• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
If Bowser, Mewtwo, Mr. Game and Watch, Fox and Captain Falcon (just to name a few) ended up suiting the game, then I can see Ridley quickly becoming a very viable option, whatever gameplay incarnation he is. Personally, I like the idea that normal Ridley is playable, with Meta Ridley as a boss... perhaps on hard or very hard settings?

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
actually when you think about it...Ridley does kinda have a different "air" than the rest of the smash characters...

http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sm/smart_ridley01.jpg

ridley is always depicted as SERIOUS business and he also looks demonic in a way...none of the past smash characters had that much seriosuness, and they always had some sort of comic persona...however there's nothing comical about ridley...you mess with him...he'll eat you for breakfast...

so...maybe ridley IS perhaps too serious for smash...i still think he's be KILLER as aboss tho!

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
Ridley is pretty god**** evil looking, yes, but since when was Samus cute and cuddly like Kirby?

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
yeah i guess ur right...samus was alwasy serious business too.

i just thought up of a good moveset for Ridley should he be included in Brawl...but i dunno if you guys wanna hear about it...

too bad i'm posting it anyways! HAH HAH!

A combo: quick claw, quick claw, tail staccato(multiple jabs with his tail)
DashA: ram/headbutt

Grabs by hand OR could be by tail, pressing A attack with bites
Thow^: tail launches opponent up
Throw>: uses wing(the part with the "tooth") to smash opponent forward
Throw<: tail launches opponent back
Throw\/: slams his tail on the opponent(similar to mewtwo)

tilts:
^A: overhead claw(similar to bowser)
>A: forward claw/tail slap
\/A: crouching claw/tail sweep

smashes:
^A: something like fox's and if ridely's feet dont get you(sweetspot), his tail will(less damage))
>A: Lunging claw swipe
\/A: Tail Sweep(both sides)

aerials:
Nair: spin kinda like zelda but in a Ridley demeanor
Uair: aerial flip with tail(like mewto)
Fair: forwrd tail whip
Dair: meteor smash by foot/tail
Bair: tail whip (like mewto)

Bs:
neutralB: breath(short energybeam? flame? ice? or just REALLY bad breath?)
^B: angled up spin(a la Demitri's "demon cradle" from Darkstalkers)
>B: headbutt(falco fantasm?) or uses his wing to deflec(Mario's cape?)
\/B: one or two revolutions with tail out(his tail is LONG!)

you like...? eh eh?

the more and more i look at my moveset...the more and more it reminds me of mewto...and i know we're trying to avoid clones...

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
Pete278 said:
I'd like to cuddle Samus...
*BACKOFTHEHEADSMACK*

Mind out of the gutter and back to the topic at hand, please. :laugh:

On the topic of the above moveset, I'd like to see Ridley move towards a sort of mixed combat doctrine like Samus. By that, I mean he should be an adequate melee fighter, but his hardest hitters should be his ranged attacks.

Pete278

Smash Lord
Meta Alex said:
*BACKOFTHEHEADSMACK*

Mind out of the gutter and back to the topic at hand, please. :laugh:

On the topic of the above moveset, I'd like to see Ridley move towards a sort of mixed combat doctrine like Samus. By that, I mean he should be an adequate melee fighter, but his hardest hitters should be his ranged attacks.
I also think Samus is cute :p. But as you wish, back to the topic.

I actually like that move set. I'd probably make a few minor adjustments, but alls good.

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
A metal suit is not huggable. >: P

If we're going with the single-form Ridley, he should have a Kirby-style flight capability, with less possible jumps, but far bigger ones. This would make for an interesting target-test, too. >.>

Pete278

Smash Lord
Meta Alex said:
A metal suit is not huggable. >: P

If we're going with the single-form Ridley, he should have a Kirby-style flight capability, with less possible jumps, but far bigger ones. This would make for an interesting target-test, too. >.>
I obviously meant Samus without the suit. Preferably nothing at all..

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
>:p

Back oooon toooopiiiiiiiic please.

Right... so generally we have about 4 main movesets for Ridley so far, generally being catagorised into:

Walker/Flyer Ridley
Basic Ridley
Mewtwo-Based Ridley
No Flight Ridley

These being the main options, which one would you be most inclined to go with?

Pete278

Smash Lord
Meta Alex said:
>:p

Back oooon toooopiiiiiiiic please.

Right... so generally we have about 4 main movesets for Ridley so far, generally being catagorised into:

Walker/Flyer Ridley
Basic Ridley
Mewtwo-Based Ridley
No Flight Ridley

These being the main options, which one would you be most inclined to go with?
Heh, you're the one who brought it back up :p.

I'd go with Mewtwo-Based Ridley, assuming its better then Mewtwo.

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
Funnily enough, the Mewtwo based Ridley is the one I would least go for, as the slow speed and easy interception of the moves doesn't suit Ridley at all.
The basic or Walker/Flyer is more to my tastes as it has more room for a boss-like Ridley who's main concern is being caught off-guard after a powerful attack.

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
Milpitas (nor-cal) &amp; Riverside (so-cal)
well he wouldnt be as slow as mewto, ridely is a fast character, but also boweser/DK/ganondorf strong. it seems to me that if he were to be made and kept true to metroid, he'd be around their size, have flight, be super fast, and super powerful...would that be kinda...broken...?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Judging from Ridley's physique, he may be of considerable size, but he's extremely thin.
And from the games - there tends not to be so much "muscle" to his attacks, but his attacks are so quick and in such a rapid succession that he actually ends up as great a threat than the heavy-hitters.
So I see him as faster than the average charater, having a fairly long reach, an exellent jumper, but not with a whole lot of power, unlike other large characters like Bowser or D.K.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Meta Alex said:
Actually, I'd say the opposite. Every time you fight him in Metroid games, you're trying to stay far away, because all of his best attacks are up-close and personal. He has a harder time hurting you from far away.

Personally, I see him kind of walking on all fours, while stands for doing attacks. But for running, I think he's much better suited for running on all fours, instead of two legs. On two legs, Ridley trying to run would look kind of silly.

crazyhoward

Smash Cadet
McFox said:
Actually, I'd say the opposite. Every time you fight him in Metroid games, you're trying to stay far away, because all of his best attacks are up-close and personal. He has a harder time hurting you from far away.

Personally, I see him kind of walking on all fours, while stands for doing attacks. But for running, I think he's much better suited for running on all fours, instead of two legs. On two legs, Ridley trying to run would look kind of silly.
I don't know about him being strong. I'd like to see him faster more than stronger. And the running on all fours thing plays into that well. and it would look sweet

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I'd like to see speed over power too. But Meta was saying that Ridley's ranged attacks should be better than his melee attacks. That's what I was disagreeing with. Ridley's always been fast, that's definitely important.

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
oh yeah, i dont know why i size with strength...silly me. i figure he'd have as much range as say the swordsmen or DK(he has some crazy reach) cuz ridley has large wings and his tail is SUPER long. I also dont see ridley running...more like quickly horizontally gliding a few inches off the ground (kinda like mewtwo but FASTER excet he has wings so he's be flannin those suckers!)

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
kmkzSP1K3R said:
actually when you think about it...Ridley does kinda have a different "air" than the rest of the smash characters...

http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sm/smart_ridley01.jpg

ridley is always depicted as SERIOUS business and he also looks demonic in a way...none of the past smash characters had that much seriosuness, and they always had some sort of comic persona...however there's nothing comical about ridley...you mess with him...he'll eat you for breakfast...

so...maybe ridley IS perhaps too serious for smash...i still think he's be KILLER as aboss tho!
Ganondorf anyone?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
kmkzSP1K3R said:
I also dont see ridley running...more like quickly horizontally gliding a few inches off the ground (kinda like mewtwo but FASTER excet he has wings so he's be flannin those suckers!)
I don't think that would work. He have to be working hard to stay horizontal, he'd be moving up and down, I think it would look pretty silly. Having him sprint on all fours would look much cooler.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
I made a moveset for Ridley a while back.

Really it was more than a moveset, it was an artistic vision. I even added some innovative quirks like an Air-grab and moves whose hitboxes and qualities changed depending on whether he was air-borne or grounded. But put simply he was a cross between Captain Falcon and Samus.

Maybe I'll post it again if you all think you can handle it. I was also quite proud of the innovations I put into my Metaknight.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
The rising distance would be very subtle; you could think of it as sort of a long step walk.
When dashing it would look more like Mewtwo - leaning far forward and flapping furiously with no change in altitude.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Wouldnt he be too big? And don't say anything about Bowser because everyone knows Bowsers not as big as him. It's just hard to picture Ridley being a playable character. Maybe as a boss or something.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
primusfan said:
Wouldnt he be too big? And don't say anything about Bowser because everyone knows Bowsers not as big as him. It's just hard to picture Ridley being a playable character. Maybe as a boss or something.
This argument is getting REAL old...

Play Mario Sunshine. I doubt Ridely will EVER get as big as Bowser in that game.

Also, Ridley's size has different from game to game, just like Boswer.
It's just kind of a rule of thumb to make bosses super-sized.
Watch the intro to Melee. Ridley's not all that much bigger than Samus in that.

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
Indeed.

However, that's not to say he shouldn't be Bowser-sized, or indeed the biggest character in the game, as it was create an entirely unique character, due to his speed size and the conditions which you have to think about when dealing with such a combination.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ridley is too big
What's that?

Too big you say?

Oh Noez! This one is too small for Ridley.

Scale him down slightly from this side-by side with Samus. He'll be perfect size.

All Bosses fluctuate in size so wildly from game to game that it is well-within anyone's power to resize them to fit just about any situation. By your logic, King K. Rool is too big for SSB. DK is one of the large characters, and K. Rool is more than twice his size. Perfect size for Ridley would be between his "Just a little taller than Samus" first appearance, and his "Just big enough to be menacing" Super Metroid appearance.

Also, if Ridley is too big, why isn't Kirby too small? Officially, he's only about 8 inches to a foot tall. Why then, is he just half the size of a full-grown, 30-year-old Plumber?(Who is towered over by the rest of the characters in the game.) Size is no object, nor is it a deterrant. If Devs want Ridley, they shall have Ridley.

----

Gah! my Internet is so slow. If this message double posts, please delete the excesses.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Well the first time i'd ever even seen Ridley was in Melee. So i'm not really familiar with his size fluctuations.
Lord_Deathborne said:
This argument is getting REAL old...

Play Mario Sunshine. I doubt Ridely will EVER get as big as Bowser in that game.

Also, Ridley's size has different from game to game, just like Boswer.
It's just kind of a rule of thumb to make bosses super-sized.
Watch the intro to Melee. Ridley's not all that much bigger than Samus in that.
I've beaten Mario Sunshine and I'd completey forgotten how big he was until now.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
primusfan said:
Well the first time i'd ever even seen Ridley was in Melee. So i'm not really familiar with his size fluctuations.

I've beaten Mario Sunshine and I'd completey forgotten how big he was until now.
Sorry if I came off as mean. It's just the SIZE argument really dosen't work for SSB. Another popular argument not too long ago was that "Ridley can't be in SSB cuz he flies" Traditionally Kirby was used to counter that argument, but the inclusion of Metakight and Pit has made it so blatant, it finally came to rest.

EDIT: Yes, Revolution was much beter that Wii...

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
Is he really that big? In some Metroid games they portray him as massive whereas in Metroid Prime 1 for Game Cube, he was about the same size as Samus.

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
Ippius said:
Is he really that big? In some Metroid games they portray him as massive whereas in Metroid Prime 1 for Game Cube, he was about the same size as Samus.
in most metroid games he's about 2-3 times and big as samus, in metroid prime we have about the size of a medievil dragon(roughly 5+ times as big as samus) however in the Melee introduction he was portrayed as about 1.5-2.0 times as big as samus(which seems like a very necessary size for his possible appearance in Brawl).

again, the issue of size is not important, nintendo can also change character sizes to what they think is most suitable for a playable characters. But Ridley could have a possibly very awesome moveset which is what matters most.

(i want chile rellenos... :urg: hungry...)

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
The idea of Ridley is starting to grow on me. He could be a really good character given the devs design his move set correctly and with a balance with his weight and stuff like that...

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
kmkzSP1K3R said:
in most metroid games he's about 2-3 times and big as samus, in metroid prime we have about the size of a medievil dragon(roughly 5+ times as big as samus) however in the Melee introduction he was portrayed as about 1.5-2.0 times as big as samus(which seems like a very necessary size for his possible appearance in Brawl).
Was he really that much bigger than Samus in Prime? He didn't seem like it when you got up close and personal with him during the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom