• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recording Melee Without a Laptop On-Site

DCW

Smash Apprentice
I want to record matches at my own home and at friends' houses and weeklies so that I can analyze my gameplay. However, I don't want to have to take my laptop with me wherever I play. I'm looking for a recording option that doesn't require a laptop at the site of recording. (Of course a laptop / computer will always be necessary in the end to process the captured video.) Probably such a setup would store the video on a USB drive, but I'm open to any non-laptop option.

In this thread by Kadano Kadano , he mentions the Pinnacle Video Transfer as a no-laptop option. My question is, are there any others? If there are, how do they compare in quality and/or price?

My understanding of recording technology is very limited, so I apologize if the answer to this question is obvious to most. Thanks in advance!

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Until you find the right option for you, do what I do, smart phone it! Record, upload to YouTube, delete from phone, repeat. I do this at tournaments a lot. The phone doesn't even have to have service if Wi-Fi is available (most nationals).

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
20XX Tournament Edition will have the feature to save replays on a memory card, so it might be worth getting that.

Last edited:

DCW

Smash Apprentice
-ACE- -ACE- Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have a smartphone, so I can't use that option. My brother has an iPad, though, and we've been improvising recordings with that.

Kadano Kadano Sorry, I missed the mention in your main article that the Avermedia LGP didn't need a laptop. Under your description of the Avermedia LGP you say that

"To complete your setup, you need either a super low latency LCD / HD CRT with HDMI in or a fast component or HDMI → composite / S-Video / SCART RGB adapter so you can hook it up to your SD CRT."​

Most of the CRTs I play on are SD, so I guess I need "a fast component or HDMI → composite / S-Video / SCART RGB adapter." What would you recommend as some good options there? (Most likely I would choose to convert to composite.) Also, does it make a difference whether I choose to convert from component vs. HDMI?

Kadano

Magical Express
I actually don’t know of any affordable fast devices that do that job. I never used the Avermedia LGP, so I haven’t had a reason to look into that.

Converting from component is the better choice because getting it to HDMI in the first place usually adds a bit of lag.

DCW

Smash Apprentice
20XX Tournament Edition will have the feature to save replays on a memory card, so it might be worth getting that.
That's true. Do we know when the pre-orders ship? I thought they were supposed to ship in November, but my friends who pre-ordered haven't received theirs yet.

DCW

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, Kadano Kadano . I'll probably go with the Pinnacle Video Transfer, because it's cheaper on Ebay and I don't care too much about quality or streaming.

BTW, would something like Elgato Game Capture HD also work? It has a USB port, but maybe that's only to connect to your computer, not for a flash drive.Sorry for my ignorance. : p

Kadano

Magical Express
Yeah, that’s only for PC, not for flash drive. You’d need a gender reverser anyway (and it still woulyn’t work).

Top Bottom