• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Ridley's wing span in Metroid Prime was huuuuge. Remember all the scenes of him flying around the planet and you'd be like "Aw snaps he's huge!"

But yeah, size doesn't matter. Kirby is 6 inches, Pikachu is 1'4", etc.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Yeah, he was pretty huge in Prime. But then, in Melee's intro, he looked fine.

That's what I don't understand about the "Ridley is too big" argument. Yes, he's large in some games, but we've already SEEN him at a reasonable size, IN Melee's intro. He looked great there.

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
Personally, I would love his Brawl attack to raise lava up on the stage to a level where only the uppermost areas are safe, where he could exploit his flying ability and use his speed to great advantage.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
What I like about the positive size issue regarding Ridley is that while he isa large character, he's actually quite skinny for his size, and his posture allows him to fight and move around easily while keeping his arms and legs close to his body. Heck, even his neck is much longer than it looks at times.

I'm busy trying to come up with a great moveset for him, and I was even drawing simple stick-figure sketches of him performing various attacks. The more I drew him in the idea position, the more likely it seemed he could not only make it as a character in SSBB, but even retain a good deal of his size. I picture him being taller than even Bowser and being able to stretch and retract his body with his long neck, arms, and tail when fighting. I like the idea of a fighting style where your body is a huge yet somewhat frail target, but your attacks and movements are designed especially for preventing people from capitalizing on that weakness.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anomilus said:
What I like about the positive size issue regarding Ridley is that while he isa large character, he's actually quite skinny for his size, and his posture allows him to fight and move around easily while keeping his arms and legs close to his body. Heck, even his neck is much longer than it looks at times.

I'm busy trying to come up with a great moveset for him, and I was even drawing simple stick-figure sketches of him performing various attacks. The more I drew him in the idea position, the more likely it seemed he could not only make it as a character in SSBB, but even retain a good deal of his size. I picture him being taller than even Bowser and being able to stretch and retract his body with his long neck, arms, and tail when fighting. I like the idea of a fighting style where your body is a huge yet somewhat frail target, but your attacks and movements are designed especially for preventing people from capitalizing on that weakness.
Heh, kinda like Faust/Dr. Baldhead in Guilty Gear. He's 9 feet tall, but he walks crouched down and bent over so he's closer to the size of the other characters.

magar

Banned via Administration
I thought samus already ****ed him up.
That's the thing for villans these days, All ways coming back for more.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
dotdotdot! said:
Heh, kinda like Faust/Dr. Baldhead in Guilty Gear. He's 9 feet tall, but he walks crouched down and bent over so he's closer to the size of the other characters.
My thoughts exactly! I haven't brought up that point because I usually try to avoid starting arguments that SSB should remain an original fighter.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I have to bump this again. I'm still seeing people posting the same ol' lame reasons for why Ridley shouldn''t be in this game. It's so irritating. I read a message somebody posted that did an excellent job saying why Ridley deserved to be a playable character, but that was on a different board.

Alandorf

Smash Journeyman
Ridley would be bomb in SSBB especially meta ridley. hes perfect for SSBB besides we need more Metroid characters

also anyone saying he will be a bowser clone is crazy. why would he be anything like bowser. bowser doesnt have wings, just because he's a villain he wont necesarily be like bowser. Ganon isnt like Bowser and neither is mewtwo.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
well, now that that after 9 pages people have finally realized his size isn't an issue..how about proving these noobs wrong w/ some great moveset ideas?

UpB could be him spirally upward then popping his wings out(as seen in metroid prime) racks up multiple hits then one strong hit.

B could simply be his firebreath. multiple fireballs scatter in random directions, if you feel like taking it old skool. Either way the properties of this could be vastly unique then from bowser's downward angle, slowly decreasing versions.

DownB-in the air he'll drop down on his tail and bounce slightly like the the oldskool metroids. on the ground he could have a special tail attack that boasts insane range but bad startup/lag.

ForwardB-Slash(or whatever u wanna call it) This however, i claim bowser stole from ridley :p
if done close enough he'll grab the oponent. instead of masing A for bites/hits, you mash B to pummel them w/ fireballs(the real way its doen <3)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Just one thought for now, for Ridley >B, instead of a Bowser slash, he could do his really quick dash attack from Prime.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Instead of assigning that dash move to one of the B moves, it should be Ridley's Dash A attack. It's a cool and strong move, but there isn't much else to it besides careening into the enemy.

I had started working on a Ridley moveset, and while it currently looks pretty good, I really want to get myself to think outside the box. When Nintendo created movesets for Fox and C.Falcon, they didn't really have any sources from their games. While Ridley does have some source, I think a lot more improvising needs to be done. For starters, I think his fire breath shouldn't be limited to B moves as well. He also needs something interesting besides his claws, tail, and flame breath.

Well, for what he does have, here are some ideas I have. (Okay...a little more than "some")

A,A,A - {Tearing Combo} - Ridley slashes to the right, then left, then extends his neck out and bites the enemy

>A - {Tail Strike} - A quick slap with his tail

vA - {Lawn Scissors} - Ridley extends his neck and snaps at his opponent's legs

^A - {Wall Rake} - Ridley swipes upwards with both claws, standing much taller in the process

Dash A - {Reckless Lunge} - Ridley lunges at the opponent at high speed, floating off the ground for a little bit

J, A - {Talon Gasher} - Ridley thrusts his foot claws forward to rip the enemy

J, >A - {Snake Whip} - Ridley's tail strikes semi-diagonally at the opponent

J, <A - {Beating Wings} - Ridley's wings extend and beat rapidly to slap up opponents behind him

J, ^A - {Windmill Tail} - Ridley spins his tail around rapidly. Can hit on all sides, but can juggle foes that are right above him.

J, vA - {Carnage Spear} - Ridley tries to land his foot claws on an opponent while his tail sticks straight down like a spear. (Hit opponents with the tip of the tail for a possible Meteor Smash KO)

Smash >A - {Dragon Batter} - Ridley lunges forward while spinning to strike hard with his tail

Smash vA - {Expose Panic} - Ridley slams his claws on the ground in front and his tail on the ground behind him while making an extremely intimidating pose

Smash ^A - {Billowing Flame} - Ridley exhales a quick blast of fire above him.

Z (Grab) - Ridley grabs his opponent with his claws

Z - {Maul} - Ridley snaps at his opponent with his jaws

Z, > - {Body Serve} - Ridley tosses his foe up a little, bends down, and smacks his opponent away with hsi tail

Z, v - {Violent Blaster} - Ridley pins his opponent down underneath his foot and blasts him with flames

Z, < - {Scrap Dispose} - Ridley wraps his tail around his foe and flings him away

Z, ^ - {Shoot Down} - Ridley throws his opponent high in the air and quickly exhales a fireball that explodes upon impact.

B - Plasma Balls - Ridley can exhale intense balls of super-heated energy.
- Hold B to gather flaming energy in Ridley's mouth
- Press B to release a fireball. It doesn't move fast, but it's pretty strong
- The longer you hold, the more fireballs will be exhaled. (Up to 5)
- Ridley doesn't exhale fireballs in a long stream, but creates a spreading wall of these balls of energy

>B - (Uhmmm..... :) )

vB - Full Tail Assault - Ridley uses his versatile tail to attack anywhere.
- Press vB to whip forward with Ridley's tail
- Keeping B held, move the control stick around to strike a opponents.
- This is like Shiek's Chainl, but it's stronger and knocks opponent's away instead of comboing them and keeping them close
- Whenever the tail does hit an opponent, it retracts back a little and can't be used for a second

^B - Carry Prey - Ridley will leap to the height of an average character while moving towards them, then land back down.
- If the opponent is near Ridley, he will capture them in his foot claws
- From here, Ridley can leap up to 3 times high in the air while carrying his opponent before automatically descending to the ground
- Pressing B immediately: Ridley will repeatedly claw-grope his opponent with his claws.
- Pressing B after 1 jump: Ridley will swing his tail around, slapping his foe 3 times, the 3rd hit knocking the enemy away
- Pressing B after 2 jumps: Ridley will drop back to the ground fast, slamming his opponent down.
- Pressing B after 3 jumps: Ridley pushes his opponent away a little, then exhales a damaging stream of fire that also pushes them away a good distance
- With each second and jump, it becomes harder to keep hold of an opponent. Using the claw-grope also makes it easier to escape.
- The opponent can rotate the joystick rapidly to escape faster.

- In case you didn't notice, Ridley's ^B doesn't get him that much aerial distance. This is because I think Ridley should have good vertical jumping abilities, but even better horizontal movment when he's in the air, so his recovery is similar to Donkey Kong in that moving horizontally is more important that vertically. Ridley should have a total of 4 jumps (excluding Up B) , but only his first jump should be high. His 2nd-4th jumps should be much shorter, similar to Jigglypuff's aerial jumps.

Okay! That would be my moveset, but this is for extending upon. I couldn't really think of any Forward B move, and I'll leave it up to another person to think of Ridley's Brawl attack. (Although, after looking at the Metroid Manga, one idea comes) So let's see what everyone else can come up with!

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
WOW. That's an amazing set, I desperately hope they add ridley into brawl because he's an awsome character and would fit in as a second metroid one, I thought he was in melee when i first saw the intro but sadly he wasn't hopefully he's in this time. Those moves were great, you described them so well taht I could imagine him in game doing them all.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
My stats for Ridley(I love doing these) Strength: 4 Speed: 3(Not sure if I should make this a 4, any1 think so?) Height: 5 Weight: 4 or 3 Overall: 4

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
My stats for Ridley(I love doing these) Strength: 4 Speed: 3(Not sure if I should make this a 4, any1 think so?) Height: 5 Weight: 4 or 3 Overall: 4
the hell're you talking about?
these stats mean nothing, nor do i think anyone cares.

they aren't the guiding factor of how a character will play in brawl, so why do you do them?
they're worthless.

oh, and uh...
ridley should definitley be in brawl. ;)

those who are basing his abscense in brawl due to his height, or weight, solely on the metroid prime games should probably play the original metroids.
in context to the size of samus, he was not much bigger.

he can be scaled down, or scaled up (if it were metroid), to fit into brawl.
pikachu is a little over one foot tall, and is practically the size of mario in smash.

and, this should go without saying, but kirby is 8in tall.
case rested!

Ronike

Smash Ace
Antioch said:
they aren't the guiding factor of how a character will play in brawl, so why do you do them?
they're worthless.
I actually find it somewhat interesting and plus he says he enjoys doing them that's why. They aren't worthless it gives you another persons opinion on a character without them writing out a movelist.

Marsh, are your stats out of 10 or 5?

The B+foward could be him giving a claw swipe and then some "nail" projectiles flying off (note: might look similar to Bowser claw, but its not)

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Thanks!

So...anybody have one more idea for a good B move? I left Tilt B blank. :p

I also forgot to mention Ridley's evasion and teching maneuvers.

Floor Tech - Ridley catches himself on one hand while his wings are spread wide open (not necessarily a handstand though.)
Wall Tech - Ridley clings onto the wall with both hands and feet while looking away from the wall.
Ceiling Tech - Ridley's tail pushes against the ceiling in order to prevent his back from slamming into it.

Rolling Towards/Behind enemy - Ridley quickly glides in a speedy arch around any threats. He turns his body nearly 90º in the process, so this would look pretty cool. The distance of the roll would be pretty large...a little less than Mewtwo's distance.

Rolling away from enemy - Ridley pushes off his feet to get away, using a quick flapping of his wings to hover just a bit. The distance for this would also be a little less than Metwo's rolling distance.

Sidestep Dodge - Ridley crouches his upper body and draws back pretty close to the ground. His neck also retracts quite a bit. (This one's kind of hard to explain.)

Aerial Dodge - Ridley's arms, legs, and neck pull closer into his body as he does a barrel roll. This dodge would be your average dodge.

...Oh! I forgot some other moves still! :dizzy:

*Ledge recovery*

{Jumping up a ledge} - Ridley leaps up pretty high, and his arms and legs pull closer to his body. His neck though stays the same length while his jaws remain open and menacing. (I really like that menacing "Raptor-Like" disposition Ridley has.)

{Evading from the Ledge} - Ridley darts closely to the ground and crawls hastily on the ground in a very animal-like fashion.

{Ledge attack (less than 100% damage)} - Ridley darts forward and reaches out with his claws to scratch his opponent.

{Ledge attack (100% or more damage)} - Ridley struggles upwards while turning a bit to the side, and his tail darts out to hit his opponent.

Knocked onto back - Ridley rolls back onto his front, resting on his claws and feet, and quickly flows into a spin to strike surrounding enemies with his tail.

Knocked onto front - Ridley elevates his entire body off the ground with one hard beat of his wings, and snaps ahead with his jaws while his tail whacks anyone close behind him.

There......... :dizzy: I'm starting to see what Mr. Sakurai means by having a lot of work to do with making characters...

Yeah...if this doesn't convince at least some naysayers that Ridley can work in this game...then ggez. :urg:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Antioch said:

they're worthless.
Well that was rude...

I say any input on how you think Ridley should work is fine. I mean, I typed these huge posts, but they really don't mean much unless the developers themselves agree with it. While the details in that post were lacking, its meaning is part of what makes a character.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Anomilus said:
So...anybody have one more idea for a good B move? I left Tilt B blank. :p
I believe that tilting back will just make the characters turn and do the normal B side, but if you want one Ridley could flap his wings to cause little to no damage but a strong wind backwards, slowing, stopping, or even pushing away characters. They are affected dependent on the characters weight

Anomilus said:
There......... :dizzy: I'm starting to see what Mr. Sakurai means by having a lot of work to do with making characters...
I know what you mean. If did the huge Zero movelist I proposed in the Megaman.exe and zero thread. It took me soooo long to come up with the moves and I still haven't done the rolls and everything yet. Good luck if you're adding more.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Ronike said:
I believe that tilting back will just make the characters turn and do the normal B side, but if you want one Ridley could flap his wings to cause little to no damage but a strong wind backwards, slowing, stopping, or even pushing away characters. They are affected dependent on the characters weight
I like that idea. I think at one point something like that came to mind, but now that you brought it up, I think it would greatly support Ridley. Being of very large size, but only medium weight, my thoughts were that Ridley required moves to keep enemies away so they couldn't easily capitalize on his size. Having a gusting move would support such an idea really well.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
He's more than likeley referring to stats provided (not sure if they were official or not) for eirther SSB64 or SSBM. For example, Mario - the all-rounder, was something like POWER: 3 SPEED: 3 HEIGHT: 2 WEIGHT: 3 OVERALL: 3, with 3 out of 5 being the median value.

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
I really like the multiple fireball move, although I'd suggest a variation:

Instead of firing them at once in a spread pattern, he fires them one at a time, extremely quickly after one another. The player can tilt his head to change the arc of the fireballs or concentrate on one area.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Mr.Starone said:
It appears Ridley has made Sakurai's playable list so score one for the pro-ridleyists.
You're talking about that Japanese "list"? Is that really a list of characters Sakurai is considering or is it just a list of some of the characters people in Japan have suggested? In either case, where can I find an update of that list?

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
*and much happiness was had by all*

Cross your fingers, boys (and gals, if you're here).

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Antioch said:

they're worthless.[End Qoute]

I'm just saying what I think would be their stats would be if they were added. I'm not going to stop doing these just because Antioch thinks they're worthless. I guess I need to ask Antioch permission for what I should post right? Mock character selection screens are worthless too, and so are mock movelists right? People do them for fun and if you don't like them, ignore them.

And yes, Ronike they are out of 5.

Ronike

Smash Ace
O.K thats what I thought. Otherwise Ridley would have had really low stats and I didn't thinkl you would put that in a pro-Ridley post. Thanks

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I just posted my moveset on the boards at GameFAQs to get the naysayers to stop putting Ridley down. I used some of the ideas you guys posted. (Specifically the gust move and controlling the fireball's trajectory.)

Yeah, I looked at topic where somebody was polling whether Ridley should be a playable character or a Boss. Most said a playable character, but the ratio was around 1:2.5, and that really sucks.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Ridley, as a playable character would really make my day, he'd be one of my main favourites and would even make up for the fact that sonic might be in it.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
if they add him, do you think it would be in the pruple colour style (as seen in the ssbm intro) or as the newer sort of grey, thinner type? maybe they'll even do metaridley!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If hes in there please no purple... Then I gotta explain my cousins that it isnt an overgrown Spyro the dragon... -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom