• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse Turnip Throw

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Main section:
I was daydreaming about Peach stuff and got to thinking about something that I've never really seen employed. You can throw a turnip backwards from your run, and I want others' opinions on how useful this might be. I'll explain it in more detail below, but simply dash then shield then smash throw OoS behind you. I know you can smash throw a turnip in any direction from you dash dance, but this technique allows you to run farther and do it. This is useful when playing footsies with the opponent. Your opponent is trying to encroach on your space, you're both dashing, and you dash away into a run. He thinks your on the defensive and you hit him with a turnip and punish.
What do y'all think? I haven't had the chance to test this out and the situations are pretty specific and hard to simulate inorganically. What do y'all think about the usefulness of just dash away into smash throw backwards? Is there a reason why I never see Peach players do either of these things?

Deeper Explanation:

You can cancel your dash animation (and momentum) by shielding (you'll go straight into a shield). You can also go straight into shield when running, but you keep your momentum (which is kinda moot for Peach since her traction is so high). You can throw turnips OoS, too. From your shield, you can throw a turnip in any direction by smashing the control stick in a direction and pressing A. So you dash left into a run, shield, then smash throw right. This process also cancels any momentum you had from running so you will stop sliding in your shield.

Comments:
  • You could always jump cancel your turnip throws forward but that does a normal throw which is slow and doesn't go as far.
  • you can DJC into a smash throw backwards but the jumping adds extra frames.
  • You can use this technique to smash throw in the direction you're running, but you have to reset your control stick back to center which can be difficult.

arima

Smash Rookie
I think that crouch->cstick is a faster and easier way to do a standing smash throw in any direction out of a run. If you want to see Armada use this extensively for both forward and backward throws out of run watch his match on FD vs. PP's Marth at EVO 2014 (second game).

Though the method you describe is still useful for throwing turnips backwards out of shield. Fairly situational, but can be useful, especially when people aren't expected it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom