• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retire

Max?

Smash Champion
All the best to you Adam. It was a pleasure meeting and hanging out with you during Apex 2012. You were very humble, nice and fun to talk with. You're a smart guy and clearly very talented and dedicated to the things you are passionate about. You will go far in life.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
really glad i got that one friendly in at apex.

well, people say that 'no one quits smash'. so we shall see.

but all the best AR Adam. You brought the game to a next level. excited to see who steps it up to take your place

Theftz22

Smash Lord
This is so surprising. Just watching Armada at Apex I never would have guessed he felt this way. He still seemed to be in the game.

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
This is so sad. Don't know what to say. You were always so kind and respectful guy, I really wanted you to be the best for a longer time now... I understand your lack of motivation to compete. If you are going to still play casuals in tournaments, you do realize that people will try to challenge you and money match /serious match you? That is not much different than competing, so I wonder if you are really able to stop competing Smash unless you quit going to tournaments. But maybe you will do that as well, some time in the future. Like soft dropping yourself from the community, since it would be maybe even impossible to just leave, though Ken did it.

pewpewyou

Smash Journeyman
He'll come back. They always do.

Anyone that announces their retirement is doomed to fail

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
You will always be the best player to me. I don't even main Peach and I have no plans to yet much of what I've learned about the game has come from watching you play.

This was the hero Smash deserved and I'm glad we got one.

I can't hold all these feels :(

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Hbox must be really upset. He'll always be thinking about that one shy guy...:troll:

TBH if I was ever best in the world, I don't think I'd be able to quit just because of the money. The thought of being able to make money by playing smash is too good.

Is this the beginning of something? Or has it always been like this? At the peak in the past, Ken ended up stopping around his peak? Now we see armada (arguably similar to Ken, but of our era) is stopping at his peak as well.

Do lots of other sports or fighter players near the top of most competition end up stopping suddenly?

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
armada you've always been my favorite player. your set with mango at genesis 1 was what got me into competitive smash

really glad i got the chance to cheer you on last weekend at apex, thanks for providing us with some amazing melee and best of luck with any future endeavors man

Scar

#HarveyDent
Good **** Armada, you had an impressive run. I think the general feeling is that we're a bit disappointed to see you go for 2 reasons - the competitive landscape (more sets vs PP's marth, and some vs M2K and Mango), and the international majors remaining in early/mid 2013 (BEAST, Genesis 3, and potentially EVO).

But, if you don't feel the drive to commit to the game, then that's that. gl hf with everything else in life :)

BladeWise

Smash Lord
Hopefully PP can talk him out of it or something, since I'm sure PP wants his revenge. Armada leaving would really hurt the competitive scene. Furthermore, striving to be the best Peach would mean little for me at that point.

:phone:

Zhea

Smash Ace
Wow everyone, he didn't say he was leaving smash, just wasn't entering tourneys anymore. We'll see yo again I'm sure. Also with college and (I think this is Sweden) mandatory military service, it's good time to chill on it. Also he's been in the scene longer than most(2005 I think). Well best of luck man, see you down the road.

strawhats

Smash Master
Man...this has to be a horrible nightmare or something. Adam aka Armada, you're peach has been a marvel to behold. I loved the few friendlies that we got to play back at Pound V a few years ago. I wish you God Speed and all the best with all of your future endeavors man.

your Genesis sets vs Mango, sets vs M2K and PP are my all time favorites...not to mention all of your old European sets vs Amsah

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I... I don't know what to say. I'm almost moved to tears. I need to think a bit more before I can write anything worthwhile on the subject, but I will say this: the tournament set I got with you at APEX 2013 was perhaps the most fun I've ever had playing this game, and probably ever will. I've played almost every top player but I've never felt that feeling of complete and utter inferiority at every aspect of the game in the same way as when I played you. Thank you, and good luck in life. You know as well as we do that you'll be missed dearly, and Melee won't be the same without you, but hopefully your life will be better without competing in it.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
Wow everyone, he didn't say he was leaving smash, just wasn't entering tourneys anymore. We'll see yo again I'm sure. Also with college and (I think this is Sweden) mandatory military service, it's good time to chill on it. Also he's been in the scene longer than most(2005 I think). Well best of luck man, see you down the road.

There's no longer any mandatory military service in Sweden.

Looking forward to seeing you at future Swedish tournaments, Armada. I'm still proud that my old GameCube is retiring as the world champion.

AR-MA-DA.

/Isa

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Holy sh- Armada. Only met you a couple of times when I was still an active player (RoX4, ESA2 and a couple of months ago at HK in the Hague). Never really talked though so I doubt you remember me at all maybe Coen Verhoeven on Facebook means anything to you?) I've always been an admirer of your playing style though and it saddens me to hear you're done the game. But I guess that means I won't get 4-stocked by anyone anytime soon.

I'm thinking of going to BEAST so see you there

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
He'll come back. They always do.

Anyone that announces their retirement is doomed to fail
No one actually retires from Melee. They just get to a point in their lives where playing it becomes physically impossible for one reason or another.

See you at EVO 2013, Armada. We all know you'll be there.

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
Damn. Another reason I regret not being able to go to Apex this year :c. I knew I should have gone. Best of luck to you in the future Armada.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
:(

We played some doubles and singles friendlies last year at Apex 2012, and they really showed me that I have a long way to go as a player. You're an inspiration, and it was a lot of fun playing and talking to you.

You should at least come to Evo if Melee makes it in. I'd throw in $500 of my own money to help if that means anything. Seeing you on the big stage at Evo would do so much good for our community. You are a champion in every sense of the word and a perfect of example of what qualities a champion should have. You deserve to be there. It just won't be as amazing without you.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace

i think mandatory military service doesn't exist in sweden anymore

edit: oops someone already said that above.

Engo

Smash Ace
I think Armada's legacy will be as important if not possibly more important then Ken's. The influence he had on the community is pretty huge.

-Innovation with the character
-Being the first dangerous threat to North American(mainly American) dominance
-Making North America aware of talent outside of its borders
-He strengthened the connections between the world's different smash communities. Everyone seems to be watching everyone's tournaments now a days.
-And last but not least his undefeated status from Genesis 2 until today.

Top Bottom