• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Requesting Feedback - A Potential Alternate Rule Set

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Please read through as much as possible. I realize that this is a wall of text, but the problems that I've outlined are legitimate and, even if you don't agree with the solution, your input is desired. The direction of competitive melee is, and always has been, in the community's control.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matches are too long.

Simply put, 4 stock matches are too long. I'm not sure why we never really reevaluated using 4 stock, but it really just seems that we use it because we have always used it. There are a ton of problems that are the result of using 4 stock, but these are the ones that I have chosen to address.

1) They further separate viable and non-viable characters.
2) They provide accident forgiveness for the stronger player.
3) They increase the importance of individual matches.
4) Individual matches take too long. (2-8 minutes)
5) Reduces combeback potential.
6) Reduces accessibility from other FGC players.

I was going to break these out, but they are all linked to one another.

Individual matches take too long. Due to this, we have low match counts in our sets. Due to the low match counts, the individual match outcomes are inflated.

This stems from an effort to ensure that the more skilled player (in that moment, on that stage, in that matchup) wins the match. The result of this is that we want each of the individual matches to be primarily influenced by player vs player skill, with as little stage influence as possible. This has caused the trend of the competitive scene slowly removing stages from the stage list, down to what we have currently. While it may initially make sense that we only want the better player to win the match, what we actually want is just for the better player to win the set.

An effect of the amount of time and number of stock in a match combined with the reduced stage list is that we have an increased separation between viable and non-viable characters. This separation is caused by a lack of variables for non-viables to work with, as, due to the prior statements, we have removed stages that do not look and feel roughly similar to what we have deemed competitive, which, as stated before, has been sculpted by needs formed due to prior ruleset evolutions. The current non-viable characters are not viable because they simply do not have as many options vs viable characters. This causes them to have relatively two dimensional play, and often suffer at the whim of equally two dimensional responses from viable characters (Fox's Bair and Sheik's Dthrow come to mind).
To further expand on this idea in a way that many of you will hopefully understand: non-viables are essentially Burst, while viables are essentially Sustained DPS. Non-viables rely on being able to use very small windows of opportunity to do their damage, while viables are given the tools to control and damage their opponent throughout the match. The issue here is that most of the viable characters have the ability to play as Burst as well, further removing non-viables from use.

Another effect is that the length of matches basically acts as accident forgiveness... for the better player. Given two players, one slightly better than the other, a mistake, lets say an SD by the better of the two, at 4 stock each is often not a big deal. The lesser player will often slack off slightly, the better player will turn it up slightly, and the match will be restored to even relatively quickly. Such is the nature of the game. On the other hand, an SD by the lesser of the two, will often seal his fate. The better player would have to slack off significantly, or the lesser player would have to make a huge play, just to make up a small amount of ground. There is no legitimate reason for us to be so forgiving of mistakes.
Similar to this idea, comeback potential in a 4 stock game is much lower between two equally skilled players. Once a player takes a two stock (4-2, 3-1)lead, although comebacks do happen and tend to be impressive as hell when they do, more often that not it just makes the losing player feel defeated, and then magnifies that feeling while they struggle for the rest of the match. All of this leads to a boring finish while the advantaged player wins through attrition.

All of this summed up leads to a great divide between our competitive community and that of other FGC's. The game already feels foreign due to the difference in control, the visual appearance, and method of death (stock counters). Then we throw in a system of competitive measure that can't really be compared to by players familiar with other fighting games.

The Proposal:

After considering these factors, the proposed solution is for us to:

- Reduce the significance of individual match win importance.
- Reduce accident forgiveness.
- Increase comeback potential in a genuine manner rather than artificial. (x-factor >.>)
- Maintain consistency in set win outcome
- Increase the potential variety of skills, characters, strategies, and stages used in tournament settings.
- Make the game fast paced and fun again.

The Method:

I'll keep it simple for now:

Stock: Two
Timer: 3 Minutes
Recommended Tournament Set: Best of 7 at lowest level (up from Best of 3)
Stage List: TBD, but currently just the neutrals until we playtest. (But honestly, my stage list is every stage on except Big Blue and Brinstar Depths. Yes. I'm serious.)
# Bans per playeR: TBD
Items: You Wish (Still Off)

Individual match importance goes down when you increase the number of matches in a set. The impact of a single counterpick stage, as such, also goes down. This is the first step in helping us move away from the idea of "I only lost the set because (insert counterpick) is stupid/unfair/etc," and more towards "That counterpick/character/strategy was really good! Now its my turn, lets go to (insert counterpick/character/strategy combo)!". Players will be encouraged to have a series of strategies, even two dimensional ones, rather than the current system where players would have one strong counterpick stage that they could use as a crutch. The consistency of set outcome is maintained, as the better player can be expected to win more consistently. Long term averages (expected results) will remain the same despite short term deviation.

This also reduces accident forgiveness and increases comeback potential by increasing the importance of individual stock. This has the potential to act as a steroid on the general level of play, as SD's and mistakes in general will have a far greater impact on the outcome of the individual match than they did before, while still giving room for a 2-1 deficit to be overcome. Players will have to know what characters are good on what stages, and might need to expand their arsenal of strategies/stages/characters.

The pacing between matches will be very similar to current fighting games. It keeps the game exciting, as we see shifts in strategy much more rapidly, as well as changes in stage and character. We aren't stuck watching two dimensional play in a war of attrition.

Anyway, this is the current concept. For now, I'd like opinions on the whole thing, as well as feedback and ideas from anyone who is willing to play test. Hell, if you think I'm flat out wrong, feel free to call me out. Go wild guys.

2/8/2012 Edit:

The Two Stock Rule Set (Playtest Phase)
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles and Teams)

Singles Stage List
Neutrals (5):

Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams
Final Destination

Counterpick (19):

Brinstar
Corneria
Green Greens
Icicle Mountain
Jungle Japes
Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom
Mute City
Onett
Princess Peach's Castle
Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise
Venom
Yoshi's Island
Flat Zone
Fourside
Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom II
Poke Floats

Rejectable (5):
Great Bay
Temple
Big Blue
Brinstar Depths
Yoshi's Island

Doubles Stage List

Neutrals (5):

Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick (17):

Brinstar
Corneria
Green Greens
Icicle Mountain
Jungle Japes
Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom
Onett
Princess Peach's Castle
Rainbow Cruise
Venom
Yoshi's Island
Flat Zone
Fourside
Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom II
Poke Floats

Rejectable (5):
Great Bay
Temple
Big Blue
Brinstar Depths
Yoshi's Island

Banned(2):
Fountain of Dreams
Mute City

General Rules

Items are set to off.
Stock is set to 2.
Time is set to 3 minutes.
Each player has 4 stage bans.
Double Blind: If elected.
Contest Port Priority: If elected.
Neutral Start: If elected.
Standard DSR
Gentleman's Clause
Forced Character Selection: Off
Matches that time out will have the winner determined by remaining number of stock, then by remaining percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played unless a Gentleman's Agreement is made.

Additional Rules for Teams Play

Team Attack is on.
Life Stealing is allowed.
If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a stock, the opposing team may deem that stock forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.

How to Play a Set

1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind.
2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage.
3. The players play the first match of the set.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans stages (if applicable). Rejectable stages do not require bans. (I suggest opening the stage on/off screen and turning them all on, then turning off bans.)
5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. The winner may reject the selected stage if it is in the Rejectable List.
6. The winning player of the previous match may choose to change characters.
7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
9. The next match is played.
10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Kal

Smash Champion
Very much in favor of testing this ruleset out. I however want items on because it would be weird to be in complete agreement with you on a ruleset.

I can see why Brinstar Depths should be banned, but why do you feel Big Blue should be banned? I think that, with the drastic difference in gameplay we might see as a result of playing with two stock, it would be best to simply avoid banning anything at first.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty brilliant. I've thought about a best of seven/all stage legal sort of rule set before but I never before considered how damaging a four stock limit can be to the competitive scene. Well done.

Beat!

Smash Master
Very, very interesting. I like the idea more than I thought I would.

And with that, I'm out. Good night everybody.

just super saiyan

NNID
dansalvato
My number one personal gripe with the current ruleset is the limited stages to play on. Besides that, I really like the points you make and would be willing to explore with new rulesets. I think I would prefer 3 stock instead of 2, simply because I have seen plenty of multi-stock comebacks (Javi vs. PP), but I'd have to experiment with both.

Overall, I think it would work out quite nicely, and maintaining the counterpick/stage ban system would keep things very balanced. I await somebody who can provide a different perspective and make some very good counterpoints.

Kal

Smash Champion
I think the entire point of having two stocks over three is to increase the likelihood of comebacks. While a multistock comeback is possible in a four stock match, this is usually only the case when there is a sufficient gap in skill between both players. While not universally true, the point Cactus wants to emphasize, I think, is that you can't **** around at first against a random low level player and expect to win when there are only two stocks available.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
i'm all for trying new stuff, but my reaction upon reading points two and five was. . .so? greater margin for error is a deserved benefit of being the better player, no?

edit: i like the other points though. 2 and 5 are fine as byproducts of this ruleset , but i wouldn't endorse them as reasons to implement it

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
omg Cactuar
omg
omg

I never put it as concisely as you just did
But I've been floating around similar theories this entire time
Much lower (but impactful) timer, less influence from counterpicks, a bigger stage list
Its like everything I want

Please do this.

Kal

Smash Champion
It's already been decided. Everyone in the world is going to use this ruleset. Even Brawl. I hear Street Fighter 4 is even considering an implementation.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think Big Blue is viable in Street Fighter 4 tho. Movement options aren't as robust in that game imo imo

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Leave it to Cactuar to make an alt. ruleset that I can actually agree with, although I'd rather test out 3 stock, 5 minutes first. 50 second Fox dittoes, anyone?

I think we really need to analyze the current reasoning for long matches (Being that camping is discouraged).
I feel as though the people who want to camp will still camp regardless of the time, because we're reaching a point where long term technical consistency isn't a problem anymore.

AND HOLY **** IF THIS COMES TO BE LEGAL AND I CAN PLAY ON ONETT I WILL KISS YOU YOU BIG BEAUTIFUL MAN.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
.........?

Uh...seriously?

Well...my gripe stands with the stocks. Maybe I'll elaborate more. In any case, you need multiple rulesets to see what works, right? Go for it.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to try this out and I think it would work better than what we have now.

4:00 timer though.

:phone:

Kal

Smash Champion
Why? You just don't like the idea of playing with two stock?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I feel a 2 stock match would be too drastic. I can see 3 stocks working but I feel like with two stocks you'll just end up in a hard situation where you would still have a chance if it had been 4 stocks in the match and you'll simply be relying on your counterpick in the next match to make all the difference. It doesn't exactly lessen the impact of the counterpick when your simply handing out more chances to counter pick and less of a chance to adapt to that pick within the match.

Basically I feel like it actually adds importance to your counter pick and just takes away from the individual match when really it's almost the same amount of stocks just split up over multiple chances to change your playstyle. Why adapt when you can change your character or stage?

3 stocks, best out of 5, 5:00 timer seems like the best option IMO because I can see where your coming from.
The more that I read this, the more it sounds like a troll ruleset....
If it were I just lost the game.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I love the idea behind this ruleset.

I think the biggest hurdle to go over is the idea of a 2 stock match. I'm on the fence on that one, I kinda wanna try a ruleset with 3 stocks instead but I'm for testing either out.

I also think we should probably put a little more emphasis on the stage list. Playing on icicle mountain would be horrible imo, though an increase in stages is a really interesting.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You want to watch out for the assumption that other FG communities have it right and that you should base your ruleset around theirs. Melee is not street fighter.

Also I hate literally everything about this ruleset. EW fewer stages EW fewer stocks EW EW EW

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Why? You just don't like the idea of playing with two stock?
A lot of the reasoning sounds silly. Not necessarily wrong, but silly. The ideas themselves seem really drastic, too. 2 stocks, 3 minutes? I mean, don't let me ruin it, if it's just a troll ruleset. Have your fun. But the fact that it probably isn't bothers me...

I don't feel like going into detail right now, so perhaps tomorrow or something.

I DO like the idea of having Mute City. That, I WILL endorse.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
2 stocks is a big mental hurdle, but note that you still take 8 stocks to win a set assuming best of 7. doesn't make it identical, but it's not as crazy as it sounds at first glance. i have more beef with the timer, though i'd rather do 3 stocks

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Why adapt when you can change your character or stage?
As a Falcon main, I see no problem with my opponent not adapting.

I'm kind of in limbo over the 2-stock issue. On one hand, at a lower level it's very hard to carry your reads through matches. Having two stocks doesn't leave a lot of time to figure your opponent out.

At higher levels, it seems like players are constantly adapting anyway, so 2-stocks doesn't really change the issue of reading.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Hmm... this buffs people with suicide kills A LOT (falco, marth, jiggs-with rest, kirby lol, etc.)...

and it makes it almost necessary to pick up a secondary with slow characters, since it will be really easy to time them out, especially with more legal stages (hyrule...)...

but neither of those things are necessarily bad imo... i wouldn't mind trying this out

Kal

Smash Champion
A lot of the reasoning sounds silly. Not necessarily wrong, but silly. The ideas themselves seem really drastic, too. 2 stocks, 3 minutes? I mean, don't let me ruin it, if it's just a troll ruleset. Have your fun. But the fact that it probably isn't bothers me...

I don't feel like going into detail right now, so perhaps tomorrow or something.

I DO like the idea of having Mute City. That, I WILL endorse.
I'm all for legalizing the stages in the MBR ruleset, as everyone who payed attention (read: gave a passing glance) to the tentative ruleset is likely aware. The stages have nothing to do with my acceptance of this ruleset because I think stages form a separate issue (i.e., it's possible, though doubtful, that there will be legal stages on the original ruleset which should be banned here, and vice-versa).

Three minutes is the natural time to choose for two stock, given our convention of subtracting one from the number of total stock available and setting that as the match duration.

Anyway, I am looking forward to see you go into detail on what exactly bothers you about this ruleset.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I'd much rather a 3 stock, 6 minute rule set rather than a 2 stock 3 minute timer. Although games maybe too long now you're jumping to an extreme at the other side of the spectrum.

I agree that we should shorten sets but what you recommend is too much. It'd be like playing Street Fighter 4 with only 50% health. We don't want once single mistake to determine a match, we don't want this to become like MVC.

Edit: Also this basically eliminates the ability to adapt to your opponent. Something which I think is important for our tourney scene.

Kal

Smash Champion
Let's stop bashing MvC, huh? And I sincerely doubt that adaptation would be removed altogether. What Citizen Snips said I think is largely true, that adaptation is a very short-term thing at high level play. And, even if the statement is false, adaptation will still occur between matches, as far as adjusting strategies, and will arguably increase via the larger number of stages available.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Edit: Also this basically eliminates the ability to adapt to your opponent. Something which I think is important for our tourney scene.
This would be true if the sets were still bo3 but the sets are of bo7 in the proposed rule set so I think that helps compensate for the ability to adapt.

Actually, it probably helps more since you're allowed to pause more frequently and think for like 30-60 seconds in between sets.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I love the idea behind this ruleset.

I think the biggest hurdle to go over is the idea of a 2 stock match. I'm on the fence on that one, I kinda wanna try a ruleset with 3 stocks instead but I'm for testing either out.

I also think we should probably put a little more emphasis on the stage list. Playing on icicle mountain would be horrible imo, though an increase in stages is a really interesting.
Yeah, I think the stagelist would have to be reexamined, as Cactuar said. This ruleset allows us a lot of flexibility in what we determine legal. I'd assume that stages like Icicle Mountain and Yoshi's Island would be among the first to go but the fact that

Jungle Japes
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Mushroom Kingdom II
Mute City
Onett
Corneria
Kongo Jungle 64
Pokefloats
etc

will be legal without any GOOD argument against their legitimacy, is a great, great thing imo.

leffen

Smash Champion
Its kinda sad that 80% of the people who make bracket at nationals don't post on smashboards lol.

Oh, and 3 minutes is too little
Having 1½ minute for each stocks... floaties vs floaties would rarely finish.

I really like having 2 stocks, but I don't like the thought of having MK2 type stages on either but I'm fine with having RR, KJ, Brinstar, Corneira, Pokefloats, JJ on

Top Bottom