• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revival of Wisconsin 11/13/10 Appleton/Kimberly, WI

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
It's been forever since WI had a Melee tourney, so I'm begin hosting tournies on a regular basis at a new venue I found. I'd like to see a huge turnout from those in Madison considering they have been hosting fests every week, lets use this as an incentive for our community to improve, and take advantage of tournies on a bi-monthyl basis.

Hilton Garden
720 Eisenhower Drive
Kimberly, WI 54136
(920) 730-1900

We are renting out their second biggest room, which will fit int he 30's, which will be perfect for the size of the scene.

There are all kinds of food places around the hotel. McDonalds, Burger King, Sonic, Subway, Culvers and plenty more.

HUGE REMINDER, they ask that we don't bring in our food into the venue, so you guys will have plenty of time to go get food and drinks during that time, but you can't bring any of it inside, you prob will be able to get drinks inside from a vending machine, but you can't bring any food from food places nearby

Fees

Melee Teams $20 a team
Melee Singles $10
Venue Fee $5

Melee + TV + Cube/Wii + memory Card. = No Venue Fee

Pot Splits.

1st- 60%
2nd. 25%
3rd. 10%
4th 5%

Tentative Schedule

10:00 AM Venue Opens.
10:30 Registration Starts
11:00 Teams Begin
2:00 Lunch Break
3:30 Singles Pools Begin
5:00 Singles Bracket Begins
8-9PM Room gets closed town, tourney is over

SSBM

General

Double Elimination
All matches are best of 3, except for winner's/loser's/grand finals, which are best of 5
4 stock, 8 minute limit
Ties broken by lives/percentage
Items off
Life stealing is allowed in doubles

Stages

Neutral stages for Singles:

* FD
* Yoshis
* Dreamland
* Battlefield
* Fountain of Dreams

Neutral stages for Doubles:

* FD
* Yoshis
* Dreamland
* Battlefield
* Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick stages for singles:

* All randoms
* Kongo Jungle
* Brinstar
* Rainbow Cruise
* Pokemon Stadium
* or any other stage that both players agree on.

Counterpick stages for doubles:

* All randoms
* Kongo Jungle
* Brinstar
* Rainbow Cruise

Other

Stage Striking will be in effect for the first match of the set. The player with the lower port will get to choose the first strike. Loser choses ban before next match.

One ban per player per set. To be chosen after loss.

Modified DSR: You cannot go back to the last stage you won in a set, unless agreed upon by the other player.

The player choice clause!:: If both players agree to a rule outside of my ruleset, feel free to play by that. If one player wants to counterpick Mute City and the other player is fine with that because they think it's a fair stage, then that is more than fine. However in the event the two players disagree, house rules stand.

Double blind for character selection may be used if a player wants to.

Other Rules & Special Issues

Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc),
except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are
banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be
disqualified from the tournament.

Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use
third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you
are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to
use that controller any longer.

Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are
allowed as methods of recovery or to manuever around the stage. Using
them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as
droping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned.
Judges will be on the tournament floor can be called in at any time to
enforce this rule during a match.

You are responsible to BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER.

Just a reminder, we cannot have any screwing around like the last tourney I hosted. The last time i hosted at a hotel, a few people went swimming in the pool, I let it happen because I didn't possibly think something go wrong, but it's amazing how bad things happen.

So this time, there will be no screwing around like that, I know some of you like to smoke weed at tournaments, if you're going to do it, do it AWAY from the venue. That means not outside the venue, but somewhere else, take your car somewhere if you have to. This hotel is owned by my boss, and if anything bad were to happen, I would get the blame.

Again, you can't bring in your own food or drinks, it's a hotel policy. But they do have a snack bar that you can get stuff in, and there are food places all around the venue that you can eat at during lunch. They have soda machines as well, so you can easily get soda at a decent price.

If anyone is causing a problem, I'll give you a warning, but if it happens again, I will ask you to leave. I lost a venue because of crap like that, and I'm going to be way more responsible this time around.

I'm really hoping that we get a very strong turn out from WI itself, if you guys are really serious about getting better in Madison, it's time to follow that up with going to a tourney. Hopefully we can get enough hype that Some IL or MN players will venture on over too.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
The prices are general tournament prices for almost all tournies, or at least I thought.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
$20 per team means $10 per person, $25 total

aka exactly what like, every tournament has charged for the past 4 years

i'll try to come

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
This is the same day as SWEET III in Michigan that OoSers were interested in...

Why does the Midwest insist on letting a month pass without a Melee tourney then scheduling two on the same weekend? >_> can you push this one back?

Oro?!

Smash Hero
There has been at least one tourney a month iirc... The SWEETs are pretty much what was best for you MI ppl, and iirc the tourneys that were the same days as SWEET1/2 were scheduled months prior. I agree this should be moved though, I kinda wanted to go to SWEET3, and it was up first.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I didn't see that Sweet 3 was in November, as I only saw the date for Sweet 2 in October. But I really can't push this back a week. There are a lot of people in WI who can't make the 20th, and this is generally targeted at WI players, and closeby states in Northern IL and MN. I honestly don't see any WI players travelling to Ann Harbor for Sweet 3,so you're really not going to lose anyof us either way.

I apologize, but theres no way I can push this back.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Hopefully. If Sveet/Loosh/anyone else wants to go and we have room, we could probably just swing by and pick you up. We will figure it out as this comes up closer.
i want to come to this. Barns we teaming?

sanchaz

Smash Lord
lololololololololololololollololololollololololololololololololololololololololol

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah juggleguy, its not really fair for you guys to pick a bunch of tourney dates based on football schedules and not have them posted in thread titles and expect everyone else to adhere to them, especially when both of yours have conflicted with tourneys posted way earlier than yours so far

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
i will try to go. that weekend is my girlfriends 21st birthday and our 6mo so we made plans but if she cant find someone to work for her i will go :)

top list = contacted and interested
bottom list = attempted contact, will try later

d33k
wes
bil
michael
ethan101
black hayate
yadam
earl

misrah
zack152
xtra
spybloom
mr black
locals x 6

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
yeah juggleguy, its not really fair for you guys to pick a bunch of tourney dates based on football schedules and not have them posted in thread titles and expect everyone else to adhere to them, especially when both of yours have conflicted with tourneys posted way earlier than yours so far
I actually had realized this before choosing 9/25 and 10/23, but we went with it not only because they were the only possible weekends, but because our first two events were meant to build the UM/MSU campus scenes and not so much to attract OoS players. No threat of drawing MI players away from IL or vice versa existed. You can't say the same about this 11/13 tourney though -- it effectively takes away IL players who had already expressed interest in attending SWEET III, and that's my main complaint.

Why don't we create a Midwest event schedule thread for next spring and summer so this doesn't happen? It's really disappointing to see each Melee community in the Midwest continue to be so isolated and uncollaborative. I know Michigan hasn't proven it yet, but we are willing to travel -- we canceled a tourney on 8/21 so that we could attend SCSYN3. I hope to avoid situations like that, or this one on 11/13, again but it starts with all Midwest TOs being on the same page.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
@Juggleguy, I recommend we get all IL/WI/MI and whoever else wants, TOs on AIM and organize a circuit then. At the moment, I feel like it is mainly IL traveling everywhere, even though it's pretty much established that Chicago is in the center of everyone. You could also see that as it is easier for IL to travel to any surrounding MW state, but for just a little more effort, if all surrounding states went to IL, we could have a national on our hands.

Chexr

Smash Ace
Its not like anyone other than a car with tink and kels comes out to WI/MN tournaments anyways.

MN should have one or two cars coming though

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
dude no travel arguing in here. WI and MN are the worst states in terms of amount of driving vs people who drive here. either come or dont, but dont say IL does all the traveling. LOL

xtra is confirmed. several new locals are interested. im bringin the WI hype. i like the early interest lets see the rest of mw step up :)

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
I plan on coming to this ****. =]

anyone want MM's?

i'm gonna ask sparrow if he can go/team with me, otherwise anyone looking for a partner?

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
oro thats not true at all haha

illinois players really dont travel much at all except for kels, i think you just mainly only know illinois players

i might go to this, might go to michigan, i dunno, but juggleguy you really cant expect people to come into a thread titled "10/23 tournament" just to check and see if theres gonna be another one later

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
i might go to this, might go to michigan, i dunno, but juggleguy you really cant expect people to come into a thread titled "10/23 tournament" just to check and see if theres gonna be another one later
I understand that, but then what are we supposed to do? I don't want to make a thread in Midwest Social entitled "nobody else host a tourney on 11/13" or send a PM to every Midwest TO explaining that "we have a tourney and OoS people want to attend so please don't host any events on 11/13"... the lack of a unified Midwest tourney schedule makes me think I should expect TOs to check with conflicting weekends, especially if there are only a small handful of Melee threads to visit and there's one that is clearly a tourney series due to the I, II, III notation on the thread title. If TOs can't spend 5 minutes checking this information then what does that say about the collectiveness of the Midwest and its ability to come together for tourneys?

Quaz

Smash Master
your tyourneys are monthly though. I'll be sure to come to one sometime Juggleguy. Hopefully in december.

If I come to this I'll most likely have to cancel Daisho con. Im reeaaally tempted to do that.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
I understand that, but then what are we supposed to do? I don't want to make a thread in Midwest Social entitled "nobody else host a tourney on 11/13" or send a PM to every Midwest TO explaining that "we have a tourney and OoS people want to attend so please don't host any events on 11/13"... the lack of a unified Midwest tourney schedule makes me think I should expect TOs to check with conflicting weekends, especially if there are only a small handful of Melee threads to visit and there's one that is clearly a tourney series due to the I, II, III notation on the thread title. If TOs can't spend 5 minutes checking this information then what does that say about the collectiveness of the Midwest and its ability to come together for tourneys?
has the midwest ever had the ability to come together for tourneys?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
has the midwest ever had the ability to come together for tourneys?
What kind of an attitude do you have to be asking that question? If everyone had this mindset, there'd be no Melee tourneys at all. You guys are trying to revive Melee in Wisconsin, which is commendable; we've been doing the exact same thing in Michigan for the past two months and we've worked hard to make it happen. Yeah, Midwest hasn't been good at gathering for tourneys... you can sit back and tell everyone what we already know or you can do something about it.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I'll show up and enter singles. Unless work schedules me over this, but lately i've been working 6AM-1:30, so I shouldn't have a problem making it in time for singles.

Top Bottom