• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regirock rocks the battlefield! The official Regirock support thread.

Derposaur

Smash Rookie
NNID
RobotHmsta

It's the creature with a letter for an eye.

It would rock the Smash Community.

It's your favorite Pokemon, Regirock.

Who's Regirock?

Regirock, the "Rock Peak Pokemon", is a Rock type Pokemon introduced in the 2003 titles Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. It resides in the Desert Ruins (or Rock Peak Ruins, depending on the game), and is a Legendary Pokemon, meaning he can only be encountered once, and he is stronger (and cooler) than the ordinary Pokemon. Since his first appearance, he has appeared in 12 more games, excluding fan-made games.

Why Should Regirock be in Smash?

Regirock is a very recognized character in the Pokemon Universe, it even received a secondary role in a movie. It's character has a well set out background and history, and Sakurai would have a lot of material to draw from if they were to add Regirock to Smash Bros. He'd also be the only Rock type Pokemon in the Smash Bros games, and considering Rock type is one of the most iconic types of Pokemon (The first gym leader of the first game was rock type), I think it would be a nice touch to have Regirock in Smash.

We are also currently lacking a representative from the third gen of Pokemon games in Smash Bros., and Regirock, with his defined personality and wide moveset potential, would work great as the third gen rep.

And since pallet swaps exist, I think it would be a nice touch if Regirock could have his shiny form as an alternate skin. (We all know we want a shiny as an alternate skin)

Arguments against Regirock

We already have too many Pokemon reps!
To me, it's not about where the character is from, it's about how much fun it is to play character, and how original and unique the character is. Regirock has amazing potential for a unique, fun, balanced moveset, and that's what counts.

Now I'm sure many of you are not satisfied with my above answer, so lets talk about the current Pokemon roster. As we stand right now, Pokemon has 6 representatives. 6 isn't an awfully large number. Heck, Fire Emblem has 5, and the franchise itself is far smaller than Pokemon (not saying I don't want Chrom). I'm sure that 7 Pokemon reps wouldn't be that far of a stretch, especially for a character as awesome and interesting as Regirock.

Why Regirock over the other Regis?
Well, Registeel is already a stage hazard in the Kalos Pokemon League stage in Super Smash Brothers for Wii U, so it has no chance at the roster. While Regice and Regirock both have potential, I feel that Regirock would be more unique. I tried making a Regice moveset MULTIPLE times, and every time, it lacked originality and fun. Regirock is the best fit for the bill, which is why I chose it over the other Regis.

There are other third gen Pokemon that deserve a spot more the Regirock!
The only other third gen Pokemon I've seen support threads for are Gardevior and Sceptile, I'll address these both separately.

Gardevior is already a Pokeball Pokemon, so we would have to wait until Smash 5 before there is even a chance of Gardevior making it into the Smash Roster. We also already have a Psychic type Pokemon and a Fariy Type Pokemon in the roster (Mewtwo and Jigglypuff), and I feel like Gardevior would be slightly repetetive of these fighters. If we are to have another Psychic type pokemon, I'd rather see Deoxys. It's got more potential, and better moveset potential, but that's for another thread.

As for Sceptile, it's a character with a lot of potential, I won't lie. However, Regirock has unseen potential, that could surprise you just like Regirock surprised Ash in the 8th Pokemon movie. I personally wouldn't mind if Sceptile was in smash, but I think Regirock would be a better and more original character.

Regirock is too big!
Actually, it isn't. According to the Pokedex, he is 5'7", or 1.7 metres. That is the exact same height as Charizard, which you all know is currently in the Smash Roster. As a result, he would be the same size as Charizard. This would also mean he would be a heavyweight, which is a good thing, because we NEED more heavyweights in the roster.

Movesets
I've talked about it this whole thread, the potential Regirock has for MOVESETS.

Being a Rock type Pokemon, Sakurai would have alot of material to draw from if he wanted to have Regirock in Smash. I've come up with a moveset of my own, with every move being based off of a Pokemon move! I encourage you to take a look!
A-Combo:
Rock Wrecker 2 repetitive punches (Like villagers A)

Dash Attack:
Rock Smash A powerful punch strong enough to crush a rock. Very short range.

Side Tilt:
Rock Blast A quick, sideways punch powered by a small explosion.

Up Tilt:
Head Smash Ram your head upwards.

Down Tilt:
Earth Power Pull pebbles out of the ground beside you that pierce opponents. (A double sided version of Villagers Down Tilt)

Side Smash:
Fissure Create a crack in the Earth. Anyone who steps in it will enter pitfall state.

Up Smash:
Sandstorm Create a little sandstorm above you. (A weaker version of Mewtwos Up Smash)

Down Smash:
Earthquake Slam your hands into the ground, creating shockwaves that damage opponents (A FAR weaker version of Donkey Kongs Down Special)

Standard Aerial:
Spikes Spin rapidly, shooting spiky stones from your body. (Like King Dedede's Standard Aerial)

Forward Aerial:
Sand Attack Throw some sand a short distance in front of you. (A weaker version of Villagers Slingshot)

Back Aerial:
Rock Slide Have a rock fall off your body, flying straight downwards. (Like Villagers Bowling Ball)

Up Aerial:
Bullet Punch A rapid barrage of upwards punches. (Like R.O.B.'s Up Aerial)

Down Aerial:
Meteor Mash A downwards punch that will meteor smash opponents. (Stronger version of Little Mac's Down Aerial)

Grab:
A short range grab.

Pummel:
Iron Head Ram your hard head into your grabbed enemy.

Forward Throw:
Heavy Slam Jump forwards, slamming your foe.

Back Throw:
Bulldoze Push your opponent, grinding them against the ground before throwing them.

Up Throw:
Drill Run Throw your opponent upwards, followed by a drill punch. (The Drill Run would be a slightly weaker version of Little Mac's Up Special)

Down Throw:
Dig Slam your foe into the ground, putting them in pitfall state. Great for Combos.

Standard Special:
Rock Throw Throw a powerful rock! (Like Mii Brawlers Shot Put, but more powerful, and longer range.)

Side Special:
Rollout Roll a rock along the ground that will push opponents while dealing damage. (Like Greninja's Water Shuriken,though Rollout would last longer)

Up Special:
Smack Down Throw a rock upwards, leap up to catch it, and smash it downwards (Like Ike's Up Special)

Down Special:
Stone Edge Surround yourself with sharp stones that reflect projectiles.

Final Smash:
Rock Tomb Surround an opponent in rocks before smashing it, launching any opponents inside it. (Like Villagers final smash)

Do you have a Regirock moveset? Well post it in the replies and I'll add it to this thread!

Supporters
Thread Owner:
Derposaur

Supporters:
slambros

That's all for now, but before I leave, you can't forget what Kirby would look like if he swallowed Regirock ;)

Have a great day Smashers, and I hope you like the idea of Regirock being in Smash!

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I've always found the Regi trio to be interesting Pokemon, and honestly, I really like their design.

Although, it could also have to do with this...

However, I'm a bit skeptical about how deserving Regirock is when it comes to Smash Bros...

Regardless, this thread is actually really well made. Perhaps a bit overdue, but welcome to the boards, rookie. :pimp:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
A well made thread...sadly it was made when the Ballot has officially ended. A wee bit late on this, eh mate?

Derposaur

Smash Rookie
NNID
RobotHmsta
Perhaps a bit overdue, but welcome to the boards, rookie. :pimp:
A wee bit late on this, eh mate?
Yeah, unfortunately, I posted the thread after the ballot was over. The idea for Regirock came to me not that long ago, but atleast I managed to cast my ballot for him before it was over. I have my own doubts about whether Regirock could make it into SSB4, but I'd be willing to wait until Smash 5 before we see Regirock. It is a bit sad I came up with Regirock and his moveset so late, but people made threads asking for characters before the ballot, I don't see what's wrong with after the ballot ;)

Regardless, this thread is actually really well made.
A well made thread...
Thank You!

Top Bottom