker Ridley

B: Flaming Breath Sweep,
Ridley fires a constant stream of fire for 3 seconds that has the ability to push enemies back quite well but it poor at finishing them. The direction could be controlled by the player during the attack.

Foward+B: Charge Attack,
Ridley opens his mouth and jumps forward, almost completely horizontally, dealing a good amount of damage with good finishing and knockback potential.

Up+B: Fly,
Switches Ridley into his second form, see below.

Down+B: Ground Smash,
Ridley jumps into the air and hits the ground with a large shockwave, doing minimal damage but with very good knockback results. If you're a fan of the older Metroids, you can imagine his doing his pogo-tail attack.

Flyer Ridley

B: Flaming Breath Sweep.
See above.

Forward+B: Swoop.
As you charge it, you can aim Ridley who swoops down and back up, dealing good amounts of damage and knockback, doing a 90 degree turn in all.

Up+B: Propell,
Ridley faces the ground at a 45 degree angle and shoots jets of flame out of his mouth, pushing himself upwards and doing damage to anyone below.

Down+ B: Revert,
Goes back to walker Ridley.

Generally, this form of Ridley would have free, gravity-free movement. The cost, however, would be the lack of any stringable moves and the ability to be knocked off far easier than anyone else, at about 50%. He would have to rely on mundane swoop attacks for damage, and this form would be more for attacking enemies without rqanged attacks, although those ones could very easily damage and kill him with their powerful melee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ANOMILUS

A,A,A - {Tearing Combo} - Ridley slashes to the right, then left, then extends his neck out and bites the enemy

>A - {Tail Strike} - A quick slap with his tail

vA - {Lawn Scissors} - Ridley extends his neck and snaps at his opponent's legs

^A - {Wall Rake} - Ridley swipes upwards with both claws, standing much taller in the process

Dash A - {Reckless Lunge} - Ridley lunges at the opponent at high speed, floating off the ground for a little bit

J, A - {Talon Gasher} - Ridley thrusts his foot claws forward to rip the enemy

J, >A - {Snake Whip} - Ridley's tail strikes semi-diagonally at the opponent

J, <A - {Beating Wings} - Ridley's wings extend and beat rapidly to slap up opponents behind him

J, ^A - {Windmill Tail} - Ridley spins his tail around rapidly. Can hit on all sides, but can juggle foes that are right above him.

J, vA - {Carnage Spear} - Ridley tries to land his foot claws on an opponent while his tail sticks straight down like a spear. (Hit opponents with the tip of the tail for a possible Meteor Smash KO)

Smash >A - {Dragon Batter} - Ridley lunges forward while spinning to strike hard with his tail

Smash vA - {Expose Panic} - Ridley slams his claws on the ground in front and his tail on the ground behind him while making an extremely intimidating pose

Smash ^A - {Billowing Flame} - Ridley exhales a quick blast of fire above him.

Z (Grab) - Ridley grabs his opponent with his claws

Z - {Maul} - Ridley snaps at his opponent with his jaws

Z, > - {Body Serve} - Ridley tosses his foe up a little, bends down, and smacks his opponent away with hsi tail

Z, v - {Violent Blaster} - Ridley pins his opponent down underneath his foot and blasts him with flames

Z, < - {Scrap Dispose} - Ridley wraps his tail around his foe and flings him away

Z, ^ - {Shoot Down} - Ridley throws his opponent high in the air and quickly exhales a fireball that explodes upon impact.

B - Plasma Balls - Ridley can exhale intense balls of super-heated energy.
- Hold B to gather flaming energy in Ridley's mouth
- Press B to release a fireball. It doesn't move fast, but it's pretty strong
- The longer you hold, the more fireballs will be exhaled. (Up to 5)
- Ridley doesn't exhale fireballs in a long stream, but creates a spreading wall of these balls of energy

>B - (Uhmmm..... )

vB - Full Tail Assault - Ridley uses his versatile tail to attack anywhere.
- Press vB to whip forward with Ridley's tail
- Keeping B held, move the control stick around to strike a opponents.
- This is like Shiek's Chainl, but it's stronger and knocks opponent's away instead of comboing them and keeping them close
- Whenever the tail does hit an opponent, it retracts back a little and can't be used for a second

^B - Carry Prey - Ridley will leap to the height of an average character while moving towards them, then land back down.
- If the opponent is near Ridley, he will capture them in his foot claws
- From here, Ridley can leap up to 3 times high in the air while carrying his opponent before automatically descending to the ground
- Pressing B immediately: Ridley will repeatedly claw-grope his opponent with his claws.
- Pressing B after 1 jump: Ridley will swing his tail around, slapping his foe 3 times, the 3rd hit knocking the enemy away
- Pressing B after 2 jumps: Ridley will drop back to the ground fast, slamming his opponent down.
- Pressing B after 3 jumps: Ridley pushes his opponent away a little, then exhales a damaging stream of fire that also pushes them away a good distance
- With each second and jump, it becomes harder to keep hold of an opponent. Using the claw-grope also makes it easier to escape.
- The opponent can rotate the joystick rapidly to escape faster.

- In case you didn't notice, Ridley's ^B doesn't get him that much aerial distance. This is because I think Ridley should have good vertical jumping abilities, but even better horizontal movment when he's in the air, so his recovery is similar to Donkey Kong in that moving horizontally is more important that vertically. Ridley should have a total of 4 jumps (excluding Up B) , but only his first jump should be high. His 2nd-4th jumps should be much shorter, similar to Jigglypuff's aerial jumps.

I also forgot to mention Ridley's evasion and teching maneuvers.

Floor Tech - Ridley catches himself on one hand while his wings are spread wide open (not necessarily a handstand though.)
Wall Tech - Ridley clings onto the wall with both hands and feet while looking away from the wall.
Ceiling Tech - Ridley's tail pushes against the ceiling in order to prevent his back from slamming into it.

Rolling Towards/Behind enemy - Ridley quickly glides in a speedy arch around any threats. He turns his body nearly 90º in the process, so this would look pretty cool. The distance of the roll would be pretty large...a little less than Mewtwo's distance.

Rolling away from enemy - Ridley pushes off his feet to get away, using a quick flapping of his wings to hover just a bit. The distance for this would also be a little less than Metwo's rolling distance.

Sidestep Dodge - Ridley crouches his upper body and draws back pretty close to the ground. His neck also retracts quite a bit. (This one's kind of hard to explain.)

Aerial Dodge - Ridley's arms, legs, and neck pull closer into his body as he does a barrel roll. This dodge would be your average dodge.

...Oh! I forgot some other moves still!

*Ledge recovery*

{Jumping up a ledge} - Ridley leaps up pretty high, and his arms and legs pull closer to his body. His neck though stays the same length while his jaws remain open and menacing. (I really like that menacing "Raptor-Like" disposition Ridley has.)

{Evading from the Ledge} - Ridley darts closely to the ground and crawls hastily on the ground in a very animal-like fashion.

{Ledge attack (less than 100% damage)} - Ridley darts forward and reaches out with his claws to scratch his opponent.

{Ledge attack (100% or more damage)} - Ridley struggles upwards while turning a bit to the side, and his tail darts out to hit his opponent.

Knocked onto back - Ridley rolls back onto his front, resting on his claws and feet, and quickly flows into a spin to strike surrounding enemies with his tail.

Knocked onto front - Ridley elevates his entire body off the ground with one hard beat of his wings, and snaps ahead with his jaws while his tail whacks anyone close behind him.

Ridley would be a bit like DK in his basic stats: fairly quick and powerful, but with pickup time after his attacks, making him vulnerable to counter-attacks (does this sound like a boss battle yet?). In addition to this, he wouild be hard to knock off the stage at anything less than 120%, due to his wieght, even with a well-charged smash attack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KMKZSP1K3R

A combo: quick claw, quick claw, tail staccato(multiple jabs with his tail)
DashA: ram/headbutt

Grabs by hand OR could be by tail, pressing A attack with bites
Thow^: tail launches opponent up
Throw>: uses wing(the part with the "tooth") to smash opponent forward
Throw<: tail launches opponent back
Throw\/: slams his tail on the opponent(similar to mewtwo)

tilts:
^A: overhead claw(similar to bowser)
>A: forward claw/tail slap
\/A: crouching claw/tail sweep

smashes:
^A: something like fox's and if ridely's feet dont get you(sweetspot), his tail will(less damage))
>A: Lunging claw swipe
\/A: Tail Sweep(both sides)

aerials:
Nair: spin kinda like zelda but in a Ridley demeanor
Uair: aerial flip with tail(like mewto)
Fair: forwrd tail whip
Dair: meteor smash by foot/tail
Bair: tail whip (like mewto)

Bs:
neutralB: breath(short energybeam? flame? ice? or just REALLY bad breath?)
^B: angled up spin(a la Demitri's "demon cradle" from Darkstalkers)
>B: headbutt(falco fantasm?) or uses his wing to deflec(Mario's cape?)
\/B: one or two revolutions with tail out(his tail is LONG!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All this creativeness makes me drool for the first Ridley combo video.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Can't have characters that could fly almost forever (except for both Hands), because that would be for cheaters.

I know Kirby flew longer than he did in the Smash Bros. titles, but that was based on his flying in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. I know that Ganondorf flew in Zelda: OOT, but he was probably imitating that screaming woman from the Mortal Kombat series. And I know that Samus could use the Space Jump ability to fly forever, but I believe that the Hands kept her from using it.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Oh right, yeah that'd be kinda ********, I mean without items what the hell can a character like bowser do against a flying character?

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
Inferno_blaze said:
Oh right, yeah that'd be kinda ********, I mean without items what the hell can a character like bowser do against a flying character?
Ridley HAS to get near a character to do any reasonable amount of damage while flying and is very easy to knock off. A well-timed attack from Bowser could finish Ridley good.

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
xianfeng said:
having Ridley as a clone of Bowser is like having Elmo as a clone of Link
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

xianfeng FOR THE FRIKKIN WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

*still laughing*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eaode

Smash Champion
*Elmo
-Lightweight
-Neutral B: Laugh: He would let out a long giggle, Smashing away anyone who touched him (but only if they have considerable damage) This would have a long afterlag and would be used sparingly.
-Forward B: Tickle: He'd run forward in a giddy sprint, heavily damaging everyone in his path. Anyone hit by this would be covered in red fluff for 2 seconds, greatly reducing their speed but making them ultra soft and huggable
-Down B: Self Destruct: Elmo would stall for a second and then explode into a firey cloud of fuzzy elevators and outdated "Ask Alice" advice columns. Anyone hit by the elevators would be healed of all damage and stunned for five seconds. Anyone hit by the advice columns would instantly be reduced to dust and ash, and be transported down to hell, meeting Tom Sawyer III and Drew Carrey.
-Up B: Volcanic joy: Elmo would shoot up, transported by a rainbow of happiness (or homosexualism, whichever you prefer) and anyone caught in the attack will turn into a snowboarding lemon, going down to hell to meet and greet at Drew's weekly cocktail party.
-Throw: Elmo hugs the opponent. You cannot go anywhere from here, there is no escaping Satan's Elmo's grasp.
-Taunt: Elmo screams "It's playtime, muthah****ers!!! Hahahaha!"
-When Kirby swallows elmo, Kirby dies.

See, elmo can be a comletely original character, no need for this "clone" talk.

EDIT: OMG I forgot the Tickle attack, thank you, McFox.

Ronike

Smash Ace
ROTFL man! that is hilarious. Especially the up+B and there is no escaping Satan's Elmo's grasp.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Ridley would make a good character. His size isn't really a factor (isn't Kirby supposed to be like 8 inches tall?), and he is the only viable villain from the under-represented Metroid series. If not him, then a Hunter, at least, needs to show up - but I'd rather have a new character than a slightly varied Samus clone.

Stryks

Smash Hero
He should be in brawl, one of the best bosses in metroid, tough hes gonna be really big, gonna be hard to troh him and stuff

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
Ridley is certainly a big boy for his age. I don't mind having him scaled, but... for me to be completely o.k. with it, he'd really have to at least be the size of Master Hand.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think mentioning Ridley's size should be a bannable offense.

When will you guys just free yourself from that silly argument? He DOESN'T have to be huge. In fact he's NOT huge. Check out the opening of Smash Bros. Melee.

I don't want him to be a boss, because I want to play as him. Giga Bowser was a boss, but that was fine because regular Bowser was playable. If he MUST be a boss, then make Meta Ridley be his boss-form and make Normal Ridley playable.

Yeesh.

Suska

Smash Apprentice
Meta Alex said:
>:p

Back oooon toooopiiiiiiiic please.

Right... so generally we have about 4 main movesets for Ridley so far, generally being catagorised into:

Walker/Flyer Ridley
Basic Ridley
Mewtwo-Based Ridley
No Flight Ridley

These being the main options, which one would you be most inclined to go with?
I like the Flyer/ Walker Ridley

DX_RULEZ

Banned via Administration
xianfeng said:
having Ridley as a clone of Bowser is like having Elmo as a clone of Link
lol, Isn't that the truth :laugh:

btw, Do I wan't him in?
Answer = You better believe it.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
But even if Elmo somehow made it into the game, I doubt parents would rush to buy the game due to the "T" rating. Keep in mind, its these same overprotective parents that force their kids to watch Sesame Street in the first place...

Now can we please stay on topic?

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
Although in theory he is a great character for Brawl, his appearance is a bit too 'real-time' for Brawl. With humans it is easy to make them look cartoony yet still plausable, with a teradactyl it is hard to keep the Nintendo feel to it without making him look like a goofball.

However, the addition of Ridley would still make sense because of his history.

Masta Shef

Smash Rookie
MDZ said:
Although in theory he is a great character for Brawl, his appearance is a bit too 'real-time' for Brawl. With humans it is easy to make them look cartoony yet still plausable, with a teradactyl it is hard to keep the Nintendo feel to it without making him look like a goofball.

However, the addition of Ridley would still make sense because of his history.
If u look in the Beggining of SSBM Ridley is the same size as BOWSER and is not cartoony, and look at Snake neither is he, he looks the same as if he was in Metal Gear Solid

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
You're right though, he'd fit in Brawl perfectly, just like he does in MP3, just like Samus does in SSBM, just like Ridley would in SSBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom